What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones

I'm not expecting instant turnaround with the record or top 20 classes in recruiting right away, but there should be some expectations for $2.5 million per year, plus a rumored facilities announcement.

Butch reminds me a little of Greg Schiano from Rutgers. His style is much needed here. I think these kids need some tough love. He can light a fire under their asses.

I also believe he'll structure an offense to fit our personnel. This is great news for our offensive players like POW, G Thomas and PRich.

Good read. It actually sounds like Woody is very well connected with this story and knows what is going on. I am very encouraged by the fact that they are meeting with the top administration and Solich. It sounds like everybody is on the same page and all in with this. When everybody is committed, good things happen.

I wonder if Ringo is butthurt that Woody is getting the scoop.

Um Jones agent is the source. Not sure CU & crew wanted this trial ballon floated.

It seems to me like I'm reading between the lines that a facilities upgrade will be part of this package. If so, I'm totally on board with the hire (assuming we go this direction). Facilities are far more permanent than a coach.

As for his recruiting acumen - I'm not terribly concerned about that right now. He'll recruit the players he needs to win football games. I'll only get concerned when he starts recruiting players that can't win football games.

I think, whoever we end up hiring, we need to be aware of our current situation. The CU football program is at an all time low. We, as fans, can't expect to be challenging for Pac 12 titles anytime soon. Nor can we expect to be winning recruiting battles against Oregon, USC, UCLA and Stanford. That's just not going to happen in the short term. What we need to expect is improvement. While it would be hard to be much worse than we've been, it's not realistic to expect 7 or 8 wins next year and a top 20 recruiting class. At most, I think we can hope for 5-6 wins in 2013 and a top 40 recruiting class (in 2014). I'd be very satisfied with that.

I thought the facilities "announcement" was the best part of the article.

Did anyone see Cinci play this year? I'm curious what your take on the offense was/ He calls it a no-huddle, uptempo, pro-style offense, do you agree? I do like the idea of an uptempo thing in Boulder.

It's chump change for us now.

FYI, I read somewhere that the buyout only applies until Jan. 1, 2013. Not sure if the Admin would prefer to wait for him to start to save the $ but get him to hire his key staff now so they can proceed with recruiting.

Obviously as Buff fans we´d want him to start yesterday but $1.4m is a lot of if we are only talking about 3 weeks difference.

No thanks on Jones.

"Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly served as head coach at both Cincinnati and Central Michigan immediately before Jones was hired, and both programs were in strong positions at the time he took the reins. For instance, Cincinnati was 12-0 and Big East champion in 2009, the year before Jones took over as head coach. "

To me a Jones hire would be a triple. A Petersen type hire would be the only thing that would be home-run status in my book that fit. None the less I was expecting a double hire at best. my only worry with Jones is his staffs ability to get a strong foot hold in Western recruiting grounds. That is the worry with any outside hire though.
Seriously, **** Boise! 3 Straight HC have left smurfville and all 3 have failed. **** Boise.

No thanks on Jones.

"Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly served as head coach at both Cincinnati and Central Michigan immediately before Jones was hired, and both programs were in strong positions at the time he took the reins. For instance, Cincinnati was 12-0 and Big East champion in 2009, the year before Jones took over as head coach. "

So what you are saying is that no coach can be good because his predecessor was good?
Why can't this be an example of a coaching tree and not a coat-tail?

So what you are saying is that no coach can be good because his predecessor was good?

He isn't really part of the coaching tree. I don't think he and Kelly ever actually coached together

I'm not expecting instant turnaround with the record or top 20 classes in recruiting right away, but there should be some expectations for $2.5 million per year, plus a rumored facilities announcement.
It seems to me a competent coaching staff should be able to get 4 wins off the bat. If we play above our heads a game or 2, maybe 5-6 wins. That's kinda KoolAid talk, but as a stretch goal I think it's doable...maybe :huh:

No but it makes me extremely nervous. I really would like a guy with more west coast ties, the Big East is a joke, it is awful football. medicore success there to me doesn't prove much to me, especially when you are inheriting a 12-0 team. I hope I am wrong.

It sure looks like Butch is going to leave Cincy! I know both Purdue & CU's teams are in shambles but if your the coach and had to choose between Lafayette, Ind & Boulder, Co for a place to work and live, who would you choose? -----------------That's what I thought.
This.

Did anyone see Cinci play this year? I'm curious what your take on the offense was/ He calls it a no-huddle, uptempo, pro-style offense, do you agree? I do like the idea of an uptempo thing in Boulder.

Watched them slaughter Pittsburgh and beat Virginia Tech in hostile territory at FedEx field. Was moderately impressed both times, but like any Big East team, I'm sure they've had their moments of fail

Extremely Pumped to see Butch Jones coach the black and gold. Sefo or Dillon should be pumped offense is going to be nuts next year.

Remember Bohn...Coffee is for Closers. Make it happen.

What happened to all the talk of Charlie Strong? :lol:

I think we'll end up with someone like Mendehall or Calhoun. Hope I'm wrong.

No but it makes me extremely nervous. I really would like a guy with more west coast ties, the Big East is a joke, it is awful football. medicore success there to me doesn't prove much to me, especially when you are inheriting a 12-0 team. I hope I am wrong.

I'm actually somewhat encouraged that he has a MAC background. For whatever reason the MAC has produced a lot of coaches that have moved on and succeeded on the bigger stage. Much better than the MWC or the WAC from that perspective. Even Urban Meyer was a MAC guy before going to Utah (disclaimer...I am not trying to suggest Butch is the second coming of Meyer). I would have preferred that he have more experience as an assistant in a larger BCS power conference however. One of the reasons I liked McIntyre is that his assistant/coordinator experience mostly came in the SEC, even if it wasn't at one of the main power schools.

What happened to all the talk of Charlie Strong? :lol:

I think we'll end up with someone like Mendehall or Calhoun. Hope I'm wrong.

Made an overture to Strong and were rejected. Made sense to try to the hail mary, even if it skewed expectations of fans.

Pretty sure that Bohn stated publicly that Calhoun wasn't on the list. Sounds like he's an AFA lifer unless the right NFL job would be offered him.

It's been a big year for names: Butch, Charlie, Gus and Bronco. Gary never really had a chance...

It's been a big year for names: Butch, Charlie, Gus and Bronco. Gary never really had a chance...
Apparently. And he was may fave. Oh well, I'm sure Butch will be a good coach...he was an integral part of Brian Kelly's rebuilds and CMU and Cincy. Hope he's the right guy if we get him.

Back