What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Las Vegas Bowl is ending MWC partnership after 2019

ig problem for the MWC; a much needed step for the PAC-12 if they can land a decent SEC matchup (especially SEC West teams).

The MWC and AAC really need to collaborate on having a "champions matchup" when they don't make the CFP. The Holiday Bowl and Liberty Bowl used to be really good football matchups for the non-power conferences but both have been lost to P5 tie ins and they are only alternates now.

If the MWC and AAC were able to create (or build on an existing bowl) that is played in the middle of the country (Heart of Dallas Bowl?) and commit both of their best non-CFP teams to it then they wouldn't be at the mercy of these types of changes and still have a top matchup rather than their champions potentially playing a 7-5 team from a P5 conference and no ratings and little attendance.

scorch the sheep to the ground. get them off the schedule completely. it is becoming the equivalent of us scheduling the school of mines or something. good job, vegas bowl-- i can't wait for our first appearance against one of them damned sec teams. i want a win over florida, tennessee, auburn, or bama!

where'd i set my drink down? you! you! that's my cocktail.

I think the team has a large bearing on it. Missouri, Kentucky and Mississippi State would not command the kind of audience that Miami or VT would. On balance, though, I agree. Here’s my thinking: it would be easier to attract the ACC #4 team than it would be to attract the SEC #4 team. I expect the PAC 12 #4 team to be there. (Rose, Alamo, Holiday, Vegas).
Agree with you somewhat, just depends on intra-conference ranking. Would prefer SEC tho in general, especially for what seems to be a higher-status bowl upcoming.

I know we all complain about the bowl lineup we have but a top three of the rose bowl, Vegas bowl and the Alamo bowl would we amazing. I just hope the Alamo bowl doesn’t drop the pac for another conference because that is an awesome setting, especially for CU and Utah that recruit Texas so heavily.

I know we all complain about the bowl lineup we have but a top three of the rose bowl, Vegas bowl and the Alamo bowl would we amazing. I just hope the Alamo bowl doesn’t drop the pac for another conference because that is an awesome setting, especially for CU and Utah that recruit Texas so heavily.

I think you have so many games in that state/region that its hard to not have a presence-Hell, I'd want our league in the Independence Bowl, Heart of Dallas Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, and Texas Bowl to be able to make recruiting down there that much easier.

What about an arrangement with the ACC instead? We could probably get a higher profile team out of the ACC than we could from the SEC. We might get stuck with Missouri or South Carolina from the SEC, but a team like VT or UNC or Miami might fall to that slot from the ACC.

I think you're onto something, Not sure......With the way their divisions are broken up, the fourth selection out of the ACC might be the loser of their championship game in most years. I'd take a game against Miami or 2016 VT over Missouri or SC any day.

Awesome. Makes complete sense and always wondered why this bowl game was not a bigger match-up. Perfect weather that time of year and a destination spot everyone wants to go to.

Last edited:
From Wilner's newsletter that just dropped:

Officials throughout the Pac-12 are concerned about the fate of the conference’s bowl pairings when the next contract cycle begins in 2020.

The current lineup is a step behind those of the SEC and Big Ten, largely because of the paucity of high-level bowls in the west. (Geography is critical to establishing conference partnerships: There are more Power Five schools and more bowl games in the east.)

Upgrading the postseason lineup is considered essential to elevating the Pac-12's struggling football brand.

“Everybody feels like we need more bowls and better bowls,” the source said. "We don't want to get left behind."

To that extent, the ascent of Las Vegas couldn’t come at a better time: The Raiders' $1.8 billion stadium is expected to be ready for the 2020 season, with both state and local officials putting immense resources behind the drive to attract major sporting events.

Combine the first-class venue with top-tier payouts to the conferences and a destination city for fans, and the Las Vegas Bowl could become a marquee matchup — perhaps the No. 2 bowl in the western half of the country.

Don’t be surprised if the next round of bowl negotiations results in Vegas jumping into the second slot in the Pac-12 pecking order, ahead of the Alamo and the Holiday bowls. Such a scenario would instantly give the conference’s lineup much greater heft.

From Wilner's newsletter that just dropped:

Officials throughout the Pac-12 are concerned about the fate of the conference’s bowl pairings when the next contract cycle begins in 2020.

The current lineup is a step behind those of the SEC and Big Ten, largely because of the paucity of high-level bowls in the west. (Geography is critical to establishing conference partnerships: There are more Power Five schools and more bowl games in the east.)

Upgrading the postseason lineup is considered essential to elevating the Pac-12's struggling football brand.

“Everybody feels like we need more bowls and better bowls,” the source said. "We don't want to get left behind."

To that extent, the ascent of Las Vegas couldn’t come at a better time: The Raiders' $1.8 billion stadium is expected to be ready for the 2020 season, with both state and local officials putting immense resources behind the drive to attract major sporting events.

