What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

Obviously not that much if we're going to have a higher coaching pool than 11/12 teams in the Pac-12. For example Demetrice Martin only makes 165k. Brent Brennan is listed at 120k. Our average salary is nearly double that of Brennan's. Just multiply that by 7 AC's and think of what we could get.

So using your examples what do you think we'd have to pay them to come to CU? For Martin you'd be looking at something on the order of 200-210K to get him to move here. When your DB coach Makes 200K your staff average goes WAY over the 225K that we are talking.

Noel Mazzone: 375k
Adrian Klemm: 275k
Eric Yarber: 125k (WR coach at Washington, ASU, Oregon State, and SFers)
Steve Broussard: 175k (coached at Wazzou, ASU, and now UCLA)

Our average salary is what, 230k? Does not compute

So using your examples what do you think we'd have to pay them to come to CU for martin you'd be looking at something on the order of 200-210K to get him to move here. When your DB coach Makes 210K your staff average goes WAY over the 225K that we are talking.

That average is with 500k to coordinators. Lindgren isn't really worth 500k right now anyway. As I posted, Noel Mazzone at UCLA only makes 375k... and his resume speaks for itself

Don't forget the S&C coach. Also, where does the money to pay the new recruiting assistants come from? I assume the AD and not the coaches pool. Plus, doesn't the S&C guy also work wit the other sports?

Noel Mazzone: 375k
Adrian Klemm: 275k
Eric Yarber: 125k (WR coach at Washington, ASU, Oregon State, and SFers)
Steve Broussard: 175k (coached at Wazzou, ASU, and now UCLA)

Our average salary is what, 230k? Does not compute

To get those guys to leave UCLA and come here you'd have to pay:
Noel Mazzone: 475k
Adrian Klemm: 345k
Eric Yarber: 150k
Steve Broussard:210K

No one is coming to CU right now from a better job for less than a 20% mark up.

Keith Heyward: 150k (DB coach at UDub and at OSU)
Peter Sirmon: 225k (LB coach at UDub and at Tennessee)
Tosh Lupoi: 350k

As you can see, we have the money to get more than an SJSU staff

Ok that's fine and I understand that. But our average is 228k for the 7 AC's, and that's if we pay our coordinators 500k. So we could easily afford Yarber, Broussard, Heyward etc.

Not to mention, if we bring in a guy like Clarke, he should make around 125k maximum. So that saves $$ for other guys like Lubick

Keith Heyward: 150k (DB coach at UDub and at OSU)
Peter Sirmon: 225k (LB coach at UDub and at Tennessee)
Tosh Lupoi: 350k

As you can see, we have the money to get more than an SJSU staff

I am not arguing that we dont have the money to do more than move the whole staff over from SJSU, what I am arguing though is the talent you are quoting is going to cost a lot more than you think it will. Tosh is a great example he'd probably cost us close on 500K for a guy who isnt even a coordinator.

I tend to agree with SnC's overall point. I'm not advocating (and I don't think he is either, maybe?) that the entire staff needs to be poached from Pac-12 teams. But I do think that the money we're throwing at this, we should be able to go out and pay big dollars to one or two legit assistant coaches to help supplement the staff and jump-start recruiting.

Don't forget cost of living, though. $200K in LA is equivalent to $160H to $180K in the Denver metro area.

Last edited:
I am not arguing that we dont have the money to do more than move the whole staff over from SJSU, what I am arguing though is the talent you are quoting is going to cost a lot more than you think it will. Tosh is a great example he'd probably cost us close on 500K for a guy who isnt even a coordinator.

No I understand that. I was just posting guys to show what money can, and should buy most importantly.

What CU is doing is showing that they are willing to pay. In the event that these assistants don't work, the pump has been primed opening us up for more coaches willing to look in the future.

I tend to agree with SnC's overall point. I'm not advocating (and I don't think he is either, maybe?) that the entire staff needs to be poached from Pac-12 teams. But I do think that the money we're throwing at this, we should be able to go out and pay big dollars to one or two legit assistant coaches to help supplement the staff and jump-start recruiting.

Agreed there, although i think some of the names being thrown out dont fit properly from a either a comp or a job description stand point. A guy like Tosh who's an up and coming recruiter who'll take a position coach role that we'll have to over pay for fit this role. Matt lubbick who keeps getting his name tossed out there is a perfect example of "doesn't fit." We aren't going to pay for and hire an Assoc head coach who isnt even a coordinator.

