What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Callahan to RG

This summed up DII- Ended up being a blessing that CU lost to KU.

Why didn't the Buffs use Rodney Stewart, who had a career-high 175 yards rushing, to run out the clock in the fourth quarter? - "We didn't want to just totally get into a ground attack," said Hawkins. "We had had success mixing it up ... We didn't want to be one dimensional."

Isn't the "player groupings" what earned him the "Juicebox" and "Orange Slice" nicknames. :lol:

I think that had more to due with his incessant comments about bringing your lunchpail to work, that faux blue collar attitude. The player groupings weren't bad, except for the fact that everyone and their dog knew what plays we were running every time certain groups came in. Most teams that use groupings have a variety of plays versus the 1 or 2 that we had at the time.

I think that had more to due with his incessant comments about bringing your lunchpail to work, that faux blue collar attitude. The player groupings weren't bad, except for the fact that everyone and their dog knew what plays we were running every time certain groups came in. Most teams that use groupings have a variety of plays versus the 1 or 2 that we had at the time.
The biggest problem with player groupings is that this is a strategy that is employed by low talent teams to overcome the talent deficit. If every player executes every play perfectly, you can somewhat overcome a lack of talent.

The fact that the coaches couldn't execute the strategy was a problem.

But, the fact that D2 Danny thought it was an appropriate strategy to employ at a historically good D1 football school was a bigger problem, and further evidence that he was in way, way over his head. He had no idea how a big boy program should be run; the fact that he thought he could/should get there with tricks and shortcuts just ensured that the minor hole in which GB left the program became a major hole.

But, back to Shane. At this point, we're just seeing practice reports, and seeing him being given time practicing at a particular spot. We have no idea what the conversations are in the position meetings and/or individual player meetings. It could be that the coaches are already confident of his ability at tackle, and want to give him a lot reps at guard so he can play there too. It could be that they think his ceiling is higher at guard. It's probably that they want to put the best 5 guys out there they can, and Callahan is a much better guard than Irwin. It could be that they think Nembot will be better with Callahan beside him. There's a million things it could be, and 99% aren't "bad."

They are a rival to our players because our team hasn't been able to compete with anyone else. If we recruit the players we need, they will cease to be a rival and will become more of an annoying little brat that hangs out all the time even though we telling him to piss off.

Sorry but for any Buff 35 or younger, CSU is a rival. This has became a rivalry game just as much as Nebraska hates admitting CU is a rival. They are now close games and while we maintain a large winning percentage it is a game that CU players from the mid to late 90s have to win or it is a huge letdown. That is a rivalry.

The biggest problem with player groupings is that this is a strategy that is employed by low talent teams to overcome the talent deficit. If every player executes every play perfectly, you can somewhat overcome a lack of talent.

The fact that the coaches couldn't execute the strategy was a problem.

But, the fact that D2 Danny thought it was an appropriate strategy to employ at a historically good D1 football school was a bigger problem, and further evidence that he was in way, way over his head. He had no idea how a big boy program should be run; the fact that he thought he could/should get there with tricks and shortcuts just ensured that the minor hole in which GB left the program became a major hole.

But, back to Shane. At this point, we're just seeing practice reports, and seeing him being given time practicing at a particular spot. We have no idea what the conversations are in the position meetings and/or individual player meetings. It could be that the coaches are already confident of his ability at tackle, and want to give him a lot reps at guard so he can play there too. It could be that they think his ceiling is higher at guard. It's probably that they want to put the best 5 guys out there they can, and Callahan is a much better guard than Irwin. It could be that they think Nembot will be better with Callahan beside him. There's a million things it could be, and 99% aren't "bad."

By the time we ushered Gary B out the door, the program was pretty devoid of top talent. Take a look at the NFL drafts for the time period starting near the end of Barnett. We played weak schedules and were getting absolutely shelled by teams (70-3 ring a bell).

I'm not saying Hawkins was smart, but let's not pretend that this "historically good D1 program" had top shelf talent on it. We didn't.

