What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of football series vs CSU

Yeah, the whole neutral site thing should go away, but you still have to play other teams. If CU is going to swap out CSU for teams like Wisconsin, Tennessee, and TCU well then more power to you - get that done. But if it's for more of SJSU, Mass, and Hawaii, then why not play CSU in home stadiums?
None of those G5 teams have the rivalry aspect that CSU does. They would be energized for the game, but that doesn't match CSU'S emotion to the game. And I wouldn't have to be around CSU "fans"

I am not a CU fan, but a Pac 12 fan. I really don't understand why you do the yearly game with CSU at a neutral site. That would be like us (UCLA) having a yearly neutral site game with San Diego State or Fresno State. There is no upside to winning, but plenty of downside to losing. Plus you lose a potential home game.

I get that there is history here, but IMO this game only makes sense as a 2:1 or if CSU gets a Big 12 invite it can be neutral or 1:1.

Colorado should schedule 1:1 with P5 opponents, 2:1 with non-P5 FBS opponents, and home games only with FCS or other tomato cans. That's pretty much the direction everyone is going, with some exceptions.
Just my opinion.

Here a third person perspective from a guy who "gets it."

Of course, CSU shouldn't worry too much. They're lining up for a Pac 12 invite around 2020, aren't they?

I am sure that's the case for you and quite a few other CSU fans. But, respectfully, there is a sizable segment of your fanbase that comes out of the woodworks only for the CU-CSU game. Everyone here has a story about a CSU friend / coworker / family member that talks up their team during the week of the RMS, then doesn't bother to watch a single other game on their team's schedule; even in an exceptional year like you just had. You might say we're only offering anecdotal evidence, but you had just 22K there for Senior Day against NM, when you were still actually ranked (or on the verge?). Without CU on the schedule, your core group of fans who actually pay attention to the season just isn't a big - the only question is to what degree.
You really get no argument from me here. The RMS does bring out more people who otherwise don't give a **** the rest of the year. I still think focuses will shift, although some of the passion might go away.

We can talk attendance smack, CSU's attendance isn't good and we don't have a large fan base, but that 22K number really isn't terrible given school wasn't in session (no students), the size of our fan base in general, and we were playing New Mexico. Not that it's some huge thing to brag about but there were two sellouts in the weeks previous to that. What would CU's attendance be if New Mexico were the senior day opponent? I think we can all admit that a decent part of CU's fan base/attendance advantage is due to the conference they play in. That's ok, it's nothing to apologize for, but expecting both schools to be the same or painting it as a negative when CSU has a lower attendance isn't an apples to apples comparison. If CSU and CU had the same attendance it would tell you more about CU than CSU.

CSU had a good attendance year in 2014. A lot of that had to do with winning against CU and BC, though. Lose both of those games and it's right back to shoe-horning 15,000 disinterested souls into Hughes to witness a showdown with Utah State.

CSU had a good attendance year in 2014. A lot of that had to do with winning against CU and BC, though. Lose both of those games and it's right back to shoe-horning 15,000 disinterested souls into Hughes to witness a showdown with Utah State.
This is true, but it isn't any different than CU or most other schools (once we scale for conference/national exposure). What would CU's attendance have looked like last year with a similar record and a MWC schedule? Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming CSU has great attendance or even great attendance given the circumstances, there is still a lot of work to do there, but we shouldn't be comparing attendance between Pac and MWC teams.

bump - I think this is still active

The students will show either way. It's not like the CSU "fans" ever really show up. Basically, all that will happen is it will be a wash. Who cares? IF it achieves the goal, worth it.

I was at the RMS this past season -- I was loud, intoxicated and energetically cheering the Buffs (i.e. doing my part), but I think CSU fans controlled the atmosphere at that game.

CU students were terrible this last year. I don't think the Denver game is appealing to them at all anymore. In past years they dominated the crowd noise.

Warning: this might get long.

What's reasonable or fair comes down to what other options each side has. Can CU find another beatable team to come to Folsom 7 out of 10 years that will be a guaranteed sellout? Can CSU regularly schedule 1-1s with P5 programs that would provide at least one home game every other year and is sellout or close to it? The answers to those questions are probably not and try again later.

