What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A&M To The SEC Nearly A Done Deal ??

I could see Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida (and anyone who makes his living on the recruiting trail in Florida, really) rejecting Florida State if it comes to a vote ... and it takes 4 to reject. They lose their "Wanna play in the SEC?" pitch if it happens ...

A Florida based school in the SEC has it made. Having UF, FSU and the Canes in the same conference would be epic tho.

I could see Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida (and anyone who makes his living on the recruiting trail in Florida, really) rejecting Florida State if it comes to a vote ... and it takes 4 to reject. They lose their "Wanna play in the SEC?" pitch if it happens ...

A Florida based school in the SEC has it made. Having UF, FSU and the Canes in the same conference would be epic tho.

I think the recruiting aspect is overrated. Florida State goes up against all those schools right now, not only in Florida either. Alabama and Georgia prospects are also hotly contested between those schools. Florida State wins their fair share already.

This whole mess is analagous to the kid that has tries to live with roommates but can never get along, the only answer is living alone. The only answer for UT is independence, if BYU can pull it off you'd think mighty Texas could.

The difference is the BYU was perfectly fine with sending their non-football sports off to the WCC. Texas needs the Big 12 so that they have a respectable conference for their non-football sports, which they do care about.

I think the recruiting aspect is overrated. Florida State goes up against all those schools right now, not only in Florida either. Alabama and Georgia prospects are also hotly contested between those schools. Florida State wins their fair share already.

Yep, and FSU would arguably be in a better position if they were in the SEC instead of the ACC, wouldn´t they?

Completely agree. This would be a move to completely own the state of Florida. USF is kind of a commuter school, UCF definitely is (and is in a non-BCS conference), and Miami is a private city school. Miami will get its share from the Miami-Dade-Broward hotbed, but the SEC would dominate.

For recruiting, that would give them a piece of the #1 Texas recruiting grounds (especially added to Arkansas, which does well there), dominance in the #2 Florida recruiting grounds, and dominance in other top ten states (Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama).

It would be a good move for the SEC.

Yep, and FSU would arguably be in a better position if they were in the SEC instead of the ACC, wouldn´t they?

Maybe. I think the schools that have more to lose as a result of FSU going to the SEC are schools like USF, UCF, and Miami to an extent. I think a school like Auburn would actually welcome a chance to have a bigger presence in Florida. Probably Georgia too.

No Miami in the SEC, they don't belong in that conference.

It would make some sense if those schools voted against it, but I would think that the $EC would have gotten some consensus from their members of who they would and wouldn't approve before they got this far into the process. Maybe not. It would be hilarious if they offered an invite and the members then turned around and said "no". :lol:

Just a question, not a statement, rumor, or anything other than pure speculation.

FSU to the SEC makes sense, strong football program, big revenue producing program with good TV appeal.

If the ACC were to lose FSU would they be interested in Mizzou and would Mizzou be interested in going. The ACC is an AQ conference with a big TV contract, equal revenue sharing, and a strong presence on the east coast. Mizzou has a decent history in football and basketball (big in the ACC) and would bring a strong TV presence in the midwest.

ACC could mitigate some of the damage in losing FSU, Mizzou could get away from Texas and stay in an AQ conference with solid revenue potential.

If true, this is gonna be epic. Aggie will get what they asked for, but they will get pounded in the SEC, even the SEC cellar dwellers are a step up from the Big 12-2 cellar dwellers. Vandy can still be their Baylor, but that is about it.

Just a question, not a statement, rumor, or anything other than pure speculation.

FSU to the SEC makes sense, strong football program, big revenue producing program with good TV appeal.

If the ACC were to lose FSU would they be interested in Mizzou and would Mizzou be interested in going. The ACC is an AQ conference with a big TV contract, equal revenue sharing, and a strong presence on the east coast. Mizzou has a decent history in football and basketball (big in the ACC) and would bring a strong TV presence in the midwest.

ACC could mitigate some of the damage in losing FSU, Mizzou could get away from Texas and stay in an AQ conference with solid revenue potential.

I think we'll be looking at a quick move to 16-team superconferences.

In that scenario, I see the Big East and ACC losing members to the SEC and Big 10 and then merging under the ACC banner with the best of the remaining Big East football schools. Programs like Cincinnati could be moving back to non-BCS status. As could TCU due to the non-geographic fit.

Bobbing heads on sports-talk radio this afternoon:

(1 good comment) - Sources from Arky say that aTm and FSU a done deal. gAggies have called a regents meeting for Monday (not previously scheduled), and the 'Noles set to announce in 2 weeks.

(1 off-the-wall comment) - uTerus will seek out Noter Dumb and try to create a new conference (how in the hell are they gonna work out all the tv dealings on that one).

(1 dumb comment) - BYU is the #1 target for conferences seeking another member.

TIFWIW.

