What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

It is like everyone has forgotten the following:

Embree’s first season finished with a 3-10 record. While most of us were able to excuse that performance based on the talent gap we knew was there and the time it takes to change culture as well as implement systems, there were bad signs within that bad record. CU had 18 seniors for the 2011 season, many of them on offense. It was hard to stomach watching a veteran offense with a number of players who ended up in NFL camps finish with the nation’s 92nd ranked yardage offense and 109th ranked scoring offense (out of 120 FBS programs).

This season, the program has become a national laughingstock. Against a rebuilding CSU, the offense that was revamped in the offseason to be similar to Oregon’s was unveiled. No huddle with play call boards signaling things in from the sideline. It was such a failure that it was scrapped by halftime to never be seen again. CU loss. This was followed by an inexcusable home loss to Sacramento State, an FCS program that finished in the middle of its lower division conference. Next came Fresno State, another rebuilding program with a 1st year head coach. They set all-time scoring records against the Buffs in a laugher. Relief came when Washington State imploded in the 4th quarter after dominating the first 3. That 1-point win against a dysfunctional rebuilding program that is 2-9 (0-7 in Pac-12 play) is the highlight of the season and the results since then have been spectacularly bad.

In the 6 games since then, CU has been beaten by 25 or more points ever single week. First it was UCLA beating CU 42-14 at Folsom. Then, a Thursday night national audience saw Arizona State turn a 20-17 halftime lead into a 51-17 laugher. USC’s Barkley set a single-game passing completion % record in a 50-6 drubbing of CU. Oregon showed all the mercy it could by only winning 70-6. Stanford shut the Buffs out 48-0 at home, the first Folsom shutout in 150 games dating back to 1986. Stanford has scored 13, 13, 21 and 17 points in its other 4 road games. Next came a trip to Arizona that saw a 56-31 loss to a team with a defense rated almost as low as CU’s by giving up over 43 points per game in Pac-12 play entering our contest. Arizona’s running back, Ka’Deem Carey had 400 yards of offense in that one (Pac-12 record 366 rushing plus 5 TDs). Last, Washington just missed another home shutout of CU in a 38-3 win. This is a Washington team that hadn’t score more than 21 on the road all season and was giving up an average of 39 points in road games. Sadly, despite those numbers Washington came into Folsom as 31 point favorites.

To sum up this season:

1-10 record

6 straight losses by 25+ points

Loss to a middling FCS (1AA) team

Zero home wins – CU hasn’t lost every home game since 1892

7 losses by 25+ points

4 losses by 40+ points

And that’s not the worst of it. CU is ranked last (120/120 qualifiers) in the NCAA FBS in both scoring offense and scoring defense. CU is 11th or 12th in the Pac-12 in 14 of the 17 major statistical categories, 9th in 2 others, and 5th in Net Punting. The lone bright spot is that a decent punter has put the Buffs in the middle of the conference in a single category.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/r...r=2012&org=157

There’s another measure called the UPS Team Performance Index that looks at the full measure of a team: Offensive yards/play, Defensive yards/play, 6 Special Teams categories, 4 categories that represent Miscues, and also Success (which is winning percentage). Of the 120 FBS programs rated… CU ranks #120 and has a lot of ground to make up on #119 Idaho.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/cfb/tpi.asp

As historically bad as this is, some try to make the argument that Embree needs more time for his recruits to develop. They say that he needs to build a foundation of new players and restock the talent cupboard.

That is not happening. This staff’s great strength was supposed to be recruiting. Recruiting has failed.

Rivals ratings:

2011 transitional class got no bump from the hire: #74 (#12 in Pac-12)

2012 class that everyone points to: #36 (#8 in Pac-12)

2013 class that’s in progress: #64 (#11 in Pac-12)

They're all acting like we fired some coach who just got us 6 wins and a bowl.

Fact: If Jon Embree is 3-9, 4-8, 5-7 this year, he still has his job. Has nothing to do w/ Al's whining about them not believing in him... Fact is that nobody on that coaching staff knew how to coach or implement offenses/defenses much less make adjustments. Sorry, that's another tough fact for Al to handle..

