What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB 2019 Season Hype Thread

Can't wait to see Schwartz after becoming a man over the summer after being timid last season.

Going to be a great year to be a CU fan!

Yeah, while we can expect some improvement from everyone, I really think there are four things that will make this year special:
1) Our new Gatling Gun from deep - think Shane will really open up the floor and hit some key shots.
2) Bey will hopefully make a big jump this year.
3) I'm with you, along with Bey, I'm looking at Schwartz earning some key minutes and providing some offensive punch off the bench.
4) Battey - I hope he's healthy and ready. I'm looking forward to seeing him play, and hoping that he's a key contributor, if not starting later in the year.

MWIV should have an improved deep shot, but I think Shane, Bey, Schwartz, and Battey will really catapult this team solidly into the tournament. I'm trying to keep expectations reasonable, so NCAA bubble to one-and-done I think is fair. While an NCAA win would be nice, one-and-done still sets up very nicely for what these guys can do their junior year, and senior year. ... ....now just need to recruit to keep the train going.

I also look forward to seeing more consistency from Siewert this year. When he's on and giving us both a post presence and a deep threat it makes this offense scary good.

I also look forward to seeing more consistency from Siewert this year. When he's on and giving us both a post presence and a deep threat it makes this offense scary good.
Le'ts hope. Sounds like Tad wasn't happy with Dallas' progression this off season - not that he was blaming Dallas, just saying he lost his off season due to the surgery.

Plus... Battey!!!!

His progress the final month of last season was certainly eye opening.

God this team could be fun. Great to hear about the intensity of practice, especially after hearing about the lack of intensity during that 2016 year. The attitude seems to be great. If Strating developed into a Pac-12 player, then this frontcourt is surprisingly deep.

If Kountz or Parquet can contribute this year, Tad can go 11 or 12 deep. Shorten that to 8 by conference play and let's run

On the intensity issue, I had a chance to talk to Kim English a couple weeks ago and one of the first things he mentioned to me was how intense he wants practices to be. He wants each session to be an absolute BATTLE. I was taken back a bit on how serious he was on getting these guys into a dogfight each and every practice. He wants it to be so intense that when they get into a conference game, the mentality is how much easier it is than practice. Love it.

He told me a story on how he was just out recruiting a kid recently, and Kim asked the coach if he normally plays defense against the other team's best offensive player. The coach said no, that even though he's the best defensive player, the coach wanted to save his best guy's energy for offense, and Coach English just went off on him. That's just the mentality he brings to the team.

Quick English lesson
Buff iron sharpens iron
It November yet?

I am very excited about this team, partly because I believe the pieces coming in are better than the pieces departing and partly because of expected improvement of young returning players.

I like Gatling better than Collier. Collier averaged 7ppg last year and played D for the first time in his career. His lack of great lateral quickness still left his D lacking at times, but he was a calming force. I expect Gatling to be nearly as good from beyond the arc and much better driving to the basket on offense. I also expect he will be better at preventing defenders from getting in the lane. At the end of the day, I would be surprised if Gatling didn't average 9 a game and help shore up the perimeter D.

I like Battey as much as I liked George King - King could really light it up when he wanted to. He could also play D when he wanted to. Problem was that the want to wasn't always there. Battey and King are completely different players, but I think Battey will be every bit the match up problem and be a more consistently willing player (Whether on D, rebounding or hustle plays). I don't exect Battey to average nearly 13 a game like King, but he won't need to. I suspect he'll get 7-8ppg but improve CU's low post D and rebounding.

I'd be shocked if Bey didn't improve on a similar path to what Andre Roberson did in his time at CU. Andre went from 6.7ppg and 7.1rbg to 11.6 and 11.1. I suspect Bey goes from 6.1ppg and 5.1RBG to 11PPG and 9RBG.

I'd be shocked if Dallas Walton doesn't make similar statistical strides as Bey. The upside on Walton isn't being talked about much right now. But we're talking about a player who has played two full years of basketball in the last five. Hard not to grow every day when that is the case. Don't be surprised if at year end you see DW averaging 10ppg and 7rbg.

I'd be shocked if McKinley Wright doesn't make a jump similar to Spencer Dinwiddie or Alec Burks in their second years. Spencer went from 10ppg to 15.3PPG. Alex went from 17ppg to 20ppg. I fully expect Wright to go from 14.2 to 18.5PPG and for his assist to turnover ration to be close to 6 to 1 (up from 5 to 3).

I also expect Schwartz to make similar strides to Askia Booker who improved from 9.1ppg to 12.4ppg. That only puts Schwarts in the 7ppg range, but with CU's other weapons he won't need to score a ton more. More importantly, I expect his defense and aggressiveness to be vastly different.

The offensive improvements are easy to quantify, what we are all really going to love is just how good this team can be defensively. The biggest weakness is McKinley Wright due to his size....but he is such a competitor I bet he stands up well anyway.

Last edited:
I am very excited about this team, partly because I believe the pieces coming in are better than the pieces departing and partly because of expected improvement of young returning players.

