What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

Montez - Shanault

This duo belongs high on a list of favorite CU QB-WR combos.

Stewart - Westbrook
Liufau - Richardson
Klatt - Sypniewski / Klopfenstein
Hagan - Prichard
Hawkins - McKnight

Montez keeps playing his way towards the top of my favorite QB/WR(TE) tandems. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he sets a CU record for most passing/running yards in a single season. He already has the single game record.

History is in the making in 2018

Detmer - anyone he ever threw a ball at

Should the season end like it began, Montez is on pace for about 3300 yards in the air, 325 on the ground, 27 passing TDs, and 12 more rushing TD’s.

That would leave a mark on the CU record books.

Should the season end like it began, Montez is on pace for about 3300 yards in the air, 325 on the ground, 27 passing TDs, and 12 more rushing TD’s.

That would leave a mark on the CU record books.
I'm taking the over on 325 rushing. I'll set the O/U at 425

You know, they keep talking about Montez going to the Manning camp and getting one on one time with Peyton and Eli.
I can honestly say that I think this was a major key in his huge leap forward this year. He appears to be more relaxed than he's
ever been, and he's going through his progressions faster and cleaner than ever before.

Add in the fact that he's sliding and not going head first against linebackers every 3 downs and you could safely make a point
for him being the most improved player on the team this year.

You know, they keep talking about Montez going to the Manning camp and getting one on one time with Peyton and Eli.
I can honestly say that I think this was a major key in his huge leap forward this year. He appears to be more relaxed than he's
ever been, and he's going through his progressions faster and cleaner than ever before.

Add in the fact that he's sliding and not going head first against linebackers every 3 downs and you could safely make a point
One has to be impressed with the overall maturity of Montez both on the field and in interviews. Hard to tell what has had the most impact Roper or the Mannings, but he has done everything right this season that people were bashing him for last year. If he leaves after the season, we will almost certainly be depressed with the step back at that position, but I believe he will do well at the next level. He couldn't do any worse than what was on display for the Broncos last night.

One has to be impressed with the overall maturity of Montez both on the field and in interviews. Hard to tell what has had the most impact Roper or the Mannings, but he has done everything right this season that people were bashing him for last year. If he leaves after the season, we will almost certainly be depressed with the step back at that position, but I believe he will do well at the next level. He couldn't do any worse than what was on display for the Broncos last night.
I think the Manning camp was a wake up call that everything Roper was trying to instill in him was the right stuff. However much he was "in" before, he embraced it after that camp, IMO.

I think the Manning camp was a wake up call that everything Roper was trying to instill in him was the right stuff. However much he was "in" before, he embraced it after that camp, IMO.
It definitely didn't hurt him any. Montez has exceeded what I thought he'd do already. Still has room to grow too.

Well, sure! Everything one does in the present has a bearing on the future. :cool:

If Montez does well in those games especially on the road, I think it would increase the likeness of Montez leaving school after this season for the NFL. Having the Nebraska, USC, and Washington game tapes to show NFL scouts his poise in those games will help his case for leaving early.

I have been thinking about what could happen, and although he is definitely an NFL Talent, I think that he comes back for his Senior Season because a good season this year will just help build up the hype, which will help his stock next year take him to the top of the draft. I do not think he can get enough hype and run in the rest of this year to get where he deserves. Also, with Shenault gaining steam, they can help each other get to the top of the draft. If guys like McSorley and Grier chose to come back for their seasons, that seems to angle towards Montez coming back next year.

What I want to see is him continue his trending upward while winning the PAC12 South, and there is no doubt that the Buffs are back on the Rise and 2019 could be super special. Then after next year, we could have at least 2 First Round picks in Montez and Shenault, and maybe a few more.

I have been thinking about what could happen, and although he is definitely an NFL Talent, I think that he comes back for his Senior Season because a good season this year will just help build up the hype, which will help his stock next year take him to the top of the draft. I do not think he can get enough hype and run in the rest of this year to get where he deserves. Also, with Shenault gaining steam, they can help each other get to the top of the draft. If guys like McSorley and Grier chose to come back for their seasons, that seems to angle towards Montez coming back next year.

What I want to see is him continue his trending upward while winning the PAC12 South, and there is no doubt that the Buffs are back on the Rise and 2019 could be super special. Then after next year, we could have at least 2 First Round picks in Montez and Shenault, and maybe a few more.
Grier and McSorely had the issue that Mayfield, Jackson, Rosen, Darnold, and Allen were ALL projected as potentials first round picks. Not to mention Rudolph and Falk.
Would not be the case this season.

Grier and McSorely had the issue that Mayfield, Jackson, Rosen, Darnold, and Allen were ALL projected as potentials first round picks. Not to mention Rudolph and Falk.
Would not be the case this season.
Yeah, Grier would have been the 5th or 6th best QB in last year's draft (maybe lower). This year, he'll be in the QB1 conversation unless Herbert really separates. If Montez comes back, he'll at the very least have Tua to compete with for QB1 in the 2020 draft. There's also the possibility of Montez not actually getting better or *gasp* regressing, like we've seen with other QBs who chose to come back for their Senior seasons.

Yeah, Grier would have been the 5th or 6th best QB in last year's draft (maybe lower). This year, he'll be in the QB1 conversation unless Herbert really separates. If Montez comes back, he'll at the very least have Tua to compete with for QB1 in the 2020 draft. There's also the possibility of Montez not actually getting better or *gasp* regressing, like we've seen with other QBs who chose to come back for their Senior seasons.
Lock was viewed as a 2nd rounder last year and he has moved up into the first round this year too.

Isn't everyone's future predetermined?

Couldn't be further from the truth.
A predetermined future would imply that our choices are made for us before they are even presented to us.

Variable change is real, as is accountability and agency.

Montez leaving this year would be like drafting Paxton Lynch, who would do that again?

Montez after his senior year is more like drafting Carson Wentz with raw, but developing talent and competitiveness. Roper and the Mannings, as well as maturity are for sure the reasons for the position he finds himself in. You can tell he realizes how bright his future can be!!!

Yes, you need to look at the potential class you are competing with, but NFL Teams are going to start drafting more and more first round QB's because of the 5 year salary guarantees. It helps you manage your whole team, especially building a defense.

Montez leaving this year would be like drafting Paxton Lynch, who would do that again?

Montez after his senior year is more like drafting Carson Wentz with raw, but developing talent and competitiveness. Roper and the Mannings, as well as maturity are for sure the reasons for the position he finds himself in. You can tell he realizes how bright his future can be!!!

Yes, you need to look at the potential class you are competing with, but NFL Teams are going to start drafting more and more first round QB's because of the 5 year salary guarantees. It helps you manage your whole team, especially building a defense.
Lol, so one more year in college turns Montez from a complete first round bust to a potential NFL MVP candidate?

Oh stop. One more year in school turns him from a massive NFL bust to potential generational talent?

Just admit your posts are heavily influenced by a selfish desire to see him back in 2019.

Back