What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S BBall opens season hosting Towson (Monday, 11/6/23; 5:30 PM MT; Pac 12 Network) & Grambling St. (Friday, 6:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Mtn.)

Media after tonight's victory:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/6/mens-basketball-boyles-buffs-roll-past-towson-in-opener.aspx

"
Game Recap: Men's Basketball | November 06, 2023 | Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

Boyle's Buffs Roll Past Towson In Opener​

BOULDER — Colorado's defense set the tone in the first half and the Buffaloes' offense came alive in the second Monday as CU rolled to a 75-57 win over Towson in the season opener at the CU Events Center.

The Buffs led by four at the half but exploded with a 17-1 run to open the second half and Towson never threatened again, as CU pushed its lead to as much as 28 down the stretch.

Colorado improved to 14-0 in home openers in the Tad Boyle era.

KJ Simpson led the Buffs with 22 points and Tristan da Silva added 13, all in the second half. J'Vonne Hadley added 13 points and a game-high nine rebounds and Luke O'Brien had seven points and seven boards.

Dylan Williamson led Towson with 15 points.

Colorado shot 52 percent from the floor, including 8-for-17 from 3-point range. The Buffs missed all seven attempts from beyond the arc in the first half but then hit eight in a row in the second half to build their lead.

CU held the Tigers to 35 percent shooting and had a 38-26 edge on the boards. The Buffs are now 85-6 under Boyle when holding an opponent to 40 percent or less shooting and having at least a plus-8 rebounding edge.

Colorado finished with 21 assists on 26 baskets, with the only downside of the night 16 turnovers.

"That was a good first game," Boyle said. "A tale of two halves, obviously. I thought we fought adversity in the first half offensively and came out in the second half and figured things out a little bit. I was really proud of our defensive effort that first 20 minutes. We really guarded at a high, high level and we did that pretty much the whole game. I'm really happy with this team's defense and rebounding."

TURNING POINT: After Towson cut Colorado's lead to four at the end of the first half, the Buffs responded by going on a 12-0 run to open the second half and the Tigers were never within single digits again.

WHAT IT MEANS: Colorado is now 12-2 in season openers under Boyle and 14-0 in home openers during his tenure.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs held Towson to 35 percent shooting (19-for-54) and held a 38-26 rebound edge … CU shot 52 percent from the floor (26-for-50), including 8-for-17 from 3-point range … Colorado had 21 assists and no Buff took more than nine shots.

NEXT UP: The Buffs return to action Friday when they play host to Grambling State in a 6 p.m. game at the CU Events Center (Pac-12 Mountain).
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/towson/boxscore/16548

I haven't listened to the DNVR Buffs podcast in a week or so. Are they covering hoops yet?

KJ looks stronger, like he's filled out his frame. Looks like an upperclassman. That is a big deal, because the way teams defended him was to be physical since few guys can deal with his quickness. If he doesn't wear down while also finishing stronger through contact, there's no stopping him.

I thought Hurlburt actually looked the part physically, but the positives stopped there in his 60 seconds of PT. I feel it's disingenuous to call him a big miss, you need guys like him to fill out a squad and he's a RS Freshman who played prep in a Dakota.

Diop has IT. his court awareness and aggressiveness is something we've often lacked, hope it rubs off on Cody a bit

AD still treating basketball like second class citizens. Every aspect so far from traffic flow getting in to food and beverage, is as if the school was caught by surprise that the season starts tonight. WTAF?
Wait til you hear that there will be no band for the game Friday night, and only for the 1st half Sunday for the women's game, due to schedule conflicts.

Loved his size and seems to fir the Tad "Eli Parquet" mold. Wish he could shoot
Not going to judge his shooting after 1 game. Early minutes can be deceptive since they're acclimating and thinking too much. I'm sure we all remember TDS's freshman year when everyone was questioning why he was getting minutes and wondering what Tad saw in him.

Not going to judge his shooting after 1 game. Early minutes can be deceptive since they're acclimating and thinking too much. I'm sure we all remember TDS's freshman year when everyone was questioning why he was getting minutes and wondering what Tad saw in him.
He wasn't a defensive liability and was a willing passer. Physically belonged. Shot wasn't ugly or hesitant. Poised for his first minutes. Decent size. Looks like a high floor four year player.

Wait til you hear that there will be no band for the game Friday night, and only for the 1st half Sunday for the women's game, due to schedule conflicts.

I know that lack of institutional support has been a consistent AllBuffs narrative since RG was hired as AD. do you know of any breakdowns on $s spent, % of social media or traditional media coverage from the AD, number of promotional events, etc?

I've seen a few billboards in Denver, but it still amazes me how poorly attended the games are. admittedly, I try to watch every game but don't really feel that excited about making a trip to the CEC on a weeknight, not sure why and I know it minimizes my fandom

I know that lack of institutional support has been a consistent AllBuffs narrative since RG was hired as AD. do you know of any breakdowns on $s spent, % of social media or traditional media coverage from the AD, number of promotional events, etc?

I've seen a few billboards in Denver, but it still amazes me how poorly attended the games are. admittedly, I try to watch every game but don't really feel that excited about making a trip to the CEC on a weeknight, not sure why and I know it minimizes my fandom
Check out pages 50 and 51 in the following:

Our marketing expenses have been slashed over the last decade (FY '22 impacted by COVID, to be sure). The numbers are not broken down by sport, however.

Spirit funding (band, Chip, etc) was also down, but I would attribute that more to a Covid era thing.

Check out pages 50 and 51 in the following:

Our marketing expenses have been slashed over the last decade (FY '22 impacted by COVID, to be sure). The numbers are not broken down by sport, however.

Spirit funding (band, Chip, etc) was also down, but I would attribute that more to a Covid era thing.
Almost no support for basketball C-Unit (and little emphasis since rolled in with football to have a single student entity). One of the lowest recruiting budgets in the conference. One of the lower coaching budgets in the conference. One of the lightest staffed court sports groups in the conference. Almost no NIL and direct donor support. Changed in ticket policies which reduced home attendance.

Tried asking at 247, but I missed the Shake Shack details, free burgers today?
Yes if you show your ticket.

Which I'm not sure how we're supposed to do that if we have season tickets because mine has already changed to the next game...

Almost no support for basketball C-Unit (and little emphasis since rolled in with football to have a single student entity). One of the lowest recruiting budgets in the conference. One of the lower coaching budgets in the conference. One of the lightest staffed court sports groups in the conference. Almost no NIL and direct donor support. Changed in ticket policies which reduced home attendance.

maybe if Tad started thanking the lord almighty more at press conferences RG would throw him a few extra bucks

I transferred to CU during the back half of Bohn’s tenure and had season tickets after graduating — the investment in C-Unit and creating excitement around bball was palpable. he seemed to excel at getting juice from lower cost investments. hopefully vibes shift once the Buffs crack the top 25 and we get SS and TH attending during conference play

KJ looks stronger, like he's filled out his frame. Looks like an upperclassman. That is a big deal, because the way teams defended him was to be physical since few guys can deal with his quickness. If he doesn't wear down while also finishing stronger through contact, there's no stopping him.
I can't find it but there was an interview with KJ earlier where he mentioned focusing on gaining some weight this off season to not be pushed around.
Loved his size and seems to fir the Tad "Eli Parquet" mold. Wish he could shoot
FWIW In the pregame Mark Johnson claimed he was a good shooter based on practices

Last edited:
Back