What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN 30 for 30 "The Gospel according to Mac" Tonight at 7pm MT

Woody Paige hated Coach Mac. Most of what he said was BS. Jack Vickers and Robert Six were big boosters in the 70s. They were behind getting Fairbanks to leave New England Patriots and go to CU which resulted in CU getting sued by the Patriots and losing having to pay out over a million dollars (a lot of money in the 70s). After that fiasco both Six and Vickers were distanced from the program. His story of Six is just false - Six retired from Continental in 1982 (before Mac was hired) and he died in 1986 so he would not have gotten players jobs 4 years after his death.

Vickers and Six were not really involved in CU athletics by the time McCartney was hired.

It is hard for me to say as I was outside of the incidents that they reviewed in the show and I was a white guy on campus. I do know that if there was a black kid in my classes, they were a football, basketball or track athlete. There were very few black kids on campus. I remember most of incidents and like others have said, I do vividly remember the JJ Flanigan run in. It was racially motivated. It existed but like I said, I was outside of it and did not witness the overt racism. I do not doubt what they said.
I remember a lot of ugly comments about Kristy sleeping with black guys.

A nice directing point in the 30 for 30 episode was getting McCartney to re-enact some of his best material.

"100 ft redwood trees don't fall over because the roots are intertwined" speech in the locker room.

"Water at 211 degrees doesn't do anything but water at 212 degrees can power a steam engine that can pull a train over a mountain pass"

Also filming him in an SUV driving up US36 and giving his recruiting pitch was fantastic. It was like Mac was recruiting the viewers. I loved his quip that losing a bet is the only reason a kid would pick Lincoln or Norman over Boulder.

A nice directing point in the 30 for 30 episode was getting McCartney to re-enact some of his best material.

"100 ft redwood trees don't fall over because the roots are intertwined" speech in the locker room.

"Water at 211 degrees doesn't do anything but water at 212 degrees can power a steam engine that can pull a train over a mountain pass"

Also filming him in an SUV driving up US36 and giving his recruiting pitch was fantastic. It was like Mac was recruiting the viewers. I loved his quip that losing a bet is the only reason a kid would pick Lincoln or Norman over Boulder.

groan. does't water boil at 202F in Boulder? and the shortest pass in the state would be closer to 200.5F? and that doesn't even account for the increased pressure inside the steam engine.

groan. does't water boil at 202F in Boulder? and the shortest pass in the state would be closer to 200.5F? and that doesn't even account for the increased pressure inside the steam engine.
I don't think it is imperative for McCartney to do a dialogue on the variability of boiling water temps due to altitude or the pressure/temp scenarios of a steam locomotive.

LA is at sea level.I'm guessing he used that line more in Cali, Texas, and Louisiana.

Beat me to it, haha.

LA is at sea level.I'm guessing he used that line more in Cali, Texas, and Louisiana.
still have that "mountain pass" issue.

I don't think it is imperative for McCartney to do a dialogue on the variability of boiling water temps due to altitude or the pressure/temp scenarios of a steam locomotive.
good point, not like he worked for a university and was addressing students.

Can we please get a statue erected of Sal outside of the new Champions Center?
Sal's Somoan, I think he'd rather be inside where it is warm.

Hawkins did a terrible thing trying to erase much of the history of this program. Embree tried to return it but was such a disaster that he did more harm than good.

More could be done to remember a lot of the great players in the history of the program with Sal among those who should be recognized.

I've been pretty harsh to Hokie lately. I do like the guy.
Don't worry, I actually didn't get it.

but in any event, I fully expect Buff alums to passionately respond to any perceived slight against their legendary coach. Ten years ago, I would've done the same for perceived slights against Beamer; I might get back to that mode in another ten years.

I remember a lot of ugly comments about Kristy sleeping with black guys.

I remember the same thing. She definitely had a reputation. In the show, she said she was chasing Sal and he didn't love her. Mac was smart in telling Sal not to marry her unless he loved her. At that point, nobody knew what would happen to Sal.

Back