According to something I read in the Coloradoan, this is their top 6 going into camp:

OT Sambrailo - 5th year. Very experienced - 2nd team all-MWC last year.
G/C Zerblis - RS Soph. Saw action in 4 games in 2013 backing up Richberg
G/C Bennett - RS Frosh, no experience
G/C Myers - a 5th year SR, has seen some time, played in 6 games last year including the 1H vs. Boise State
OT Finley - JC transfer, came in past January
OT Hathaway - 5th year senior, played in 11 games last year and in 2011.

Good experience at tackle and a lot of question marks up the middle....

Sounds like Hathaway busted up his knee, not sure on the details there.

By the time we ushered Gary B out the door, the program was pretty devoid of top talent. Take a look at the NFL drafts for the time period starting near the end of Barnett. We played weak schedules and were getting absolutely shelled by teams (70-3 ring a bell).

I'm not saying Hawkins was smart, but let's not pretend that this "historically good D1 program" had top shelf talent on it. We didn't.
You're right in that we didn't have the talent. We agree there. I saw Hawkins trying to take shortcuts to get better; I really think he thought the only way to improve recruiting was to improve the win/loss record. He had no clue that there are better and more reliable ways to climb the hill. In the end, he proved that he could neither recruit nor coach.

Checking out the report from their scrimmage yesterday,

OT Hathaway was out due to a knee injury. Coaches said they will determine his status next week

LB Cory James had arthroscopic knee surgery this week and will not be able to resume practice until at least the end of next week.

S Jake Schlager (apparent special teams star according to the Coloradoan) left the scrimmage due to an ankle injury. Severity not yet known.

I'm going to put up a CSU pregame thread so we can keep the game discussion in one spot

You're right in that we didn't have the talent. We agree there. I saw Hawkins trying to take shortcuts to get better; I really think he thought the only way to improve recruiting was to improve the win/loss record. He had no clue that there are better and more reliable ways to climb the hill. In the end, he proved that he could neither recruit nor coach.

I disagree with you on the bold. He was often quoted as saying he was working on a process, that the wins would come as the result of going through the process. Things are going to pop.

Andre Gurode?

Perhaps the staff thinks Callahan can learn the plays/footwork/responsibilities of RG sooner than those of either tackle. If true, it would enable them to get him on the field earlier, rather than later.

This was the low point of my CU fandom. Met a buddy at the bar to watch the game. Left before half. It was a surreal beating.
There's quite a list lately of low points for people. Mine was CSU beating us at Folsom. I was there and to watch the lammies dancing on the 50 on the CU logo was too much.

There's quite a list lately of low points for people. Mine was CSU beating us at Folsom. I was there and to watch the lammies dancing on the 50 on the CU logo was too much.

I left my tickets at home for that game I went back and got them and missed the beginning. I wish I would have stayed home.

Sorry but for any Buff 35 or younger, CSU is a rival. This has became a rivalry game just as much as Nebraska hates admitting CU is a rival. They are now close games and while we maintain a large winning percentage it is a game that CU players from the mid to late 90s have to win or it is a huge letdown. That is a rivalry.

I'm under 35 and I'm sticking with the annoying little brat who sticks around analogy.

They are in close proximity, we play them annually, and we do have to win or it's a letdown. That doesn't make it a rivalry, it makes it suck. A contrived rivalry. If we quit playing it would alumni give a ****?

I'm under 35 and I'm sticking with the annoying little brat who sticks around analogy.

They are in close proximity, we play them annually, and we do have to win or it's a letdown. That doesn't make it a rivalry, it makes it suck. A contrived rivalry. If we quit playing it would alumni give a ****?

Agreed

HCMM singled out Kelley yesterday as playing well. I'll get some scoopage soon when the general body returns to campus.

With all the shuffling around on the OL during camp so far, I hope they settle on a starting five pretty soon. Get those guys some reps working with each other.

Back