What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching Discussion

I don't think his job is on the line. A lot of ****ty stuff transpired from the end of last season to now. IMO he has held his ground when it comes to team discipline. It is natural for fans to be pissed off and emotional when their team ****s the bed. Being a head coach isn't easy. I wonder what the fans from Clemson, UW, WSU, Auburn et al are saying today. Fire the coach, fire the coordinator, those guys don't know what they are doing. Why did they call that play? Idots!

Chances that changes are made:

Bernardi - 90 percent
Jeffcoat - 60 percent
Lindgren - 49 percent
DJ - 20 percent (should cut losses)
Hagen - 15 percent
Rest - 5-10 percent.

Will need to add 10th assistant.

I say over/under is 3. I really hope MM steps away from his blind loyalty and makes changes.

This prigram is not on NY6 by 2020 path.
Bernardi is likely to retire. I doubt there will be any other changes as quickly as you want them. Eliot came into a situation that was not optimal. Maybe he has the ability to upgrade an undersized D-line this coming recruiting season.

I just don't think that changing coaches like your underwear is prudent.

Advice to live by:

Never jump off of your boat unless you have a firm place to land.

Who in the coaching world is within CU's reach that is a better option than the reigning Coach of the Year?

CU's wallet is only so big. Poaching Saban or Harbaugh or Belichick isn't going to happen. Could CU afford to buy our Leavitt's contract, assuming that bridges aren't irrevocably burned?

Probably not much Regent support (Kroll) to buy out Mac's recently extended contract.

Tressle or Miles or Dave Logan? Umm. Really?

Could RG convince Patterson to leave TCU?

Who could CU realistically get that is better than the mastermind of The Rise?
Agree with most of this, but would you rather have Mac or Les Miles? What if Sumlin became available from A&M? I'm not there yet about Mac, but recruiting has always made me nervous about him. It needs to be consistently better for program to take next step.

BTW, F Butch Jones, he needs not ever be an option again!

I simply cannot figure out why CU has such a hard time getting quality OL and DL under MikMac.
That's probably the easiest question in the world to answer: Bernardi and Jeffcoat.

Those are two guys who, until last year, have been in charge of recruiting the OL and DL, and one of them is still in charge of recruiting linemen.

This isn't complicated; there's a reason those two coaches are the main guys who get critized for recruiting.

HCMM appears pretty unhappy and has been so since the unfolding of the Tumpkin reprimand. I'm not sure he'll ever completely get past it either. It has left a bad taste in his mouth, fairly or unfairly, and I predict it will eventually turn into him leaving at some point. Perhaps not this offseason but at some point sooner rather than later.

Bernardi is likely to retire. I doubt there will be any other changes as quickly as you want them. Eliot came into a situation that was not optimal. Maybe he has the ability to upgrade an undersized D-line this coming recruiting season.

I just don't think that changing coaches like your underwear is prudent.
Bernardo and Jeffcoat were brought on with the original staff. They have been outliers on recruiting every season. 10 won seasons and 100 million facilities should make it so you don’t have to sign and rely on 2* guys. Jeffcoat seems good at teaching, but the two of them have underwhelmed and I would even say suck at recruiting.

Mac is not going anywhere and he should not even be on the hot seat right now. Seat should be warm if we miss a bowl. O expected better for sure this year. The O is finally getting to where I thought it would be and I am not sure what everyone thinks the D should be right now. Lose the guys from last year, have multiple loses to dumbass moves that get you suspended and a couple of injuries at key spots and this D is a complete patchwork. Going to have to outscore folks the rest of the way and hope the D get some of the injured back.

Still believe we will get 6 and a bowl. That would be a good outcome right now.

That's probably the easiest question in the world to answer: Bernardi and Jeffcoat.

Those are two guys who, until last year, have been in charge of recruiting the OL and DL, and one of them is still in charge of recruiting linemen.

This isn't complicated; there's a reason those two coaches are the main guys who get critized for recruiting.
I know you are right, perhaps what I should have asked is why in the hell MikMac hasn't been doing something about for the past four years.

Agree with most of this, but would you rather have Mac or Les Miles? What if Sumlin became available from A&M? I'm not there yet about Mac, but recruiting has always made me nervous about him. It needs to be consistently better for program to take next step.

BTW, F Butch Jones, he needs not ever be an option again!

