What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S BBall hosting ASU (Thurs., 2/8/24; 6:00 PM MT; FS1) and #8 Arizona (Saturday, 8:00 PM MT; ESPN)

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Bat-Hadley! More stressful than it perhaps should've been, but a win. Clean things up and get healthy, as season may be on the line Saturday. I don't think the Buffs are going to shoot 29 free throws on Saturday.

Horrible day at work. Leave just in time for the game. Thinking about getting drunk the whole way into Boulder. Get inside the CUEC and plan to get two Banquets when I realized..."wtf, man. You can't afford to get drunk on $14 beers"

Horrible day at work. Leave just in time for the game. Thinking about getting drunk the whole way into Boulder. Get inside the CUEC and plan to get two Banquets when I realized..."wtf, man. You can't afford to get drunk on $14 beers"
Yes you can. Your priorities are misplaced. The moment is too important to spend money on trifles such as housing, food, etc. Lisa doesn't, in fact, need braces.

I'm sure this has been helpful.

6:00 starts are for chumps.
Fans wail and gnash their teeth over late starts and then don't show for a 6pm tip.

I understand Colorado sports fans like the pros, but I'd think the draw of the projected #1 draft pick would get them out.

Utah win would put us 1 game out of 1st in the Pac.
As long as we have a bye in the conference tournament.

We need the quality win that Arizona would be more than anything. Beating them even at home gets us well off the bubble.

Tonight played out about as perfectly as it could have. We beat ASU by double digits, and Arizona needed three overtimes to get out of Salt Lake with a win. They have to be exhausted. Go ****ing kick their asses on Saturday night.

****ing a Tad, CALL A GOD DAMN TIME OUT
Took 3 of them to halftime
Watched ASU drain Three 3’s in a row, no timeout
Then typical anger at the guys
WTF is wrong with controlling and managing a lead in the first half?
Lampkin is a Turnover machine.
We played good, hit shots and got a nice win, but can we be killers every minute. Offense, Defense, and COACHING

Media after last night's victory:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/2/8/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-asu

"

Buffs Hold Off ASU To Improve To 13-0 At Home​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

BOULDER
— Colorado's J'Vonne Hadley recorded his first career double-double and the Buffaloes held off Arizona State down the stretch Thursday to collect an 82-70 win at the CU Events Center, giving the Buffs a program-record 13-0 home mark.

Tad Boyle's Buffs improved to 16-7 overall and 7-5 in Pac-12 play. The Sun Devils lost their fifth in a row to fall to 11-12, 5-7.

Hadley finished with 19 points and 11 rebounds, including a huge 3-pointer in the final minutes. KJ Simpson had 17 points and eight assists, Tristan da Silva scored 15 and Cody Williams tallied 11.

Frankie Collins led ASU with 18.

The Buffs led by as much as 18 in the first half, by nine at intermission and by 16 early in the second half. But the Sun Devils refused to go away and cut Colorado's edge to just five, 73-68, with 2:13 to play.

But Hadley, who had a three-point play a minute earlier, drained a long 3-pointer just before the shot clock buzzer to put the Buffs back up by eight, 76-68, with 1:35 to play.

Colorado then hit six free throws in the final 1:28 to salt away the win.

The Buffs shot 24-for-51 (47.1 percent) while ASU was 27-for-61 (44.3 percent) from the floor. Colorado also held a 37-29 edge on the boards.

But the big difference came at the free throw line. CU hit 26 of its 29 attempts from the stripe while ASU shot 9-for-14.

"Winning a game in February is like finding gold," Boyle said. "ASU has a competitive coach and competitive players. I thought we could have blown it open in the second half when we got up 16, but they came back. Competitive teams are going to do that. But our guys did what they had to do."

DECISIVE MOMENT: The Buffs had several opportunities to put the Sun Devils away but never managed to completely pull away until the final minutes. Hadley's 3-pointer with 1:35 to play gave CU an eight-point lead, forcing the Sun Devils to foul and Colorado hit six straight free throws down the stretch for the win.

WHAT IT MEANS: No CU men's team has ever won its first 13 home games of a season. Colorado is now tied for fourth in the Pac-12 standings, one game out of second place and two back of league-leading Arizona, which visits the Events Center on Saturday.

KEY STATISTIC: CU hit 26 of its 29 attempts from the free throw line while ASU shot 9-for-14.

