What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

Okay sounds like we booked the flight with points but we gave him two free drink coupons to show him how serious we are.

He'd have to be drunk to take this job anyway. Hey, you don't think potential coaches read these threads do you?

No, but if there was mutual interest at this point I'm sure CU would have picked him up from wherever he was. I could be wrong, but I think he is Purdue bound.

I understand, but I think it would have been rude and overstepping our bounds by hounding him while at Purdue. Plus, he probably wanted to spend the evening at home. Also, you never know how long an interview might last.

You might be right though, as it's hard to complete with a school whose band has the world's largest drum.

yeah, never do that.

sure, you know. now.
i74hma.jpg

Or, it could be taken as Purdue didn't blow him away enough that he just stayed there for a press conference tomorrow to announce his hiring and called Bohn from his hotel room to say "Thanks, but no thanks"? So, he went home to prep for the CU interview?

I don't think we can be sure Jones is Bohn's favourite that is still available. If he is, than I hope he does come tomorrow and is sold on the upside potential. Sounds like his wife will likely come since she went to Purdue.

My personal experience is that wives have a lot to do with where the guy chooses to take a position when he has more than 1 option. Hopefully she likes the mountains more than the plains :)

I listen to all you idot's opinions. I have no clue who would be the best hire. So, I am reduced to listening to the opinions of idots. Which one of you is the least idotic? Only time will tell.

footballscoop.com reporting that Cinci is making a signifigant offer to keep him
I'm sure they are. They'd be stupid not to try. But given their conference challenges and facilities issues, I think Butch is gone-the question is where to.

I listen to all you idot's opinions. I have no clue who would be the best hire. So, I am reduced to listening to the opinions of idots. Which one of you is the least idotic? Only time will tell.

I don't think anyone can know ahead of time-which is why so many AD's who get paid the big bucks to figure this stuff, frequently get it wrong.

However I think there are ways you can minimize the risk of failure. My Master's is in HR and one of the things we learned that stuck with me was when interviewing people for positions in a company the best predictor of whether they will be successful in the role or not is to get some kind of work sample.

I.e. instead of relying on biased interviewing approaches and references and CVs, have the candidate actually perform a small but meaningful task which is similar to what they'd do in their job.

Where I am going with this is, I think this is why Bohn is so keen on getting someone with HC experience. The best way to reduce risk of failure of a new HC hire could arguably be to hire someone who is already a HC, ideally in a similar conference/stature, etc. who has succeeded in their most recent role.

Obviously there are tons of stories of wildly successful HCs who were never HCs before, but rather coordinators. I would argue that the risk is higher it won't pan out w/ a successful coordinator than with a successful HC.

Again, this is a generalization and there are so many other variables (e.g. have they ever succeeded in a turnaround). I would argue if they have that is another example of a work sample from prior employment that reduces the risk of them failing in another turnaround.

Criteria we've figured out doesn't work:

-hiring a HC from a smaller school that has never worked, in any capacity, at a BCS school
-hiring a career TE coach that never promoted from there
-hiring our hippy QB coach that had one foot out of the door wasn't the ticket either

Listen to Boyd. He's spot on with this one.

As I was reading that, I kept thinking about Al Golden. He was a BCS coordinator for 5 years and then turned around Temple as a HC. He's recruited well and has Miami going in the right direction despite the challenges there with NCAA sanctions hanging over their heads. One can assume that he's learned a lot from those 2 jobs and is a much better HC now than he was at the time he took over at Temple.

In short, a HC who has done it is a much lower risk hire than a coordinator.

As I was reading that, I kept thinking about Al Golden. He was a BCS coordinator for 5 years and then turned around Temple as a HC. He's recruited well and has Miami going in the right direction despite the challenges there with NCAA sanctions hanging over their heads. One can assume that he's learned a lot from those 2 jobs and is a much better HC now than he was at the time he took over at Temple.

I'm trying to keep hope alive that we have the slimmest of chances with either Strong or Golden.

i am thinking it is all but butch's job at this point, and i bet they offer more than the listed 2.5 million to make sure and get him. i would not be surprised at 3 to 3+.

i am thinking it is all but butch's job at this point, and i bet they offer more than the listed 2.5 million to make sure and get him. i would not be surprised at 3 to 3+.

Too much coin for Jones. If it takes $3+MM to land him, it's time to walk.

Thanks Nik-at least 1 person on AB once in a while agrees w/ something I have to say.:nod:

Applying the same philosophy to White Rabbits comments about our failures, you could easily come up with a risk profile for potential recruits:

Highest Risk to Lowest Risk:
-Position coach at a smaller university
-position coach at a similar university or NFL
-Coordinator at a small school
-Coordinator at a similar university (or greater)
-HC at a smaller school
-HC at a similar size school

Again there are so many other variables to consider like recruiting contacts, experience with turnarounds, strength on offense or defense, type of offense/defense, etc.

But as a first screen, I think following this logic we can see one reason why Embree failed and why Bohn is trying to minimize the risk by going with a proven HC at a similar size school.

CU or Purdue?

I can't imagine CU getting into a bidding war over a football coach, let alone actually win one.

Back