What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvement

One thing that has masked the defense this year is the offense has enjoyed a big advantage in time of possession which has lowered the snaps the defense is on the field - so far this year they are averaging 69 snaps per game...whereas last year they were on the field for 77 snaps a game. Eight snaps at ~6 yards per play is almost a 50 yard per game differential. I am worried this will change going forward since the defenses we will face in the second half of the season are much tougher than what we have seen in the first half meaning the offense may not be able to maintain possession enough to keep the defense off the field.

Honestly, I hate to keep saying it but I really think we've got to find a solution in our front 7, on D. I truly believe it is holding this entire team back from taking that huge step forward. I have a little more hope that our Dline can make that step forward next year. Our line-backing crew is in total disarray. Having Gillam back next year healthy and bigger will help. We've got to find help here or I don't see much of a change on D. Saying that, though, I really believe our secondary could be scary good with a healthy Bell back in 2015. Can we run a 4-1-6?

MacIntyre compliments KO on his development at WILL on pretty much a weekly basis.

I think he's probably playing better and improving at a faster rate than most of us realize.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the conventional wisdom on KO has taken a turn similar to where it went with Nembot... and Nembot has been either our best (or 2nd best behind Munyer) OL this season.

Sometimes it pays to be a bit more patient than we are, especially when we're talking about two true sophs starting as our ILBs this season. They could make a huge jump in 2015 and probably will.

MacIntyre compliments KO on his development at WILL on pretty much a weekly basis.

I think he's probably playing better and improving at a faster rate than most of us realize.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the conventional wisdom on KO has taken a turn similar to where it went with Nembot... and Nembot has been either our best (or 2nd best behind Munyer) OL this season.

Sometimes it pays to be a bit more patient than we are, especially when we're talking about two true sophs starting as our ILBs this season. They could make a huge jump in 2015 and probably will.
Yeah, that's my point. Our hope is two young players take that next step next year. I'm not too worried about Gillam if he can get healthier and gain some size. KO seems to have some athleticism but I guess we shall see. It's critical that we take a huge step forward here, next year.

We are painfully thin at LB this year and will be again next year. Considering his injuries Gillam should have been sitting a lot more this year but we didn't have any options since Daigh doesn't have the speed and quickness to play pass defense against PAC talent. KO also probably would have been helped a lot to do some sitting to watch and learn and adjust. Hasn't been an option.

I hope you are right and KO makes a big step forward. He does at least have the raw physical talent to grow into.

I am waiting to see Watanabe next year. If he is healthy this spring and gets a spring training in he could be a guy who provides some real depth at ILB. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get some playing time as a true Fr. at Mike and let a healthy Gillam slide over on some plays to Sam, a position where he would have more open space to work in.

All speculation at this point but we can hope.

Also if our very young DEs can get both bigger and stronger and with experience be better at keeping OLmen off the backers we could see some notable improvement in our run defense.

First, I have to say Dave Plati is a phenomenal SID. The amount of information and organization is better than any other team and looks more professional as well. Here is what I got:

2013 CU By Half: 191 & 179
2013 Opponent By Half: 271 & 186

2014 CU By Half: 251 & 219
2014 Opponent By Half: 192 & 222

So the Buffs are giving up 80 yds less in the 1st half and 36 yds more in the 2nd half. Not a surprising stat to see 2nd half stats like that, especially considering what CSU, Cal and Oregon State did. That has been the difference. We have sputtered in every game we had a legitimate shot in. That has been the difference in those 3 losses. Buffs offense, while improved, needs to not get outgained by 80-100 yards in the 2nd half. Buffs have had a lot of stalled drives in second half that have killed momentum. Difference between 4-2 or 5-1 and 2-4!

We're giving up more yards in the 2nd half this year because the games are competitive at halftime. We were so far out of the games the the prior 3 years that the opposing coaches were suiting up their ****ing dance teams for the second half just to keep the carnage down.

We're giving up more yards in the 2nd half this year because the games are competitive at halftime. We were so far out of the games the the prior 3 years that the opposing coaches were suiting up their ****ing dance teams for the second half just to keep the carnage down.

that was my point, back a few posts. The yardage in the first half has improved by nearly 100 yards. Even better than Duff's estimated 50 yards due to TOP.

And if he does not, good luck. Because the coaches are all-in on him being a difference maker at LB.

Improvement from 2012 to 2014
3 Yr Diff
CU F/+95.0%
Opp F/+54.7%
1st Q Dif94.6%
2nd Q Diff141.3%
3rd Q Diff27.6%
4th Q Diff10.3%
Avg Diff83.1%
72.4%

Improvement from 2013 to 2014
2 Yr Diff
CU F/+87.8%
Opp F/+-33.9%
1st Q Dif93.0%
2nd Q Diff156.3%
3rd Q Diff43.2%
4th Q Diff-219.8%
Avg Diff74.3%
28.7%

Both are based off of point differential for each quarter, not the cumulative score difference.

Man, that 4th quarter differential is so revealing of just how bad games were. very few 4th quarters were played with the game in balance.

