What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB 2019 Season Hype Thread

My son's basketball season starts today and then I'm going to the scrimmage.

Turning the page on which sport I'm focused on.
Football be like:
giphy.gif

Just don't think setting expectations at the NCAA bubble level does much good with the injury to Walton. He has his limitations, but was a competent shot alterer and post scorer in a way that no one else on the roster is. I'm eager to see how this team looks come January, but I think it's fair to say that what should have been a bubble team took a pretty big hit losing its starting center.

For me, I'd like to see an NIT team that might make a late season run, notching three or four wins against the top half of the conference, and taking care of business against the bottom third.

I keep wanting to counter this with reasons that we should be a bubble team, but I just can't. I think NIT team that makes a late run and scares some people is probably a realistic expectation. Post defense is a legit concern as Battey isn't known as a defender and Lucas.... well.... yeah....

8-2 AT WORST needs to be the goal for non-con. Honestly, I'm hoping for 9-1 but it's a young team and there's always one stupid non-con game that causes everyone to panic (Omar Strong says "what's up?"). Go 9-9 in conference and we're talking 17-11/18-10. That's a solid NIT team that could make some noise. The Pac is weak this year - if we can make some noise in conference we're a bubble team. But everything has to click just right. The good news is that college basketball is based on guard play, not bigs, and we have one of the best PG's in the country. I wasn't able to see the scrimmage but there were mixed reports on every other guard on the roster. If another one or two step up....

Step slow. Can’t shoot. Can’t jump. Can’t finish. Can’t guard.

Team looks like they were up all night running stadium steps while downing Jell-O shots.

10) Every shot Gatling took was really flat and short. Anybody know if that's just his regular trajectory?

I didn’t get to see the scrimmage, but what are the odds Tad gave the team their toughest conditioning practice the night before the Mines game? Maybe they actually were up all night running stadium steps (minus the Jell-O shots)? It would be an interesting idea. See what they can do being overly sore and tired, like end of season when it counts?

8-2 AT WORST needs to be the goal for non-con. Honestly, I'm hoping for 9-1 but it's a young team and there's always one stupid non-con game that causes everyone to panic (Omar Strong says "what's up?"). Go 9-9 in conference and we're talking 17-11/18-10. That's a solid NIT team that could make some noise. The Pac is weak this year - if we can make some noise in conference we're a bubble team. But everything has to click just right. The good news is that college basketball is based on guard play, not bigs, and we have one of the best PG's in the country. I wasn't able to see the scrimmage but there were mixed reports on every other guard on the roster. If another one or two step up....

Yeah I see 9-1 as what the team *needs* to do. The two big swing games for me are @SD and @UNM. San Diego is the type of team that always gives Boyle fits and on the road in what won't be a charged environment, you're counting on your own guys to bring the energy. New Mexico...they're going to be middle of the pack MWC but that's a really hard place to play. Wouldn't surprise me to see them split those games, but if they do, the loss needs to come at UNM.

CSU is almost always a barometer of where the team will be. Lose and you're looking at a 15-18 win team. Win, and things begin to look up. Going 8-2 at worst is the bare minimum for this team to go into conference play with the chance to make this a successful year given the circumstances around Dallas. I just don't see 7-3 giving them much of a shot at making the NIT and that's unacceptable.

I keep wanting to counter this with reasons that we should be a bubble team, but I just can't. I think NIT team that makes a late run and scares some people is probably a realistic expectation. Post defense is a legit concern as Battey isn't known as a defender and Lucas.... well.... yeah....

NO....... NO.NO.NO.NO.NO.NO!!!!!!

but yeah, agreed.

sigh.

crossing fingers hard we don't have a 3rd straight year of no Dance.

Yeah I see 9-1 as what the team *needs* to do. The two big swing games for me are @SD and @UNM. San Diego is the type of team that always gives Boyle fits and on the road in what won't be a charged environment, you're counting on your own guys to bring the energy. New Mexico...they're going to be middle of the pack MWC but that's a really hard place to play. Wouldn't surprise me to see them split those games, but if they do, the loss needs to come at UNM.

