What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB Game Thread - Pac-12 Tourney: Buffs vs. the D!*k Chards

What the hell are we gonna do next year when White is gone??? Tad better work on his Xs and Os.

Losing White sucks, but to be honest, I think we could be better next year. So, first off, hats off to our players (if we don't see them play at CU again) for their commitment to CU and playing for us. However, I'm glad to see Fortune graduate. Again, nothing against him as a person - fine player...but I couldn't stand watching him play. XJ - while I defend him, I agree with someone (maybe Goose or Buffnik) who said he may be adversely affecting King's play. XJ leaving I think opens up King to be more aggressive next year (hopefully in a good way, bc I feel he played too much selfish ball two years ago). If Namon Wright can be a consistent shooter/scorer, great. Tory hopefully becomes more assertive around the basket next year, and I think he will. Losing Wes sucks. I know some of you didn't like him, but I think losing a big body on defense hurts. But this can be overcome if we develop Brown and Peters to be good on-ball defenders - pressure the opposing team. And then we have our incoming freshmen - I say we are solid NIT next season, but hopefully I'm wrong and our freshmen and Wright are even better than advertised and we crash the tournament. I wasn't vociferous about it, but I did express some doubt about this year due to losing Scott on and off the court. Unfortunately, my nagging fears turned out to be true. Hopefully I'm right about next year and we're just fine.

Next years team is counting on a better Dom Collier and an eligible Bryce Peters! If those two go AWOL, then it will be .500 or lower.

Starting 5 is:

Collier
Brown
King
Siewert
Miller

Good starting 5, but must have the next 5 step up:

Peters
Walton
Akyazili
Wright
1 or 2 of the new recruits

Honestly not a bad team if they develop!

Relax and enjoy the NIT. I predict we play at BYU to start the tourney.

I'm not sure when the nba draft is, but between now and then White needs to start pounding protein shakes and lifting heavy. He's got everything you'd want but still gets pushed around a little bit. The guy is going to make some NBA GM look like a freaking genius.

Friend that's a big AZ fan just texted me a tweet by someone that said Miller told White he's going to be a great NBA player for a long time. The last two games have vaulted White in my personal opinion into the late first round. Who knows, maybe if he does well in workouts and measures well, he gets into mid? Guy's a stud.

Next years team is counting on a better Dom Collier and an eligible Bryce Peters! If those two go AWOL, then it will be .500 or lower.

Starting 5 is:

Collier
Brown
King
Siewert
Miller

Peters
Walton
Akyazili
Wright

Nah. We'll start at least 1 freshman, maybe 2.

Friend that's a big AZ fan just texted me a tweet by someone that said Miller told White he's going to be a great NBA player for a long time. The last two games have vaulted White in my personal opinion into the late first round. Who knows, maybe if he does well in workouts and measures well, he gets into mid? Guy's a stud.
He just dominated a game where everyone knew that he was the only player on CU that Zona needed to worry about. He is a special player and is getting better as he gains experience against talented players. There is still lots of upside and he's already freakishly good.

Starting 5 is:

Collier
Brown
King
Siewert
Miller

Peters
Walton
Akyazili
Wright

I say starting give is Dom, Namon, George, Tory and Lucas. Off bench is Peters, Brown, Schwartz and Battey. While I would love if AK just exploded and became all-conference, he's not going to...we need to have two freshmen step up next year Stick to a 8-9 man rotation.

I love Dom still as a Denver kid, and I think he will improve next year. Again though, I'd love it if he exploded and became an all-conference player. But he likely won't, and I don't think next year's team depends on him. It can't because we know who he is by now. If he can become a steady ball handler and consistent shooting threat, great. Just get some better on-ball defense, improve consistency of shooting, and I think we can be okay.

He has a lot of Steph Curry in him! Great handle, Magic Johnson vision, smooth body control, understands angles, and above average shot. Agree with the strength issue that needs improvement , but he is a late developer like Steph. He will be solid player. Only thing Miller will ever say and do that I can get behind, otherwise he is a slimeball! Has to be doing something crooked to get all these recruits.

