What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones accepts offer to become next CU HC per the Denver Post

He'll meet with the (Cinci) team tomorrow and he's Boulder bound...watch and learn, n00bs

You willing to bet your rep on that?

I remember when Michigan jumped the gun on announcing Les Miles was going back to Ann Arbor after Lloyd Carr retired. Apparently it pissed off the Mad Hatter so much that he made the decision to stay at LSU ... with a substantial raise of course. And Michigan had to settle for Rich Rod, which turned into a disaster.

Last edited:

I remember when Michigan jumped the gun on announcing Les Miles was going back to Ann Arbor after Lloyd Carr retired. Apparently it pissed off the Mad Hatter so much that he made the decision to stay at LSU ... with a substantial raise of course. And Michigan had to settle for Rich Rod, which turned into a disaster.

Actually, pretty sure that one went: Les called the Michigan AD to accept the job, no one could find the AD b/c he was sailing that day (seriously), and so with nothing to confirm, and the bowl game coming up, Les had to pull out. Or something more to that effect.

I think the only explanation at this point is that he's stalling to gauge interest from Wiscy or possibly Tenn. No other explanation for this delay. All signs were that he would have an answer Monday until Wisconsin opened up and Tenn struck out with Strong.

What, like you pos rep me into the stars if I'm right? And if not, I'm just one of a million that threw a false prediction out there and I'm not remotely accountable for it?

I think the only explanation at this point is that he's stalling to gauge interest from Wiscy or possibly Tenn. No other explanation for this delay. All signs were that he would have an answer Monday until Wisconsin opened up and Tenn struck out with Strong.

Yeah, that's the only explanation :rolling_eyes:

its done baring the mayan apocalypse arriving early

What, like you pos rep me into the stars if I'm right? And if not, I'm just one of a million that threw a false prediction out there and I'm not remotely accountable for it?

No disrespect intended ... but you're the one that posted "He'll meet with the (Cinci) team tomorrow and he's Boulder bound...watch and learn, n00bs" as if you had some inside info or were quite certain for some other reason. There's been a lot of that going on here for the past week ... and I just don't see how it is any way constructive (also your "n00bs" comment came off a bit condescending IMO, although you may not have intended it as such).

It's this kind of speculation and unfounded comments made with apparent certainty that led to Kirk Herbstreit incorrectly reporting that Les Miles was taking the Michigan job in 2007 ... and which MAY have ultimately convinced him to stay at LSU.

Throughout the 2007 season, there was speculation that Les Miles would be a top candidate for the University of Michigan head coaching position if it became available. On the day of the SEC championship game Kirk Herbstreit incorrectly reported on ESPN's College GameDay that Les Miles had accepted an offer to succeed Lloyd Carr as the head coach at the University of Michigan.[4] LSU officials quickly responded to Herbstreit's announcement and confirmed that Les Miles would not be taking the Michigan position and would be staying at LSU.[5] Miles cleared up any confusion himself in a last minute press conference to reporters saying,

"There was some misinformation on ESPN and I think it's imperative that I straighten it out. I am the head coach at LSU. I will be the head coach at LSU. I have no interest in talking to anybody else. I've got a championship game to play, and I am excited about the opportunity of my damn strong football team to play in it. That's really all I'd like to say. It was unfortunate that I had to address my team with this information this morning. With that being done, I think we'd be ready to play. There will be no questions for me. I represent me in this issue. Please ask me after. I'm busy. Thank you very much. Have a great day."[6]

The speculation resurfaced two weeks later when The Detroit Free Press reported that Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman spoke with Miles directly over the phone a few days after he signed a contract extension with LSU.[7] In response to the report, Miles issued a statement acknowledging the conversation, but claimed that he was merely offering advice and assistance to Martin on Michigan's search and that he is not a candidate for the vacancy. Miles reaffirmed his commitment to stay at LSU, declaring "I'm going to be the coach at LSU next season." [8] Any remaining speculation that Miles would still consider the job ended on December 16, 2007 when West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez accepted the head coaching job at Michigan.[9]

All I'm saying is that all these posters who claim to have "inside sources" (not including you as one of these) and who then are proven to be spouting bull**** aren't contributing anything.

Pure speculation, but that makes some kind of logical sense to me.

Nope. The explanation that makes sense to me is that he accepted the job today but wants to tell his players in person and the earliest he can do that is tomorrow morning. He was hoping to keep it under wraps until then but with everyone so anxious about it, word slipped out. That's my guess.

I've had enough. I'm calling Independence CC every hour until Butch is photographed signing the contract.

I hope Jones is more decisive on the sidelines than he is in his personal life.

You are assuming he's being indecisive. He could be scheming, which sounds more likely to me (weighing other offers). I doubt this guy is some bozo who "just can't make up his mind".

Nope. The explanation that makes sense to me is that he accepted the job today but wants to tell his players in person and the earliest he can do that is tomorrow morning. He was hoping to keep it under wraps until then but with everyone so anxious about it, word slipped out. That's my guess.

That also sounds reasonable.

Why is it that everything Dear Ol' CU tries to do ends up looking like someone giving birth to a Beer keg sideways?

Look, life is messy. If you don't know that by now, you're really young. Few things go as planned. Give CU some credit for firing JE and stepping up with the $$$. You can't control everything.

This is most likely. I bet his agent called Woody and told him

Guys, it's rare that things are perfect. Look at Texas, they look foolish with the Muschamp "Head Coach in Waiting" thing. Bowden and Paterno would never leave and it got embarassing. USC's coach leaves right before scandal comes to light. Everyone seems to be turning down the Tenn job. Wisconson won't pay to keep any of their coaches. Miami is still Thug U, from players to boosters. The carnival surrounding Leach at Texas Tech? Mangino at Kansas. Notre Dame hiring a guy with a bogus resume. On and on and on....

This whole thing is so miserably typical of CU antics under this leadership's reign of terror. Our admin continues to show their total ineptitude. They can't even hire a new coach without totally screwing that up and making CU look like laughingstock.

This whole thing is so miserably typical of CU antics under this leadership's reign of terror. Our admin continues to show their total ineptitude. They can't even hire a new coach without totally screwing that up and making CU look like laughingstock.

I don't think this had anything to do with CU admin. I think this is Woody Paige and the Denver Post

I don't think this had anything to do with CU admin. I think this is Woody Paige and the Denver Post

They certainly arent doing anything about making sure we arent looking like chumps by the CFB nation. Not that they HAVE to, but they should keep the public informed.

They certainly arent doing anything about making sure we arent looking like chumps by the CFB nation. Not that they HAVE to, but they should keep the public informed.

They've been silent through this process, until tonight where they've released numerous statements supporting Butch's claim.

I don't like the CU admin - but I don't think they've done anything wrong tonight

This is what is really happening...

Butch Jones is just a puppet of The Junta, driving traffic to AllBuffs.

Back