Combine the first-class venue with top-tier payouts to the conferences and a destination city for fans, and the Las Vegas Bowl could become a marquee matchup — perhaps the No. 2 bowl in the western half of the country.

Don’t be surprised if the next round of bowl negotiations results in Vegas jumping into the second slot in the Pac-12 pecking order, ahead of the Alamo and the Holiday bowls. Such a scenario would instantly give the conference’s lineup much greater heft.

P12 #2 vs SEC #4?

That seem about right if it moves ahead of Alamo and Holiday?

Don’t want to piss off the Alamo Bowl. The PAC 12 travels like crap to that game anyway. Don’t give them a reason to drop the affiliation. I’d be fine with putting the Vegas Bowl ahead of the Holiday and making the #3 team go there. I think it would be bad strategy to try to push the Alamo Bowl down a notch.

They put on a good game, even if the stadium itself is kind of dated. San Antonio puts on a good show.

And I’ll reiterate: I think we should look very closely at an ACC tie in as opposed to an SEC affiliation. We have a better chance at some marquee matchups with the ACC. I don’t think we could hope to get the #4 SEC team. We would be lucky to get the #5 team, and would probably end up with the #6 team most years. Figure they will have one team in the playoff, then the Sugar, then Citrus, then Outback, then Gator. The SEC won’t want to disturb any of those long standing Bowl relationships in favor of a Bowl game played halfway across the country. Really, the best the Vegas Bowl can hope for is #5, and that would be in the extremely unlikely scenario that no SEC team makes the playoff.
We have a far better chance of attracting an upper echelon ACC team (#3 or #4).

Don’t want to piss off the Alamo Bowl. The PAC 12 travels like crap to that game anyway. Don’t give them a reason to drop the affiliation. I’d be fine with putting the Vegas Bowl ahead of the Holiday and making the #3 team go there. I think it would be bad strategy to try to push the Alamo Bowl down a notch.

They put on a good game, even if the stadium itself is kind of dated. San Antonio puts on a good show.

**** that. Why prop up playing in a place that celebrates an event where 'they' lost a battle in a conquest against people defending their country. Never understood the rallying cry of "Remember the Alamo" -- Texans celebrating losers. Not much good said in the "Texas" forum.

It's not about the "Alamo" Bowl . . . . move on to better places and things. Though Vegas is not something to be celebrated, either.

The next thing the conference needs to do is get a Bowl game in Seattle.

And I’ll reiterate: I think we should look very closely at an ACC tie in as opposed to an SEC affiliation. We have a better chance at some marquee matchups with the ACC. I don’t think we could hope to get the #4 SEC team. We would be lucky to get the #5 team, and would probably end up with the #6 team most years. Figure they will have one team in the playoff, then the Sugar, then Citrus, then Outback, then Gator. The SEC won’t want to disturb any of those long standing Bowl relationships in favor of a Bowl game played halfway across the country. Really, the best the Vegas Bowl can hope for is #5, and that would be in the extremely unlikely scenario that no SEC team makes the playoff.
We have a far better chance of attracting an upper echelon ACC team (#3 or #4).

Only the Citrus Bowl is given clear distinction as being "ranked" in the hierarchy for the SEC. The other bowls are pooled, so you get better SEC teams some years and middling SEC teams in other years.

The Las Vegas Bowl wants to make money. Therefore, no contest between the SEC and ACC.

**** that. Why prop up playing in a place that celebrates an event where 'they' lost a battle in a conquest against people defending their country. Never understood the rallying cry of "Remember the Alamo" -- Texans celebrating losers. Not much good said in the "Texas" forum.

It's not about the "Alamo" Bowl . . . . move on to better places and things. Though Vegas is not something to be celebrated, either.
Because it’s a great game in the middle of a recruiting hotbed with a big enough payout to make the game profitable to the participants in a place that is fun to visit?

The Las Vegas Bowl wants to make money. Therefore, no contest between the SEC and ACC.

I will believe they can make more money with a #6 SEC team as opposed to a #3 ACC team when I see it. I am simply not convinced that’s the case.

I will believe they can make more money with a #6 SEC team as opposed to a #3 ACC team when I see it. I am simply not convinced that’s the case.

You realize ACC schools have bowl attendance issues, right?

Let's say Tennessee or Texas A&M vs. Miami since you brought them up earlier.

So now we're talking about a #2 Pac 12 team vs the #6 SEC team for the Vegas Bowl?
I don’t know what the proposed rankings will be. This is all pure speculation. But I have a very hard time believing the Vegas Bowl would be able to attract anything better than the SEC #6 team. How the PAC 12 decides to slot their teams is up to them. I doubt they get anything better than PAC 12 #3, though.

TV will pay more for an SEC tie in than an ACC one.
SEC fans will pay more for more tickets, most ACC schools won't.

Lots of the bowl revenue is not actually tied to the actual game. Sponsors, TV, Merch, etc. all will pay more for the SEC than they would the ACC.

Back