What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Arizona Game - Official Thread (10/7, 6 PM, Pac-12 Network)

Come on man. The Buffs just gave up 45 points to an average Arizona team in a game that everyone marked as a win.

The negativity is annoying, but the "everything is fine" Leslie Nielsen routine is not much better.

Everyone except Gary Barnett. During the pre-game he kept talking about the talent of the AZ team and how we better be prepared because AZ looked at CU the way CU looked at them, as a win. Mark Johnson kept saying he had a very good feeling because the Buffs had a "sense of urgency" about them and the senior leaders knew what had to be done.

Some leaders lead by talking. With me, I lead with my play and my teammates counted on it. I only say this because it's the only way I can relate. Hope that's OK.

Mark Johnson kept saying he had a very good feeling because the Buffs had a "sense of urgency" about them and the senior leaders knew what had to be done.

wait...we have senior leaders(other the PL)? It sure hasn't been apparent this year and is the difference in winning close games last year and losing them this time around.

i still don't know why they didn't attack the spread last night. Get the fastest players on D and send them every play. Instead, they stood around waiting for the guy to juke them out of their jockstraps.

and damn, are there a bunch of whiny asses on this board. Get a life already.

I hope the team is already up this morning, I doubt it though. I don't even know if coaches could do that anymore, waking guys up at that hour. Who knows? They damn well should be, I know that. Phil could just sleep if he wanted, he actually showed up.

Last edited:
It was noted by Woelk that the regular az starter, Dawkins, was their leading rusher coming in to the game. Our D scheme had to have been tailored to stop QB keepers, which makes this even worse.

maybe we missed the punch Tumpkin provided

i was hoping when i woke up this am that i would feel better about this than last nite...i dont! that was just a horrible effort on d ...total lack of pride and effort....and mac’s post game comments left me feeling no better....he sounded ho hum about the whole debacle....thought i was in a time machine at folsom last nite back to the hawkins era

His post game presser was as embarrassing as his and his staff’s coaching on the field. None of his words were leader behavior. He is not the solution at CU.

Very disapointed. Where was McCartney last night? Lot of those plays were his responsibility. Our LB got blocked down and had no answer, while our DB ran down the field not even looking back for the ball carrier.

Everyone except Gary Barnett. During the pre-game he kept talking about the talent of the AZ team and how we better be prepared because AZ looked at CU the way CU looked at them, as a win. Mark Johnson kept saying he had a very good feeling because the Buffs had a "sense of urgency" about them and the senior leaders knew what had to be done.
That kind of talk will get Barnett fired.

az did the same thing to us 2 years ago, it was dawkins that came in as a freshman and stretched the field. Typical rich rodriguez asjustment.

That kind of talk will get Barnett fired.

Good for Gary. He should be telling the truth not pumping sunshine up every ones ass. He is paid by learfield not CU.
Very disapointed. Where was McCartney last night? Lot of those plays were his responsibility. Our LB got blocked down and had no answer, while our DB ran down the field not even looking back for the ball carrier.

Need to recruit better LBs with some speed to get to the running Qbs. very slow group that played last night. Plus maybe the coaches could try and get someone who can set an edge to help contain the QB.

I’m still completely stupefied that no adjustments were made as Tate simply toyed with our defense. Is this coaching staff completely inacapable of making in-game changes?

I’m still completely stupefied that no adjustments were made as Tate simply toyed with our defense. Is this coaching staff completely inacapable of making in-game changes?
This is the worst thing about yesterday. We did seem to adjust to a successful offensive game plan (give the ball to PL) but either AZ offense is so overwhelmingly talented that nothing worked, or we failed to adjust in a meaningful way. Given that the overwhelming AZ offensive talent didn’t show up the first 4 games, I’m thinking adjustment failure was the problem.

The D that shut down OOC opponents and performed well against UCLA (at least the DBs) had no answer for AZ.

This is the worst thing about yesterday. We did seem to adjust to a successful offensive game plan (give the ball to PL) but either AZ offense is so overwhelmingly talented that nothing worked, or we failed to adjust in a meaningful way. Given that the overwhelming AZ offensive talent didn’t show up the first 4 games, I’m thinking adjustment failure was the problem.

The D that shut down OOC opponents and performed well against UCLA (at least the DBs) had no answer for AZ.
At the game it looked like when Tate took off the defense parted for him. Almost negative pursuit, it made no sense.

At the game it looked like when Tate took off the defense parted for him. Almost negative pursuit, it made no sense.
It was weird. At one point he ran past two guys in the secondary standing not even looking in the correct direction.

We'll know what kind of loss this truly was after next week. If Tate puts up legit numbers against UCLA we'll know we were just unlucky to be the first team to face a true bad arse. If he goes out and rushes for 85 yards or something, then we really do suck on D. Let's wait and see.
After re-watching this morning I do know we made no significant adjustments in the 2nd half. Must have been fun for Rich Rod to see/know pre-snap that he was going to have hat on hat on every man in our front 7 and that all his QB was going to have to do was use his athletic ability once the ball was snapped.

Lack of leadership, both on O and D. Biggest difference this year to last.

No one hold anyone accountable. Penalties, lack of effort, etc.

I'd expect the locker room to implode in the next 2 -3 weeks.

Maybe Umu was an early sign

Much of this year it does look like things are a little tight on the sidelines. A lot of the players look tentative and checked-out. CU obviously misses Leavitt, even though he was kind of an autonomous loose cannon. The inter-coach chemistry seems weird. Not trying to be a psychologist, but some things about the vibe up there have really become strange.

The gameplan to go man coverage was part of the problem, but gap integrity and being awful at setting the edge and keeping contain was just as big of an issue. Blame the coaches because that’s easier than saying the players aren’t good enough or didn’t execute elementary fundamentals. Watching on TV, Yogi Roth routinely pointed out that the defensive call was fine and players were there to make plays but we’re simply out athleted by Tate. I also recall Moeller losing contain a number of times, once on Tate’s 28 yard TD run. CU doesn’t have the personnel to be successful against that scheme when it is being run at that level.

The gameplan to go man coverage was part of the problem, but gap integrity and being awful at setting the edge and keeping contain was just as big of an issue. Blame the coaches because that’s easier than saying the players aren’t good enough or didn’t execute elementary fundamentals. Watching on TV, Yogi Roth routinely pointed out that the defensive call was fine and players were there to make plays but we’re simply out athleted by Tate. I also recall Moeller losing contain a number of times, once on Tate’s 28 yard TD run. CU doesn’t have the personnel to be successful against that scheme when it is being run at that level.

The coaches are responsible for getting good personnel. You act as if there have been no questions about talent level on this team until now.

It was weird. At one point he ran past two guys in the secondary standing not even looking in the correct direction.
^^^This^^^. I think it was Laguda who was just happy he put his man down on the ground and was talking **** to him when Tate ran by. Never even saw him.

The coaches are responsible for getting good personnel. You act as if there have been no questions about talent level on this team until now.
Sort of. Can't really blame the defensive personnel on Eliot, Els and Brown right now.

My comment was more to the “Just make adjustments” crowd. I fully recognize recruiting is on the coaches, however, nobody on this defense was truly an Eliot recruit.

His post game presser was as embarrassing as his and his staff’s coaching on the field. None of his words were leader behavior. He is not the solution at CU.

Thanks for posting this. Mike needs to ditch the Aquafina bottle at pressers; I almost got hypnotized.

Back