NEXT UP: The Buffs wrap up their homestand Saturday with an 8 p.m. game against No. 8 Arizona at the CU Events Center (ESPN). CU then hits the road for a pair, beginning with Thursday's 7 p.m. matchup at UCLA (ESPN), followed by an 8 p.m. game at USC on Saturday (Feb. 17, ESPN).
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/arizona-state/boxscore/16611

Quotes - https://cubuffs.com/sports/2024/2/9/colorado-arizona-state-quotes

If a team has lost composure (maybe not adjusting to a change in the opponent's defense or an offensive play), has poor body language/ passive play, and/or stopped following game plan I am in favor of a timeout.

If they're playing the game but missing shots, seeing tough makes from the opponent, and/or momentum has swung to the opponent then I don't think timeouts are beneficial & the coach should let the team play through it.

Save the timeouts for when they have impact - like in my 1st paragraph, to set a play or defense in crunch time, and sometimes just because it's gone too long without a stoppage and you need to get someone a blow.

I have gotten the impression that you like it when coaches micromanage to the point of calling a TO if the opponent makes a play that gets their crowd engaged or if there's something like an 0-6 run.
Which if you track the amount of those runs in a basketball game we’d be out of timeouts by the 12 minute mark of the first half every game

I think 5-6 possessions both ways is enough - so yes, a 6-0 run could / should trigger one.

It's also team based. On a team with true actual on court leadership (see: Kin, Evan) - you can go longer. With this team? **** no.

How many times this uear have we watched a 6-9 pt lead turned into a 5, 6,8 pt deficit, and then played then entire rest of the game trying desperately to make little runs to gwt within 2-3, only to let it bleed back up?

What if, and I'm just spitballing here, we didn't let those 10-14 pt runs happen, and didn't have to play from behind for 2/3 of the game?

Its like Tad has a martyr syndrome or something. He HATES having large leads in games
Of note, we have the same number of "kill shots" (10-0 runs) conceded this year as Providence and Florida Atlantic. It's basketball, teams go on runs. It's college basketball, leads are more hyperbolic. What you're complaining about is not a uniquely Colorado issue.

We watched a guy who is shooting 24.5% on 110 attempts (not a typo) from deep hit back-to-back 3s as part of that 1st half run. Believe me, we were playing to the scouting report in giving him space 4-feet behind the arc. Good on him for doing something he hasn't done all year. ASU is schizo, capable of weird, chaotic stuff, but ultimately fatally flawed -- that's what we saw last night.

Oregon, at home, nearly collapsed yesterday, building a 20-point lead in the 2nd before immediately watching UW cut it to 1. It happens. They still won, too.

I can count the number of times this season that I would've called a timeout, but Tad didn't, on one hand. Your obsession with this is weird, in context, understanding, and in the light of evidence.

Of note, we have the same number of "kill shots" (10-0 runs) conceded this year as Providence and Florida Atlantic. It's basketball, teams go on runs. It's college basketball, leads are more hyperbolic. ...
I know what a geometric hyperbola is and I know what linguistic hyperbole is... I'm not clear how you're using the term here.

I know what a geometric hyperbola is and I know what linguistic hyperbole is... I'm not clear how you're using the term here.
Exaggerated. Not as extreme as they are presented & perceived.

For example, a 10 point lead with 10 minutes left in the game is healthy & advantageous but there's almost certainly a run coming and a need to respond.

Media after last night's victory:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/2/8/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-asu

"

Buffs Hold Off ASU To Improve To 13-0 At Home​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

BOULDER
— Colorado's J'Vonne Hadley recorded his first career double-double and the Buffaloes held off Arizona State down the stretch Thursday to collect an 82-70 win at the CU Events Center, giving the Buffs a program-record 13-0 home mark.

Tad Boyle's Buffs improved to 16-7 overall and 7-5 in Pac-12 play. The Sun Devils lost their fifth in a row to fall to 11-12, 5-7.

Hadley finished with 19 points and 11 rebounds, including a huge 3-pointer in the final minutes. KJ Simpson had 17 points and eight assists, Tristan da Silva scored 15 and Cody Williams tallied 11.

Frankie Collins led ASU with 18.

The Buffs led by as much as 18 in the first half, by nine at intermission and by 16 early in the second half. But the Sun Devils refused to go away and cut Colorado's edge to just five, 73-68, with 2:13 to play.

But Hadley, who had a three-point play a minute earlier, drained a long 3-pointer just before the shot clock buzzer to put the Buffs back up by eight, 76-68, with 1:35 to play.

