What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of football series vs CSU

Showing a high level of professionalism, after a hatchet job last year, I sent Hendo-Perv's editor an email. I succinctly distilled how ****ed the serial gymnast stalker was and I did it without a single reference to the fact that the dp was employing a person who publicly fantasized about child molestation on Twitter.

The dp editor told me basically to go **** myself. These are the very bottom feeders of a dying profession. They are irrelevant. They don't make any money. Their jobs are constantly at risk of elimination. And they are very bitter about it.

Paige made the jump to tv. He's set. But kizla and the rest will never be more than they are now. They try to elevate their presence by being controversial. But they forget that all the guys who've actually broken through to other media have more talent than they do.

In less than 10 years, kizla and the rest of the dp sports staff will be in other professions. Hendo-Perv was smart enough to see this and fled to Southern Europe to pursue his other interests with less fear of indictment.

Allegedly.

AFA still a bucket list team. Just one series every 10-15 years is a good start.

Vietnam era grudges are a stupid reason to punish today's fan.

The teams compete in BB and track. No reason to be selectively punitive towards football.

Agree with you. I wouldn't mind playing them once in a blue moon, but having people put forth the "front range rotation" thing anytime this conversation comes up is getting to be like fingernails on a chalkboard.

When I was in college, I worked for a landscaping company during the summer. My boss hired this down-and-out-guy. The dude was seemingly well-intentioned and needed a break. My boss got some work out of him, so it wasn't a complete loss, but he clearly hired the dude out of the goodness of his heart, at some expense to his business.

So this down-and-out-dude, started going door-to-door to our customers, saying that the boss didn't pay him enough, and then offered to do the landscaping maintenance for less. Basically, he was undercutting the boss that hired him out of charity. It was inappropriate on a number of levels.

Of course our boss found out and fired the dude, and he freaked out and made some alarming, threatening statements, and the courts got involved. His self-righteous indignation was completely misplaced.

That's what this whole CSU thing reminds me of.

Make no mistake. The current RMS contract was a charity project for CSU, forced upon CU by pressure from the governor and the state legislature (at a time when the University need to curry political favor for very specific reasons).

If you go back and read the Daily Camera archives, the CU fans were consistent in their message. CU's home game belongs on campus. Period. We were unified in our opposition to this contract, because we firmly believed our game belonged in Folsom. CSU couldn't make enough money in Hughes, and this whole Invesco/Sports Authority game became a thing.

CSU fans said that the game would make Colorado football relevant: It didn't.

They said the game day atmosphere would be superior to the campus version: It isn't.

The CSU fanbase believed that the stadium would be full each year: it's not.

The CSU fans believed a national spotlight would shift on Denver annually for the game: Nobody pays attention. It's a joke.

It pisses me off, a lot, when CSU fans complain about the game. They forced it on us, and everything they believed about it was wrong. The CU fans were right in early 2008, and they're right now. This whole thing sucks.

CSU has no right to be upset over the charity they were offered. They have substandard facilities and pressured the state government to leverage CU's political need into a bad arrangement for CU. Now they think we owe them something. We don't.

CSU should say "thank you" for the charitable arrangement, but they're unappreciative and entitled instead.

Ramfan is a great poster, but he's not right when he states (paraphrased) that CU is taking itself a little too seriously here. What's a standard arrangement for a P5 v. G5 series? It has nothing to do with which team is better. What is the standard arrangement? Why would we do something different here? Why has CSU come to expect charity? It's a very entitled response to the initial handout.

One final point. CSU put up a good football team the last couple of years, but the RMS still sucked. You know why? Because CU sucks. How sad, that even when moderately relevant, CSU's program is still hitched to CU's success. CU is the only team that matters in that game.

Considering that, CSU fans should spew less vitriol. Most CU fans have either historically rooted for CSU or were at worst, neutral. However, the petty, weird hate that CSU has dumped on us for the last 15 years has really changed that. They've become very easy to hate.

If I could offer advice to the CSU fancies and AD leadership (insomuch as they have any at the moment), it would be to not bite the hand that feeds.

I'd like to hear what the CSU AD has to say about all this...

