What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Las Vegas Bowl is ending MWC partnership after 2019

That's a huge win for the Pac-12.

Really hurts the MWC, too. Las Vegas Bowl pays $1.35M per team. Arizona Bowl pays under $300k.

Got to assume that for the Pac-12 we'll see a significant increase to that $1.35M if there's a P5 conference opponent and a date closer to New Year's Day.

Really hurts the MWC, too. Las Vegas Bowl pays $1.35M per team. Arizona Bowl pays under $300k.

Got to assume that for the Pac-12 we'll see a significant increase to that $1.35M if there's a P5 conference opponent and a date closer to New Year's Day.

I take back what I said about dropping the Vegas Bowl as a partner earlier this week. As far as the MWC, they'll find a new situation-Bowl game tie-ins are a lot like minor league baseball tie-ins.......always changing and people usually find a situation that works for them. Still think our problem is quantity more than anything-I want into the Texas Bowl.

Last edited:

This game can be on the level of the Citrus Bowl or Alamo Bowl going forward.

Why not have it on NYD and televise it on P12 net?

Ok, the P12 net thing is a reach. But honestly, why not have it on NYD? What would be the problem with that? So many of the legacy Bowl games have been moved off of NYD that it’s harder to binge college football that day.

Ok, the P12 net thing is a reach. But honestly, why not have it on NYD? What would be the problem with that? So many of the legacy Bowl games have been moved off of NYD that it’s harder to binge college football that day.

Depends on the partner conference, but the SEC already has two pretty big bowl games on NYD with the Outback Bowl and Citrus Bowl. The Pac-12 has the Rose Bowl most years. Not sure either conference wants to dilute exposure of those games. Plenty of opportunities to find a time slot between the 26th and 31st to maximize the exposure.

Depends on the partner conference, but the SEC already has two pretty big bowl games on NYD with the Outback Bowl and Citrus Bowl. The Pac-12 has the Rose Bowl most years. Not sure either conference wants to dilute exposure of those games. Plenty of opportunities to find a time slot between the 26th and 31st to maximize the exposure.
Outback and Citrus are day games played on the East Coast. Play the Vegas Bowl right after the Rose Bowl ends, at around 8:00 Eastern. No dilution and the country gets a massive dose of PAC 12 football all at the same time. Win/win.

Could also go after 1/1, which some bowls have done. With the signing day on or about 12/20, it's preferable to the schools to push the games later in the calendar but still within the dead period.

Outback and Citrus are day games played on the East Coast. Play the Vegas Bowl right after the Rose Bowl ends, at around 8:00 Eastern. No dilution and the country gets a massive dose of PAC 12 football all at the same time. Win/win.

Well, I believe either CFP games or NY6 bowls get that time slot every year, so that will not really work.

Well, I believe either CFP games or NY6 bowls get that time slot every year, so that will not really work.
Stop raining on my parade!!!

So put it on just prior to the Rose Bowl, then. Should still be OK, timing wise.

Stop raining on my parade!!!

So put it on just prior to the Rose Bowl, then. Should still be OK, timing wise.

The SEC puts the Outback and Citrus Bowl (somewhat staggered) before the Rose Bowl. Not sure they would want a third game that morning.

The options are really sometime in prime time between the 26th and 31st or moving it after 1/1 like Nik suggested.

What about an arrangement with the ACC instead? We could probably get a higher profile team out of the ACC than we could from the SEC. We might get stuck with Missouri or South Carolina from the SEC, but a team like VT or UNC or Miami might fall to that slot from the ACC.

What about an arrangement with the ACC instead? We could probably get a higher profile team out of the ACC than we could from the SEC. We might get stuck with Missouri or South Carolina from the SEC, but a team like VT or UNC or Miami might fall to that slot from the ACC.

SEC is a much larger ratings draw than ACC, regardless of which team it is.

SEC is a much larger ratings draw than ACC, regardless of which team it is.
I think the team has a large bearing on it. Missouri, Kentucky and Mississippi State would not command the kind of audience that Miami or VT would. On balance, though, I agree. Here’s my thinking: it would be easier to attract the ACC #4 team than it would be to attract the SEC #4 team. I expect the PAC 12 #4 team to be there. (Rose, Alamo, Holiday, Vegas).

Because ESPN owns the CFP/NY6 and they want as much eyeballs on those games as they can get. If I ran the four letter, what I'd do with the NY6 is spread it out along the lines of the old BCS-there were games on 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4.....but there was one of those a night. Nothing wrong with spreading this out a bit more-rather than inundating us with college football and then making us wait a week before the final bowl game and the championship. That would also allow for games like this one to be after Christmas. I'd also be fine with conceding the 10 days between the start of bowl season and Xmas to the Group of 5-makes sense given the early signing period to not play at all during that time.

Has anybody checked Ramnation? This is another reason to kill off that game-this was the MWC's last bowl tie-in with a power 5 conference.

Since when has the Pac worried about TV exposure?

Back