What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Las Vegas Bowl is ending MWC partnership after 2019

Because it’s a great game in the middle of a recruiting hotbed with a big enough payout to make the game profitable to the participants in a place that is fun to visit?

I agree with you.

I'm saying it would be better to support a Vegas Bowl alliance than worry about hurting the Alamo's feelings.

I agree with you.

I'm saying it would be better to support a Vegas Bowl alliance than worry about hurting the Alamo's feelings.
I don’t think it’s an either/or proposition. I think we can keep both happy and have everybody make money.

FWIW, the ACC has bowl pool of the Citrus or Belk and Gator or Music City for teams #3 and #4.

If Las Vegas wants the #2 team in the PAC and makes a significant investment to make that happen, I don't know why you would think about turning them down. The Las Vegas bowl has the potential to be HUGE, with the right tie-ins.

If Las Vegas wants the #2 team in the PAC and makes a significant investment to make that happen, I don't know why you would think about turning them down. The Las Vegas bowl has the potential to be HUGE, with the right tie-ins.
Yeah, and if they make a big enough investment for PAC2, that isn't coming along with SEC6. It would have to be a top 3 SEC; 4 at the lowest.

TV will pay more for an SEC tie in than an ACC one.
SEC fans will pay more for more tickets, most ACC schools won't.

Lots of the bowl revenue is not actually tied to the actual game. Sponsors, TV, Merch, etc. all will pay more for the SEC than they would the ACC.
On balance, yes. If you’re talking about the #4 SEC team and the #4 ACC team, you’re absolutely correct. I just don’t think that’s the case. Given the choice between the SEC #6 team (Ole Miss, South Carolina, Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky) or the #3 ACC team (FSU, VT, ND, Miami), my position is that the networks and everybody involved would pay more for the ACC team. I think we have a much better chance of getting a higher slotted ACC team than we do an SEC team.

The ACC and SEC pool bowl teams. You do not automatically get the #3 or #4 team in the conference every year. The unique arrangements they have made with regional bowls (and the SEC picking where they send teams) makes an iron-clad agreement with the Las Vegas Bowl unlikely. Therefore, some years you would be getting a very good team from those conferences and other years it would be more of a middling team. Given that structure, there is no contest choosing between those conferences as a bowl partner, the SEC is the clear preference.

The ACC and SEC pool bowl teams. You do not automatically get the #3 or #4 team in the conference every year. The unique arrangements they have made with regional bowls (and the SEC picking where they send teams) makes an iron-clad agreement with the Las Vegas Bowl unlikely. Therefore, some years you would be getting a very good team from those conferences and other years it would be more of a middling team. Given that structure, there is no contest choosing between those conferences as a bowl partner, the SEC is the clear preference.
So how does that actually work? Does the conference decide where to send teams?

So how does that actually work? Does the conference decide where to send teams?
Sometimes you get their 2, sometimes their 3. It rotates between bowls. The effect seems to be higher payouts for their bowl games.

Sometimes you get their 2, sometimes their 3. It rotates between bowls. The effect seems to be higher payouts for their bowl games.
Well alrighty then. Let’s see what they come up with. I just don’t want to get stuck with a Stanford/Missouri matchup. Nobody would show up to watch an incredibly boring football game.

The SEC decides where teams go and the ACC has agreements with bowl games for three out of every six years.
And you’re not worried about location bias from the SEC?

I mean, yeah, on balance I see the attraction. But even in the system you are describing, I could see them sending teams like Kentucky or Vanderbilt to Vegas to protect their marquee teams from potential embarrassment out west.

I’m probably over thinking things.

And you’re not worried about location bias from the SEC?

I mean, yeah, on balance I see the attraction. But even in the system you are describing, I could see them sending teams like Kentucky or Vanderbilt out West to protect their marquee teams from potential embarrassment out west.

I’m probably over thinking things.

The SEC absolutely gives their teams favorable matchups. It is the dirty little secret behind their gaudy bowl records some years.

SEC viewers watch a lot of football. They like traveling. The Pac-12 needs exposure and more money. This is an easy solution, whatever team the SEC sends (and there would be marquee teams at least every other year IMO).

I guess I wouldn't mind watching even SEC6 in Las Vegas. Having one of Bama, UGA, UF, Tenn, Auburn or LSU would be cool with me, especially when 10-2/9-3 PAC2 beats down 7-5/8-4 SEC6

I guess I’m OK with getting an Ole Miss or Vandy from time to time if it would also mean a chance to play Florida or Auburn or Georgia roughly the same number of times over a ten year period. If we get stuck with the dregs of the SEC every year, we will need to re-examine the relationship.

I guess I’m OK with getting an Ole Miss or Vandy from time to time if it would also mean a chance to play Florida or Auburn or Georgia roughly the same number of times over a ten year period. If we get stuck with the dregs of the SEC every year, we will need to re-examine the relationship.
Still better than anything the MWC would ever dish up

**** that. Why prop up playing in a place that celebrates an event where 'they' lost a battle in a conquest against people defending their country. Never understood the rallying cry of "Remember the Alamo" -- Texans celebrating losers. Not much good said in the "Texas" forum.

It's not about the "Alamo" Bowl . . . . move on to better places and things. Though Vegas is not something to be celebrated, either.
Even though your state sucks and you and your parents are ignorant ****s, would you please come play ball for us?