Oh yeah, they don't have an AD. Are they even looking for one, or does Tony appoint himself? He's done such a great job thus far.

Woody Paige should stick to Journalism, he is a lousy business man. The game have more impact if it is played on campus. It impacts the peripheral businesses like bars, merchandising, food sales and etc. it was a bad idea to play it in Denver. We should work on trying to end the contract before 2020.

LOL. Paige is a fat buffoon who very rarely writes or says anything insightful. I only wanted to see that because Neill called him out in the column he wrote yesterday. A little off my point, but did he look drunk or hungover in that video to anybody else who watched it?

In terms of the coherent things he said in the video-This city and state will always be Broncos well ahead of anything else, even in years where the Broncos aren't a Super Bowl contender. Go back to 2001 and our last great team-We were computer points away from getting drilled by Miami in the Rose Bowl/National Championship Game that year, and the Denver media still paid as much, if not more attention to an 8-8 Bronco team that didn't sniff the playoffs. That matters here because this game doesn't get enough attention from non-CU diehards to warrant a) continuing it at all, and b) passing legislation that I'm sure exists regarding rivalries in the South (that I'm sure buffoons like Paige would compare this to if you let them) to force it to continue. On years where it is the opener, it only gets attention because the Denver media (especially after the Broncos cut all those guys who had no shot to make the final roster anyway) doesn't have anything Bronco related to talk about for 10 days. This year, it'll be played after the Bronco opener, so it'll get nowhere near that kind of attention during the week leading up to it. I suppose George's comments from this past week could be brought up again-but if little brother loses to Minnesota, its not going to matter.

Last edited:
When I was in college, I worked for a landscaping company during the summer. My boss hired this down-and-out-guy. The dude was seemingly well-intentioned and needed a break. My boss got some work out of him, so it wasn't a complete loss, but he clearly hired the dude out of the goodness of his heart, at some expense to his business.

So this down-and-out-dude, started going door-to-door to our customers, saying that the boss didn't pay him enough, and then offered to do the landscaping maintenance for less. Basically, he was undercutting the boss that hired him out of charity. It was inappropriate on a number of levels.

Of course our boss found out and fired the dude, and he freaked out and made some alarming, threatening statements, and the courts got involved. His self-righteous indignation was completely misplaced.

Make no mistake. The current RMS contract was a charity project for CSU, forced upon CU by pressure from the governor and the state legislature (at a time when the University need to curry political favor for very specific reasons).

If you go back and read the Daily Camera archives, the CU fans were consistent in their message. CU's home game belongs on campus. Period. We were unified in our opposition to this contract, because we firmly believed our game belonged in Folsom. CSU couldn't make enough money in Hughes, and this whole Invesco/Sports Authority game became a thing.

They said the game day atmosphere would be superior to the campus version: It isn't.

The CSU fans believed a national spotlight would shift on Denver annually for the game: Nobody pays attention. It's a joke.

It pisses me off, a lot, when CSU fans complain about the game. They forced it on us, and everything they believed about it was wrong. The CU fans were right in early 2008, and they're right now. This whole thing sucks.

CSU has no right to be upset over the charity they were offered. They have substandard facilities and pressured the state government to leverage CU's political need into a bad arrangement for CU. Now they think we owe them something. We don't.

CSU should say "thank you" for the charitable arrangement, but they're unappreciative and entitled instead.

Ramfan is a great poster, but he's not right when he states (paraphrased) that CU is taking itself a little too seriously here. What's a standard arrangement for a P5 v. G5 series? It has nothing to do with which team is better. What is the standard arrangement? Why would we do something different here? Why has CSU come to expect charity? It's a very entitled response to the initial handout.

One final point. CSU put up a good football team the last couple of years, but the RMS still sucked. You know why? Because CU sucks. How sad, that even when moderately relevant, CSU's program is still hitched to CU's success. CU is the only team that matters in that game.

Considering that, CSU fans should spew less vitriol. Most CU fans have either historically rooted for CSU or were at worst, neutral. However, the petty, weird hate that CSU has dumped on us for the last 15 years has really changed that. They've become very easy to hate.

If I could offer advice to the CSU fancies and AD leadership (insomuch as they have any at the moment), it would be to not bite the hand that feeds.