I've read every post in this thread and follow allbuffs semi-regularly, only really commenting on CSU-related discussion. I get that a good majority of CU fans on here are over this series and want it to end. I get not wanting to play "home" games in Denver. I get the headaches and frustration that come with dealing with an annoying opposing fan base. I think much of that is fixable.

I would propose moving CU's home games in the series back to Folsom while CSU plays theirs in Denver until the new stadium is ready. Guarantee that CU can be the home team in years where they have 4 Pac home games. Those are pretty easy changes IMO. The next one is not so easy.

Both fan bases contribute to the **** that gets spewed. I don't know who started it but both contribute to the cycle. CSU is little brother and is so irrelevant... CSU wins a game every 3rd year and then you never hear the end of it, at least in part because of the perceived arrogance/talk leading up the game and throughout the year... Wow I hate these CSU fans, I hate this series, go back to cowtown and be irrelevant for the year besides when we play you for charity... CU wins the next two years and it's I told you so CSU sucks, we are so much better, we play in the Pac 12 little brother and don't you forget it... CSU wins again and reminds CU that both squads have the same amount of Pac wins over the last 2 years... This series is stupid and if we stopped playing them it would completely ruin them... Good, if we stopped playing CU it would help our SOS... and on and on and on.

Both fan bases need to stfu. CU is in the dumps. CSU had one moderately good season, after being in the dumps, and who knows what future years will bring. There is absolutely no respect for the opposing program and fan base and it's ridiculous given the lack of success both programs have had lately. Neither program has anything to brag about. The arrogance on both sides is so undeserved it's astounding. Changing that starts with us as fans, and on both sides. In a way, that's what I'm trying to do here. We can talk football, be fans of our respective teams, and still realize that CU and CSU being good again is the best thing for everyone, both are decent schools, and both towns are different yet great places to live. When you strip away all the fan base bs there is little to dislike about the opposing school/program. We can (and should) still want our teams to win without demonizing the other one. It all comes down to respect.

I never really answered the initial question. I think both programs would benefit from being able to host a winnable guaranteed sellout every other year. I think both programs would benefit from working together to raise the profile of college football in Colorado. I think both programs would benefit from this series being continued (note: I did not say NEED, each would be ok without it too). Pushing for a 2-1 is likely to lead to the end of the series, with both programs taking their chances elsewhere. I don't think that's a risk worth taking.

Great post - repable, but I have no more to give today.

Warning: this might get long.

What's reasonable or fair comes down to what other options each side has. Can CU find another beatable team to come to Folsom 7 out of 10 years that will be a guaranteed sellout? Can CSU regularly schedule 1-1s with P5 programs that would provide at least one home game every other year and is sellout or close to it? The answers to those questions are probably not and try again later.

I've read every post in this thread and follow allbuffs semi-regularly, only really commenting on CSU-related discussion. I get that a good majority of CU fans on here are over this series and want it to end. I get not wanting to play "home" games in Denver. I get the headaches and frustration that come with dealing with an annoying opposing fan base. I think much of that is fixable.

I would propose moving CU's home games in the series back to Folsom while CSU plays theirs in Denver until the new stadium is ready. Guarantee that CU can be the home team in years where they have 4 Pac home games. Those are pretty easy changes IMO. The next one is not so easy.

Both fan bases contribute to the **** that gets spewed. I don't know who started it but both contribute to the cycle. CSU is little brother and is so irrelevant... CSU wins a game every 3rd year and then you never hear the end of it, at least in part because of the perceived arrogance/talk leading up the game and throughout the year... Wow I hate these CSU fans, I hate this series, go back to cowtown and be irrelevant for the year besides when we play you for charity... CU wins the next two years and it's I told you so CSU sucks, we are so much better, we play in the Pac 12 little brother and don't you forget it... CSU wins again and reminds CU that both squads have the same amount of Pac wins over the last 2 years... This series is stupid and if we stopped playing them it would completely ruin them... Good, if we stopped playing CU it would help our SOS... and on and on and on.