Arguably, 2-10 might have even gotten him there.

If Embree doesn't get blown out nearly every week then he is probably here with ONE win

It is like everyone has forgotten the following:

They're all acting like we fired some coach who just got us 6 wins and a bowl.

The driving force behind Camp Embree was their emotional connection to having "one of our own" in the head coaching slot, particularly as a response to the alienation of Buff tradition during the Hawkins campaign. This intense emotional gratification is what is driving the intense emotional backlash from these same individuals. You can post the statistics all the live long day, stats that almost unanimously point to the termination as being the right move, but you will continue to be at a disconnect with this group because your stats do nothing to sway their emotion. They're upset, frustrated, and said, but what's done is done at this point. JE is gone and that chapter is done. Time to move on.

CJ seems to be following the same meme too. Did he and Klatt and Al all talk last night? The local media boo hooing is pissing me off. Bottom line is the product on the field this year was embarassing and got worse each week - a head coach has to take responsibility for and bear the consequences of that.

The driving force behind Camp Embree was their emotional connection to having "one of our own" in the head coaching slot, particularly as a response to the alienation of Buff tradition during the Hawkins campaign. This intense emotional gratification is what is driving the intense emotional backlash from these same individuals. You can post the statistics all the live long day, stats that almost unanimously point to the termination as being the right move, but you will continue to be at a disconnect with this group because your stats do nothing to sway their emotion. They're upset, frustrated, and said, but what's done is done at this point. JE is gone and that chapter is done. Time to move on.

This is sort of like why they tell you not to mix friendship and business. Empowering these boosters by letting them have some say in the Embree hire created a monster.

I wasn't listening to Big Al, but I was listening to CJ & Kreckman.

****ing CJ. First of all, Kreckman says the players in the back of the room were openly mocking Bohn during the presser. I'm sure that helped set the tone of the whole cluster****. All CJ says was, "huh".

Then Kreckman says that Big Al, Klatt and "a couple other former Buffs" - I'm assuming CJ was one - were in attendance, and Bohn was looking at them when he called upon former players to help the current players through this transition and help the new staff. CJ says, "I'm not falling for that".

What the **** CJ? Is your loyalty to Embree bigger than your loyalty to the program? What's done is done. Embree had his chance, he failed, and CU moved on. End of story. You can either continue to be a Buff or you can be a bitch, but you can't be both, imo. If these guys cared so much about the program - angry or not - they should have kept the current players in line during the presser, and they should be willing to help the program out while the new coach is identified and the new staff is assembled.

I know it's only been one day, and things will settle down for all of us, but that presser was a trainwreck, and it pisses me off to no end that there were guys who act like they speak for CU when they're on the Denver airwaves, and they not only allowed that cluster**** of a press conference go on, but likely contributed to it and enjoyed it too.

**** them.

Bohn just said on the radio that the difference in budget for hiring the new coach is "significant".

i.e. a LOT more money is available.

Mike Bohn said that the salary pool for the coach will be "significantly" different from the amount given to Embree and assistants. While that's not groundbreaking, it's nice to hear the AD publicly moving in that direction.

Arguably, 2-10 might have even gotten him there.

True, or even be competitive in a handful for games.

I think what is lost on the buffs4life crew and those critical of it only being 2 years is that the reason that it takes coaches time to be successful, (in most cases) is it takes several recruiting classes to get their players in and time to learn that system. However JE at a minimum was going to be bringing in new defensive coaches/coordinator AND an entirely new offense and who's to say those players he had recruited were going to fit that new offense/defense. In essence he was going to be hitting the reset button and restarting this rebuilding process 2 more years b/c his coaching schemes/styles was not translating well. It's not as if his recruiting classes were going to get better which was one of the knocks that's been said about the program...that we didn't have talent. Well tough to get kids interested in your program when you are getting your doors blown off by FSU.

This backlash from former Buffs in the media is why Bohn never should have caved to the B4L crowd. 1. They're not smart enough to pick the right candidate, and 2. Once they're in, they're entitled to stay regardless of performance. What we're seeing is a form of nepotism. Starts to feel like "Hire my son because I'm on the board of directors". Ok, good luck firing him unless you want to make your life miserable.

