What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

I know it drives some fans nuts to see him get 9 yards instead of the first down but I have liked his decision making this year in terms of taking hits.

He is getting his rushing yards and in a few cases he has stuck his nose in their and pushed for extra yardage but for the most part he isn't trying to take on LBs one on one. He has picked his spots to run and done a good job of using the sidelines or the slide to not get hit. Chev has helped by calling plays that don't require him to be a fullback like they did with Sefo.

This week the long TD run was timed and executed perfectly, never got close to touched but on his other planned runs he didn't take a lot of abuse either.
Even though I've been frustrated with his "early slides", you make a good point...I'd rather he slide than potentially get hit and injured...no one behind him is even close to his level of effectiveness.

That yards per attempt number has to be the best by far of the hcmm era if it holds up

Saban does not run up the score. He *gasp* runs the offense with the backups.
Bingo.

If Saban was running up the score, Tua wouldn't have played 1 more game than Montez yet have 32 fewer attempts.

Also, it's not like Hurts is throwing all that much in the 2nd half. He runs the full offense in H1 when he gets in, but H2 is very conservative. Hurts only has 37 pass attempts this year to Tua's 88. Combined, that's 5 more attempts than Montez with 1 more game played.

Yeah, if he's going to be picked in the 1st 2 or 3 rounds, he's got to go. That's the point of the exercise.
If he has a third round projection he absolutely needs to come back and try to get in the first round in 2020. Top 2 I agree he needs to go though.

Montez' LT is learning on the job. I'm afraid that Sherman is going to really struggle against more elite pass rushers on the schedule ahead (Based on watching every pass-pro situation vs UCLA on tape), he will have a fundamentals breakdown several times per game for awhile.

As an aside, Fillip got a series here and there vs UCLA and looked really good.

We better game plan to make sure Montez doesn't revert to bailing out of the pocket to his right at the two second count.

Montez' LT is learning on the job. I'm afraid that Sherman is going to really struggle against more elite pass rushers on the schedule ahead (Based on watching every pass-pro situation vs UCLA on tape), he will have a fundamentals breakdown several times per game for awhile.

As an aside, Fillip got a series here and there vs UCLA and looked really good.

We better game plan to make sure Montez doesn't revert to bailing out of the pocket to his right at the two second count.
ASU is ranked 3rd in the nation in sacks (18). The vertical passing game will be limited. The Buffs had better scheme to get the ball out quickly. Lots of quick hitches and slants would be in order. And Montez will need to be at the top of his game in terms of pre-snap reads to avoid telegraphed slants/hitches, else they turn into pick-six opportunities.

Montez - Shanault

This duo belongs high on a list of favorite CU QB-WR combos.

Stewart - Westbrook
Liufau - Richardson
Klatt - Sypniewski / Klopfenstein
Hagan - Prichard
Hawkins - McKnight

Montez keeps playing his way towards the top of my favorite QB/WR(TE) tandems. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he sets a CU record for most passing/running yards in a single season. He already has the single game record.

History is in the making in 2018

Montez - Shanault

Stewart - Westbrook
Liufau - Richardson
Hagan - Prichard
Hawkins - McKnight

Montez keeps playing his way towards the top of my favorite QB/WR(TE) tandems. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he sets a CU record for most passing/running yards in a single season. He already has the single game record.

Moschetti - Graham

ASU is ranked 3rd in the nation in sacks (18). The vertical passing game will be limited. The Buffs had better scheme to get the ball out quickly. Lots of quick hitches and slants would be in order. And Montez will need to be at the top of his game in terms of pre-snap reads to avoid telegraphed slants/hitches, else they turn into pick-six opportunities.
Going behind their sack numbers, 14 of their total 18 thus far came against UTSA (9) and OSU (5) so I’ll slow my roll a bit on the danger they pose. UTSA offensive efficiency ranking is 127th while OSU offensive efficiency ranking is 67th. For context, the Buffs are ranked 24th in offensive efficiency.

The OL is sack prone, and it's not really 1 guy to be fair. Some are coverage sacks (but less than under Lindgren).
Montez helps the OL in 2018 a bunch compared to 2017 in that he's willing to step up rather than bail out as was the habit last year. OT's who are getting beat on the outside rush still have a chance of pushing the hard charging rush to the outside if Montez steps up.

If Roper and Chiv stay where they are, I can see Montez not considering the NFL so he can have a huge last year of winning and development. We have a lot of weapons coming back and a more experienced OL.

Also, don't make me think about our team without him at QB yet. Please...

Montez - Shanault

Stewart - Westbrook
Liufau - Richardson
Hagan - Prichard
Hawkins - McKnight

What about CU's all-time leading receiver? Spruuuuuuuce!

Montez - Shanault

Stewart - Westbrook
Liufau - Richardson
Hagan - Prichard
Hawkins - McKnight

Klatt - Hackett/McCoy was fun to watch.

Back