What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

cu. i think it is a lot, but i think bohn probably had to pony up as it might not have been the most desirable job, especially in light of recent allegations in the local media

Thanks Nik-at least 1 person on AB once in a while agrees w/ something I have to say.:nod:

Applying the same philosophy to White Rabbits comments about our failures, you could easily come up with a risk profile for potential recruits:

Highest Risk to Lowest Risk:
-Position coach at a smaller university
-position coach at a similar university or NFL
-Coordinator at a small school
-Coordinator at a similar university (or greater)
-HC at a smaller school
-HC at a similar size school

Again there are so many other variables to consider like recruiting contacts, experience with turnarounds, strength on offense or defense, type of offense/defense, etc.

But as a first screen, I think following this logic we can see one reason why Embree failed and why Bohn is trying to minimize the risk by going with a proven HC at a similar size school.

I agree totally. There are plenty of guys who have had careers as great coordinators that weren't successful as head coaches. Considering how down the program is, it'd be a huge gamble to take on of the hot commodity coordinators. If they aren't cut out for the job, CU will have dug itself in an even deeper hole.

I could care less if we have to pay $3m/yr to get the right coach to turn this around. Hell, we lost almost that much in ticket sales alone this year w/ Water Bottle. It was going to be worse next year. And that doesn't even count the other lost revenue from merchandise sales, etc. And what price does CU put on its brand.

We are now in the big boy club in the Pac 12 and we have to step up. The Admin and Bohn are saying the right things now-let's see if the put their money where their mouths are.

I could care less if we have to pay $3m/yr to get the right coach to turn this around. Hell, we lost almost that much in ticket sales alone this year w/ Water Bottle. It was going to be worse next year. And that doesn't even count the other lost revenue from merchandise sales, etc. And what price does CU put on its brand.

We are now in the big boy club in the Pac 12 and we have to step up. The Admin and Bohn are saying the right things now-let's see if the put their money where their mouths are.

i can agree with this and if we land butch jones, i think it will be a good thing. he is a solid coach, but i am nore interested in who his staff would be.

i am thinking it is all but butch's job at this point, and i bet they offer more than the listed 2.5 million to make sure and get him. i would not be surprised at 3 to 3+.

I'm not high on Jones at all, but if it takes $3m to land him we must be the worst job in all of college football. What did NCSt just pay Doeren? $1.8m? And I think he was by far a better candidate than Jones.

I listen to all you idot's opinions. I have no clue who would be the best hire. So, I am reduced to listening to the opinions of idots. Which one of you is the least idotic? Only time will tell.

Da pruff iss in da pudding

If we brought in an offensive minded coach (like Jones) what defensive coordinators are out there that we could possibly bring in to try to get our current mess straightened out? On the offensive coordinator front, we've heard names like Stitt, Mangino and McCall, but I haven't really heard about DCs who could come alongside an offensive guru head coach.

If we brought in an offensive minded coach (like Jones) what defensive coordinators are out there that we could possibly bring in to try to get our current mess straightened out? On the offensive coordinator front, we've heard names like Stitt, Mangino and McCall, but I haven't really heard about DCs who could come alongside an offensive guru head coach.

Bob Gregory (Boise State)
Scottie Hazelton (USC)
Tim Banks (Illinois-has worked with Jones before)

Interesting article in DP by Woody Paige this morning. Sounds like we are in the lead over Purdue on this, and if Woody is correct we have the chance to close the deal by Tuesday morning. Worth a read!

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_22112982/woody-paige-butch-jones-hiring-hinges-cu-closing

Good read. It actually sounds like Woody is very well connected with this story and knows what is going on. I am very encouraged by the fact that they are meeting with the top administration and Solich. It sounds like everybody is on the same page and all in with this. When everybody is committed, good things happen.

I wonder if Ringo is butthurt that Woody is getting the scoop.

It sure looks like Butch is going to leave Cincy! I know both Purdue & CU's teams are in shambles but if your the coach and had to choose between Lafayette, Ind & Boulder, Co for a place to work and live, who would you choose? -----------------That's what I thought.

Quites the sales piece by Woody.

I like Jones. He would be in for some big changes and big challenges at CU. But it sounds like he is ready for that kind of word.

Honestly we can't go wrong with either Jones or Mendenhall... Both are better candidates than I figured we were going to be dealing with. The promise of facilities upgrade and the coaching pay are a real plus for us.

SIAP, but it sounds like Jones is frustrated by Cincy's lack of upgrade commitments:

Jones is also known to have been frustrated at UC by the inability of the school to renovate Nippert Stadium. Furthermore, when Jones wanted to build a players’ lounge he had to raise the money himself through his 1200 Club for football boosters.

Jones does have great faith in UC athletic director Whit Bab****, who has been on the job for 13 months after replacing Mike Thomas. Whether that faith in Bab**** will be enough to get Jones to turn down what Colorado is offering remains to be seen.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012/12/03/colorado-offering-jones-13-5-million-over-5-years/

To me a Jones hire would be a triple. A Petersen type hire would be the only thing that would be home-run status in my book that fit. None the less I was expecting a double hire at best.

my only worry with Jones is his staffs ability to get a strong foot hold in Western recruiting grounds. That is the worry with any outside hire though.

Anybody else think that this may already be a done deal? I find it convenient that he will be in town overnight where it would be easy to line up a press conference on Tuesday to introduce him.

It seems to me like I'm reading between the lines that a facilities upgrade will be part of this package. If so, I'm totally on board with the hire (assuming we go this direction). Facilities are far more permanent than a coach.

As for his recruiting acumen - I'm not terribly concerned about that right now. He'll recruit the players he needs to win football games. I'll only get concerned when he starts recruiting players that can't win football games.

I think, whoever we end up hiring, we need to be aware of our current situation. The CU football program is at an all time low. We, as fans, can't expect to be challenging for Pac 12 titles anytime soon. Nor can we expect to be winning recruiting battles against Oregon, USC, UCLA and Stanford. That's just not going to happen in the short term. What we need to expect is improvement. While it would be hard to be much worse than we've been, it's not realistic to expect 7 or 8 wins next year and a top 20 recruiting class. At most, I think we can hope for 5-6 wins in 2013 and a top 40 recruiting class (in 2014). I'd be very satisfied with that.

Does anyone know what could be some of the facilities upgrades we could see in Boulder?

First round of the football project is an indoor practice facility, additional parking garage, improvements to football offices, and improvements to training / weight room facilities. There's also quite a bit of chatter that CEC is getting some upgrades that may or may not be in addition to the media production facility that was announced at the time of the Folsom scoreboards project.

First round of the football project is an indoor practice facility, additional parking garage, improvements to football offices, and improvements to training / weight room facilities. There's also quite a bit of chatter that CEC is getting some upgrades that may or may not be in addition to the media production facility that was announced at the time of the Folsom scoreboards project.

Are these gonna be located in the IPF? I don't see any way we fit these in Dal Ward

Sounds good to me! Paying the coaching staff top money and facilities upgrades will go a long way in proving we are getting serious about football.... About freaking time!!!

Back