What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

go get the guy nik wants as TE coach and bring in matt lubick

In his Q&A with ESPN today, Big Mac mentioned that he expects to have a clearer picture of his staff after 27 Dec which is the day SJSU plays its bowl game. Interestingly, it's also the day that Duke plays it's bowl game. File that under "Reading Way Too Much Into an Interview Comment," but one can dream.

Lubick as associate HC? That's the only reason he jumps on our offer imo unless he wants to get back to the West

Maybe. My guess is that he wants to be a HC someday... so he will make a choice that makes sense career wise
Can't deny that.

Colorado has a higher ceiling than Duke though so that could play to our advantage if we have success under MacIntyre he could get a chance to be promoted fairly quickly :shrug:

Maybe. My guess is that he wants to be a HC someday... so he will make a choice that makes sense career wise
if he comes here... i think he ends up at sheep ewe as oc within a couple years and replaces coach sparkle when he ditches fort fun

He also might leave Duke because of the reason a lot of people here had apprehension toward Mac. Duke is simply looked at as different. It's a BCS job, but almost not. Plus, I doubt he's able to recruit the kind of athletes he was recruiting to ASU and could recruit to CU.

Someone did make a good point about Lubick, though. Duke is coached by David Cutcliffe, who is a mentor to MacIntyre. I'm not sure he'll want to go poaching coaches from his staff.

Baer at UW:

"At the conclusion of the 2007 season, after a statistically worst defensive season in UW football history, Willingham decided to let Baer go. In the three years at UW, the defense ranked 94, 95 and 98 in total defense, 89, 85 and 94 in scoring defense, and 106, 102 and 85 in passing defense."

Not enthused about this guy. Hope he can recruit.

Baer at UW:

"At the conclusion of the 2007 season, after a statistically worst defensive season in UW football history, Willingham decided to let Baer go. In the three years at UW, the defense ranked 94, 95 and 98 in total defense, 89, 85 and 94 in scoring defense, and 106, 102 and 85 in passing defense."

I am not thrilled but I think Willingham being the head coach hurt him more than anything.

Baer at UW:

My thought with Baer is that Mac is basically going to be the DC, so you aren't relying on Baer to have that entire side of the ball figured out. I don't love the hire, but whatever.

I don't put too much stock in what Baer did 15 years ago as a DC. He's been a DC a long time, for a lot of good programs, so he's no Greg Brown. His best years were under HCMM, which is probably not an accident.

I'm most interested in who fills some of the position slots now. Lubick would be great, but unless he tells Duke he wants out, HCMM isn't poaching him. There's likely some other coaches that HCMM has crossed paths with that weren't going to join him at SJSU (or couldn't afford to) but may want in now.

Baer at UW:

Why don't you look and see how Notre Dame's defense did while Baer was there?
How about Stanford and Cal? Arizona State?

For the way people bitched about getting someone with BCS experience, it is comical to see the reaction to a guy with serious BCS (not to mention serious experience in the Pac 12) experience coming to CU.

Baer has been defensive coordinator at Cal, Arizona State, Stanford, Notre Dame, and Washington.

Baer at UW:

Willingham was Water Bottle's model: Whatever Ty touched turned to crap! Note Ty also fired Baer as DC; where have we heard that approach lately?

Like any other college coach, Baer appears to do well when he has talent, such as at Notre Dame. UW's talent/experience was even worse than this year's CU bunch when he was there, but he kept them from the bottom, though not by much.

Baer and HCMM appear to work well together, that's what counts.

Can't overlook the fact that HCMM has a healthy defensive coaching background himself and no doubt would have some influence in the overall scheme Baer coordinates. I think the biggest issues with defense we will face is working out the growing pains of a new staff and working out any issues with transfers and lack of depth or talent. I don't think having Baer is going to be a problem at all.

Baer at UW:

He had one of the best defenses in the country at Notre Dame. Just sayin'.

I think Baer will do good in time and players to work with on the roster. Couple of bad seasons under a bad head coach. He has been on some good schools staffs and done pretty well - Stanford, ND, Cal and has been a DC at these schools. More on his resume than our past DC

Any word on Baer's recruiting ability? I'm not worried about our defense with him and HCMM working on it together.

There is a serious, serious problem if we import the entire SJSU staff and pay them anywhere close to $2.6million. That indicates that our coach is here to get himself and his buddies a pay raise and borders on unprofessional and unethical. That's many, many millions of dollars over the life of their contracts for one great season in a minor conference.

Back