What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado vs. Oregon State - Nov 4 - 8PM, ESPN

Sometimes there are no quick fixes. Coach Prime has come into Colorado and sold the idea of a quick turnaround, and he has done that to an extent. But you don't always rebuild everything in a single pass. Elite and dominant teams are built in the trenches and CU is lacking there. I am not sure you can always blame the position coaches for a lack of talent. Prime is good at many things but practicing patience is not one of them. All the moving around of coaching staff looks like a shotgun approach to fixing problems.

Another weird flex from Surveyor that only his dumb ass is laughing at.
I guess when the last win against CU came in during the recovery from the Great Recession, weird flex is all you might have when **** talking to the fanbase.

I just realized pretty much my entire married life, CU has not lost to the Huskers in football. Except for the game mere weeks after my wedding date - 10/9/10.

I am as frustrated and disappointed as anyone but a few things to keep in mind.

1. This team was 1-11 last year and easily the worst P5 team in the nation, close to the worst BCS team. This year we have won 4 and at least been in the game in most of the others. This is a huge turn around.

2. At Jackson State his first season record was 4-3 (shortened by Covid) with a team that was nowhere near as bad comparatively before he got there than this one was.

3. Despite our struggles we still are at least getting recruiting interest from players who will be substantial upgrades to what we have. The momentum for improvement has not stopped.

4. Mistakes are being and will be made. This is a guy who is in his first year coaching at the BCS level and his 4th year overall of college coaching. He had no college time as an assistant to prepare like most coaches do.

The biggest fault so far in his time here has been his failure in lifting our talent levels on the interior lines, both offense and defense. Yes coaching could be better but when guys are run over or run past on virtually every play coaching isn't much help. People talk about a short passing game but that doesn't work without linemen who get out and make a block. Our guys can't make a block when the opponent comes to them much less go find and make a block.

Next steps are critical. Get through the rest of this season then in the off-season we need to see some significant line talent come in, both transfers and HS. Obviously we would love to get 5* types but even competent P5 quality players would be a major step up.

And like everything else Prime is learning how to manage a staff. We do need to see some changes made in the staff as well.

I think we are likely too to see some unexpected departures both players and coaches. Prime is who he is and a part of that is his intensity and insistence on doing things his way to his expectations. It's common for people to think they were ready for that then to realize that they aren't and move on.

The recent answers on JuJu, Brewster, Shumer, CF, Lewis are concerning to me.
in the presser, CP basically dismissed the entire idea of a TE. Brewster needs to go get a real job. His skills are wasted at CU.

EDIT: Also, his answer to the Caleb Fauria question was odd. He got pretty snippy with the reporter, when all he had to say was " Caleb Fauria isn't with our team any longer but we enjoyed coaching him, we thank him for his contributions, and we wish him the very best going forward." This stuff should just roll off the tongue effortlessly but lately with CP it doesn't. It appears to elevate very minor issues.

Last edited:
When you only have 5 guys blocking against 6 guys coming of course your OL is going to look terrible. In this scheme the QB holds the ball to long, hence all the sacks and pressure he is seeing. The offensive scheme needs to be changed and a TE or RB needs to be in there to chip and/or block where needed. If you are going to run 5 WRs out on routes then the QB must get rid of the ball very quickly like he started doing at the end of the game during garbage time when OSU was playing a soft zone and leaving everything underneath open.
The problem we have is that defenses only need to rush 3 or 4 against our 5 OL and 2 will almost immediately get to our QB. It’s that bad.

Most of the time, Sheuder only has time to look for a 2-3 yard hook pattern, or one behind the LOS, and hope for yards after catch. (Occasionally we can hit a short cross.) But because the defense knows we will have no time to throw, they are running downhill at those quick dump down passes, so we are getting tackled immediately.

If we brought in more blockers, we’d still be facing mismatched numbers in the secondary, because we simply cannot block one on one. With our TEs, we can’t even block 6 against 4 successfully.

So.. we go to 7 blockers…against 4-5 rushers…. We have 3 receivers against 6 defenders… that’s 2 on 1 for each.

This is why an OL must be able to handle 1x1. When they can’t, the numbers simple don’t work without a talented, running QB. Even then.

This might be one of Prime’s best moves. He plays the guys who meet his very high standards even it it means sacrificing a win. It is a strategy that will pay dividends in the long term.
I thought about this and I think you're right. It's just frustrating when you're losing. I also wonder sometimes if his standards are attainable for a lot of players. It seems like there are certain players that have a very short leash.

The problem we have is that defenses only need to rush 3 or 4 against our 5 OL and 2 will almost immediately get to our QB. It’s that bad.

Most of the time, Sheuder only has time to look for a 2-3 yard hook pattern, or one behind the LOS, and hope for yards after catch. (Occasionally we can hit a short cross.) But because the defense knows we will have no time to throw, they are running downhill at those quick dump down passes, so we are getting tackled immediately.

If we brought in more blockers, we’d still be facing mismatched numbers in the secondary, because we simply cannot block one on one. With our TEs, we can’t even block 6 against 4 successfully.

So.. we go to 7 blockers…against 4-5 rushers…. We have 3 receivers against 6 defenders… that’s 2 on 1 for each.

