Here's what I believe to be happening

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

No direct sources, so just putting a lot of pieces together and reading the tea leaves.

1. MM is done after this season at CU. He knows it and has known it. His comments in his pressers have made it clear that he is positioning himself for getting hired elsewhere. The narrative he is driving is that he turned around a 2nd program, turning the worst P5 program into a division champ in his 4th year. Then, had the team undefeated and rolling to another title until an unprecedented rash of injuries hit in the 6th year. He's been around long enough to know that you never introduce or validate excuses for losing and he had avoided that until the past week or so. The only reason for doing so is if he's spinning the resume instead of best managing his current team and season.

2. RG knows that it's time for a change and has felt that it was questionable that MM was the coach to get us back to the CU he remembers from the Gee/McCartney years at CU. That's what drives RG -- getting us back to that. He has made his decision and probably made it last year during the end-season collapse, but a reasonable offer to hire MM away did not materialize so they had to roll with it for another season. He's hoping to let this play out so that MM wins another game, improves the narrative on his tenure, and gets hired by someone in order to mitigate the payoff of the contract and free up more money for the next coach and staff. Ideally, MM takes certain coaches with him like Eliot who are paid a lot of money. No big deal with most of the assistants who are making in the lower range of salaries and would likely find jobs for next year anyway. I do think he likes Chev a lot and would love to see him stay (it was him and Lance that pushed for him to be hired in the first place).

3. Whomever the next HC is, I guarantee it will be someone with gravitas who RG believes can take CU football to a championship level. Will be someone who is driven to recruit and to win and will be good with boosters. Someone who doesn't have a lot of time for any of the other distractions of the job (i.e., staff and organizational structure should be able to make sure players stay eligible and APR is maintained - you don't have to worry about recruiting toward that).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. BuffUp

BuffUp GO BUFFS ! Club Member

I totally agree with #1 and #2 - #3 is speculating and I hope is true.

I will add - I would not be surprised if LM has an under the table type offer that RG brought to his attention last season. This might explain why he hasn't been hired anywhere else yet.

darth-horax and Bufffan68 like this.
  3. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think Les has been enjoying his well payed semi-retirement and has been waiting for an intriguing job offer. I personally believe that there are a lot of dots that can be connected that would bring LM back to CU, but I wouldn't be surprised if he continued to wait for "the one" either.

BuffUp likes this.
  4. AeroBuff99

AeroBuff99 Club Member Club Member

I am hoping we pull the upset this week and beat Cal, that is all. Anything that happens after that won't phase me one bit. I will feel a bit for those guys, but they are compensated well so it isn't like they will be hurting. DJ was a very personable guy in my interactions with him and my son this summer and I hope he lands a good gig somewhere. I think he is still young (barely a man, early 40's) and has plenty of time to hone his craft. He just needs the right situation. I think in 10 years he could end up a HC somewhere or a very good, highly paid DC. Chev will probably be retained in some capacity. I think Hagan is done coaching. They might put him back in the AD again as a Director of Player Personnel, focus on keeping kids going to class and being a mentor. The rest of the staff I have no feelings one way or another. Drake and Brown are on the rise and will find other jobs pretty quickly (I wouldn't mind keeping both of them). Ambrose not to sure about. The GA's and interns move on every couple of years also and MM will be able to help them get on with others pretty easily.

I enjoyed the MM era much more than the DH or JE era's. DH was just pathetic seeing him ruin the program. JE you could just tell he was in over his head. MM gave us some hope and provided that one great season. I thank him for stabilizing the program and getting it back into the conversation. I hope whomever hires him understands that they are getting a man who will correct issues and bring a level of stability, but he won't win championships, and that is ok. Sometimes that is what your program needs, a guy to lay the foundation for others to come along and finish.

5. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Ugh-no. Miles is a semi-retired coach with a reputation for bad offense and odd clock management.. He hasn't been hired anywhere because there isn't a lot of interest in his services-not because he's got some under the table offer from Rick George. Come on.

SBP and buffaholic like this.
  6. WarBuff

WarBuff Club Member Club Member

I pray they can keep Katie Bason on staff.

Goose, FChairbanks, Buffskier and 8 others like this.
  7. Ralfie

Ralfie Well-Known Member

I had to google her to figure out who she was...director of football academics?

