What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Spring Camp Thread

Just watched the Youtube version of the interview since it has closed captioning but my take away is that some kids just don't want to compete every day. I wonder if they know that NFL teams will be watching those videos when they are vying for a career in that league. Saw some comments regarding Purify and Brown...didn't those two start #3 and #4 on the depth chart in 2001 and ended up running circles around the Huskers that November?

Totally agree. These days players can't even consider accepting a "role" for a season when they are a Frosh/Soph as their body develops. NIL is what it is, but if you are a great player, the NFL is still your lottery although less than 2%. You have to compete whereever.

Enjoyed you bringing up the 2001 guys because I was thinking of them this morning. EB was the RB coach. That camp opened with Marcus Houston, Cortlen Johnson (Sr), Brown (JC), Purify, Drumm (FB), and I'm sure a few others too. As fall camp started, it was an open position battle. Marcus Houston lost out, press had hot mess field day/drama, and he transferred to CSU. Won't repeat what EB said, but as a coach the RB product put on the field was exceptional and the player evaluations were right on. It was actually a 3-headed RB monster, 4 if you count FB Drumm.

2001 we had a great OL, best TE in the nation, and hard hitting FB in Drumm. Brown and Purify carried the load as hard runners, but Johnson (smaller scat/APB) played an enormous role on 3rd down--he was the best pass blocker, great catching the ball, and could run a bit too. Johnson did not have the Brown/Purify numbers or carries but he bailed them out tons of times. I think he was drafted like 5-6th round.

All those guys knew was that they had a shot, injuries happened, and the next guy(s) then took more of a role for X game. All 3 had NFL shots and I think made rosters--Brown perhaps led the NFL in rushing one year. Although he left on bad terms, I still think MH would have been a great back (NFL caliber in at least in making a roster) except for the horrible knee injury that he could never recover.

With the Prime chaos theme in mind that 2001 season:

1. We had major QB drama that season. Blue-Chip 4* starter Ochs threw the bad end zone pick v. Fresno in the home opener; he got hurt/GB's doghouse and Pesevento (a JC pick-up) took over. Pez was a decent QB (very timely) but not very talented throwing or running. Klatt was way more talented than Pez (sorry Pez). Ochs eventually left the team finishing at Montana or Montana State.

2. The defense was great at times and had some talent (some guys drafted), but did so playing quite a few players--it was sort of no-name compared to the 90's. The home loss to Fresno was not a good start. The Nubs game is legendary, however the B12 championship game v. Texas was a gem. Texas just thrashed CU in regular season game in all three fascets--their O was unstoppable as we were totally out athelted; our O was dominated etc... Then in the P12 Championship all of sudden LB's were dropping into the Chris Simms passing lanes; Simms starts banging his hand on his helmet like Romanowsk and "dazed and confused" on the phone to the OC box; CU gets to run/Graham hauls in a great catch; and just madness.

As I recall, Chris Brown either played another season (NFL had age limit?) or went 1st round in the NFL draft. Then Purify had a season as the main guy and he was drafted too.

For DE and other younger players, it just seems there is no concept of patience; practicing at a high level while protecting your body; waiting for bodies to develop/minimize injuries; and attempting to set up well for that NFL dream. In having less draft rounds and recent NFL trends, it seems like they want older guys. However, now with the players having agents/advisors, I suppose it is partly the NIL bag but still mostly NFL opportunties. You fall a bit on the depth chart or role diminshed. . . time for the agent to get on the phone. Your agent/advisor has to pump your ego...

Amazing. There was a guy on our team in HS. Legit 4.3 40. Recruited by everybody. Talent through the roof. Signed with aTm, lasted one semester. Kicked out for smoking weed. Anyone of us would have killed to have the athletic talent he had and he just threw it away. For us average to below average former athletes, it is hard to fathom.
Having that kind of speed and athleticism sounds exhausting. And then the expectation to use it competitively? Horrible.

Last edited:
I’m likely in the minority but I did not see DE show the ability to make guys miss. Certainly was explosive but how many big plays did he make? Granted the OL was bad. But I’d have expected him to make some plays in space despite that, but did not see him ever brake break ankles.

Last edited:
Why are people here so high on Brown? Resume seems very similar to the transfer guys that started last year. I get the sympathy vote after the NCAA screwed him, but..
Not taking a position it's wrong at all, I'm just curious why.
Because he's a very good OLineman. Simples.

Why are people here so high on Brown? Resume seems very similar to the transfer guys that started last year. I get the sympathy vote after the NCAA screwed him, but..
Unclear what this has to do with my comment

Knowing what you know about Prime, if he sucked, he wouldn't still be here....