This is why an OL must be able to handle 1x1. When they can’t, the numbers simple don’t work without a talented, running QB. Even then.
Don't bother. This clown is a 100% trolling

I think his point was that if our TEs can’t block, they don’t add to the offense, and he would simply prefer to have WRs instead, because we have some good ones.
Harrison has added to the offense quite a bit this season in terms of catches and TDs. CP should recognize the value in the position.

1. This team was 1-11 last year and easily the worst P5 team in the nation, close to the worst BCS team. This year we have won 4 and at least been in the game in most of the others. This is a huge turn around.

2. At Jackson State his first season record was 4-3 (shortened by Covid) with a team that was nowhere near as bad comparatively before he got there than this one was.

3. Despite our struggles we still are at least getting recruiting interest from players who will be substantial upgrades to what we have. The momentum for improvement has not stopped.

4. Mistakes are being and will be made. This is a guy who is in his first year coaching at the BCS level and his 4th year overall of college coaching. He had no college time as an assistant to prepare like most coaches do.

The biggest fault so far in his time here has been his failure in lifting our talent levels on the interior lines, both offense and defense. Yes coaching could be better but when guys are run over or run past on virtually every play coaching isn't much help. People talk about a short passing game but that doesn't work without linemen who get out and make a block. Our guys can't make a block when the opponent comes to them much less go find and make a block.

Next steps are critical. Get through the rest of this season then in the off-season we need to see some significant line talent come in, both transfers and HS. Obviously we would love to get 5* types but even competent P5 quality players would be a major step up.

And like everything else Prime is learning how to manage a staff. We do need to see some changes made in the staff as well.

I think we are likely too to see some unexpected departures both players and coaches. Prime is who he is and a part of that is his intensity and insistence on doing things his way to his expectations. It's common for people to think they were ready for that then to realize that they aren't and move on.
This is all well put.

People seem to assume coaches are finished products when they are hired. In many cases, like ours, the coach is hired for his potential and talent, just like players are recruited. HCP has a huge upside as a head coach, and it’s perfectly reasonable (and should be expected) for him to need some time to grow and develop at this level.

No one can take the worst team in CF to “dominance” in a year. Just no way.

If it weren’t for decades pf PTSD, and the surprising hope HCP brought, I think there’d be more patience. There’s just been so much pain here for so long.

I thought about this and I think you're right. It's just frustrating when you're losing. I also wonder sometimes if his standards are attainable for a lot of players. It seems like there are certain players that have a very short leash.
It is my experience that players have “hay I’m the barn” when it comes to mistakes on the field.

When a player who works his tail off, is on time to every meeting, demonstrates commitment and is reasonably effective makes a mistake, the coaches natural inclination is to stick with the kid until he finds a kid who is just as committed and is better.

On the other hand, a kid who isn’t committed but is a good player and makes a mistake is quick to get the hook.

My guess is that this is what is going on with McLane and others.

Sun Tsu says that mercenary armies are never going to be as committed as volunteers. Given the way our team was built, lack of commitment can NOT be tolerated.

Prime is handling this part perfectly.

Harrison has added to the offense quite a bit this season in terms of catches and TDs. CP should recognize the value in the position.
I agree with that, but the comparison HCP was making is that in the balance of assessing who is on the field, he thinks another WR is more of an offensive threat. If our TEs aren’t helpful blockers, than … why?

This is all well put.

People seem to assume coaches are finished products when they are hired. In many cases, like ours, the coach is hired for his potential and talent, just like players are recruited. HCP has a huge upside as a head coach, and it’s perfectly reasonable (and should be expected) for him to need some time to grow and develop at this level.

No one can take the worst team in CF to “dominance” in a year. Just no way.

If it weren’t for decades pf PTSD, and the surprising hope HCP brought, I think there’d be more patience. There’s just been so much pain here for so long.
A P5 HC shouldn't be learning game management that should be mastered in high school

I think his point was that if our TEs can’t block, they don’t add to the offense, and he would simply prefer to have WRs instead, because we have some good ones.
If they can't block, they're either not being coached correctly or they should have been told to leave last winter. Makes me wonder about Brewster.

Do you believe ???? The problem is everyone from the Media all the way to Deion himself hyped this team up early on which led to the lofty expectations. Now they have to live with the consequences of those actions.

Do you believe ???? The problem is everyone from the Media all the way to Deion himself hyped this team up early on which led to the lofty expectations. Now they have to live with the consequences of those actions.
Deion still believes, the players who will be part of moving us ahead still believe.

Sure there are consequences for being open with your expectations, for setting a high standard, but these guys aren't going to give up.

They will retrench in the off-season and make steps forward.

We will have rough times next year as well, fewer and less severe than this year but we will have them. It's a part of building something.

Sometimes it is interesting to view things outside of a black and gold lens. I have spent the weekend in Atlanta and went to the UGA game where I had the pleasure of meeting Champ Bailey yesterday. He noticed my CU hat and commented that I was one of those buffaloes. I took his comment as a good thing. Met some Mizzou guys at a brewery that upon seeing my hat clearly were not sold on Prime (they honestly seemed a little too good old boys for me) but a KU guy that was. The kicker was today. At Scofflaw brewing the bartender told me he liked how we almost pulled it out last night and has been impressed by the huge turn around he has seen. He was positive that Prime has us in the conversation in the next couple of years.

Not because they agree with me or see my CU hat but I have found that fans in Georgia have often been more informed/ reasonable than most I encounter. That said, people in Austin love Prime and think he is going to do big/ great things for CU.

Back