And Klatt, Al and CJ are trying to make his life miserable. It was the highlight of the season to hear (underscore hear) Bohn yelling at Klatt. I'm sure he was sick of being on the other end constantly having to hear B4L tell him what to do. Tables have turned. Nepotism is out.

I wasn't listening to Big Al, but I was listening to CJ & Kreckman.

****ing CJ. First of all, Kreckman says the players in the back of the room were openly mocking Bohn during the presser. I'm sure that helped set the tone of the whole cluster****. All CJ says was, "huh".

Then Kreckman says that Big Al, Klatt and "a couple other former Buffs" - I'm assuming CJ was one - were in attendance, and Bohn was looking at them when he called upon former players to help the current players through this transition and help the new staff. CJ says, "I'm not falling for that".

What the **** CJ? Is your loyalty to Embree bigger than your loyalty to the program? What's done is done. Embree had his chance, he failed, and CU moved on. End of story. You can either continue to be a Buff or you can be a bitch, but you can't be both, imo. If these guys cared so much about the program - angry or not - they should have kept the current players in line during the presser, and they should be willing to help the program out while the new coach is identified and the new staff is assembled.

I know it's only been one day, and things will settle down for all of us, but that presser was a trainwreck, and it pisses me off to no end that there were guys who act like they speak for CU when they're on the Denver airwaves, and they not only allowed that cluster**** of a press conference go on, but likely contributed to it and enjoyed it too.

**** them.

That's what pissed me off about Embree's presser. He did nothing to help unify the team or the fanbase. He helped stoke rebellion and discontent. Who knows what he said behind closed doors.

Hawk was awful, but at least he was positive in his outgoing presser. He set the stage for Embree, and took responsibility for his failure. Embree's presser was the opposite, IMO, and is going to make success at CU much more difficult in the short-term. The new coach and staff is going to have an immediate challenge to get those discontent players bought in.

This backlash from former Buffs in the media is why Bohn never should have caved to the B4L crowd. 1. They're not smart enough to pick the right candidate, and 2. Once they're in, they're entitled to stay regardless of performance. What we're seeing is a form of nepotism. Starts to feel like "Hire my son because I'm on the board of directors". Ok, good luck firing him unless you want to make your life miserable.

And Klatt, Al and CJ are trying to make his life miserable. It was the highlight of the season to hear (underscore hear) Bohn yelling at Klatt. I'm sure he was sick of being on the other end constantly having to hear B4L tell him what to do. Tables have turned. Nepotism is out.

I thought Bohn struggled at times in the presser, but I thought he put Klatt in his place pretty effectively.

Big AL just said Embree deserved it if you look at the record but if you look at other things it wasn't fair.

bohn is supposed to be on 104.3 at 5:00 w/ Al. We'll see what sort of brainbusters Al has for him.

he was on Mile High with Mac and Goodman. I thought it was a very good interview and it seems that they are backing Bohn and completely agree with the Embree firing.

Mike person just went 3rd person, but that time it was kind of awesome.

CJ: Whose decision was it to fire Jon Embree?

Mike: MIKE BOHN.

He was firm with it, and it was good to hear.

CJ seems to be following the same meme too. Did he and Klatt and Al all talk last night? The local media boo hooing is pissing me off. Bottom line is the product on the field this year was embarassing and got worse each week - a head coach has to take responsibility for and bear the consequences of that.

I received a number of emails between Friday night and Sunday afternoon saying Camp Embree was organizing with a consistent message and talking points. They were planning to use all their significant local media clout to do an absolute blast to try to rally support for Embree to remain as coach. Wouldn't surprise me if this was the reason Bohn made the call last night. It totally took them off guard and didn't give Camp Embree a chance to launch its big counter-punch (they only work weekdays on their sports talk shows). So now they're trotting out everything they planned to do and making it an attack on the decision. They're especially pissed because Bohn yanked the rug out from under them.

(Allegedly)

Back