Cormani being told he was going to start if he was on time for meetings, watch film and show up to practice, and Cormani proceeds to do none of those three things is wild. I can understand being late for meetings and not watching film, but how do you just not show up for practice?
If you’re in a bathroom at the practice facility, that has to count, right??

Totally agree. These days players can't even consider accepting a "role" for a season when they are a Frosh/Soph as their body develops. NIL is what it is, but if you are a great player, the NFL is still your lottery although less than 2%. You have to compete whereever.

Enjoyed you bringing up the 2001 guys because I was thinking of them this morning. EB was the RB coach. That camp opened with Marcus Houston, Cortlen Johnson (Sr), Brown (JC), Purify, Drumm (FB), and I'm sure a few others too. As fall camp started, it was an open position battle. Marcus Houston lost out, press had hot mess field day/drama, and he transferred to CSU. Won't repeat what EB said, but as a coach the RB product put on the field was exceptional and the player evaluations were right on. It was actually a 3-headed RB monster, 4 if you count FB Drumm.

2001 we had a great OL, best TE in the nation, and hard hitting FB in Drumm. Brown and Purify carried the load as hard runners, but Johnson (smaller scat/APB) played an enormous role on 3rd down--he was the best pass blocker, great catching the ball, and could run a bit too. Johnson did not have the Brown/Purify numbers or carries but he bailed them out tons of times. I think he was drafted like 5-6th round.

All those guys knew was that they had a shot, injuries happened, and the next guy(s) then took more of a role for X game. All 3 had NFL shots and I think made rosters--Brown perhaps led the NFL in rushing one year. Although he left on bad terms, I still think MH would have been a great back (NFL caliber in at least in making a roster) except for the horrible knee injury that he could never recover.

With the Prime chaos theme in mind that 2001 season:

1. We had major QB drama that season. Blue-Chip 4* starter Ochs threw the bad end zone pick v. Fresno in the home opener; he got hurt/GB's doghouse and Pesevento (a JC pick-up) took over. Pez was a decent QB (very timely) but not very talented throwing or running. Klatt was way more talented than Pez (sorry Pez). Ochs eventually left the team finishing at Montana or Montana State.

2. The defense was great at times and had some talent (some guys drafted), but did so playing quite a few players--it was sort of no-name compared to the 90's. The home loss to Fresno was not a good start. The Nubs game is legendary, however the B12 championship game v. Texas was a gem. Texas just thrashed CU in regular season game in all three fascets--their O was unstoppable as we were totally out athelted; our O was dominated etc... Then in the P12 Championship all of sudden LB's were dropping into the Chris Simms passing lanes; Simms starts banging his hand on his helmet like Romanowsk and "dazed and confused" on the phone to the OC box; CU gets to run/Graham hauls in a great catch; and just madness.

As I recall, Chris Brown either played another season (NFL had age limit?) or went 1st round in the NFL draft. Then Purify had a season as the main guy and he was drafted too.

For DE and other younger players, it just seems there is no concept of patience; practicing at a high level while protecting your body; waiting for bodies to develop/minimize injuries; and attempting to set up well for that NFL dream. In having less draft rounds and recent NFL trends, it seems like they want older guys. However, now with the players having agents/advisors, I suppose it is partly the NIL bag but still mostly NFL opportunties. You fall a bit on the depth chart or role diminshed. . . time for the agent to get on the phone. Your agent/advisor has to pump your ego...
Great summary. For Brown, he actually started at Northwestern with Barnett, but GB switched him to WR, so Brown transferred to JC.
As for 2002, he was in the Heisman discussion until he missed the last 2.5 games with an injury, then skipped his senior season for the draft - 3rd round I believe.

Reactions: GRM
I highly recommend spending the 12 minutes to listen.
There's no doubt that Cormani would not get with the program and put in the necessary time and work - for over a year.

DE's situation is much less understandable. Last Friday, CP and Shurmur did a video piece where they talked about how important DE was to 2024 success, how they were scheming to get him the ball more. Given that he quit 4 days later, you can bet CP knew it was possible DE was going to transfer, and the video was an attempt to get him to stay.

Either there is so much new NIL money out there, that DE, and several other Buffs, have decided to jump ship, get a piece of the pie, or
The relationship between the coaches and a number of players has soured. CP on signing DE last year:

“It made it special (to sign Edwards) because I had a tremendous relationship with his parents,” Sanders said.

CU linebackers coach Andre’ Hart and cornerbacks coach Kevin Mathis also worked with Edwards in the Truth organization (peewee football).

“We’ve coached that kid since he was, I think, 5 or 6 years old, and his sibling,” Sanders said. “It’s a special bond, special tie with the family.”

I totally want the Buffs to be the best team in the nation. I want CP to lead us to glory.

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Back