CSU is almost always a barometer of where the team will be. Lose and you're looking at a 15-18 win team. Win, and things begin to look up. Going 8-2 at worst is the bare minimum for this team to go into conference play with the chance to make this a successful year given the circumstances around Dallas. I just don't see 7-3 giving them much of a shot at making the NIT and that's unacceptable.
I'm pretty sure we struggle at @USD and @UNM and I'm chalking them up as losses at this point. Two road games against seasoned and pretty talented teams (FWIW - looking at the UNM roster I'm convinced they are full on cheating down there, but its ABQ so the NCAA probably doesn't give a rat's arse). The only other potential loss I see in non-con would be in the Diamond Head Classic, possibly UNLV.

10-2 and a pre-season tourney championship would lead me to believe we have something here. 9-3 and we're NIT bound. 8-4 or lower and we're looking at a 2017-2018 repeat.

I'm pretty sure we struggle at @USD and @UNM and I'm chalking them up as losses at this point. Two road games against seasoned and pretty talented teams (FWIW - looking at the
UNM roster I'm convinced they are full on cheating down there, but its ABQ so the NCAA probably doesn't give a rat's arse). The only other potential loss I see in non-con would be in the Diamond Head Classic, possibly UNLV.

10-2 and a pre-season tourney championship would lead me to believe we have something here. 9-3 and we're NIT bound. 8-4 or lower and we're looking at a 2017-2018 repeat.

Bey, Schwartz, Battey and Wright were all 4* players or highly regarded coming out of high school. If we can't make the tournament with this core group we never will.

Assuming Kin is gone after this year, I hope we overperform so we have a chance to go dancing while he’s here. He deserves it and we could use some momentum leading up to his departure. Please and thank you.

You think? Even the best guards at his size stayed all 4 years- Shabazz Napier rings a bell, and Kin is no Napier, not quite yet.
You do realize guys smaller than him have gotten drafted recently, right? He'll be a pro. No question.

I love love love McKinley Wright. Undersized PGs don’t leave early and get drafted. The only kind of comp drafted in the first round in the last 4 years is Terry Rozier. He’s listed at 6’1. Kin is listed at 6’0 but is shorter than that. Trey Young and Colin Sexton are both listed at 6’2, and Kin just isn’t at those guys level, as much as I love him.

You think? Even the best guards at his size stayed all 4 years- Shabazz Napier rings a bell, and Kin is no Napier, not quite yet.
Napier was a great college player. He didn't and doesn't have elite quickness or athleticism though.

I love love love McKinley Wright. Undersized PGs don’t leave early and get drafted. The only kind of comp drafted in the first round in the last 4 years is Terry Rozier. He’s listed at 6’1. Kin is listed at 6’0 but is shorter than that. Trey Young and Colin Sexton are both listed at 6’2, and Kin just isn’t at those guys level, as much as I love him.
Why are we talking first round. Guys leave early and go second or undrafted all the time. Tyler Ulis 5'9" and early 2nd round.

Why are we talking first round. Guys leave early and go second or undrafted all the time. Tyler Ulis 5'9" and early 2nd round.

Because only first round guys automatically get guaranteed deals. Tyler Ulis is on a two way deal with Chicago right now, and for the average person is getting paid well, but is making diddly in the realm of NBA players.

Ulis was first-team All-American at Kentucky and won the Bob Cousy Award. If Kin does that this year then I think we’ll all happily send him off to the draft.

And probably sign a 5 star PG recruit immediately after.

I really hope this happens. Guess we’ll see. Fingers crossed!

This San Diego team we play at next week is no joke. Looking really good at Washington right now. Tied with under 14 minutes left in Seattle.

Well now.... Buffs starting non-conference 4-1 after the Portland win. Close loss at San Diego, a blow out win at Air Force. We must take care of csu on Saturday!! Show up at 1pm for the Buffs.

New Mexico trip still planned for us on Dec. 11th. Tickets and hotel bought. Game is on ESPN 2. We'll be sitting a few rows behind the Buffs to support as best as possible! Anyone else taking that trip yet!??

Go Buffs!

How is the attendance problem fixed? The showing this year has been embarrassing, specifically the students. Pathetic.

Back