What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

Which station had Bohn on and were the interviewers civil to him?

They asked him some tough questions. I hear all these radio guys -- they are just not very educated. I won't call them dumb. Ignorant might be a better word. They talk about things they have absolutely no knowledge on, and it makes them look silly to anyone who DOES have knowledge about the issues.

It was the guys on 93.7 (I think) - sorry, I don't know their names. They were civil, friendly, but did ask some tough questions. One guy wanted to know why Bohn should be allowed to make the next hire, after he failed with Hawkins and Embree. He complained that no AD gets to hire that many coaches. Bohn responded that this is just the nature of college football, and lots of AD's hire multiple coaches. He cited Texas and UCLA and some other schools.

I like Big Al quite a bit, but sometimes you are just like 'wtf - how did you reach that conclusion?'

Embree on 102.3 right now.

What was hardest? "Seeing the players. I told 'em I'd been fired and would talk again this week. Didn't anticipate them being at the presser. That was hard."

CJ: How surprised were you? "Mike had been working with us in things we were doing. I was going to spend 4 days at Okie St. Possible staff changes discussed. Everything was good. Called Saturday night wanting to know when I'd be in. I said I'd be there, I knew something was up. He walked in and said he wanted to make a change."

NK: Bohn said it never seemed to click. What did that mean? "I have know idea what that means."

CJ: There will be better resources for next staff. For you, how did it make you feel hearing that? :"Laughs and says we will see if they do it. We don't have enough meeting rooms. Not enough chairs. So, you know. You can say it. We'll see if it gets done."

NK: When you tried to give your plan did they discuss timeline? "Every year, Mike said "Don't worry, we're in this for the long haul." Long haul is 23 months."

CJ: You're record was not good and you know it. Is that reason to fire you? "We had one recruiting class. I don't want to get into the dynamics. Roster was what it was. Would have been nice to win some of those games. But it is what it is, you know. Gotta win more. Mike wouldn't even say that. He talked about the trajectory." Then he goes into arrests, academics, all the good things that we did. Trying to change the culture, yada, yada. Those things hurt ability to coach. We were going in the right direction.

NK: Were you willing to make changes? "Embree named the guys who said they'd resign. Changing coaches was not an issue."

CJ: Mike said it was his decision. Was it about you. You said you were willing to make changes. Was it about Jon Embree? "I don't know. I don't know what there was to talk through. I don't know what "trajectory" means. Many things improved."

CJ: What have you learned? "Do the spread sooner. We didn't have enough bodies. We were handcuffed. Laugh. Laugh. We couldn't do things we want to implement. We were hamstrung. Gotta find a way. I felt the number one thing was helping the guys understand fighting and competing. They get it now. The young guys were rubbing off on the older guys. The swagger. The older guys handled it well. A lot of things that needed to be done and we were turning the corner."

NK: When you were hired, there was B4L lobbying for a former Buff. You got the job. Did you feel like your were Bohn's guy? "I don't know. Only Mike could answer that. Laugh. I was hired 23 months ago. I asked Mike how many guys have been fired after 2 years. He said 2. You and Turner Gill. So, there ya go. I know I felt like I let people down. It wasn't from a lack of effort."

CJ: Would you have taken the job in hindsight? "No. You can't do it in 23 months. 28 seniors. Your whole team graduates. The entire roster changed. 13 weeks withoug a bye. Doesn't work.

NK: Can next guy be successful. "I hope so. I'm a Buff. I want these kids to have success." (Inferred) that he thinks Bohn should be fired.

JE: "Thanks to all the fans."

Last edited:
They asked him some tough questions. I hear all these radio guys -- they are just not very educated. I won't call them dumb. Ignorant might be a better word. They talk about things they have absolutely no knowledge on, and it makes them look silly to anyone who DOES have knowledge about the issues.

It was the guys on 93.7 (I think) - sorry, I don't know their names. They were civil, friendly, but did ask some tough questions. One guy wanted to know why Bohn should be allowed to make the next hire, after he failed with Hawkins and Embree. He complained that no AD gets to hire that many coaches. Bohn responded that this is just the nature of college football, and lots of AD's hire multiple coaches. He cited Texas and UCLA and some other schools.

CJ & Kreckman interviewed him - CJ must have asked him 5 or 6 times "questions" that were really just different ways of saying that CJ thought Bohn should be fired.

Big Al is torn between loyalty and his own football IQ. He knows the arguments are valid. But he can't emotionally accept that Embree was only given 2 years. I'm willing to cut him some slack. He's hurting.

Then Embree should have done it from the start. I don't see why he somehow deserves a mulligan

yeah all the "patience" talk goes out the window when Embree is openly talking about changing the offense after his 2nd year. To me that is the biggest indictment of the Embree ERA and the ones defending him. If you believe in the 5 yrs it takes to build a program, yada, yada, then why isn't Embree giving the patience to the 5 yr plan for the offense he installed. Add into the fact Embree nor is EB a spread coach keeping those 2 around to implement a change to the offense would be a disaster.

Embree still doesn't sound like he is taking much responsibility here. He could do a lot of good for the players he professes to love by accepting the decision and smoothing over the divisions.

We might have one guy drafted in the NFL from the seniors according to the scott Big AL talk to. Kasa is that guy.

I'm losing A LOT of respect for Embree right now. Now he is ripping on the school, saying they won't give him what they need, that they need more chairs and more meetings rooms.

All that may be legitimate, but this tone is pathetic.

Embree much upsetness that Bohn said they'd increase resources. Says saying and doing is different.. I'm sorry coach, but we saw a whole lot of that on the field this season. Your team didn't do much at all this year.

I guess I just wish he'd say I'm glad they're increasing resources, I want the next guy to succeed etc.

I'm losing A LOT of respect for Embree right now. Now he is ripping on the school, saying they won't give him what they need, that they need more chairs and more meetings rooms.

All that may be legitimate, but this tone is pathetic.

Yeah, we gave up 50 points a game and got blown out over and over, and had the worst season in school history because we didn't have enough chairs in the meeting rooms... :rolling_eyes:

It is interesting that not a peep has been heard from McCartney today.

Mac has been marginalized with this move and will have no roll in the AD moving forward unless he will play along and try to help the program. I do not think he will be in the forefront on criticism of Bohn. He is going to let the other Embree Campers take the fight so he does not damaged and sound bitter.

Another thing I have to say...

I have lived in Oklahoma since I left Boulder in 1992. I was in Oklahoma when Gary Gibbs was fired, when Howard Schnellenberger was fired, and when John Blake was fired. I was in Oklahoma when Bob Simmons was fired.

Since those guys have been fired, I have never once heard the local sports radio guys call them up for an interview. Gibbs, Schnellenberger and Blake are the butt of many jokes in Oklahoma. It is almost as if Bob Simmons was never OK State's head football coach - it is like they skipped directly from Pat Jones to Les Miles.

Why does the Denver media love to trot out the old CU coaches and ask them their opinion? And why is it only the McCartney crowd that they call? I wonder if they ever make any effort to track down Neuheisel and ask his comments on issues. Or heck, even Hawkins.

Very strange, imo.

:lol: I'm sorry didn't Embree run off a bunch of Hawk guys during his 1st yr. Maybe he should have coached them up instead.

I can't believe he doesn't even acknowledge his failure here. I'm feeling much upsetness with him

Back