**** that. Why prop up playing in a place that celebrates an event where 'they' lost a battle in a conquest against people defending their country. Never understood the rallying cry of "Remember the Alamo" -- Texans celebrating losers. Not much good said in the "Texas" forum.

It's not about the "Alamo" Bowl . . . . move on to better places and things. Though Vegas is not something to be celebrated, either.

How about because we still recruit in Texas? You do remember where Shenault and KD Nixon are from......don't you?

We need relationships with a couple more games in Texas (I'm thinking the Texas Bowl here). I'd be willing to lose a game like the Cactus or whatever the San Francisco game is called now to make that happen.

How about because we still recruit in Texas? You do remember where Shenault and KD Nixon are from......don't you?

Look . . . I get it. I was just responding to @Not Sure when he said this:
Don’t want to piss off the Alamo Bowl. The PAC 12 travels like crap to that game anyway. Don’t give them a reason to drop the affiliation. I’d be fine with putting the Vegas Bowl ahead of the Holiday and making the #3 team go there. I think it would be bad strategy to try to push the Alamo Bowl down a notch.

I don't care about pissing off the Alamo Bowl. Just because the Pac-12 may improve our bowl alliances doesn't mean we would piss off texans or couldn't be a good presence there.

While we're at it, could we replace the Sun Bowl with something more in central Texas?

I'd rather keep it because thats our only tie in with the ACC........I want more bowls against them and the SEC. Don't we have multiple tie-ins against the Big 12 and Big 10?

Not sure if this made it up here, but the Big Ten is ending their tie in with the San Francisco Bowl for the new Wrigley Field bowl.......that's an option for the MWC champ per McMurphy-That might also be a game we need to ditch too.

I'd rather keep it because thats our only tie in with the ACC........I want more bowls against them and the SEC. Don't we have multiple tie-ins against the Big 12 and Big 10?
This keeps coming up, so for clarity, this is for 2018-2019:

Pac-12 Bowl Ties, Affiliations
A Pac-12 team will be in the Rose Bowl – it’ll be the champion if not in the College Football Playoff. There can’t be a Pac-12 team this year in the Sugar Bowl.

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected
1. Rose Bowl vs. Big Ten
2. Valero Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12
3. San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Big Ten
4. Foster Farms Bowl vs. Big Ten
5. Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. ACC
6. Las Vegas Bowl vs. Mountain West
7. Cactus Bowl vs. Big 12

IMO, all those games against the Big Ten simply gives them an easier recruiting path to the West Coast. We should strategically try to move at least one to another P5 conference - giving them a similar watered down promise of the benefits! That would be in addition to making the Vegas Bowl a P5 opponent.

Not sure if this made it up here, but the Big Ten is ending their tie in with the San Francisco Bowl for the new Wrigley Field bowl.......that's an option for the MWC champ per McMurphy-That might also be a game we need to ditch too.

You do not ditch bowl games in the conference footprint. That would be the height of stupidity (which is why it might happen).

This keeps coming up, so for clarity, this is for 2018-2019:

Pac-12 Bowl Ties, Affiliations
A Pac-12 team will be in the Rose Bowl – it’ll be the champion if not in the College Football Playoff. There can’t be a Pac-12 team this year in the Sugar Bowl.

College Football Playoff Semifinal: If Selected
1. Rose Bowl vs. Big Ten
2. Valero Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12
3. San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl vs. Big Ten
4. Foster Farms Bowl vs. Big Ten
5. Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. ACC
6. Las Vegas Bowl vs. Mountain West
7. Cactus Bowl vs. Big 12

IMO, all those games against the Big Ten simply gives them an easier recruiting path to the West Coast. We should strategically try to move at least one to another P5 conference - giving them a similar watered down promise of the benefits! That would be in addition to making the Vegas Bowl a P5 opponent.

I believe the Foster Farms Bowl is now just the San Francisco Bowl.

We won’t, nor should we, “ditch” the San Francisco Bowl.

We aren’t going to get a B12 team to play there, we already have two tie ins against that conference. If the LV Bowl is truly going after an SEC opponent, the ACC makes sense to target for that slot. Hopefully, they can increase the payout and make it reasonably attractive for an east coast team to make the trip.

We won’t, nor should we, “ditch” the San Francisco Bowl.

We aren’t going to get a B12 team to play there, we already have two tie ins against that conference. If the LV Bowl is truly going after an SEC opponent, the ACC makes sense to target for that slot. Hopefully, they can increase the payout and make it reasonably attractive for an east coast team to make the trip.

I don't want to be connected with any bowl that has a connection with the MWC or any other G5 league, regardless of location. There's a reason why the Group of 5 have two bowl tie ins with the Power 5 this year between those five leagues (the American is slated to send a team to the Armed Forces Bowl to play a Big 12 opponent, and the Vegas Bowl). It hurts in recruiting, the Power 5 team in that case often doesn't care (look no further than Auburn in the Peach Bowl LY), and can you imagine the Denver media if we got paired with CSU or Air Force in a bowl game? Ack. If that game can secure another P5 partner, thats a different deal........but if we're playing the MWC or some other Group of 5 league in San Francisco instead of Vegas......**** that. If CSU or Wyoming or any other team in those leagues outside of Air Force wants to play us, they can ask for 2 games in Folsom in return for one game at their place or a one game guarantee.

Back