What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 AZ SF Cody Williams (SIGNED to COLORADO)

I would still go all in on another Center and have Lovering be the backup. That is a Final Four Lineup with a very athletic Big. There could be lots of dunks and lobs available and that is not Lovering's game.
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

This is amazing, however, it could also mean that we know he is likely a 1 and done guy, or can a guy get out of his commitment and go to the G-League Ignite? If he is a 1 and done, then next season is everything to the Buffs, and Tad needs to go all in on winning lineups
I'm not expecting Williams to be 1 and done. He's consistently described as a long term prospect, even in that article just posted. Now don't get me wrong, I would love for that to be the case because that means he has a hell of a freshman season but realistically I'm thinking we get 2-3 seasons from him.

You do realize that defense is a huge part of the game?
Plus Lovering is showing an aptitude for passing and moving the ball.

With that kind of lineup he doesn't have to be a 20ppg guy. Play defense, move the ball, pick up some easy points off follows or time when his man goes to double.

The better your individual talents are the more important it is to have guys who are team contributors around them.

I'm not expecting Williams to be 1 and done. He's consistently described as a long term prospect, even in that article just posted. Now don't get me wrong, I would love for that to be the case because that means he has a hell of a freshman season but realistically I'm thinking we get 2-3 seasons from him.

Envisioning what 24-25 will look like with guys like KJ, Williams, LL, Ruffin, Allen, Diop, Andersen, etc. On my.

Ok, its time to start saving for Maul!

The only times we play decent defense this year are when Lovering is on the court. It's almost as if he quarterbacks our defense and makes his teammates more confident knowing he's patrolling behind them. But, what do I know... 🤷‍♂️
The drop off when he's not playing is very stark, imo. His ability to stay with guards in tight spaces is incredible, imo. Can he average 6 points a game next year? if so, success

He is solid on defense, but man, his offense around the hoop is brutal. I thought Tad was going to have an aneurysm when he scored close to the end of the CSU game he was so happy for him. Lovering then proceeded to brick the and+1. It’s pretty clear Tad loves the kid.

The way KJ is playing, the way Williams is being hyped, we will be lucky if they are on that 24-25 team.
LL is a great kid and good player, but with the wing play of KJ, Williams, TDS, and Allen, you must have a monster in the middle rebounding and dunking and following up Offensive Rebounds. You need a Deandre Jordan kind of guy under there. LL is not strong enough or tough enough for that job. He could do great on the second line to keep things rolling though.

The way KJ is playing, the way Williams is being hyped, we will be lucky if they are on that 24-25 team.
LL is a great kid and good player, but with the wing play of KJ, Williams, TDS, and Allen, you must have a monster in the middle rebounding and dunking and following up Offensive Rebounds. You need a Deandre Jordan kind of guy under there. LL is not strong enough or tough enough for that job. He could do great on the second line to keep things rolling though.
KJ isn't a wing. Allen isn't playing. TDS gives as much back on defense as he gives on offense. How many guys in college are a Deandre Jordan size?

Lovering is the best Center we could ever hope for on this team the next 2 seasons?
Lovering is a more valuable player than most guys currently getting minutes. CU doesn't collapse when TDS, Clifford, etc are on the bench, but it's happened multiple times when Lovering takes a breather.

Do you watch CU games? The defense falls apart without Lovering. He directs the defense and is usually the most vocal guy on the court. The spacing on offense tends to be better as well, since Lovering actually sets screens to free up the guards.

Dude. Deandre Jordans don't grow on trees. You are being completely ridiculous. Small guards also do not leave early and get drafted. It simply does not happen. KJ could be scoring 25 a game, and it would be a bad idea for him to leave early. He's scoring 17 on mediocre efficiency. I've had this discussion with people on this board previously when they were worried Kin was going to leave early.

I do hope Cody Williams comes in next year and then isn't on the 24-25 team. Because that would mean he had one of the best seasons in CU history.

Lovering is the best Center we could ever hope for on this team the next 2 seasons?
I don’t know why I’m going to put this much effort into this response when you haven’t listened to anyone else for the past few weeks about how wrong you are. But here goes. Yes, he’s just about the best we are capable of getting.

According to 247, Lovering was the 10th best center in his recruiting class and 64th overall prospect. The 9 centers ahead of him were:

1. Chet Holmgren - best recruit overall, 1 and done at Gonzaga, #2 draft pick, unattainable for CU. Also skinny and weak, something you can’t comprehend as being a starter at Center.

2. Jalen Duren - 1 and done at Memphis, #12 draft pick, unattainable for CU

3. Efton Reid - LSU then transfer to Gonzaga, likely would never consider CU, but also playing less than 5 min/game this season.

4. Nathan Bittle - Oregon. Averages 6ppg in under 20 minutes. Not really an upgrade.

5. Enoch Boakye - ASU. Barely plays, not really an upgrade.

6. Charles Bediako - Bama. 5ppg in 21 min. Not really an upgrade.

7. Jonas Aidoo - Tennessee. 4ppg in 17 min. Not really an upgrade.

8. Kaden Perry - Gonzaga. Hasn’t played this season. Not really an upgrade.

9. Samson Johnson - UCONN. Only played 1 game so far this year. Not really an upgrade.

Your idea of a better center is basically a myth. There aren’t many really good ones out there to begin with. The ones that are, go to proven programs for one/done years. The others, including Lovering, usually need at least a couple years to develop. So no, we can’t just go recruit a center who will immediately be better. Can you shut the **** up about it now?

Lovering is a more valuable player than most guys currently getting minutes. CU doesn't collapse when TDS, Clifford, etc are on the bench, but it's happened multiple times when Lovering takes a breather.

