What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

THIS to me is rather interesting. Two in one week and THIS one on a FRIDAY early evening. Who wants to hold a meeting early Friday night?
agree it's almost certainly unusual, but wrt Friday night, I suspect most of the regents have day jobs and are used to doing their CU duties in the evenings.

If reports are true, both initial offers are in. Things could go quickly this weekend. RG probably needs to know initial preferences and boundaries of negotiation parameters.

agree it's almost certainly unusual, but wrt Friday night, I suspect most of the regents have day jobs and are used to doing their CU duties in the evenings.

I do wonder if they have to schedule around any of Ganahl's campaign events, actually.

Probably a couple of consultant reports on market values in each league with how various scenarios change the dollars
Canzano posted a chart with conference market sizes by cities. ACC is the far bigger market but will there be enough dollars in a partnership is the question.

Spit balling here roll with me - The remaining #get****ed schools declare economic warfare on the media corporations. They pool their IT resources together and broadcast the games on free platforms-Twitter, Reddit, their respective university websites, etc. Then, they create a botnet to generate clicks, ad revenue, and an appearance of viewership. FOXSPN, Apple, et al sees viewership. Profit. They can offer the broadcasts on places like Hulu and fubo, but the botnet is the key to the whole operation

If they're smart, this won't be a TV deal. It'll be a social media company or web hosting service. They already have the tech infrastructure to host it. They might need to get a broadcasting company to agree to a contracting deal (for their cameras and ****) but they'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Imagine Facebook Twitter or amazon having the broadcasting rights to a cfb game. Talk about trimming the fat schools? Well, the fat schools are looking to trim the fat off of fox and ESPN

I don’t have time to go through your post history. Can you point me out one where you were entertaining, funny, interesting, or informative in any way? I know that task is a lot, so maybe just any where you aren’t just absolutely awful? Going back to lurking might be for the best. You’ve ruined the last few pages of this thread.

Here's one of the better ideas of the thread, and with the sports media advisor news, a real possibility. Not my fault people would rather talk CU to the mountain west although for the life of me, I don't understand why. Forgive me for not partaking in TV market talks either. The B1G has the new york market bc of rutgers!!!!!! Literally 10 people in new York are watching Rutgers football BC of Rutgers

I don’t think there is any question that the Charlotte market, and state of North Carolina, is the most desirable market for the big 10 and the SEC outside of landing notre Dame, Chicago and the national eyes they bring. @CarolinaBuff can probably provide more insight but I actually thought Charlotte seemed like more of a Clemson town than a UNC one but that could just be because it was football season and UNC football isn’t as popular as the actual brand itself.

no idea what the big ten thinks they need in order to capture the Denver market but I actually think it is the next best market for them. Not only is the Denver market the 16th biggest in the country but over 5 million live on the front range so that number is low and it is still growing like crazy. Also littered with Big 10 alums and college football fans, despite the issues we have talked about with CU support.

... Forgive me for not partaking in TV market talks either. The B1G has the new york market bc of rutgers!!!!!! Literally 10 people in new York are watching Rutgers football BC of Rutgers
it's not about more people in the NE watching CFB. it's about the B1G getting additional revenue from Fox for in-region carriers vs out-of-region carriers now that the NY/NJ states are in their region.

it may look ridiculous to see games at Rutgers' small, empty stadium compared to OSU or PSU's nearly full 100k stadiums, but the B1G is happy cashing Fox checks in the $100's of millions if that's the cost.

Last edited:
It’s an update on where things stand. No action is going to be taken in all likelihood

Come On Reaction GIF

Big 12 and Pac 10?
Yes. Latter reportedly involves Alliance, no expansion, purchase of P12Net. Reported by MHver dude. Take it for what it’s worth. I do think this is at stage of initial offers, given P12 announcement Tuesday to begin negotiations.

I don’t think there is any question that the Charlotte market, and state of North Carolina, is the most desirable market for the big 10 and the SEC outside of landing notre Dame, Chicago and the national eyes they bring. @CarolinaBuff can probably provide more insight but I actually thought Charlotte seemed like more of a Clemson town than a UNC one but that could just be because it was football season and UNC football isn’t as popular as the actual brand itself.

no idea what the big ten thinks they need in order to capture the Denver market but I actually think it is the next best market for them. Not only is the Denver market the 16th biggest in the country but over 5 million live on the front range so that number is low and it is still growing like crazy. Also littered with Big 10 alums and college football fans, despite the issues we have talked about with CU support.

I would like to agree with you, but the breakdown video posted a couple times in this thread, looking at what the Big Ten has gone for in previous expansion (leaving out the now questionable Nub choice), and we're way down the list.

Is ACC GOR voided by adding new members?

If new members are signed to existing agreement without voiding GOR, then ESPN deal can be renegotiated without risk of losing big schools.

In that case, I imagine ACC would be pushing to absorb B12+P12 properties to lock in more value for long haul and also be bailed out of current cheap deal with ESPN. ACC network and East coast exposure would be great for western schools as well.

Yes. Latter reportedly involves Alliance, no expansion, purchase of P12Net. Reported by MHver dude. Take it for what it’s worth. I do think this is at stage of initial offers, given P12 announcement Tuesday to begin negotiations.

An alliance, unless there are contracts, GORs, and legit $$$$ being talked about, is a waste of time. The Big Ten/Pac-12/ACC alliance was a ****ing smokescreen.

If new members are signed to existing agreement without voiding GOR, then ESPN deal can be renegotiated without risk of losing big schools.

