What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

Interesting dynamic on the team captain thing. I thought Montez not getting selected as a captain was a clear message from his teammates that he needed to step up. And rather than get all butt hurt, he clearly got the message and has become the true leader on this team. His maturity level has blown up since last year. He may not be a captain, but maybe he’s the General.

I'll say I haven't been super impressed w/ years 1 and 2 for Montez. Sure he's had some moments of flash, but I've always thought of him as lacking leadership and maturity. In his first two years, it seemed he never got past his 2nd read. Well, it's time I give credit where credit is due. He's been a stud through the first four games this season in each of these aspects and it shows on his stat line. I never thought of him as an NFL quarterback. If he maintains his current trajectory, I now think he could be gone after this season. While I'd love for him to return for his senior year, I'll be cheering for him to go high in the draft.

Can't wait so see what he's going to do the rest of the season.

The thing is, we lose so few starters next year, 2019 could be a genuinely special year if Montez came back. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that doesn't happen, and I wouldn't blame him for it.

The thing is, we lose so few starters next year, 2019 could be a genuinely special year if Montez came back. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that doesn't happen, and I wouldn't blame him for it.
Offense loses JMac, Winfree, McMillian, to go with Gamboa, Lewis, Worthington, Fisher, and Javier on defense. I think that’s it in terms of starters. Not the worst case scenario, but RB, S, and pass rusher are going to be question marks, and filling JMac’s shoes is going to be harder than people think. Plus, 2019 schedule looks to be pretty tough. Nubs and Air Force at home along w SC, UW and Stanford, and then Oregon, Utah, and Wash State on the road. Those are at least 5 games that CU is probably dogs in. If Montez has a lights out rest of the year, I’m not sure his stock is going to increase in 2019.

Offense loses JMac, Winfree, McMillian, to go with Gamboa, Lewis, Worthington, Fisher, and Javier on defense. I think that’s it in terms of starters. Not the worst case scenario, but RB, S, and pass rusher are going to be question marks, and filling JMac’s shoes is going to be harder than people think. Plus, 2019 schedule looks to be pretty tough. Nubs and Air Force at home along w SC, UW and Stanford, and then Oregon, Utah, and Wash State on the road. Those are at least 5 games that CU is probably dogs in. If Montez has a lights out rest of the year, I’m not sure his stock is going to increase in 2019.
I can't disagree with those potentially being issues.

Nixon to RB, WR is stacked - next man up, and I'm way more comfortable with the LB position with Callier, Landman, and Wells emerging. We need one more there.

S and NT are serious concerns. I will absolutely give you that.

A college degree is worth thousands and thousands of dollars! Get your degree Steven!!

Not sure where I saw it, but I’m near certain Mac or someone with the program said that they have all players on a 3 year track to graduate.. I get the sarcasm but just wanted to say.

Not sure where I saw it, but I’m near certain Mac or someone with the program said that they have all players on a 3 year track to graduate.. I get the sarcasm but just wanted to say.

Montez is a senior in school right now. He’s on track to graduate this year.

A college degree is worth thousands and thousands of dollars! Get your degree Steven!!

Don’t care to see if this is an ubl but that first round draft pick is worth millions and millions.

If Montez gets top 4 round draft grade he should consider leaving. Rarely does QB stock increase after 5th year...and we'll be alright.
He is, however, the only junior I can think of at risk of leaving for the draft.
I could also see Noyer transferring. Seems like Lytle has become the backup.

If Montez gets top 4 round draft grade he should consider leaving. Rarely does QB stock increase after 5th year...and we'll be alright.
He is, however, the only junior I can think of at risk of leaving for the draft.
I could also see Noyer transferring. Seems like Lytle has become the backup.

I don't ever see Noyer being the starter for this team short of multiple injuries. He's a good enough depth guy but not as talented as some of the others guys who are younger.

He has used his RS year though so he has 2 to play 2 remaining. Unless he is ready to graduate in 3 years it will cost him one of those years if he transfers to a BCS school. I'd bet there are a lot of FCS schools though that would love to have him.

When Montez turns pro next year, QB at CU will be in good hands. Shenault in wildcat...fakes and throws to Laviska...breaks three tackles...touchdown!!!

Mayfield made his Senior year worth it. :whistle::D
agree ^^ Montez can come back next season and win the Heisman.

edit:: Has there ever been a team that has 2 players at the Heisman podium at the same time??? Just Sayn

Last edited:
I know it drives some fans nuts to see him get 9 yards instead of the first down but I have liked his decision making this year in terms of taking hits.

He is getting his rushing yards and in a few cases he has stuck his nose in their and pushed for extra yardage but for the most part he isn't trying to take on LBs one on one. He has picked his spots to run and done a good job of using the sidelines or the slide to not get hit. Chev has helped by calling plays that don't require him to be a fullback like they did with Sefo.

This week the long TD run was timed and executed perfectly, never got close to touched but on his other planned runs he didn't take a lot of abuse either.

The other upside for Montez, most of the teams that need QB's this year are good teams. San Fran may need a quality player in case Jimmy G doesn't come back at 100%. New York needs a replacement for Manning. New England needs a QB to groom for the future. Dallas may want to replace Dak due to lack of performance. San Diego is going to need a QB to groom for the future. Denver is going to need a QB for the future. Miami could look for a replacement to Tannehill. Atlanta may want to start grooming a QB for the future as well.

Currently on pace for 3200+ yards, 36 total TD's and 8 int's. If he has a BIG game against USC or UW, expect the momentum to pick up dramatically.

Back