Ok... we're really competing with the Pac-12. From what I understand we'll only be behind Washington in the Pac-12. So, it's not outrageous to have expectations for that.

And I just took a look at Ohio State's staff. Their staff is pretty amazing, and for only 400k more

I assume not including the private schools

I think one of the reasons that CU is at the top of the P12 pay scale for ACs is that (1) we suck and are forced to over pay and (2) we're on the leading edge of replacing a staff while the P12 money is just starting to flow in. I'd expect that the other schools will match our AC salary pool soon enough. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm guessing that the only way another P12 AC takes a lateral move to CU is if he has a prior relationship with HCMM. I don't see them taking lateral job titles with CU just for the extra $$ (I'm gonna guess the other school would match our offer)

Have the actually salaries been announced or are all of you just assuming that they will spend the entire $2.6MM allotted?

Also, for those thinking that we are overpaying for assistants, this was a drawing point to hire our new coach. In some ways, then, you have to view the assistants salary pool as part of the entire cost of hiring the new coach.

Have the actually salaries been announced or are all of you just assuming that they will spend the entire $2.6MM allotted?

Also, for those thinking that we are overpaying for assistants, this was a drawing point to hire our new coach. In some ways, then, you have to view the assistants salary pool as part of the entire cost of hiring the new coach.

MacIntyre's contract stated the assistant salary pool would be a minimum of 2.6mil

So CU is such a terrible job that we should be OK with quadrupling the salary of every single person coming to coach here while simultaneously managing to bring in a total of zero "big names"? We will be paying our head coach and our assistants nearly $5 million in sum if this goes through as it appears that it will.

Provided that he brings most or all of his staff and pays them the full pool, there is an argument to be made that what is happening here is that we are getting raked over the coals. We are giving a staff that, outside of its HC, is very low-visibility a very high level of compensation

Last edited:
just to make everyone happy -
Jimmy Durkin @Jimmy_Durkin
#SJSU OC Brian Lindgren on joining Mac with #CUBuffs: "The opportunity is there. We're still deciding what's best for my family.
I would rather pay him three times his current salary than not get him, fwiw.

So CU is such a terrible job that we should be OK with quadrupling the salary of every single person coming to coach here while simultaneously managing to bring in a total of zero "big names"? We will be paying our head coach and our assistants nearly $5 million in sum if this goes through as it appears that it will.

Provided that he brings most or all of his staff and pays them the full pool, there is an argument to be made that what is happening here is that we are getting raked over the coals. We are giving a staff that, outside of its HC, is very low-visibility a very high level of compensation

I heard a analyst say the only people benefiting from the arms race in college sports are the coaches and AD's. No tickets are cheaper and nothing has changed for fan or athlete except nicer seats and weights.

I think there was alot of truth to what he said.

The arms race helps out the football program and the school overall...if you can keep up

Guys, we all saw this coming when they announced the Pac 12 TV deal. With the stroke of a pen, they added $15MM or so per year to every school's top line. For an athletic department with an annual $50MM budget, that's a 30% increase. They have to spend that money somewhere. It's not going into a piggy bank. They can't pay the players, so all they can do is add staff and facilities. How long after the Pac 12 TV deal was announced did it take for UCLA, UA, ASU and WSU to go hire brand new high-paid coaches? You think CU would have kept Embree if we were still operating under the old Big 12 TV deal? Coaches salaries are going to get inflated because there aren't a lot of places to spend those dollars.

I'm in the camp of having wanted to see some "big" names on the staff with the money we have available.

But, I think it is is hilarious that now so many people are suddenly penny pinching and being cheap bastards worrying about how we may be giving the coaches big raises. So what? We have an uphill climb to build a better reputation as a place coaches want to come, and starting to pay top dollar is essential to that.

I'm a little surprised Slider's getting so much pushback here. With a 2.6m budget, I'd hope there's more creativity in building the staff than simply tripling the salaries of most of the SJSU staff. Identify those key guys who you want to retain (Lindgren should be at the top of that list), then be aggressive with the other spots. I'm guessing the assistant pool was in the 750k range at SJSU, which means, even if we do triple the salaries of, say, 5 key assistants, that should leave roughly 1m for the remaining 5. That would easily land at least a couple of the guys off of Slider's list.

Doubt we will see him bring his entire staff with him. I would think (hope?) one of the selling points for MacIntyre was he has developed a lot contacts over the year and I would think (hope?) the topic of assistant coaches was discussed some before he was hired.

I think a nice raise and the title of recruiting coordinator should net us at least one guy we will all like.

Back