He has a lot of Steph Curry in him! Great handle, Magic Johnson vision, smooth body control, understands angles, and above average shot. Agree with the strength issue that needs improvement , but he is a late developer like Steph. He will be solid player. Only thing Miller will ever say and do that I can get behind, otherwise he is a slimeball! Has to be doing something crooked to get all these recruits.

I am talking about D White and not Dom! Just to be clear

Starting 5 is:

Collier
Brown
King
Siewert
Miller

Peters
Walton
Akyazili
Wright

That turned out well the last time. . ..

If Dom is our starting pg, we are ****ed. Simple.

Good thing we have so many back up. Point. Wait.

Oh.

Good recruiting tad

Nah. We'll start at least 1 freshman, maybe 2.

START?! Schwartz takes over for Dom or Namon? Battey over Siewart? I agree that we need two of the guys to be solid contributors, but I really hope, and expect, they will not start. Of course, if they earn it, as opposed to an upperclassman not playing well, more power to them.

START?! Schwartz takes over for Dom or Namon? Battey over Siewart? I agree that we need two of the guys to be solid contributors, but I really hope, and expect, they will not start. Of course, if they earn it, as opposed to an upperclassman not playing well, more power to them.

I think Bey is the guy who will crack the starting lineup. Gonna be like Dre was as a frosh.

Tad will sacrifice some offense for defense, rebounding & toughness.

You can't really hope that siewart and tory are the starting front court?

You want dom starting at pg?

Guess you don't want to win many games

Hey, if any of the freshmen crack the starting five - great. But, no, I don't EXPECT it to occur. I would rather hope that older players that have been in the program rise up and win starting jobs. With that said, yes, I do expect Tory start. I think Stewart could open up the floor nicely; just needs to add some strength and defense. If Bey takes up that spot by WINNING the job - hey great...again, just not expecting him to.

As for Dom - yes, while I no longer expect him to be a borderline all conference player, I do think he is a solid player. He can shoot and has handles. He just is not a good creator for himself or others, and he turns it over more than desired. He's not horrible though, so yes, I do expect my senior guard to win the starting job next season. If Bryce or Deleon win it instead, great. Maybe Schwartz impresses enough that Tad goes Namon and Schwartz...but I say Dom and Namon in backcourt.

I'm just personally pumping the brakes on freshmen expectations. I think Schwartz can be special, and hope a lot for the others too. But I don't think any will be making all freshmen teams, and I think our older players have talent and potential enough to hold off talented freshmen. All pure speculation of course. I do think we'll be fine next year (NIT and competitive, hopefully more)

I wasn't vociferous about it, but I did express some doubt about this year due to losing Scott on and off the court. Unfortunately, my nagging fears turned out to be true. Hopefully I'm right about next year and we're just fine.

In a classic case of what might have been, imagine this team with one more year of Josh up front and Derrick in back. Maybe someday we have a combination like that.

You weren't paying attention two years ago in 14-15?

Scott was out close to half the season with a bad back, and played hurt when we was out there. They finished the non-con something like 7-5. It was obvious early 14-15 would be a long season. This year pre-season I really thought this would be Tad's best roster. They were deep and experienced, and also had White who ended up being 1st team all conference, something no player on the 14-15 team would come close to. It really felt like this was the year it would come together.

Scott was out close to half the season with a bad back, and played hurt when we was out there. They finished the non-con something like 7-5. It was obvious early 14-15 would be a long season. This year pre-season I really thought this would be Tad's best roster. They were deep and experienced, and also had White who ended up being 1st team all conference, something no player on the 14-15 team would come close to. It really felt like this was the year it would come together.

They didn't give defensive effort for a lot of the season and didn't fight for loose balls or rebounds.

