What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

The Big-12 can say they want to expand all they want but they are going to lose money doing it so it is just an offseason topic to get fans riled up and interested in talk radio.

The guest tried to play up Sparkles being the csewe coach who moved on to UF. No mention whatsoever about his asst stints in the $ec.

It's funny how some of these personalities try to mask info to lead the listeners in a certain direction.

I think that this Big 12 talk is a setup by OU & UT to come to an inevitable impasse which gives them both legal justification for saying the conference did not fulfill its duty & the grant of rights is invalidated... freeing them to leave without penalty.

Interesting take, would save them millions of dollars.

Also the politicians may be very reluctant to let OU leave the Big XII and join another conference without bringing Okie Lite with them. If the B12 crumbles then OU could "accept an invitation" without OSU by claiming to have no power over who gets invited. This could also free up Kansas in the same way.

I still see no willingness on Texas' part to fold the Longhorn Network into a Big 12 network, even if the league gives the Longhorns an extra $15 million share to cover its LHN income, because, the Texas source said, "we would get the same money, but lose our branding and having our own channel? Not very compelling. If we get rid of LHN, it will be to change conferences, in my opinion."

BYU and Boise? But but but RamFan told me that there's no way they don't get in. Ft Collins is just too pretty!

Am I the only one that wonders why the B12 doesn't go ahead and expand until they have, you know, 12 teams?

There are about 6 teams that could fit, Boise, BYU, Memphis, UH (Houston High, not the Rainbows), SMU, Cincy. Even UTerus should feel good about the prospects of beating those teams regularly (except UH). Get on with it mathematically challenged schools.

It's curious to me why Boise over Houston?

UT believes that they have a right to own Texas markets. They don't want to have to compete against a coference team for Houston money. (and recruits)

Boise has a higher national profile and poses no threat to UT for fan attention and dollars in Texas.

UT believes that they have a right to own Texas markets. They don't want to have to compete against a coference team for Houston money. (and recruits)

Boise has a higher national profile and poses no threat to UT for fan attention and dollars in Texas.
That can't be all it is... 4 of the 10 teams in the Big 12 are in Texas and they were fine with bringing in TCU (DFW market) to replace replace aTm.

Am I the only one that wonders why the B12 doesn't go ahead and expand until they have, you know, 12 teams?

There are about 6 teams that could fit, Boise, BYU, Memphis, UH (Houston High, not the Rainbows), SMU, Cincy. Even UTerus should feel good about the prospects of beating those teams regularly (except UH). Get on with it mathematically challenged schools.

The Big12 is sooooooo 90s. The future is The Big24!

Let's say the Big 12 adds Air Force, Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Houston, Memphis, Navy, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Rice, Tulane, UCF and USF. Any number of other programs could fit. SMU, Tulsa, Marshall, WKU, Colorado State, Utah State, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, San Diego State, etc. I chose these.

That gives you outposts in the North, the West, the Midwest, the East and Florida. It gives you service academies and smart-kid schools. It establishes a truly national conference worthy of a national media presence.

(Impossible scheduling? Too many mouths to feed with TV money? Read on.)

But that's not all.
The Big 12 should create the first two-tiered power conference.

I love the idea of college football promotion and relegation, and it could be applied to one conference. Let's illustrate how it would work.

(Would the NCAA allow this? Few can ever predict what the NCAA will do, so let's just have some fun anyway. Even if the relegation part didn't work out, a gigantic Big 12 could still set up as well for the post-cable era of college football as anybody besides the Big Ten or SEC.)

Houston and Navy earn initial promotion into the Big 12's 12-team top tier, based on their 2015 seasons. The other 12 go to the Little 12 (we could call it Big 12 Tier II or whatever sounds better than "Little 12," of course). This immediately adds two Sagarin top-40 teams to the conference lineup.

Then, you promote and relegate one or two pairs each year. Say, the last-place Big 12 team goes down and is replaced by the Little 12 champion. Or the bottom two teams go down, and the top two (division champions, perhaps) go up.

As for scheduling, you could have North and South divisions for the top level.
  • North: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Navy, Oklahoma State, West Virginia
  • South: Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech
That's brutally unbalanced toward the South at the moment, and Oklahoma could end up in the North instead, but that creates an awkward situation, since both of OU's primary rivals would reside in the other division.

Set up a similar second tier and then wait a few years as the Big 12 North catches up a bit.
  • North: Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Connecticut, NIU, North Dakota State
  • South: Air Force, Memphis, Rice, Tulane, UCF, USF

Texas does not want to raise Houston's academic profile more than anything.

OU is hurting because they're struggling to recruit the Houston area with no Big 12 presence there. It's becoming SEC country + in-state programs.

There is some long term bad blood between UT and UH. That, and what value would UH add to the conference, tv-wise? None. UT already dominates UH in the Houston market.

The main value that UH adds is to dilute the influence (monopoly) that UT holds on Texas television.

If Texas is against UH joining, then that sounds like something that every person who is partial to UH, Rice, A&M and any other alumni base who is sick of UT's **** would endorse.

The Texas insecurity has always confused me. Out of all the programs that shouldn't be afraid to compete, it should not be them.

There is some long term bad blood between UT and UH. That, and what value would UH add to the conference, tv-wise? None. UT already dominates UH in the Houston market.
You guys know more about the Texas football politics than me, so I'll defer, but I just figured a team like Houston that would clearly be able to compete at a high level in a P5 conference, plus the Houston market (which you say is already dominated by UT) would be attractive.

You guys know more about the Texas football politics than me, so I'll defer, but I just figured a team like Houston that would clearly be able to compete at a high level in a P5 conference, plus the Houston market (which you say is already dominated by UT) would be attractive.

That is exactly what the problem is, though. Houston has the potential to be really good. 3rd largest state university behind UT and aTm, a ton of success in a lot of sports from Heisman Trophy to Final Fours to national prominence in other sports (Fred Couples & Nick Faldo in golf, Carl Lewis in T&F, etc.)... but less success since kicked to the curb when the SWC folded and not a school that produces Texas politicians like the others. Basically, a potential giant that UT, aTm, BU, TTU and TCU all want to see stay down because its rise would hurt them. And UH doesn't have the political clout to overcome this.

Which is a long way of getting to my next point:

How great would it be for the Pac-12 to steal KU and OU then form a 4-team SW pod out of them plus UH and SMU? Then we'd have the Mountain pod of CU-UA-ASU-UU, the CA pod of USC-UCLA-Cal-Furd, and the NW pod of UO-OSU-UW-WSU.

3 games each year against the teams from your own pod + 2 a year from each of the other 3 pods, then a semi-final round of 4 teams (pod champs) ahead of the Pac-16 title game.

If we ever went to 16, that's probably our best scenario to generate revenue without having to deal with a political nightmare from the state of Texas flexing its muscles.

I dont think any Texas school is a good fit for the P12. But I could see the SEC adding two more schools to insure they can steal form UTs supposed recruiting advantage.

This would be awesome but wouldn't it require another conference to take 3 other big 12 schools for the conference to fall apart?

Thats as exciting as nap time. Those schools dont align with our mimosa drinking pacific junta leadership. they drink bud light.

Back