Utah is the best comparison IMO-Theres obviously their series with Utah State, and (since their conference change) BYU. They have an upcoming 2-for-1 with BYU that starts this year, and they've played three games with Utah State since they've joined the Pac 12-two were in Salt Lake City.

Agree with you. I wouldn't mind playing them once in a blue moon, but having people put forth the "front range rotation" thing anytime this conversation comes up is getting to be like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Over engineering a rotation of local schools is as grating as a forced contract with CSU.

But I do favor the idea of giving CU students an opportunity to have a road trip experience that is within driving distance to other college campuses.

The college sports fan experience is heightened by following your team from campus to campus. It's healthy for CU fans to explore other campuses and soak in what other institutions have to offer.

CU is geographically isolated. It's not as bad as Hawaii, but the fact is that there are a limited number of D1 schools within a three hour drive of Boulder. The closest P5 school is a 10 hour drive away.

If most CU fans don't visit the facilities of Oregon or Cal or ASU, will we ever really be able to understand what CU is really up against? Will we really be able to appreciate what we have? Will we really be able to keep our campus leadership accountable for keeping CU competitive versus our peers?

The problem is that CU students can't see other campuses without booking flights or taking off weekdays to drive. For a large number of CU students to visit other campuses by car, the options are limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
The threat to take the matter to the legislature borders on the absurd, and is worrying at the same time. This could be done in two separate ways. If someone at the legislature wanted to get involved, especially if they were on the JBC, they could make implied or outright threats to attack general funding for CU i unless CU agrees to a series, which is my understanding about what happened last time when CU was forced to resume the series with CSU. This is the most likely way someone at the Capitol would go. The other way would be for a member to sponsor a bill specifically requiring CU and CSU to play every year, which is possibly in the legislature's power, and possibly not.

Under the first option, I don't think that it would be as easy to do this as it was the last time around, which was not only in the pre-social media era but in what amounted to the pre-internet era (my memory was that it happened when CompuServe offered a non-graphical interface for home online use, which had no access outside of the closed CompuServe network). While the DP and the RMN covered the shenanigans, I think that it was a lot easier to engage in such shenanigans in a bygone era. In this day and age, if someone tried to pull such shenanigans, groups like the good folks here on AllBuffs, the Rivals Board, and even (shudder) Netbuffs could easily organize the kind of resistance that could have a good chance to kill such an effort. It is pretty easy these days to inundate legislators with all kinds of communications aimed at killing such an effort. Also, it would be pretty easy to organize a platoon of Buff fans to speak at numerous committee hearings where these issues come up. One thing about Colorado legislative committee hearings, is everyone gets an opportunity to speak--everyone. You just put your name on a list and you get to talk (I have done it many times). A little bit of visible opposition to an effort like this can go a long, long way.

The second option--a specific bill to force the game, would be almost impossible. First, I think it would be subject to a possibly successful constitutional challenge if passed. The University of Colorado is subject to specific provisions in the state Constitution (so is CSU, for that matter, but not as many). One of the interesting provisions seems to me to take decisions about things like scheduling football games outside of the legislature's jurisdiction. For instance, there is this language, for instance Article VIII, Sec 5(a):

(2) The governing boards of the state institutions of higher education, whether established by this constitution or by law, shall have the general supervision of their respective institutions and the exclusive control and direction of all funds of and appropriations to their respective institutions, unless otherwise provided by law.

The language "unless otherwise provided by law" could, and probably would, be read as giving the legislature the authority to somehow limit the supervisory powers, but I think only to a limited extent, based on another provision of the state constitution. The office of CU Regent, unlike the boards of other universities, is specifically created by the State Constitution, as is the position of University President, in Article IX, Sections 12 and 13:

Section 12. Regents of university. There shall be nine regents of the university of Colorado who shall be elected in the manner prescribed by law for terms of six years each. Said regents shall constitute a body corporate to be known by the name and style of "The Regents of the University of Colorado". The board of regents shall select from among its members a chairman who shall conduct the meetings of the board and a vice-chairman who shall assume the duties of the chairman in case of his absence.