1) The ReTread strategy - getting someone who failed somewhere else. i.e., Charlie Strong, post A&M Sumlin, Bob Stoops, Chuck Fairbanks
Risk: no more fire left in the belly. Best years are behind

2) The Fallen strategy - someone who got cross-wise with the law/NCAA
e.g., Pitino, Tressel, Briles
Risk: Boulder morality police non-starter

3) The Poach - moneywipping a good HC coach into Boulder. (e.g., Gundy, Patterson, Peterson).
Risk: CU's war chest not enriched by super sized network contract, 100K stadium attendance, whale benefactor, fan donor culture)

4) The Development - Grabbing an up-and-coming OC or DC. e.g. McCartney coming from Michigan or Bobo coming to CSU from UGA). Risk: Not ready to make the jump. Use CU as stepping stone.

5) The Promotion - Grabbing an up-and-comer from an FCS/P5 program. MacIntyre, Hawkins.
Risk: Not blue-blood. Recruiting dud.

6) The family tree - Promiting assistant, former assistant, player. e.g. Barnett, Neuhiesel, Embree, Chiaverini. Risk - Comfort at first, but drama that fractures fanbase when things go wrong.

CU is pretty much a 4-6 school.

Advice to live by:

Never jump off of your boat unless you have a firm place to land.

Who in the coaching world is within CU's reach that is a better option than the reigning Coach of the Year?

CU's wallet is only so big. Poaching Saban or Harbaugh or Belichick isn't going to happen. Could CU afford to buy our Leavitt's contract, assuming that bridges aren't irrevocably burned?

Probably not much Regent support (Kroll) to buy out Mac's recently extended contract.

Tressle or Miles or Dave Logan? Umm. Really?

Could RG convince Patterson to leave TCU?

Who could CU realistically get that is better than the mastermind of The Rise?

The other thing you didn't mention here. We won 10 games last year. Our coach has not been implicated in any kind of cheating, academic issues, financially questionable activities, etc. We had the issue with an assistants actions outside of the scope of the program but even that was not a cover up, just a matter of potentially not acting quickly enough.

Any coach with common sense would look at our program firing a coach the year after winning 10 and ask if we are out of our flippin minds.

1) The ReTread strategy - getting someone who failed somewhere else. i.e., Charlie Strong, post A&M Sumlin, Bob Stoops, Chuck Fairbanks
Risk: no more fire left in the belly. Best years are behind

2) The Fallen strategy - someone who got cross-wise with the law/NCAA
e.g., Pitino, Tressel, Briles
Risk: Boulder morality police non-starter

3) The Poach - moneywipping a good HC coach into Boulder. (e.g., Gundy, Patterson, Peterson).
Risk: CU's war chest not enriched by super sized network contract, 100K stadium attendance, whale benefactor, fan donor culture)

4) The Development - Grabbing an up-and-coming OC or DC. e.g. McCartney coming from Michigan or Bobo coming to CSU from UGA). Risk: Not ready to make the jump. Use CU as stepping stone.

5) The Promotion - Grabbing an up-and-comer from an FCS/P5 program. MacIntyre, Hawkins.
Risk: Not blue-blood. Recruiting dud.

6) The family tree - Promiting assistant, former assistant, player. e.g. Barnett, Neuhiesel, Embree, Chiaverini. Risk - Comfort at first, but drama that fractures fanbase when things go wrong.

CU is pretty much a 4-6 school.
Current AP Top Ten coaches.

Saban- 3
Franklin - 5
Smart - 4
Patterson - 6
Chryst - 6
Meyer - 3
Dabo - 6
Richt - 1
Riley - 6
Gundy - 6

HCMM appears pretty unhappy and has been so since the unfolding of the Tumpkin reprimand. I'm not sure he'll ever completely get past it either. It has left a bad taste in his mouth, fairly or unfairly, and I predict it will eventually turn into him leaving at some point. Perhaps not this offseason but at some point sooner rather than later.
Why would anyone be happy? And you're predicting he'll leave eventually? Bold move, Cotton.

How could HCMM not always be on the hot seat with Les Miles and Dave Logan out there and available...I mean, c'mon! ;)

I think you have to stay with Mac. Stability is important. I think D.J. Eliot was a bad hire. His track record of Defenses is poor. Just because you sucked in the SEC doesn't mean you don't suck.
I agree they have to recruit better and I think that they have. Still have to play with the 1 and 2 stars you got tho, until the kids grow up.

yeah maybe...they all look and sound the same to me.
Only one mastered the "undercover NARC as DC" look
161010060.jpg

i nominate the original poster as the recipient of the "Nut Punch of the Week."

others deserving of a swift jab to the nads worked hard, but slider earned his crushed testes this week.

Back