They can maybe find someone else to do their homework? I’m confused.

8. WarBuff

9. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

Or he hasn't wanted to take any old job that came along.

Bufffan68 likes this.
  10. WasianCU

WasianCU Club Member Club Member

She's done an excellent job of buildling academic plans and keeping the guys on track to graduate. Instrumental for JC players and anyone else who struggles academically.

11. Ralfie

Ralfie Well-Known Member

SuperiorBuff and WarBuff like this.
  12. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I see a lot of confidence in RG but question what we actually know.

Bufffan68 likes this.
  13. CUBuff98

CUBuff98 Club Member Club Member

The kids like her. I hope she stays.

FlatironsBuff likes this.
  14. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

The kids respect here. She is very effective in keeping them where they need to be academically.

She is also somebody that the parents believe in. She has been mentioned by name more than once by the families of kids who commit to CU.

skibum, WarBuff and CUBuff98 like this.
  15. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Need to retain Katie

CUBuff98 likes this.
  16. SerenityBuff

SerenityBuff Club Member Club Member

Bason works for the athletics department, she’s not on the coaching staff. She’ll be fine.

17. WarBuff

My fear is that she might follow coach MM. They came here together. The athletics department would not want to lose her I’m sure.

18. Go Buffs

Go Buffs Where in the hell is Idot Buff? Club Member

If she doesn’t, I have a backup plan.

[​IMG]

Goose, Alfred91, Darth Snow and 2 others like this.
  19. BerkeleyBuff

BerkeleyBuff Well-Known Member

Exactly what I kept thinking as y'all kept talking about Katie. I wasn't too aware of Katie so I just kept thinking of LCU girl as the fill in for my mental picture of what y'all were discussing.

20. Ralfie

Ralfie Well-Known Member

Contract extension for Katie Bason or whatever her name is! Through 2035. Actually I’ll never live past 2025....through 2025 is fine.

21. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

It is telling that our biggest worry about personnel loss if MM is let go, is Katie.

Goose, c502cid, Bread and 14 others like this.
  22. Ralfie

Ralfie Well-Known Member

Maybe she’d be willing to fill in as interim HC? HCKB?

WarBuff likes this.
  23. SDB

SDB Whiny Bitch

RG gave the dreaded "no final decisions have been made" commentary..."we are always reviewing all 17 sports" nonsense. I bet RG told MM that unless a miracle occurs...he is gone at the end of the year. Of course MM is not going to publicly announce he is toast. If Buffs win two convincingly....then who knows....

24. AllStarBuffs

AllStarBuffs Well-Known Member

MM to Kansas?

skibum and Bufffan68 like this.
  25. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

KU gets Mac for rebuild, we get Beaty and Meacham, CU throws in a player to be named later and Bernardi. Seems alright

J.R. Ewing and Goose like this.
  26. bpc5180

bpc5180 Well-Known Member

I haven't even dug into the LSU but Miles isn't a bad offensive coach. Let's throw out LSU which had tremendous success when he was there. At OK State, Miles had the 11th, 14th and 17th rated offenses in the country his last 3 years there.

27. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Cameron#Return_to_college

Yes he is. Here's a quote from Cam Cameron's wikipedia page-"LSU was 77th in total offense in 2012, 57th in 2011, 81st in 2010, and 102nd in 2009, and 51st in 2008."

28. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

probably says more about Mike Gundy, doesn't it? pretty sure he was Les' OC. that O production stayed in Stillwater and didn't travel to Bation Rouge....

jayschool and BerkeleyBuff like this.
  29. Bill Cody

Bill Cody Club Member Club Member

I think that it would be a reach for them to have this strong of an understanding (or at least I hope they don't, as I would want RG to do a healthy search for the BEST candidate when hiring a coach rather than having a predetermined decision made), but it isn't out of the question. LM was in Boulder visiting with RG a couple of summers ago.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  30. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member

Here is what I think is happening. RG has not made a decision, yet. He is probably thinking about it but is letting the season play out. IMO, honorable people do not go on a search while the position is still filled - there is no back door search going on. MacIntyre wins the next two games and he very well could still have the job next year.

I am sure that RG is considering the options and the pluses and minuses of each. Once a decision has been made they will not wait around to announce it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.