Do you watch CU games? The defense falls apart without Lovering. He directs the defense and is usually the most vocal guy on the court. The spacing on offense tends to be better as well, since Lovering actually sets screens to free up the guards.
Yes, I watch the games, and I just do not see this glue that LL provides, in fact, many times I feel like he is the weakness.
We are not yet the team that we can be once these other guys are playing together if that ever happens.
No KJ is not a wing, but he has a very diverse offensive game. TDS has a very nice offensive game, Williams has a unique offensive game, and Allen appears to have a dynamic offensive game. I am totally not knocking Lovering's game, it has improved every game, but we are not playing for 4th or 5th in the PAC, we need to shoot for the moon and I am just not seeing LL's game matching the dynamic firepower of the rest of the top players that could be on the court together in the future. There were some guys on Grambling State and UMass that were moving around and dunking all over us. LL is not physical enough to stop that and we are not talking about Duke and UCLA. If he is as good as you all feel, then he will sub in nicely with the starters and can solidify the second unit. I think that there could be a big powerful transfer dude that would fit nicely with this outside shot-making and driving that can happen with KJ's point leadership and the other guys. If Lovering keeps proving me wrong when we play the big dogs, great, I just feel it is a soft spot in the future that could bite us. I want the Buffs in the Elite 8 next year minimum, that is all.

I don’t know why I’m going to put this much effort into this response when you haven’t listened to anyone else for the past few weeks about how wrong you are. But here goes. Yes, he’s just about the best we are capable of getting.

According to 247, Lovering was the 10th best center in his recruiting class and 64th overall prospect. The 9 centers ahead of him were:

1. Chet Holmgren - best recruit overall, 1 and done at Gonzaga, #2 draft pick, unattainable for CU. Also skinny and weak, something you can’t comprehend as being a starter at Center.

2. Jalen Duren - 1 and done at Memphis, #12 draft pick, unattainable for CU

3. Efton Reid - LSU then transfer to Gonzaga, likely would never consider CU, but also playing less than 5 min/game this season.

4. Nathan Bittle - Oregon. Averages 6ppg in under 20 minutes. Not really an upgrade.

5. Enoch Boakye - ASU. Barely plays, not really an upgrade.

6. Charles Bediako - Bama. 5ppg in 21 min. Not really an upgrade.

7. Jonas Aidoo - Tennessee. 4ppg in 17 min. Not really an upgrade.

8. Kaden Perry - Gonzaga. Hasn’t played this season. Not really an upgrade.

9. Samson Johnson - UCONN. Only played 1 game so far this year. Not really an upgrade.

Your idea of a better center is basically a myth. There aren’t many really good ones out there to begin with. The ones that are, go to proven programs for one/done years. The others, including Lovering, usually need at least a couple years to develop. So no, we can’t just go recruit a center who will immediately be better. Can you shut the **** up about it now?
Tell you what, I will shut up and watch him play the next 5 games very closely and will come back with my updated opinion after the Cal game.
Hope you are all correct and he takes us to the top.

Tell you what, I will shut up and watch him play the next 5 games very closely and will come back with my updated opinion after the Cal game.
Hope you are all correct and he takes us to the top.
Why is it up to Lovering to take us to the top? Tell me what it is about guys like TDS and Allen that have you so sure they are the guys who will take us to the top. TDS is a sieve on defense, his foot speed kills our defense on switches and any quicker wing just blows by him. Allen looked completely lost in his 2 minutes of action against CSU scrubs when the ball wasn't in his hands or when he had to cover someone. It just seems strange to me that you think the only thing holding CU back is Lovering, a guy who alters a number of shots each game, can switch and cover guards, can get the rest of his teammates in the correct defensive position, and actually screen for CU's guards and wings.

It's a shame that Lovering's impact isn't more obvious statistically or on the offensive end. We are WAY off topic for this thread, but w/e.

However, his impact is obviously there. He is a +++ defensive player ALREADY. Josh Scott was never this good defensively, imo, and Lovering is often the only big guy battling for boards because Da Silva is allergic to the glass. He is a guy that every coach wishes they had, I'll tell you that.

Cody Williams' biggest deficiency as a prospect appears to be the defensive side of the ball, which means that he joins KJ and Da Silva with that distinction. The only two guys I trust completely on defense right now are Lovering and Clifford, with Hadley playing a solid third option. Williams' arrival will likely mean less minutes for all of Clifford/Da Silva/Hadley, which means that he will have to pick up some slack defensively

It's a shame that Lovering's impact isn't more obvious statistically or on the offensive end. We are WAY off topic for this thread, but w/e.

However, his impact is obviously there. He is a +++ defensive player ALREADY. Josh Scott was never this good defensively, imo, and Lovering is often the only big guy battling for boards because Da Silva is allergic to the glass. He is a guy that every coach wishes they had, I'll tell you that.

Cody Williams' biggest deficiency as a prospect appears to be the defensive side of the ball, which means that he joins KJ and Da Silva with that distinction. The only two guys I trust completely on defense right now are Lovering and Clifford, with Hadley playing a solid third option. Williams' arrival will likely mean less minutes for all of Clifford/Da Silva/Hadley, which means that he will have to pick up some slack defensively
Williams isn't cutting into Da Silva's minutes. Williams is a point guard.

I agree that Williams can be a lead guard in college, but do we really think that we're cutting KJ's minutes next year? Would imagine they play together a lot
Yeah, they will be, but I still don't see TDS as the guy losing minutes. More Clifford or Hammond. Of course we have to replace all of Gabbidon's and Wright's minutes too... I'd be down to start replacing those minutes right now.

I am expecting Cody to start next year with around 20 minutes a game, but I do think that increases as the season goes on. Every scouting report on him says he is a long-term prospect, so I am keeping him at arms length at first

Last edited:

Let's set this straight - Hadley is a MUCH MUCH better defender than Clifford.

Back