What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU at Mile High is now the 2nd game for the Rams

Good or bad for CU that the Rams are playing an opener vs OSU ahead of the RMS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CB depth is scary. 30 yo won the kicking competition. No changes I caught on offense. OLB and the linebackers in general are interesting. How they get Moeller and Worthington on the field at the same time (does Moeller go buff backer or does Worthington?).

Typically they'd get on the field at the same time when they go to Nickel with Moeller at SS and Worthington at NB. If Fisher doesn't play, then I'd assume Worthington would take the SS spot while Moeller goes to BB in that package as well.

CB is basically Oliver and everyone else at this point. Hope some of those guys are as good as they have been advertised.

Overall I like the mix of guys at LB. Think we have some good speed and some good size, not a lot of experience though.

Moeller at Buff Backer and Worthington at Nickle apparently. Would be a very odd looking 3-3-5 formation.
I'm under the impression their BB package and Nickel package are different. Both are basically played out of a 4-2-5

I suppose he can enjoy it for now, he will not be able to say stuff like that every week.

Typically they'd get on the field at the same time when they go to Nickel with Moeller at SS and Worthington at NB. If Fisher doesn't play, then I'd assume Worthington would take the SS spot while Moeller goes to BB in that package as well.
I think this is going to be an extremely interesting dynamic this year. My interpretation of the roll that Worthington and Moeller will have will be HUGE on this years defense. It appears to me that they can play Nickel, without really changing personnel (Put Moeller at Safety)...but in base, they can have both guys on the field and will basically be able to roll Moeller OR Worthington down to Buff Backer, possibly creating a huge nightmare for the offense with their pre-snap reads. This is one dynamic that I am really really excited to see play out.

I think this is going to be an extremely interesting dynamic this year. My interpretation of the roll that Worthington and Moeller will have will be HUGE on this years defense. It appears to me that they can play Nickel, without really changing personnel (Put Moeller at Safety)...but in base, they can have both guys on the field and will basically be able to roll Moeller OR Worthington down to Buff Backer, possibly creating a huge nightmare for the offense with their pre-snap reads. This is one dynamic that I am really really excited to see play out.
I'm hoping you are right about Worthington and Moeller.

One thing though: The depth charts lists 12 positions, so either a LB or the Buff Back is not on the field in "base", IMO.

One thing though: The depth charts lists 12 positions, so either a LB or the Buff Back is not on the field in "base", IMO.
Agree....but they tend to run the "Base" Buff Backer package more against pass heavy teams....which we saw a lot last year because of the conference we play in. Being that it was a nifty package that was formed out of necessity last year following McCartney's injury, I am excited to see them continuing with it and potentially taking it to the next level if my read on this is right. time will tell...

The Buff Backer position using guys like Moeller and Worthington looks to be the direction of the future for defenses.

As long as teams are playing spread type offenses with multiple receivers going into the pattern teams have to have more guys on the field that can cover than a traditional defensive set. Often you have 4 sometimes 5 relatively quick downfield receivers in the pattern.

You can go to the traditional nickel or dime but as soon as you do they start running the ball at your little guys and if they don't tackle you give up huge gains. This is how Mike Leach has been able to run up big scores against defenses that are much more talented than his offensive players.

Moeller, and it looks like Worthington, have bulked up enough and are physical enough to be effective against the spread runs. They aren't CBs but still have enough quickness not to be lost against slot guys and quick RBs in coverage.

It still leaves us at a disadvantage against more traditional line up and smash offenses like Stanford runs but then you go back to the more traditional line-up and a guy like Moeller is your Strong safety against the TE.

The Buff Backer position using guys like Moeller and Worthington looks to be the direction of the future for defenses.

As long as teams are playing spread type offenses with multiple receivers going into the pattern teams have to have more guys on the field that can cover than a traditional defensive set. Often you have 4 sometimes 5 relatively quick downfield receivers in the pattern.

You can go to the traditional nickel or dime but as soon as you do they start running the ball at your little guys and if they don't tackle you give up huge gains. This is how Mike Leach has been able to run up big scores against defenses that are much more talented than his offensive players.

Moeller, and it looks like Worthington, have bulked up enough and are physical enough to be effective against the spread runs. They aren't CBs but still have enough quickness not to be lost against slot guys and quick RBs in coverage.

It still leaves us at a disadvantage against more traditional line up and smash offenses like Stanford runs but then you go back to the more traditional line-up and a guy like Moeller is your Strong safety against the TE.

Guess what. Oregon will be using a Buff backer this season as well. Shocker, I know. In a fit of creativity, Leavitt is calling it the "Duck" position.

You're probably right that many teams will move towards this in the future (like whoregon as mentioned by NYC)....but to be clear, it really isn't all that new. FSU was big on this in the 90's...recruiting large safeties and converting them to backers/flex players, the Nubs followed suit shortly thereafter in their heyday. The interesting thing to me though, is that those were 4-3 Base systems that was effectively a takeoff on the Tampa 2. Our situation is a bit different than what I have seen, or remember seeing, in that we run a 3-4 Base....and I must say, it is quite awesome in my opinion

Last edited:
You're probably right that many teams will move towards this in the future (like whoregon as mentioned by NYC below)....but to be clear, it really isn't all that new. FSU was big on this in the 90's...recruiting large safeties and converting them to bakers/flex players, the Nubs followed suite shortly thereafter in their heyday. The interesting thing to me though, is that those were 4-3 Base systems that was effectively a takeoff on the Tampa 2. Our situation is a bit different than what I have seen, or remember seeing, in that we run a 3-4 Base....and I must say, it is quite awesome in my opinion

Problem comes in finding a guy who can play it. It's one thing to say you want to do it, it's something else to find somebody with the speed and quickness to cover who is also big enough and physical enough to do run support.

Where would we be had Moeller decided to take one of his offers to play at the FCS or D2 level or pursued a MWC offer instead of walking on with the Buffs?

Oregon created a hybrid defensive position and gave it a nickname? Crazy stuff.
Nick Aliotti was one of the best DCs in the nation at utilizing the Rover position and it had been a staple at Oregon since they were building the program with Brooks as HC, Belotti as OC and Aliotti as DC in the early 90s.

Back