Some positives for next year:

Dom - he gave that effort from the jump, but his injury and then the recovery process coincided with the slide
King - his offensive struggles as he tried to find his shot & roll hurt he rest of his game, but he figured it out and became an active rebounder & defender
Tory - never a guy who played passive basketball (his biggest issue is still dumb fouls)
Brown - effort guy who committed to defense from the start
Siewert - lightbulb came on and he became a good rebounder who was diving for loose balls as the season progressed
Peters - high energy guy who attacks, with his main issues on defense being mental mistakes
Tommy - no one questions his energy and effort (but can he make a shot?)

Add to that Namon, who was a high energy slasher and serious plus rebounder as a frosh at Mizzou.
Then we've got a wildcard RS-Freshman in Walton who might give us the 7 ft rim protector we've been missing.

Coming in, Bey's game looks like what Dre and Kawhi brought to the court in college. Glue guys do wonders for chemistry.
Battey seems to be one of those versatile, big personality guys hat fit in well while creating matchup advantages.
Schwartz has the most developed offensive game of any freshman since J40. Mature games can play well early.

When I look at what returns, I think we have a roster that will buy into TadBall. Defend, rebound, gain extra possessions, attack the basket. With that, I think there's better 3pt shooting than we had back in 2011-12 and 2012-13 with King, Namon, Siewert, Dom and Brown all being guys who should be over 33% from deep.

My three biggest concerns for 2017-18:

1) Do we have someone who can create offense for others with the drive & dish game?
2) Can we defend the post better than this season by not allowing so many deep catches/ entries?
3) Who will step up as leaders? (I think that Tory is most likely because I don't think King & Dom have the personality for it.)

They didn't give defensive effort for a lot of the season and didn't fight for loose balls or rebounds.

Some positives for next year:

Dom - he gave that effort from the jump, but his injury and then the recovery process coincided with the slide
King - his offensive struggles as he tried to find his shot & roll hurt he rest of his game, but he figured it out and became an active rebounder & defender
Tory - never a guy who played passive basketball (his biggest issue is still dumb fouls)
Brown - effort guy who committed to defense from the start
Siewert - lightbulb came on and he became a good rebounder who was diving for loose balls as the season progressed
Peters - high energy guy who attacks, with his main issues on defense being mental mistakes
Tommy - no one questions his energy and effort (but can he make a shot?)

Add to that Namon, who was a high energy slasher and serious plus rebounder as a frosh at Mizzou.
Then we've got a wildcard RS-Freshman in Walton who might give us the 7 ft rim protector we've been missing.

Coming in, Bey's game looks like what Dre and Kawhi brought to the court in college. Glue guys do wonders for chemistry.
Battey seems to be one of those versatile, big personality guys hat fit in well while creating matchup advantages.
Schwartz has the most developed offensive game of any freshman since J40. Mature games can play well early.

When I look at what returns, I think we have a roster that will buy into TadBall. Defend, rebound, gain extra possessions, attack the basket. With that, I think there's better 3pt shooting than we had back in 2011-12 and 2012-13 with King, Namon, Siewert, Dom and Brown all being guys who should be over 33% from deep.

My three biggest concerns for 2017-18:

1) Do we have someone who can create offense for others with the drive & dish game?
2) Can we defend the post better than this season by not allowing so many deep catches/ entries?
3) Who will step up as leaders? (I think that Tory is most likely because I don't think King & Dom have the personality for it.)

Frustrating thing was the open shots were there, they just couldn't hit them. Even last night when 'Zona went on a run we were still getting open shots. I think we also may have set some sort of record for layups missed in a season.

Tad needs to let Grier have more influence on the offense. New ideas are needed.

Frustrating thing was the open shots were there, they just couldn't hit them. Even last night when 'Zona went on a run we were still getting open shots. I think we also may have set some sort of record for layups missed in a season.

Tad needs to let Grier have more influence on the offense. New ideas are needed.

I think Grier is a defensive guy. If it's time to shake things up, the shake up needs to be that the balance of power among the assistants shifts.

Grier - defensive coordinator (he had that position at Gonzaga & the results he had there speak for themselves)
Kearney - offensive coordinator (Brey's right hand man in developing that efficient motion offense at Notre Dame)

Back