In that case, I imagine ACC would be pushing to absorb B12+P12 properties to lock in more value for long haul and also be bailed out of current cheap deal with ESPN. ACC network and East coast exposure would be great for western schools as well.
1. no, I don't believe the GoR is voided by adding new members.
2. there are likely only 1 - 3 ACC schools that would want the GoR voided at this point. the rest are fkcued royally if it dissolves in the next few years and are hoping / praying the GoR holds the conference together until the wagons can be circled. so, even if expansion did get them out, they'd oppose it unless it was adding ND or some other teams that would stabilize the ACC.

If the P12 and ACC land the partnership with ESPN, that leaves Fox as the (mostly) solo bidder for the B12. Why would Fox overpay for the B12?

They’d be over a barrel just like the P12 is today with ESPN.

I don’t understand how the prevailing thought right now isn’t about building a new conference that combines the best brands and markets from the ACC/Pac10/Big12 that competes on the same level as the other two. There would obviously need to be a third party network involved in order to get the kind of money the other two conferences are getting, but I’m sure Amazon/Apple would be in the mix. Or, if you’re able to offer add ND and allow them to receive a higher share, you could also allow them to keep their NBC package and expand it to all their games instead of just home games.

Create the only true national conference with brands and markets that are on the same level and profit massively.

Charlotte is a very fractured market. And there a ton of transplants in that city, not just from points in the south, but also the mid-Atlantic region as well. Personally, I’d say the Tar Heels are #1 in that market. NC State is bigger in the Triangle, but also has its support in Charlotte too. Some people really like App State, impressively so for a smaller conference school. Duke’s popularity is usually over-weighted by people out of state.

As far as out of state programs go, Clemson is indeed #1 in Charlotte. But in the end, it’s really fractured and nowhere like it’s in Georgia with UGA.

If the P12 and ACC land the partnership with ESPN, that leaves Fox as the (mostly) solo bidder for the B12. Why would Fox overpay for the B12?

They’d be over a barrel just like the P12 is today with ESPN.
Yeah, I think this could be as much about the ACC/Pac10 reducing the Big 12 to an effective G5 conference and removing those 12 programs from competing for CFP and recruits.

An alliance, unless there are contracts, GORs, and legit $$$$ being talked about, is a waste of time. The Big Ten/Pac-12/ACC alliance was a ****ing smokescreen.
The monetization for the Alliance seems to be extra OOC games, championship games, expansion (perhaps) and broader distribution of P12N. If this gets into GoR is a way that voids current ACC contract, the big teams bolt unfettered. I don’t see that.

I don’t understand how the prevailing thought right now isn’t about building a new conference that combines the best brands and markets from the ACC/Pac10/Big12 that competes on the same level as the other two. There would obviously need to be a third party network involved in order to get the kind of money the other two conferences are getting, but I’m sure Amazon/Apple would be in the mix. Or, if you’re able to offer add ND and allow them to receive a higher share, you could also allow them to keep their NBC package and expand it to all their games instead of just home games.

Create the only true national conference with brands and markets that are on the same level and profit massively.
I’ve tweeted this at Wilner like 18 times.

Right, ok. Stats 101 was hard I guess
Step 1 Normalize the variable
Avg viewership per team that year (we'll be extremely generous to the pac 12 teams)-
Washington 2.5 mil + wazzou 750k
OU 3 mil + WVU 500k
Iowa and corn 1.5 mil each for a total of 3 mil
Step 2 Test association
The apple cup included teams who average 3.25 mil any other game (lol) and 4.7 mil for a gain of ~1.5 mil viewers
OU vs WVU avg 3.5 but got 5.7 mil viewers for a gain of 2.2 mil

Do you see where I'm going with this genius?... Using absurd numbers for the pac and realistic for NU vs Iowa (700k gain) the story is a little different. Using the real avg viewership for UW and WAZZU, lets just say it's 1.5 mil and 350k respectively, that would mean an extra 2.3 million fans tuned in for that game...I'm guessing a few of them are SEC fans. Lol, nice try
I'll get to them but you're missing the point, it's not a theory (in layman's terms). I proved it using the most basic of statistical measuring and the numbers you gave me yourself.

FOXSPN doesn't care about the apple cup because every other pac 12 game is crab grass. They see the games that do well and they're are all ooc games. What they fail to realize is all those miss state bama games that get 5 mil viewers... no one outside of those teams fan bases are watching unless it's an upset and the viewers are 75% bama fans. They think that getting USC vs tOSU will get rose bowl numbers ie each teams fan base plus every cfb fan. Yeah, good luck with that. USC fans are the biggest bandwagoners in cfb. Texas and bama getting cotton bowl numbers!? No, if I cared to watch bama curb stomp someone, their game against vandy is as good as any.

The corn CU game in 2019 had nearly 1.5 million more viewers than USC UCLA in 2019.

it's not about more people in the NE watching CFB. it's about the B1G getting additional revenue from Fox for in-region carriers vs out-of-region carriers now that the NY/NJ states are in their region.

it may look ridiculous to see games at Rutger's small, empty stadium compared to OSU or PSU's nearly full 100k stadiums, but the B1G is happy cashing Fox checks in the $100's of millions if that's the cost.
Sure, no comment...dare I say...fif!?

I've already made sound arguments as to why I don't think it will work. The novelty will wear off and those big markets will lose interest as Texas continues to suck against bama.

You can make a good argument about the greed of FOXSPN very easily. I think you can make an even better argument about the greed of Texas and USC. Imo, this about usc and Texas getting curb stomped by Utah and Iowa state every other year for the past decade. Noo!!! They don't generate the revenue we do! They should get half our media cut BC no one wants to watch them beat us!! FOXSPN are easy targets and yes they deserve a lot of blame. But if they were alone in this process, UO, UW, and okie lite would be along for the ride. Bedlam alone is probably worth more than 75% of SEC games but idk, dont care to look it up rn

Back