What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/31)

You are definitely correct there.

It should also be noted Bobo has been awful in rivalry games at CSU, it is one of the main criticisms of him as a head coach. The fans may place emphasis on the RMS than the coach does.

I think that's absolutely true-he's 2-7 against us, Wyoming, and AFA combined in his time there. He's never beaten us, and they've lost to the other two the last two years.

No doubt that Mac and the team take the game seriously but at the same thing there is always something to be said about being told you are going to lose a game all week versus the team that is told they are supposed to win. That is where I usually see the difference in the game between the two fam bases and teams.

The reason this game is important for CU is because it sets the tone for the whole season. If CU loses, we know it's going to be a really bad year.

There is a reason CU is 3-1 since Mac got here. He takes CSU seriously. He makes sure the players take CSU seriously. Fans should probably take it seriously as well.
I take CSU every bit as serious as I take New Hampshire. Respect is earned, not given and that is the respect they've earned.

This game does tell CU fans something....if CU loses then we are all in for a long awful season. If CU wins a close game then maybe CU might be good enough to make a bowl. If CU throttles CSU, then CU probably makes a bowl and could be a better than average PAC12 team.

I take CSU every bit as serious as I take New Hampshire. Respect is earned, not given and that is the respect they've earned.

This game does tell CU fans something....if CU loses then we are all in for a long awful season. If CU wins a close game then maybe CU might be good enough to make a bowl. If CU throttles CSU, then CU probably makes a bowl and could be a better than average PAC12 team.

If CU starts 2-0, I think we're a team that can contend for the division (especially with as wide open as it is).

I wouldn't say that the CU players and coaches treat the game like a rivalry game.

Since McIntyre took over they take it seriously as they should. CSU is a team that if CU doesn't take them seriously can beat CU and since they are always up for the game given that opportunity will beat CU.

There is a big difference in the importance of the game though. CSU, good season or bad in their other games, fans care a great deal about winning the CU game. It makes or breaks their season, it is the game they remember. The players, coaches, and AD knows this. Beat CU and they have more fans in the seats the rest of the season. Win or lose against Wyoming or Air Force or Boise they go first to the CU game.

For CU losing to CSU is a bad look. They need the win if they want to be in a bowl game or in a better bowl game. Unless they lose and it hurts them though it isn't the game fans, coaches, and players focus on.

In our 10 win season a couple years ago was the CSU game a key game? When that season is discussed nobody talks about CSU, they talk about beating Oregon, beating Stanford, and what could have been had we beat USC. Those are the games that matter enough to be the focus of a season .

I wouldn't say that the CU players and coaches treat the game like a rivalry game.

Since McIntyre took over they take it seriously as they should. CSU is a team that if CU doesn't take them seriously can beat CU and since they are always up for the game given that opportunity will beat CU.

There is a big difference in the importance of the game though. CSU, good season or bad in their other games, fans care a great deal about winning the CU game. It makes or breaks their season, it is the game they remember. The players, coaches, and AD knows this. Beat CU and they have more fans in the seats the rest of the season. Win or lose against Wyoming or Air Force or Boise they go first to the CU game.

For CU losing to CSU is a bad look. They need the win if they want to be in a bowl game or in a better bowl game. Unless they lose and it hurts them though it isn't the game fans, coaches, and players focus on.

In our 10 win season a couple years ago was the CSU game a key game? When that season is discussed nobody talks about CSU, they talk about beating Oregon, beating Stanford, and what could have been had we beat USC. Those are the games that matter enough to be the focus of a season .

To your other point, we do talk about CSU in the sense that beating the hell out of them set the tone for the entire season two years ago, and it does set the tone. We punked them in 2016, and we had probably the best season this program has had since 2001. We beat them by a couple scores despite an embarrassing performance from our offense, and we went 5-7 last year. Yeah-this game does set the tone to a certain extent-but first games can if you're anyone. Look at 2016 USC for an example-they lose an ugly opener to Alabama, and sputter along for three games (while playing two QBs IIRC), and Clay Helton saved their season and maybe his job by making Darnold the full time starter.

On another note, one problem with the bolded statement in Mtn's post-CSU hasn't won a game against Boise State.

http://www.winsipedia.com/boise-state/vs/colorado-state

Last edited:
To your other point, we do talk about CSU in the sense that beating the hell out of them set the tone for the entire season two years ago, and it does set the tone. We punked them in 2016, and we had probably the best season this program has had since 2001. We beat them by a couple scores despite an embarrassing performance from our offense, and we went 5-7 last year. Yeah-this game does set the tone to a certain extent-but first games can if you're anyone. Look at 2016 USC for an example-they lose an ugly opener to Alabama, and sputter along for three games (while playing two QBs IIRC), and Clay Helton saved their season and maybe his job by making Darnold the full time starter.