Section 13. President of university. The regents of the university shall elect a president of the university who shall hold his office until removed by the board of regents. He shall be the principal executive officer of the university, a member of the faculty thereof, and shall carry out the policies and programs established by the board of regents.

I would argue that these two provisions, read in concert, give the Regents exclusive constitutional authority to set "policy" for the university, which I think would cover things like how to schedule football games, and that the President (and his underlings, like the Chancellor and Athletic Director) has exclusive constitutional authority to carry out those policies. I think that there is a good argument that the legislature thus has no authority to usurp the Regents in their setting the "policies" of the University. Were I University Counsel (and I am most certainly not), I would be totally comfortable advising the President and the Regents to file a lawsuit to hold any specific statute discussing scheduling football games to be unconstitutional. Would it be a guaranteed winner? Absolutely not, but I think that it would have a better chance than the Buffs would in winning 8 games this coming season.

Even without the possibility of a lawsuit, it is hard to imagine what a football scheduling statute in this case would look like. It would almost have to dictate contractual terms to work, or to create some kind of state commission which would dictate the contractual terms--and creating such a commission would seem to conflict with the constitutional provisions I have already quoted.

So, if an effort is made, it will be made by people on the JBC (joint budget committee) who have the juice to say "unless you sign a contract, we will hurt you when your funding bill comes to our committee." In this day and age, we should have a chance of putting together a group of people to really fight such legislative extortion. This is especially so since so many in the fan base actively hate this game, so we would have at least a few people interested enough to put up a public fight (and legislators hate public fights on this kind of issue--they want to do their extortion in back rooms and in private). Last time they tried this, nobody really cared that much about whether this game was scheduled every year.

When Utah scheduled a future without the yearly BYU rivalry game, the press went into a hypercritical tizzy fit. The Utah/BYU game is a very intense, often visceral, rivalry. BYU wants to validate itself as an exceptional institution and Utah fans hate the arrogant attitude so often displayed by BYU and its fans (ie. No real apology issued by team or school for the Memphis brawl). There are also religious overtones. It's fun. Victory means something more to the teams and both team's fans then just a notch in the Win column. Lately, the local press reaction to the hiatus is 'Meh.' This CU/CSU turmoil fueled by press ignorance will blow over too. RG can then negotiate a more appropriate future CSU 'rivalry' scheduling if, that is, CSU can get an AD to handle the contracting.

CV is absolutely right. This will blow over real quick. In another week, the local press will want to know who the Broncos will pick in the seventh round and this dust up will be forgotten.

I'm indifferent as to whether we play CSU, or where we play them. Having lived in Colorado most of my life and graduated from CU, I just don't give the Rams much thought. Hating CSU, for me, would be like hating Arvada West, Aurora Hinkley, Western State U, or Mesa State U.

Just a heads up though to posters here who think that games at Invesco will die with the CSU series, don't be surprised if the future "home" games with Nebraska are played in Denver. 78,000 is just a significantly larger number than 58,000, and it would likely sell out there. A few of the jabbering local radio heads were already talking about it a few days ago.

Just a heads up though to posters here who think that games at Invesco will die with the CSU series, don't be surprised if the future "home" games with Nebraska are played in Denver. 78,000 is just a significantly larger number than 58,000, and it would likely sell out there. A few of the jabbering local radio heads were already talking about it a few days ago.

Not gonna happen under any circumstance. RG knows better.

He'd be slitting with with a cadre of Boulder-centric fans who have a hard-on for Invesco Field, IMO that's a smaller subset of Buff fans than you might think. And those fans will gripe but aren't going to cancel their season tickets over it. It's a ways off - just passing along some local buzz.

preach.jpg

[tweet]564178514900172802[/tweet]

I like how Jizzla compares the RMS rivalry to Auburn/Alabama and USC/UCLA. He said the RMS has been played more times than those rivalries and, in not as many words, just as relevant. He's such a basic mother ****er that he throws that out there as his argument, all the while, failing to mention that all 4 of those teams are P5 teams and both conference rivalries. He's the queen of forming the argument to fit his narrative and then blocking/not responding to anything that challenges it.

