What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

Texas relative value drops substantially if they're not in a viable conference, IMO.

Report out of Cincinnati: Texas is strong arming TCU and Texas Tech to withhold their vote possibly leaving the B12 short of the required 75% hurdle to pass an expansion.

Sticking point, obviously, is the LHN.

Never change, Texas.

I'd heard that in the initial reports. TTU has been with UT for about 60 years. They've hitched their wagon to the Longhorns. TCU apparently owes UT for their support when they were made a member of the Big 12.

Texas relative value drops substantially if they're not in a viable conference, IMO.

Their value drops nowhere close to the value drop that the B12 experiences without them.

UT dominates TV interest in the state of Texas. I would guess that in every major city in Texas UT is the biggest TV draw in college football including against the schools located in those cities, the only potential exception might be in a few pockets of Aggie fans. TCU, Tech, Baylor, etc. don't outdraw UT even in their home cities.

Iowa State, the Kansas schools, Okie Light, have no real market power in terms of ratings. Without UT the only team in the B12 that has any real TV appeal is OU. Everyone loses money without them, big money.

For Sacky: This in no way means that I want the PAC12 to get even close to bring UT into the conference. They aren't worth the headaches and the PAC does have TV appeal without them.

Assuming the goal is to become the PAC14 (huge assumption), what is the best way to get the PAC to 14 teams? The Kansas City market is probably as far east as the conference can stretch, but Kansas only brings $$ for basketball. None of the MWC schools add value.

Difficult to see a scenario where the PAC goes to 14. Everyone hates a 14 team conference for scheduling. Specifically, there is no way of breaking up the original PAC 8 for a 7 team division. PAC 16 works with pods. And if not pods - then CU is getting kicked to the East division and we're right back in the Big 12.

As for the current situation with the Big 12. Even getting past whether to expand, they first must get Texas to roll LHN into the Big 12 Network. That is one absurdly profitable conference network if they're going to guarantee Texas is whole (average of 15M a year) and pay the rest the conference above what they're netting from their respective Tier 3 deals. While not nearly as profitable as the media keeps reporting, its still a relatively significant number for say.. Oklahoma.

So expand with G5 schools.
Roll LHN into a Big 12 Network.
Extend the GOR.

Will all those happen? Who knows. I'm inclined to think no. They either stay at 10 and ride to the end of the current deals where we very well could see a collectively bargained NFL type deal for the Power 4 or 5 .. or stick a band aid on the conference and still wait it out.

Some OU fans are speculating Boren always knew this was an impossible act and they are colluding with Texas to break the GOR for cause under not performing what's in the best interest of the Big 12. (not expanding)

As always, Texas has the most stroke here. Vote how we want or we're gone after the GOR. Of course OU could say the same thing. So many different ways to speculate what's really going on. Personally would rather see them stay at 10 vs. inviting more schools to the party.

Assuming the goal is to become the PAC14 (huge assumption), what is the best way to get the PAC to 14 teams? The Kansas City market is probably as far east as the conference can stretch, but Kansas only brings $$ for basketball. None of the MWC schools add value.
**** you

Difficult to see a scenario where the PAC goes to 14. Everyone hates a 14 team conference for scheduling. Specifically, there is no way of breaking up the original PAC 8 for a 7 team division. PAC 16 works with pods. And if not pods - then CU is getting kicked to the East division and we're right back in the Big 12.

Ugh. That made me dry heave..

In terms of reading tea leaves, one tell to look for is if OU puts ditching the Red River rivalry game into the conversation. They could even deny a previously non-existent rumor. The point is get the idea out there, normalize it - and then let fans start to rationalize it.

Dirt Burglar Fan: "Well, I don't like the idea at all, but if UT starts doing X and/or Y, we'll have no choice."

Then sit back and wait for UT to do X and Y.

They won't be able to help themselves.

The B1G's greed is potentially going to destroy college football as we know it. The B1G managing to get both UT and OU, would pretty much permanently screw the P12 and stick us on a middle tier below the SEC and B1G in terms of financial parity outside of some sort of B1G / P12 merger.

I think greed, in general, is going to change college football as we know it. I wouldn't go as far as saying "destroy." I'm kind of wondering if the big bucks lead expansion era of college sports, hell, sports in general, is over? I'm not sure if that is reality or just my reality since I'm getting less and less invested in sports as I get older. But I think a lot of entities from owners/administrators to media to players want more and more of a decreasing pot of gold. At some point, something will have to give.

If Texas ****s the bed this is the Pac's chance to pull in OU, KU, Houston and whomever to round out to 16. This is all about the haves and the have nots and $$$, expansion isn't what we as fans want. The Pac has to be ready and swoop in.

The B1G's greed is potentially going to destroy college football as we know it. The B1G managing to get both UT and OU, would pretty much permanently screw the P12 and stick us on a middle tier below the SEC and B1G in terms of financial parity outside of some sort of B1G / P12 merger.
I would argue that UT (and anyone else) to the Bug 10 is maybe our best case scenario. It means that they wouldn't be in the Pac12, which means we wouldn't be in a Big12 alumni pod.

Is that anything like 'Texas Relative Humidity*'?
*The sweat on the back of your balls when you get done ****ing your cousin.

If Texas ****s the bed this is the Pac's chance to pull in OU, KU, Houston and whomever to round out to 16. This is all about the haves and the have nots and $$$, expansion isn't what we as fans want. The Pac has to be ready and swoop in.

****. That.

Huh.

Wonder if that was with or without Okie Lite.

I'm very curious what state legislatures, governors, etc would really do if push came to shove for schools like OU and KU.

That said, **** Pac-12 expansion.

Huh.

Wonder if that was with or without Okie Lite.

I'm very curious what state legislatures, governors, etc would really do if push came to shove for schools like OU and KU.

That said, **** Pac-12 expansion.
The article doesn't talk about what specifically was "30 minutes" away from happening, other than OU, but it mentions the possibility that Texas, OSU, atm, and TTU were the other 4 possibilities that were close to happening to make the Pac 12 the Pac 16.

Talk radio is rehashing this story again this morning, and adding more poop to the bonfire.

- originally they opined that the conference would disband before it would expand.

- They are now trying to sell listeners that csewe would be a good addition. John Hoover (whoever) stated that if it stands to reason that if UConn would bring the NY market then csewe would bring the Denver market. He went on to compare csewe's current conference membership to what UA/ASU had prior to joining the PAC.

- one announcer stated that csewe would be a better add than BYU (???).

Personally, I think the conference is getting desperate. And the media is not far behind.

Talk radio is rehashing this story again this morning, and adding more poop to the bonfire.

- originally they opined that the conference would disband before it would expand.

- They are now trying to sell listeners that csewe would be a good addition. John Hoover (whoever) stated that if it stands to reason that if UConn would bring the NY market then csewe would bring the Denver market. He went on to compare csewe's current conference membership to what UA/ASU had prior to joining the PAC.

- one announcer stated that csewe would be a better add than BYU (???).

Personally, I think the conference is getting desperate. And the media is not far behind.

The NYC vs. Denver market actually makes sense especially for football. The difference is UConn brings the Hartford market and has a huge bball presence in NYC where college basketball rules over college football.

The Big-12 can say they want to expand all they want but they are going to lose money doing it so it is just an offseason topic to get fans riled up and interested in talk radio.

I think that this Big 12 talk is a setup by OU & UT to come to an inevitable impasse which gives them both legal justification for saying the conference did not fulfill its duty & the grant of rights is invalidated... freeing them to leave without penalty.

Back