What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mack Brown reportedly stepping down

No sure about the "better place" to live, Austin TX is really a great place, not typical TX at all. Been to FL Panhandle several times, not that great.

On board. Austin is a fantastic town. Tallahassee (sp?) sucks in ways that's difficult to describe.

Ok, I will give you that Austin is a cooler town than Tallahassee. Either way, Fisher is not heading to Uterus with what he has going in FL St.

Well they ****canned Terry Bowden, what two years removed from a 12-0 run, they dealt behind Tubby's back for Petrino, they ****canned Chizik one year removed from a NC. If there is a more fickle admin than Auburn, I don't know who it is. I would go to UT ASAP if I were Gus. They will surely pay more, and the only team he really has to worry about is OU, everyone else in the B12-4+2 pretty much sucks ass. It is a much easier conference to dominate than the SEC, and they just gave the clapper a 16 year run at major bank. What is there to decide if you are Gus? What bank to put the loot in?
Not sure how many of them are left. Everyone wanted Chizik gone, he couldn't win without Cam -- same thing would've happened at Texas.

Austin is a better place than a lot of the college cities where major powers are located.

If I were a big name coach I would be very interested in the UT job. Tremendous facilities, great recruiting in the state, lots of support, mega-bucks salary and a history of giving coaches long tenures.

Then I would relize that to be the coach there I would have to put up with Texans all the time. Especially bad would be putting up with the Texans who are the big donors and think they own the program and everyone in it. At that point I'd say no thanks.

The Texas job may actually be too good of a job.

You have everything you could want in terms of recruiting grounds, facilities, tradition, salary, support, and desirable place to live.

As a competitor, that removes challenge.

The challenge of that job is in the expectations and booster influence along with the demands on you.

This is going to attract the type of coach who likes the idea of being a celebrity, gladhanding with boosters, appearing on tv a lot, etc.

No matter how much you win, it's probably never going to reach the expectations fans have in terms of how much they think you should win considering all the advantages and resources at your disposal.

Mack Brown was the perfect type of coach for that situation. Maybe UT should target someone like Houston Nutt. He'd love it there.

Austin is a better place than a lot of the college cities where major powers are located.

If I were a big name coach I would be very interested in the UT job. Tremendous facilities, great recruiting in the state, lots of support, mega-bucks salary and a history of giving coaches long tenures.

Then I would relize that to be the coach there I would have to put up with Texans all the time. Especially bad would be putting up with the Texans who are the big donors and think they own the program and everyone in it. At that point I'd say no thanks.
You think Auburn doesn't have BMDs? Cam Newton's don't just grow on trees in Alabamy.

You have everything you could want in terms of recruiting grounds, facilities, tradition, salary, support, and desirable place to live.

The challenge of that job is in the expectations and booster influence along with the demands on you.

This is going to attract the type of coach who likes the idea of being a celebrity, gladhanding with boosters, appearing on tv a lot, etc.

No matter how much you win, it's probably never going to reach the expectations fans have in terms of how much they think you should win considering all the advantages and resources at your disposal.

Mack Brown was the perfect type of coach for that situation. Maybe UT should target someone like Houston Nutt. He'd love it there.
Agree. And that is the only reason I've seen given, for why Briles wouldn't be a good fit. Because aside from that, I think he'd clean up there.

You think Auburn doesn't have BMDs? Cam Newton's don't just grow on trees in Alabamy.

A lot of programs have this issue but at most of them if you win enough you can tell them to go stuff themselves. At Texas they don't understand that kind of talk.

Jimbo Fischer wins a NC this year at FSU and he can tell the worst of the boosters to take a flying leap. The other ones will back him. At Texas you win a NC and the boosters think they are responsible and you should have done it a year sooner.

I'm not saying that other coaches don't have to deal with this. To an extent all of them do even down to the low budget schools like the MAC schools and MWC schools. I just get the impression that at Texas it's worse.

I agree Nik there was something about the 10 best football coaching jobs, NFL, College no distinction and UT was #2. As you said the UT job comes with everything, so in turn there are no excuses

I've thought for sometime that Briles would be great there. Jimbo would do well there, wonder if he wants to move his kid though? I don't know enough about that situation mind you, just crossed my mind. Alot of names being tossed around, I've heard top candidates from several. Who knows who is accurate?