Man, that 4th quarter differential is so revealing of just how bad games were. very few 4th quarters were played with the game in balance.
And despite how bad we were in 2012, we still managed to get out scored by an average of 4.3 points in the 4th quarter. Our starters were getting out scored by 2nd and 3rd stringers :wow:

two things I keep hearing: many keep mentioning 2015 as the year expectations go up. many seem to judge HCMM and the team almost solely by win's and losses.

when I keep reading those two thoughts, my next thought is always "man, that 2015 conference schedule is a bi**h!"

I love the improvement discussion, but it has to start showing up in the win column. As has been pointed out, we have lost to 2 teams that we beat last year and one to the teams we beat is ranked as the worst team in the country by some. We definitely have more talent than CSU but I feel our team was out coached and as Duff pointed out our rush defense let us down in that game.

The zealots on this board can make the case about improvement but if CU is 2-10 at the end of the season then the average fan in the street is not going to care and basically we are not moving the needle.

I will have to say after following CU football for over 5 decades I do not think I have ever seen a coach get such a pass from fans as MacIntyre has received. I definitely think this staff has to start being held to a higher standard.
This program hasn't been as low since right before Coach Mac took over. That coach got an extension after a 1-10 season. Are you sure you do not have a selective memory?

This program hasn't been as low since right before Coach Mac took over. That coach got an extension after a 1-10 season. Are you sure you do not have a selective memory?

A selective memory regarding what...

I would say that when Sonny Grandeliss got canned was by far the lowest point I have every seen with the Buffs...it was horrible. Every coach since then has been under fire early on including McCartney. I would say Hawkins and MacIntyre had the longest honeymoons of any coaches since then.

two things I keep hearing: many keep mentioning 2015 as the year expectations go up. many seem to judge HCMM and the team almost solely by win's and losses.

when I keep reading those two thoughts, my next thought is always "man, that 2015 conference schedule is a bi**h!"
This reminds me a lot of the 2009 season. We had some major injures in 2008 and I remember thinking 2009 would be the year we turned it around. In fact this whole site thought the same thing. No reason we shouldn't have as well. Well, Juice Box ruined that dream. Mac, please don't be Juice box.

Last edited:
Think you mean 2009. 2008 we had a ton of injuries and Alex Henry hit that 57 yarder to finish us at 5-7. Then 2009 was losing to CSU and Toledo where the train flew off the tracks. 2010 was another 5-7 year with Cabral closing the season out 2-1

From phone

Think you mean 2009. 2008 we had a ton of injuries and Alex Henry hit that 57 yarder to finish us at 5-7. Then 2009 was losing to CSU and Toledo where the train flew off the tracks. 2010 was another 5-7 year with Cabral closing the season out 2-1

From phone
Doh. Yep. Rep and changed

Would you keep or fire these coaches?

6 coaching records are up for consideration:

CoachYear 1Year 2Year 3
Coach A4-84-8
Coach B3-82-9
Coach C4-85-7
Coach D2-106-7
Coach E2-8-14-7
Coach F5-64-7

Judging only on win/loss progression, here's what should probably happen to these coaches:

ActionCoach
Fire them nowCoach B
Coach F
Wait and seeCoach A
Coach C
Coach E
Extend their contractCoach D

For some crazy reason, all of these coaches' ADs gave them a 3rd season, so here's what happened:

CoachYear 1Year 2Year 3
Coach A4-84-87-6
Coach B3-82-93-7-1
Coach C4-85-73-9
Coach D2-106-75-7
Coach E2-8-14-71-10
Coach F5-64-78-4

So, here's our new fire, wait, extend matrix after year 3:

ActionCoach
Fire them nowCoach B
Coach C
Coach E
Wait and seeCoach D
Extend their contractCoach A
Coach F

Oh wait, you want to know who you just decided to fire or keep after season 2 or 3?

[hide]

CoachResult after Y2Result after Y3
Art Briles - BaylorWaitExtend
Gary Barnett - NorthwesternFireFire
David Cutcliffe - DukeWaitFire
Dan Hawkins - ColoradoExtendWait
Bill McCartney - ColoradoWaitFire
Hayden Fry - IowaFireExtend

[/hide]

Given that list of six coaches, do you really want the only ones to make it to year four to be Art Briles and Dan Hawkins? Or, do you think that maybe we need to look at something other than win/loss to measure progress for the first few years of a rebuild?

And if he does not, good luck. Because the coaches are all-in on him being a difference maker at LB.

Would you bring in some JUCO depth this year? I don't know what else to do to quickly patch things up.

Would you keep or fire these coaches?

6 coaching records are up for consideration:

CoachYear 1Year 2Year 3
Coach A4-84-8
Coach B3-82-9
Coach C4-85-7
Coach D2-106-7
Coach E2-8-14-7
Coach F5-64-7

Judging only on win/loss progression, here's what should probably happen to these coaches:

ActionCoach
Fire them nowCoach B
Coach F
Wait and seeCoach A
Coach C
Coach E
Extend their contractCoach D

For some crazy reason, all of these coaches' ADs gave them a 3rd season, so here's what happened:

CoachYear 1Year 2Year 3
Coach A4-84-87-6
Coach B3-82-93-7-1
Coach C4-85-73-9
Coach D2-106-75-7
Coach E2-8-14-71-10
Coach F5-64-78-4

So, here's our new fire, wait, extend matrix after year 3:

ActionCoach
Fire them nowCoach B
Coach C
Coach E
Wait and seeCoach D
Extend their contractCoach A
Coach F

Oh wait, you want to know who you just decided to fire or keep after season 2 or 3?