Tsarbamba's post analyzing the legal grounds of a statehouse bill to force a RMS is getting dangerously close to Baylor territory. It's a good thing CSU has a better Fibers program than law school.

As to PAHI's gossip, there is no way Nebraska is at Sports Authority so long as CU is under contract with the CSU series.

Series record
CU CSU 62-22-2 Buffs
Bama Auburn 43-35-1 Tide
USC UCLA 44-31-7 Trojans

Tsarbamba's post analyzing the legal grounds of a statehouse bill to force a RMS is getting dangerously close to Baylor territory. It's a good thing CSU has a better Fibers program than law school.

As to PAHI's gossip, there is no way Nebraska is at Sports Authority so long as CU is under contract with the CSU series.

on point 1-- tsarbomba is on top of it. i believe that they couldn't get the votes to pass a bill, but they could threaten appropriations as he notes. that's what they did before to get it restarted when Mac didn't want the game. and what gov. richards did when the b12 was formed (don't leave baylor and tech behind).

on point 2-- i have heard this from folks outside colorado. the fuskers view the state of colorado as "their" territory and they want a game at invesco every year. we do have to be careful here-- it would be after the current deal expires i would guess. that would suck.

I'm indifferent as to whether we play CSU, or where we play them. Having lived in Colorado most of my life and graduated from CU, I just don't give the Rams much thought. Hating CSU, for me, would be like hating Arvada West, Aurora Hinkley, Western State U, or Mesa State U.

Zero chance of that happening

on point 1-- tsarbomba is on top of it. i believe that they couldn't get the votes to pass a bill, but they could threaten appropriations as he notes. that's what they did before to get it restarted when Mac didn't want the game. and what gov. richards did when the b12 was formed (don't leave baylor and tech behind).

on point 2-- i have heard this from folks outside colorado. the fuskers view the state of colorado as "their" territory and they want a game at invesco every year. we do have to be careful here-- it would be after the current deal expires i would guess. that would suck.

Us playing Nebraska at Sports Authority isn't gonna happen-Mike Bohn got them to come to Folsom. As a far superior businessman, Rick knows better.

The problem with CU playing any neutral site games is scheduling.

In odd years, the Buffs play 4 Pac-12 home games.

In even years, the Buffs play 5 Pac-12 home games.

Therefore, for a basic home schedule we need to find a way to add 2 Folsom games in odd years and 1 Folsom game in even years out of the 3 open dates.

Here's the challenge:

1) CU fans want to play good opponents. It's a historical legacy of the program and also necessary to draw fans to Folsom.

2) Good opponents will not give a one-off to Folsom or schedule a 2-for-1.

So, looking at the CU schedule over a 6-year period, RG has to do the following (assuming CU is going to play Houston/CSU/Fresno State level opponents or better for each of the non-con games):

OPPONENTYEAR 1YEAR 2YEAR 3YEAR 4YEAR 5YEAR 6
TEAM 1HomeAwayn/an/an/an/a
TEAM 2HomeAwayn/an/an/an/a
TEAM 3AwayHomen/an/an/an/a
TEAM 4n/an/aHomeAwayn/an/a
TEAM 5n/an/aHomeAwayn/an/a
TEAM 6n/an/aAwayHomen/an/a
TEAM 7n/an/an/an/aHomeAway
TEAM 8n/an/an/an/aHomeAway
TEAM 9n/an/an/an/aAwayHome
* YEARs 1, 3 & 5 have 4 Pac-12 home games & need 2 non-con home games
** YEARs 2, 4 & 6 have 5 Pac-12 home games & need 1 non-con home games

What RG said to CSU is that if the Rams would move the odd year game to Folsom, then CU could continue the series. It would make it so that CU had the following setup, which fixes 10 opponents per year (9 Pac-12 + CSU) with 5 at home and 5 away, leaving 2 non-con dates (1 home & 1 away):

CSUHomeAwayHomeAwayHomeAway
TEAM 2AwayHomen/an/an/an/a
TEAM 3n/an/aHomeAwayn/an/a
TEAM 4n/an/aAwayHomen/an/a
TEAM 5n/an/an/an/aHomeAway
TEAM 6n/an/an/an/aAwayHome

That's pretty clean. It may meet with mixed reaction from fans, since some like to play CSU as an in-state rivalry game every season and some would prefer more variety to CU's scheduling.