^^^^This. I laughed my ass off when they went independent and predicted doom. But last night I was talking to my wife about all of this **** and realized that they just might be the smart guys in the room. Leave their lame conference make alot of huff about bieng independent, knowing full well it would just make it easier for them to climb on when the realignment happened.
Shoulda known those mormons are really smart in the business world.

SIAP, bu there is the link to the BoR meeting in Aggieland

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/pubomquery$omquery.queryview?P_OM_ID=136885&Z_CHK=33600

They are meeting on Monday, IMO this is going to happen, no way does the BoR schedule a lightning quick meeting to say we're staying in the B12-2. As soon as Beebe gets done cleaning DeLoss Dodds' pool, I'm sure he'll do his Iraqi Information Minister thing saying the B12-3 is stronger than ever and looking to add quality patsies, errr, teams for UT to spank, I mean to strengthen the conference.

BoR is meeting on Monday to get ahead of political forces trying to stop it. Done deal... Wow

This looks just like last year when the AD had completed negotiations with the Pac 10 and our regents met to give official approval. The aggies are gone. Hopefully SEC keeps it at 14 and we can just chill as we are while the Big 12-3 adds a **** load more duct tape and chicken wire with Houston or whoever to keep that clunker rolling along for a while longer.

the dominoes will really start to fall now... FSU leaving the ACC means they will be scrambling to replace FSU with ANYONE. who knows what will happen next? I don't think its automatic that 16 team super conferences are about to happen (if the ACC picks up a scrub and the Big 12 stays together, no sudden movement because the pac etc will be jockeying and negotiating with UT/OU and other schools while other conferences do the same), but it sure looks like the time table for it will be moved up.

One reason the SEC is doing this is definitely so they can revamp their media rights deal. They couldn't stand be surpassed by the pac 12. Where Larry Scott has shown the way, the masses will follow.

Didn't the B12-2 just announce a new TV deal? What does this do to that? I'm sure all it really means is that OU and UT will divide up what was going to aggie and leave everybody else to lick their boots.

Would be nice if there was conference peace for awhile. Obviously that just can't happen with UT acting the way they are. I really hope we stay at 12. Don't want to be stuck in a western pod. We are in such a good place in the PAC south.

Part of me wants the PAC to stay at 12 members, while the other half wants to read the meltdown at baylorfans.

Part of me wants the PAC to stay at 12 members, while the other half wants to read the meltdown at baylorfans.

Then what you want is for the Big Televewelve to swoop in and pick up UT and a few other Big Twelenine teams. Best of both worlds. Bailer gets ****ed and we don't get stuck with the wHorns in the process...

No more Ut dingle berries! The myth of Texas schools staying together forever ruined! Yes!

Some A&M fans said that the A&M President did the SEC chant at a graduation ceremony today or something like that. Take that as a sign that A&M to the SEC is a done deal.

Didn't the B12-2 just announce a new TV deal? What does this do to that? I'm sure all it really means is that OU and UT will divide up what was going to aggie and leave everybody else to lick their boots.

Apparently, most of the new television deals have "look-in" clauses to address if/when programs change conferences. I wish I could find where I read that.

If FSU also goes SEC, then who does ACC go after?

Syracuse (one of their original targets 7 years ago)
Pitt (makes alot of sense on many fronts)
West Virginia (probably not alone but in combo with Pitt if expanding past 12)
Louisville (similar to WVU but without the natural pairing)
Rutgers (pretty good overall fit but not as great as the above teams)
UConn (ditto)

Just 1 team, or 3 to get to 14 or 5 to get to 16?

Crazy times are here again!

If FSU also goes SEC, then who does ACC go after?

Syracuse (one of their original targets 7 years ago)
Pitt (makes alot of sense on many fronts)
West Virginia (probably not alone but in combo with Pitt if expanding past 12)
Louisville (similar to WVU but without the natural pairing)
Rutgers (pretty good overall fit but not as great as the above teams)
UConn (ditto)

Just 1 team, or 3 to get to 14 or 5 to get to 16?

Crazy times are here again!
Could potentially add UCF in there.

The arrogance of the some ACC people fascinates me.

And while the SEC has won the past five national championships in football, the ACC has finished first among BCS conferences in the NCAA's Academic Progress Ratings in each of those academic years.

Chancellors like to be aligned with other schools that possess highly regarded academic reputations. The big dollars of the SEC are enticing, but having an association with Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, North Carolina, Georgia Tech and Virginia is not to be underestimated when evaluating chancellors' motivations.

Another point is that in terms of football, the ACC schools would put themselves in danger of being considerably less competitive if they joined the SEC.

Virginia Tech dominates the ACC, but loses almost every time it plays a nonconference opponent of any estimation, with recent defeats coming to Boise State, East Carolina and even James Madison. Florida State gets thumped every year by Florida; why join the SEC and get clobbered by a bunch of other football powers, too?

Bottom line, except for the money in the SEC - which is enticing - there aren't many reasons to leave the ACC.

:lol:
Newsflash - Money IS the bottom line.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/08/12/2523999/academics-acc-sec-poaching.html

Back