[hide]

CoachResult after Y2Result after Y3
Art Briles - BaylorWaitExtend
Gary Barnett - NorthwesternFireFire
David Cutcliffe - DukeWaitFire
Dan Hawkins - ColoradoExtendWait
Bill McCartney - ColoradoWaitFire
Hayden Fry - IowaFireExtend

[/hide]

Given that list of six coaches, do you really want the only ones to make it to year four to be Art Briles and Dan Hawkins? Or, do you think that maybe we need to look at something other than win/loss to measure progress for the first few years of a rebuild?

Good work on this.

No question that we all want better results. It's also reasonable to expect some changes (assistants.)

What your post shows is that you can't tell a great deal about how a rebuild is going by the record for at least the first couple years.

What your data doesn't give is a sense of what was happening inside the program. I know that with McCartney, with Barnett, with Cutcliffe there was a general sense of energy and enthusiasm inside the programs. People close to the programs felt like the programs were on the right track even if it wasn't showing on the scoreboards.

Good work on this.

No question that we all want better results. It's also reasonable to expect some changes (assistants.)

What your post shows is that you can't tell a great deal about how a rebuild is going by the record for at least the first couple years.

What your data doesn't give is a sense of what was happening inside the program. I know that with McCartney, with Barnett, with Cutcliffe there was a general sense of energy and enthusiasm inside the programs. People close to the programs felt like the programs were on the right track even if it wasn't showing on the scoreboards.

I feel that this team has improved so much. CSU is in year three with their Mac and doing good in their conference. ASU is a good team, and outside of spotting them 17 points in the first quarter, we played tough. Cal we knew had a huge amount of injuries last year on the d, yet even playing at home they needed two OT's to win. OSU had tons of experience at QB and is always well coached, yet took a couple bad reffing calls against CU to win.

Unlike the past few years when teams pulled starters in the third quarter (the bad teams) or the second quarter (good teams) and I remember Oregon pulling a few at the end of the first, starters are playing all four quarters. Unless we knock them out that is!

I would hope most people close to the team can see that if 1. Sefo stops throwing into triple coverage for those first quarter INT's, 2. The OL can just get us those 1 yard per down we need in tough situations, 3. The front 7 can get more solid against the run, and 4. Special Teams just be CONSISTANT, then we will start to win a lot of games.

And it isn't that we need all four. Just one of those four in each game, two at most and we could have 4 to 5 wins right now. If all four were solid and consistant we would be 6 and 0.

2011 and 2012 if we had all four consistant we still would have had 10 other areas lacking.

So I (channeling my MTN) see energy and enthusiasm in this program, like never before. I am moving back to season tickets. I am donating. I am excited to see growth. I personally love this coach. I love the kids and leaders that are emerging on the team. I love the facilities, beer gardens (and I don't even drink beer, but know what was sorely needed) and love our AD, which was not the case for many years.

I hope for either much more improvement in the next six games, or Mac making some changes on the staff during the off season.

I am looking forward to the last 6 games, instead of just praying for the season to be over like the last 4 years (not counting '13). I feel sorry for the glass half empty (and cracked) types here. I'd love more wins, but I am getting excited with the growrh I am seeing. If we can find a way to win two or three more this year, and get a couple more higher end quality recruits then I would be pleased as punch.

But then, I knew how destroyed this program was when MM arrived, and that the road back would be tougher in the Pac than what MM had to face in the MWC. I think some people didn't grasp the scope of the depths we were in. I do not see that as 'giving Mac a free pass'; I see that as 'I clearly understood how unsupported, talentless and lacking of fundamentals' this team was. Unlike previous years, where I had to pray I could see the possibility of growth, I see it now. I do not doubt.

Go Buffs! Keep on keeping on. Wins, bowls and top 25 rankins are on the way.

I will have to say after following CU football for over 5 decades I do not think I have ever seen a coach get such a pass from fans as MacIntyre has received. I definitely think this staff has to start being held to a higher standard.

Accountability isn't one of the CU fan base's strongest traits. Neither is cold, sober evaluation and collective bias towards action.

We're much more inclined to depend on hope and the power of positive thinking.

Ruthlessness is pretty much reserved for off field indiscretions involving sexual misconduct.

I was trying to figure out a way to normalize the year over year stats for the defense knowing full well the offense improvement was helping the defense. I became curious in 3rd down conversion rates. Here is the data:

Offense
2014 .426
2013 .337

Defense
2014 .398
2013 .388

Wild offensive improvement and essentially no defensive change. You can make the argument teams are trying to move the ball on us for four quarters this year, but I still believe this is meaningful.

Back