However, let's compare that to where CU is with a neutral site game against CSU. This forces CU to find 2 Folsom games in odd years and 1 Folsom + 1 Away in even years. With this, we introduce FCS one-offs to get to 5 home games every season as the baseline, leaving 1 open date (home needed in odd years / away needed in even years):

CSUNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutralNeutral
FCS 1Homen/an/an/an/an/a
FCS 2n/aHomen/an/an/an/a
FCS 3n/an/aHomen/an/an/a
FCS 4n/an/an/aHomen/an/a
FCS 5n/an/an/an/aHomen/a
FCS 6n/an/an/an/an/aHome
TEAM 2n/an/aHomeAwayn/an/a
TEAM 3n/an/an/an/aHomeAway

A bit more complex, but CU could eliminate the FCS opponents or good opponents (or some mix of each) by scheduling cupcake G5 teams on 2-for-1 schedules.

Looking at the above, this is why Mike Bohn said he never would have signed the 10-year RMS extension if he had known at the time that CU would be moving to a 9-game conference schedule. Buff fans want variety and we want to play interesting opponents. Playing CSU every year at a neutral site makes it impossible for CU to achieve those objectives with its schedule. This is the point that RG is trying to make and either the local media is too dense to figure it out or, more likely, they're not interested enough to really examine the issue. It's easier to say "we want our Invesco RMS and if CU doesn't give it to us then we'll call CU scared and arrogant." Except for Woelk, who gets it.

Money talks.

Sports authority seats about 23,000 more than Folsom. Other side is that in Boulder cu doesn't have to pay for the stadium, keeps all the parking and concessions profit, makes the season ticket holders happier as well as those paying for advertising at Folsom. Also a lot of the local businesses are financial supporters of the program.

The gross will easily be bigger in Denver but the net is what matters and that is a different answer.

i guess i wasn't clear. i don't believe the fuskers are looking to play CU every year at invesco. i believe the fuskers are interested in playing a game every year at invesco, probably one of their patsies. that is what would suck: if the fuskers are playing annually at invesco in an effort to "claim" the market.

i guess i wasn't clear. i don't believe the fuskers are looking to play CU every year at invesco. i believe the fuskers are interested in playing a game every year at invesco, probably one of their patsies. that is what would suck: if the fuskers are playing annually at invesco in an effort to "claim" the market.

That can't be right. Lincoln is so classy and their concrete bunker of a [strike]mausoleum[/strike] stadium always sells out.

Was Plati working for the Rockies at the time Kiszla got banned from their locker room for illegally going through Dante Bichette's locker and personal bags?

I think there may be a long-standing feud between them.

No, Plati worked for the Rocky only when he was in college (that would have been early 1980s). I'm nearly certain that Plati (a graduate of the Journalism school at CU/Boulder) was an intern in the athletic dept and worked his way up to where he is today. I do not think he worked for the Rocky or the Denver Post at any time, post graduation. CU's "Contributing Editor" B.G. Brooks is a former Rocky Mountain News reporter; not Plati. CU hired Brooks in 2009, shortly after the RMN paper folded.

From the CU website (Plati's bio
):
David Plati is in 31st year as the athletic department's director of sports information, and his 37th year overall in CU's Sports Information Office. He was promoted to assistant athletic director for media relations on July 1, 1988, and attained associate athletic director status in August 2005.

No, Plati worked for the Rocky only when he was in college (that would have been early 1980s). I'm nearly certain that Plati (a graduate of the Journalism school at CU/Boulder) was an intern in the athletic dept and worked his way up to where he is today. I do not think he worked for the Rocky or the Denver Post at any time, post graduation. CU's "Contributing Editor" B.G. Brooks is a former Rocky Mountain News reporter; not Plati. CU hired Brooks in 2009, shortly after the RMN paper folded.

From the CU website (Plati's bio
):

I meant the Rockies baseball team, not the Rocky Mountain News. From the bio, it looks like he didn't become a scorer for them until 2004.

Back