Colorado then hit six free throws in the final 1:28 to salt away the win.

The Buffs shot 24-for-51 (47.1 percent) while ASU was 27-for-61 (44.3 percent) from the floor. Colorado also held a 37-29 edge on the boards.

But the big difference came at the free throw line. CU hit 26 of its 29 attempts from the stripe while ASU shot 9-for-14.

"Winning a game in February is like finding gold," Boyle said. "ASU has a competitive coach and competitive players. I thought we could have blown it open in the second half when we got up 16, but they came back. Competitive teams are going to do that. But our guys did what they had to do."

DECISIVE MOMENT: The Buffs had several opportunities to put the Sun Devils away but never managed to completely pull away until the final minutes. Hadley's 3-pointer with 1:35 to play gave CU an eight-point lead, forcing the Sun Devils to foul and Colorado hit six straight free throws down the stretch for the win.

WHAT IT MEANS: No CU men's team has ever won its first 13 home games of a season. Colorado is now tied for fourth in the Pac-12 standings, one game out of second place and two back of league-leading Arizona, which visits the Events Center on Saturday.

KEY STATISTIC: CU hit 26 of its 29 attempts from the free throw line while ASU shot 9-for-14.

NEXT UP: The Buffs wrap up their homestand Saturday with an 8 p.m. game against No. 8 Arizona at the CU Events Center (ESPN). CU then hits the road for a pair, beginning with Thursday's 7 p.m. matchup at UCLA (ESPN), followed by an 8 p.m. game at USC on Saturday (Feb. 17, ESPN).
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/arizona-state/boxscore/16611

Quotes - https://cubuffs.com/sports/2024/2/9/colorado-arizona-state-quotes

Just some random observations from last night:
- I'd be scared to see where our record would be if Hadley hadn't really upped his game this year.
- Lampkin has gotten careless with the ball of late. He needs to slow down his game and not try to make the spectacular play every time.
- To that point, when we get stagnant later in games it's when we try to force the offense through him after the other team has adjusted to it.
- In those cases the only two players who should be controlling the offense should be KJ and Cody. I was confused why Tad had Hammond running things for about a 4 minute stretch in the 2nd half.
- TDS needs to get tougher and get in the mix more. He's not driving or crashing as much which leaves Lampkin battling alone. It was great to see Cody really get active on the boards in the 2nd half.
- Teams are targeting Hammond on defense with better athletes and to take advantage of his laziness playing through screens and sticking to his man. He also needs to stop picking up his dribble without having a next action option.
- We are a team that can be be bullied. Not liking that.
- Tad has zero trust in Dak and Diop and you can tell they feel it in how they play. At least he addressed that he needs to play more players in his post game. The 6 man rotation last night might have us as tired as UofA tomorrow.
- Last but not least, not feeling overly confident for tomorrow night based on last night's play, injury situation and how we match up. Here's hoping they are spent from 3OTs and travel and the crowd is lit.

oh, and I didn't recognize Ruffin with the cornrows. I asked the dude next to me with a roster "whose number 11?"

Just some random observations from last night:
- I'd be scared to see where our record would be if Hadley hadn't really upped his game this year.
- Lampkin has gotten careless with the ball of late. He needs to slow down his game and not try to make the spectacular play every time.
- To that point, when we get stagnant later in games it's when we try to force the offense through him after the other team has adjusted to it.
- In those cases the only two players who should be controlling the offense should be KJ and Cody. I was confused why Tad had Hammond running things for about a 4 minute stretch in the 2nd half.
- TDS needs to get tougher and get in the mix more. He's not driving or crashing as much which leaves Lampkin battling alone. It was great to see Cody really get active on the boards in the 2nd half.
- Teams are targeting Hammond on defense with better athletes and to take advantage of his laziness playing through screens and sticking to his man. He also needs to stop picking up his dribble without having a next action option.
- We are a team that can be be bullied. Not liking that.
- Tad has zero trust in Dak and Diop and you can tell they feel it in how they play. At least he addressed that he needs to play more players in his post game. The 6 man rotation last night might have us as tired as UofA tomorrow.
- Last but not least, not feeling overly confident for tomorrow night based on last night's play, injury situation and how we match up. Here's hoping they are spent from 3OTs and travel and the crowd is lit.
and an overall impressive job by the team in getting fouled and not fouling

Back