What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez

One addition that seems true of both college and pro QBs. We often see that the second year as a starter is a bit tougher than the first. Defensive Coordinators are good at their jobs. Once they have film and time to really analyze it, they are able to take away the stuff that was most easy for a young QB and throw more of what he struggled with at him. The good QBs are able to adjust. The ones that with limited games or poor film study habits end up being flashes in the pan.

Montez, I thought, passed a big test on that against Nebraska. They pressed his receivers, loaded the box to not give him a supporting run game, didn't allow him to scramble out of the pocket, and brought a lot of pressure. Instead of rushing throws, forcing an interception, or getting frustrated, he stood tall in the pocket and picked them apart for 350 yards. He couldn't have done that in 2017.
Spot on. Roper is a QB whisperer.

How were we lucky enough to land him anyway? He's got a hell of a resume. Was he just excited to work with Montez? He's been an OC and QB Coach in the SEC.
I’ve thought the same. Perhaps he sees an oppy to become OC at some point. Then springboard to HC somewhere.

I also think being the QB coach to a first round QB would be a major feather in anyone's cap.
He already has that with Eli Manning, but yes, another one with Montez would obviously add to it.
Will be the OC here perhaps, if MM bolts and DC is shoved into the HC spot. Hopefully in a few years from now.
This is the obvious scenario, and one that I would fully endorse in 2020 if things with Mac work out that way.

He already has that with Eli Manning, but yes, another one with Montez would obviously add to it.

This is the obvious scenario, and one that I would fully endorse in 2020 if things with Mac work out that way.

Roper is more likely to be head coach next year than DC. Probably in 2020 too.

What I’ve seen from him is when the defense does what it supposed to according to chalkboard football, he knows exactly where to go. It’s when the defense mixes it up he struggles.
He is much better at getting his feet in the right place, thus lining up his body for a good throw. He still needs to work on this, while going through his progression while staying in the pocket. I think we saw great progress in this against Nebraska. Last year he would have been spinning out into the outside rush. We would have seen double digit sacks and missed those big plays. If he is still here next year (pray the OL improves) we could be in the mix for the playoff (when do they expand to 8 teams).

It is entirely possible Roper is a great position coach and a poor coordinator.

I'd rather just hang onto Chev as long as we can so this conversation doesn't need to be serious. If this team can go into USC at 5-0 and win it, the sky is the limit.

Spot on. Roper is a QB whisperer.

07b1f0691ca58d8af7db74584c002fb2.jpg

It is entirely possible Roper is a great position coach and a poor coordinator.
Maybe he likes being around the game but doesn’t want the responsibility of coordinator/HC. All I want to do is be a high school running back coach when I get out of the military, even though now every time I sign up to be an assistant coach for my son’s leagues, I end up being name as the all star coach or head coach in the event the actual head coach can’t make it to game. I literally could not have less desire.
Thus, I can’t totally get it if Roper just wants to hang where he is.

If I had to guess he is one of those coordinators who has way too many plays and it gets too complicated for his players, outside of the QB, to execute consistently.

I like Allen as a person and hope he does well. He worked his way into having the opportunity, nothing given to him. Seems like a good person and has a ton of physical talent.

Hope I'm wrong but I see him as a bust in the NFL. Few of the best QBs in the NFL have big arms, what they have is accuracy and quick releases and decision making.

Allen also isn't going to be helped by going to a bad organization like the Bills. I don't see them as a place he can develop his way past his weaknesses. He won't have the talent around him to help him through the rough spots.
who is Josh Allen and who gives a sh*t?

Maybe he likes being around the game but doesn’t want the responsibility of coordinator/HC. All I want to do is be a high school running back coach when I get out of the military, even though now every time I sign up to be an assistant coach for my son’s leagues, I end up being name as the all star coach or head coach in the event the actual head coach can’t make it to game. I literally could not have less desire.
Thus, I can’t totally get it if Roper just wants to hang where he is.
I see what you did there.

Is he a co-favorite with Herbert for all-conference honors?

At this point you would have to think so.

If Shenault continues to make spectacular plays a lot of people are going to see highlights with Montez getting him the ball.

I think Darth is right. The top three has really separated themselves though.

Probably so. Don't see Herbert falling off in his performance anytime soon. His stats may fall in league compared to the OOC but he will still be better than solid.

Back