What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/31)

55-10. die in a fire sheep, well, to be specific, after a nice marinade and being tossed on a stick with some fresh veggies and bbq'd. the only good lamb is a grilled lamb.

Like us, there is not a single returning 1st or 2nd team All-Conference player on CU’s team. Nobody who would be deemed a “difference maker”. There are probably not 2 Buff players that would start for Florida and less than 5 that would crack Arkansas’s starting lineup. Heck, there aren’t 8 guys that would start for Boise.

wpid-tyrion-k.gif

HAHAHAHA GIF stolen. I laughed for a minute straight at this.

Guys, can we please tone it down in here? As a fan base, we are really getting ahead of ourselves and becoming far too arrogant and overconfident about this matchup. We better come to cheer just as loud as if CSU had won last weekend and not be overlooking them. Just need to go 1-0 this week, no looking to next week!
Fans have nothing to do with it. Get a grip.

55-10. die in a fire sheep, well, to be specific, after a nice marinade and being tossed on a stick with some fresh veggies and bbq'd. the only good lamb is a grilled lamb.
I also like it in the pressure cooker...

That most recent cubuffs.com article really portrays CSU as pretty darn good. To be expected since most of the article is an interview of MikeMac. Nonetheless, I think we will have our hands full on Friday. We should win, but it is going to be a tough game. This game means everything to them. I think many of you underestimate CSU and the perceived talent differential.

That most recent cubuffs.com article really portrays CSU as pretty darn good. To be expected since most of the article is an interview of MikeMac. Nonetheless, I think we will have our hands full on Friday. We should win, but it is going to be a tough game. This game means everything to them. I think many of you underestimate CSU and the perceived talent differential.
I agree, the talent differential is much larger than most realize.

I tend to agree. Some points to consider: UH is improved beyond expectations this year, especially offensively. That was a new offensive scheme UH debuted and the ewes were caught flat-footed. The ewes WR corp is really good. If given time in the pocket to throw, their QB will have some success and those WRs will get open against an unproven set of Buff corners. To me that’s the key to the game - can the Buff front seven shut down the run game, force the ewes into passing situations, and get pressure on the QB to throw off timing? Defensively, the ewes don’t present much of a challenge to the Buff offense, IMO. Too many weapons, and too much experience.

I tend to agree. Some points to consider: UH is improved beyond expectations this year, especially offensively. That was a new offensive scheme UH debuted and the ewes were caught flat-footed. The ewes WR corp is really good. If given time in the pocket to throw, their QB will have some success and those WRs will get open against an unproven set of Buff corners. To me that’s the key to the game - can the Buff front seven shut down the run game, force the ewes into passing situations, and get pressure on the QB to throw off timing? Defensively, the ewes don’t present much of a challenge to the Buff offense, IMO. Too many weapons, and too much experience.
Well we have no idea if Hawaii is improved beyond expectations this year. You are talking about a 3-9 football team that most of their top players from 2017 that was picked to finish 5th in their division only ahead of San Jose State. Yes they have a good receiving group in terms of G5 teams but there is a huge difference between going against basically the worst pass defense in the country and a P5 team that has done a great job developing and coaching defensive backs. Also keep in mind that CU won't get tired in the second half like Hawaii did either.

I am not convinced of their offensive greatness. They could only muster 7 points against Hawaii at home. That is, until they were down 30 and Hawaii started playing more prevent and was probably getting gassed at altitude.

Last year they also exploded in the second half of their first game and how much did they score against a lousy Buffs D again?

At least they have our attention.

I am not convinced of their offensive greatness. They could only muster 7 points against Hawaii at home. That is, until they were down 30 and Hawaii started playing more prevent and was probably getting gassed at altitude.

Last year they also exploded in the second half of their first game and how much did they score against a lousy Buffs D again?

At least they have our attention.
They definitely seemed to figure some things out. If Hawaii was in a prevent then those long balls wouldn't have been as effective because there would have been more guys back. There were also a couple of other factors that could have helped them though. Hawaii has a pretty terrible pass defense, they were playing with a huge lead and lacked urgency, and it was the final quarter of their first game at altitude so they were probably a little gassed. KJ did a great job with ball placement but there isn't really any question in my mind we will be able to get a lot more pressure on him that Hawaii.

I'm glad CSU went off like that in the second half which ensures that CU's players will be focused this week instead of next week in Lincoln.

Weird take. CSU will have to make a choice: play off CU's WRs and give up 7-12 yards on the slant or attack them at the line of scrimmage and give up 20+ yards over the top.
That’s kind of my take as well. CSUs defense isn’t good enough to play straight up. They will have to give something up, either in the running game or passing game. If I were their DC, I’d be crowding the line of scrimmage and forcing Montez to beat them with his arm.

That’s kind of my take as well. CSUs defense isn’t good enough to play straight up. They will have to give something up, either in the running game or passing game. If I were their DC, I’d be crowding the line of scrimmage and forcing Montez to beat them with his arm.
I would not.

Montez put up really good numbers through the air last year. Lindsay is gone, CU is unproven at running back. Take away the passing game and see if CU O-line and running game is worth anything.

I would not.

Montez put up really good numbers through the air last year. Lindsay is gone, CU is unproven at running back. Take away the passing game and see if CU O-line and running game is worth anything.
I get your point, but I think the only way to truly defend CUs passing game is to take away the threat of the play action and put pressure on the QB. Long passes are harder to connect on than short ones. You’ll give up some big plays, but hopefully not so many that your offense can’t compensate.

That’s just my take. We will see what they try to do on Friday.

I really liked our gameplan in 2016 and would like us to run something similar this year. Healthy doses of runs up the gut, mix in read options with Montez- forcing the defense up, and then some play action downfield to Viska or Winfree.
Just have to get those safeties closer and closer to the line of scrimmage and Viska/Winfree should be a nightmare downfield for those corners.

Chev is going to want to throw. I would actually go heavy coverage on Montez and see if Chev is going to be willing to take what is given to him in the running game.... it would be a good test of Chev's stubborness

Back