Both fan bases need to stfu. CU is in the dumps. CSU had one moderately good season, after being in the dumps, and who knows what future years will bring. There is absolutely no respect for the opposing program and fan base and it's ridiculous given the lack of success both programs have had lately. Neither program has anything to brag about. The arrogance on both sides is so undeserved it's astounding. Changing that starts with us as fans, and on both sides. In a way, that's what I'm trying to do here. We can talk football, be fans of our respective teams, and still realize that CU and CSU being good again is the best thing for everyone, both are decent schools, and both towns are different yet great places to live. When you strip away all the fan base bs there is little to dislike about the opposing school/program. We can (and should) still want our teams to win without demonizing the other one. It all comes down to respect.

I never really answered the initial question. I think both programs would benefit from being able to host a winnable guaranteed sellout every other year. I think both programs would benefit from working together to raise the profile of college football in Colorado. I think both programs would benefit from this series being continued (note: I did not say NEED, each would be ok without it too). Pushing for a 2-1 is likely to lead to the end of the series, with both programs taking their chances elsewhere. I don't think that's a risk worth taking.

Good stuff Ramfan-I think both fanbases are on the same page-the game needs to go back to campus. I think you guys also have the same issues with the game that most of us have-the Denver police, the venue in general, etc. As much as I like doing Boulder-Denver (until your new stadium is built), I doubt the Denver people (the Broncos and Metro Sports Commission) would go for that. If I'm understanding the developments this week, Rick George wanted the series back on campus NOW, and he was told no by both CSU and the Broncos.

It seems to me that Rick George is playing chess to CSU's checkers here......The PR beating that we knew was coming has been nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Many on the radio have been saying (and I'm not referring to CU people like Alfred Williams when I say that) that they understand why Rick George is doing this-We need 6 games at home a year, and we don't have that in 2017, and wouldn't have that this year if we don't have the extra game as a result of the Hawaii exemption. OTOH, CSU either thinks we'll cave like Florida did when you played hardball with them over Sparkles' buyout. More than likely, Sackman is right, and your leadership doesn't understand how much you need this game to played every year.

Yeah, the whole neutral site thing should go away, but you still have to play other teams. If CU is going to swap out CSU for teams like Wisconsin, Tennessee, and TCU well then more power to you - get that done. But if it's for more of SJSU, Mass, and Hawaii, then why not play CSU in home stadiums?

Because, even in a 2-1 situation, that road game isn't in a recruiting region already dominated by Colorado. That road game is in a location with either alumni, or an opportunity for kids recruited from those areas to play a game in their home state. Whether it's CSU, AF or even Wyoming, there is no value in CU playing a road game against those teams. CU's road non-conf's should be in Texas, Hawaii, the North East, or even additional games in California would present more value staying in region.

If we drop CSU, I look forward to playing more P5 OOC.

This.
Life is too short to have CSU cockblock some opportunity to witness gameday on storied campuses around the nation.
one marque roadie every other year or so would be fantastic.

my CU bucket list includes:
@ LSU
@ Old Miss
@ Wisconsin
@ UVA
@ AFA
@ Army - Westpoint
@ ND
@ penn State

I may get blasted for this, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few old Big 8 foes, such as Mizzery, Oklahoma or Kansas. Probably just nostalgia, but I think some of those could be fun.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing some home & aways scheduled with the service academies. West Point and Annapolis would be great road trips and also great home draws.

I want to play these teams just for the road trips:

North Carolina
Rutgers (New York)
Louisville
Northwestern (Chicago)
Boston College (Boston)
LSU (New Orleans)

Iowa City is a fun town. Regarding CSU, need to win going forward. Looks pretty bad if we keep losing and then bail.

I totally agree. We need to hang the next five games around their neck. Then drop the mic.

I may get blasted for this, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few old Big 8 foes, such as Mizzery, Oklahoma or Kansas. Probably just nostalgia, but I think some of those could be fun.

The issue with old Big 8 foes is that CU fans don't exactly show up in force. History shows less than 1000 fans going to Columbia, Lawrence, or Norman.

The nostalga play for Buff fans is watching former B8 peers take field in Boulder.

Having been to Norman and Lawrence, I can claim "been there, done that."

Let me tell you that game day in Norman and Lawrence aren't nearly as fun as Okie Light or Texas Tech.
The fans are't as friendly. Lodging is limited at both OU and KU, which may mean spending the night in OKC or KC. Boring!