I like Gatling better than Collier. Collier averaged 7ppg last year and played D for the first time in his career. His lack of great lateral quickness still left his D lacking at times, but he was a calming force. I expect Gatling to be nearly as good from beyond the arc and much better driving to the basket on offense. I also expect he will be better at preventing defenders from getting in the lane. At the end of the day, I would be surprised if Gatling didn't average 9 a game and help shore up the perimeter D.

I like Battey as much as I liked George King - King could really light it up when he wanted to. He could also play D when he wanted to. Problem was that the want to wasn't always there. Battey and King are completely different players, but I think Battey will be every bit the match up problem and be a more consistently willing player (Whether on D, rebounding or hustle plays). I don't exect Battey to average nearly 13 a game like King, but he won't need to. I suspect he'll get 7-8ppg but improve CU's low post D and rebounding.

I'd be shocked if Bey didn't improve on a similar path to what Andre Roberson did in his time at CU. Andre went from 6.7ppg and 7.1rbg to 11.6 and 11.1. I suspect Bey goes from 6.1ppg and 5.1RBG to 11PPG and 9RBG.

I'd be shocked if Dallas Walton doesn't make similar statistical strides as Bey. The upside on Walton isn't being talked about much right now. But we're talking about a player who has played two full years of basketball in the last five. Hard not to grow every day when that is the case. Don't be surprised if at year end you see DW averaging 10ppg and 7rbg.

I'd be shocked if McKinley Wright doesn't make a jump similar to Spencer Dinwiddie or Alec Burks in their second years. Spencer went from 10ppg to 15.3PPG. Alex went from 17ppg to 20ppg. I fully expect Wright to go from 14.2 to 18.5PPG and for his assist to turnover ration to be close to 6 to 1 (up from 5 to 3).

I also expect Schwartz to make similar strides to Askia Booker who improved from 9.1ppg to 12.4ppg. That only puts Scwarts in the 7ppg range, but with CU's other weapons he won't need to score a ton more. More importantly, I expect his defense and aggressiveness to be vastly different.

The offensive improvements are easy to quantify, what we are all really going to love is just how good this team can be defensively. The biggest weakness is McKinley Wright due to his size....but he is such a competitor I bet he stands up well anyway.
Wild expectations here.

20181003__04BZMBBw~2.jpg

Dallas lookin grown.

Can't wait to see Battey and I think the OCC schedule provides the opportunity to play quite a bit. But my biggest focus will be on Bey...How big of a jump will be make this season?

Can't wait to see Battey and I think the OCC schedule provides the opportunity to play quite a bit. But my biggest focus will be on Bey...How big of a jump will be make this season?
HUGE!

I fully expect Wright to go from 14.2 to 18.5PPG and for his assist to turnover ration to be close to 6 to 1 (up from 5 to 3).

If McKinley averages 18.5 and has a 6 to 1 AST/TO ratio he wins the Naismith and CU is a Final Four team. An assist to turnover ratio over 3 is considered great in college basketball. Pretty sure Monte Morris set the NCAA record a couple years back at just over 5. If he jumps from 1.86 (his ast/to ratio last year) to 3 that would be a huge leap and he'll most likely lead the PAC in that category... But hey, I like the positivity.

If McKinley averages 18.5 and has a 6 to 1 AST/TO ratio he wins the Naismith and CU is a Final Four team. An assist to turnover ratio over 3 is considered great in college basketball. Pretty sure Monte Morris set the NCAA record a couple years back at just over 5. If he jumps from 1.86 (his ast/to ratio last year) to 3 that would be a huge leap and he'll most likely lead the PAC in that category... But hey, I like the positivity.
OK, let me revise my one and only over zealous prediction, since clearly I was hopped up on too much Kool-aid....McKinnley right average 5.89 assists and 1.44 turnovers per game.....I'd like to say I had rounded for effect, 5.89 rounded to 6 and 1.44 rounded to 1, but lets be honest.....I just OD'd on the red stuff a little.
5gRGnZ

koolaidman.jpg

However, I am certain that all my other predictions are 100% accurate and don't reflect any bias or undue excitement about this team......

Really solid preview posted this morning. Since @RumblinBuff has retired, we've got to work harder to find this kind of info.

Really good and well understood description of the Buffs. But unless I missed it, no mention of Battey . . . will be a significant addition.

He says #5 in Pac-12. I think at least #4.

Really good and well understood description of the Buffs. But unless I missed it, no mention of Battey . . . will be a significant addition.

I agree he'll be a significant addition, but I will give a pass to any publication that doesn't include him in previews. He is overcoming some serious health scares. They're justified in having doubt that he may contribute. They're wrong, but justified.

I’d never seen or heard Evan Battey interviewed. I just watched his interview on the latest “Buffalo Stampede.” I was extremely impressed. The young man’s personality is infectious. I was a fan before. I am a huge fan now. Evan and Laviska are inspirational stories that the local media should tell.

Back