With almost of these jobs, you are hired to be fired. Very few major coaches get to leave on their terms for their destination job.

Texas may be one of those jobs where the least important part of the job is coaching ability.

What they need is someone who can hire excellent coordinators and assistants and then supervise them while being the face of the program. More than coaching they need to handle the media exposure, deal with the boosters and fundraising, work with school administration, etc.

They also have to be the recuiting closer and maintain the relationships with the HS coaches in the state.

Both Mack Brown and earlier Darrell Royal were very successful doing just this. Each started to slip as they lost their key assistants and failed to replace them with equal quality guys.

Not saying that they don't have to be good football coaches but at a place like Texas this is less important than it is at a school that doesn't have the top quality experienced assistants.

Texas may be one of those jobs where the least important part of the job is coaching ability.

What they need is someone who can hire excellent coordinators and assistants and then supervise them while being the face of the program. More than coaching they need to handle the media exposure, deal with the boosters and fundraising, work with school administration, etc.

They also have to be the recuiting closer and maintain the relationships with the HS coaches in the state.

Both Mack Brown and earlier Darrell Royal were very successful doing just this. Each started to slip as they lost their key assistants and failed to replace them with equal quality guys.

Not saying that they don't have to be good football coaches but at a place like Texas this is less important than it is at a school that doesn't have the top quality experienced assistants.
Yeah I agree, they more of a Chairman than a CEO (since that's the popular term).

See, this is what I'm talking about. Those four are absolute no-hopers. Not going to happen with any of them. UT is just going to look incredibly desperate by the time they finally get around to Briles. They should just go get Briles rignt now, but their ego won't allow that to happen. What a train wreck. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of jackasses.

Keep in mind that these "lists" are the creations of people in the media and anyone who owns a Twitter account. Pure speculation out of thin air, for the most part. Texas can't control any of that. It's only a train wreck if they get a crappy coach. I'm not saying that won't happen, but that's the final measure.

Jon Gruden has said he would be interested in the UT job if they came asking... that would probably be havoc on the Big-12

I would actually love to see Gruden at UT.

I'm not sure he would enjoy the college grind, and it would keep his dumb ass out of the announcers' booth.

And as Nik said earlier, this is a job where recruiting is probably not the most difficult part of the job. It kind of lines up well with Gruden from that perspective as it would not be a grind like it would be at many schools. He would like the glad handing and working with boosters, have first class everything, get whatever he needs from a resource standpoint and he would have the pick of recruits. It will basically come down to how well he could manage the organiztion and coach. Not sure of how good a coach he really is but I do think this would be the perfect job for him if he wanted to get into the college game.

While true... he probably couldn't pass up on the opportunity to basically have his own cable network.

Gruden loves being the center of attention. He is very good at glad handing and saying the "right thing" at the right time. He would be perfect for that job. They would pay him a boatload of money and give him a budget that would allow him to get the best assistants money can buy.

Even though he has been out of coaching the HS kids all know him and he would be a great closer at a place where recuruiting isn't that hard.

I would actually love to see Gruden at UT.

I'm not sure he would enjoy the college grind, and it would keep his dumb ass out of the announcers' booth.

I know a kid who was in one of his camps. says he invents new cuss words by the minute, not that all coaches don't use the f-bomb and such, but he takes it to a new level.

I know a kid who was in one of his camps. says he invents new cuss words by the minute, not that all coaches don't use the f-bomb and such, but he takes it to a new level.
xx

Last edited:
I'm waiting for Texas to announce that they have decided to resurrect Darrell Royal. It seems about as likely as some of the other names they are floating.

Gotta love the fact that Texas politics forced them to an 8-person committee. I have to say every time that I have worked on a committee of that size trying to make 1 decision, it has worked extremely well.

Gotta love the fact that Texas politics forced them to an 8-person committee. I have to say every time that I have worked on a committee of that size trying to make 1 decision, it has worked extremely well.

committeesdemotivator.jpg

meetingsdemotivator.jpg

Back