If I could choose just 1 or 2 road trips a year, I'd prioritze a trip to any Pac12 location ahead of KU and OU.

A game at West Point would be epic. We talk about the natural beauty of the CU campus. It's got nothing on West Point. That place is awe inspiring.

As for roadies that I'd like, most have been mentioned already, but for the sake of dreaming:

Ole Miss - would LOVE to experience tailgating there. I could learn a thing or two from those folks, I think.
Clemson - That part of the country is awesome. Love it. I love their passion for football, too.
Tulane - Hey, it's in New Orleans. Hells yeah!
Duke - Reunite MM and Cutliffe.
Northwestern - Chicago roadie in September, catch a Cubs game while we're at it. Eat a meal at Harry Caray's.

Because, even in a 2-1 situation, that road game isn't in a recruiting region already dominated by Colorado. That road game is in a location with either alumni, or an opportunity for kids recruited from those areas to play a game in their home state. Whether it's CSU, AF or even Wyoming, there is no value in CU playing a road game against those teams. CU's road non-conf's should be in Texas, Hawaii, the North East, or even additional games in California would present more value staying in region.

Yes and no. Some of my take is going back on Mike Bohn and his headscratching OOC scheduling. In terms of the Northeast, we need to keep that at a level where we're playing American teams (ideally at a 2 for 1 basis-I think you can get that with most people in that league outside of UConn and Cincy), BC, Army, or Syracuse. We don't need to be playing people like UMass or Buffalo anywhere but Boulder. As far as California, I'd argue the upcoming series with San Jose State does very little for us-especially given that it was scheduled before MM took the job here. Same with Fresno, but they'll schedule any P5 team they can get at deals that are favorable to them. San Diego State makes some sense-NFL stadium, and you're playing in front of your recruits.

As far as locally, why are we still talking about the local round-robin thing? Wyoming will come here for a one-off, and they've done so twice in the last 20 years. Air Force will never play us in football-Not only history, but they have one OOC slot they can play with (Army, Navy, and the cupcake they play more often than not).

The issue with old Big 8 foes is that CU fans don't exactly show up in force. History shows less than 1000 fans going to Columbia, Lawrence, or Norman.

The nostalga play for Buff fans is watching former B8 peers take field in Boulder.

Having been to Norman and Lawrence, I can claim "been there, done that."

Let me tell you that game day in Norman and Lawrence aren't nearly as fun as Okie Light or Texas Tech.
The fans are't as friendly. Lodging is limited at both OU and KU, which may mean spending the night in OKC or KC. Boring!

If I could choose just 1 or 2 road trips a year, I'd prioritze a trip to any Pac12 location ahead of KU and OU.

Depends on the school. I've always been open to playing K-State again-That game was nowhere near the level of rivalry that we had with Nebraska, but those games were pretty fun from 1995-2005ish.

Would love to play at LSU. When we played Georgia those fans said LSU has the best fans because all they want to do is get drunk and party no matter what team you root for. Oh and they also cook the most amazing food. Count me in.

Didn't we have LSU on a future schedule awhile back and it fell through? I like some of the matchups mentioned, ill add another Arkansas. Anybody mentioned them I missed it.

Depends on the school. I've always been open to playing K-State again-That game was nowhere near the level of rivalry that we had with Nebraska, but those games were pretty fun from 1995-2005ish.

If any former Big 8 program wants to do a one and done game in Boulder, I'm good with that.

But let's forget about the return trip. We have the Nubs on a future schedule for the nostalgia crowd for a 2-2 series. That's plenty for now.

I don't know why I made the mistake of looking at the Denver Post sports section. But a headline there says this by Mike Klis: "5 CSU Rams, 0 CU Buffs invited to NFL scouting combine"

another reason to end the CU-CSU series. It seems like the Denver Post has some agenda against the Buffs maybe? If zero buffs were invited to the combine, is that news? If your story is about the 5 players from CSU, in my opinion you diminished their success by making it more about us than their success. Celebrate their invites but seems to me it's more also a dig at CU. It's just my opinion and maybe other will disagree, but most local papers support their schools. The Denver Post should he ashamed of the CU bashing that goes on.

i think both schools could benefit from this ending.

Back