On another note, one problem with the bolded statement in Mtn's post-CSU hasn't won a game against Boise State.

http://www.winsipedia.com/boise-state/vs/colorado-state

They haven't had much luck against Air Force either.

To many (most) of their fans this isn't a big deal. Their big question is did you beat CU?

Simple fact is that in those years that CSU has managed to beat CU their fans consider it a successful season. Whatever else they do is gravy.

At the same time go to and win a bowl, even a number of years back when they won their conference that was secondary and the season wasn't a good one because they had lost to CU.

I found a place that will sell me a truck load of used batteries for $1.00 per 10 pounds. Anyone know of any deals on marsh mallows? I can't make it to the game but I will pay the freight bill to whoever wants them.

Wrong thread. This belongs in the NU hate thread.
HandmadeHollowBuckeyebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Inject this kool aid straight into my bloodstream.

Have you seen the 3 teams we play after our first 2?
All home games. New Hampshire, a Friday night game against a possible terrible UCLA team and another game against the team that has a unproven HC and is picked by most to finish dead last in the division. No excuse to lose any of those 3. Really no excuse to be worse than 4-1 going into LA. Nebraska is the only one of the first 5 that I see us having a good chance of losing and even a win in Lincoln is not far fetched.

Have you seen the 3 teams we play after our first 2?
All home games. New Hampshire, a Friday night game against a possible terrible UCLA team and another game against the team that has a unproven HC and is picked by most to finish dead last in the division. No excuse to lose any of those 3. Really no excuse to be worse than 4-1 going into LA. Nebraska is the only one of the first 5 that I see us having a good chance of losing and even a win in Lincoln is not far fetched.
Oh I'm not saying you're insane. I can talk myself into it. Just that CU hasn't started 5-0 since the year I was born.

True, one of the factors in the past was that CSU always had a number of guys from Colorado who had a big chip on their shoulders after being passed over by CU. In their minds they believed (as any good competitor should) that they were good enough to play for the "big time" program in the state and that getting passed over was an insult. Many had been in contact with CU coaches in the recruiting process and had camped or taken unofficial visits in Boulder.

You are right in that it seems a lot more of those types of kids are now going to Laramie.

That chip though is still there even when it is not from Colorado kids. CSU recruits a very similar footprint to CU. Lots of their California kids talked with CU coaches and wanted CU offers that never came.

Biggest factor though is still the fan influence. CSU players can't go without being asked about the CU game. In the dorms the regular students don't ask them about the Utah State game or even the SDSU game, it is are you going to beat CU.

For their fans the success of the season is heavily balance on the outcome of the RMS. Players and coaches can't get away from that.
Sounds like a legit statement. Lots of players from CA, TX, FL, GA...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/36/colorado-state-rams

In general, the RMS tends to play out the way it should. Very rarely are there flukes.

We beat them in 2013 almost entirely due to them not being able to cover PRich. We got beat up in 2014 by CSU and not surprisingly, looked pretty bad against the rest of the schedule while CSU won a bunch of games. We killed them in 2016 and ended up being a goid team while they hobbled to a bowl game. Last year, neither team looked particularly good and both teams just kinda stumbled through the whole season.
Ergo, my feel for the need of "style points" against CSU, vice a "just win" attitude. Barely win/loss = crappy season (these days).

While I believe we will improve this year, I think the same for CSU. CSU has an upgrade at QB and seemingly general talent and experience upgrade throughout the team with the possible exception of o line. But we all know CSU reloads at o line quickly, so that is likely not a concern for them. I think we’ll have our hands full and need to play a much better game than we did last year.

While I believe we will improve this year, I think the same for CSU. CSU has an upgrade at QB and seemingly general talent and experience upgrade throughout the team with the possible exception of o line. But we all know CSU reloads at o line quickly, so that is likely not a concern for them. I think we’ll have our hands full and need to play a much better game than we did last year.
Phil Steele disagrees. He thinks this is a big rebuild year for them.

An upgrade at QB? Explain your thought there. Carta-Samuels was like..........3rd string at UW?

An upgrade at QB? Explain your thought there. Carta-Samuels was like..........3rd string at UW?
Just going by the few articles I’ve read. Obviously those articles are going to be positive, but it sounds like he is looking good (and he was a highly sought after guy when UW got him).

Just going by the few articles I’ve read. Obviously those articles are going to be positive, but it sounds like he is looking good (and he was a highly sought after guy when UW got him).
Stevens got a cup of coffee in the NFL. What articles say the Rams upgraded?

Back