What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
Raises!? The record does not support raises. Paying a top salary for a top defensive coordinator to come in is just fine. You simply have to pay for someone who's had good success. Might also need to pay well for the other defensive assistant depending on who it is and what they have produced. No conference wins is not results that earned raises.

Raises!? The record does not support raises. Paying a top salary for a top defensive coordinator to come in is just fine. You simply have to pay for someone who's had good success. Might also need to pay well for the other defensive assistant depending on who it is and what they have produced. No conference wins is not results that earned raises.
Well it's a good thing that all assistants performed at the same level. And the bolded does not match up. Should you pay someone for performance or not? Lindgren had a hell of a year as a OC and his offense put the team in a position to win, but he doesn't deserve a raise? He has very little impact on what happens on the defensive side of the ball.

Well it's a good thing that all assistants performed at the same level. And the bolded does not match up. Should you pay someone for performance or not? Lindgren had a hell of a year as a OC and his offense put the team in a position to win, but he doesn't deserve a raise? He has very little impact on what happens on the defensive side of the ball.

Lindgrens offenses failed to out score any of his PAC12 counterparts this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindgrens offenses failed to out score any of his PAC12 counterparts this season.

While the defense gave up 38, 59, 36, 56, 40, 38, 38, 44, 38. Is that an point you are actually going to attempt to use? Yes some were defensive touchdowns, but that's such a weak point to use. That's nearly 39ppg given up PER GAME. For Lindgren's offense to have accomplished your point they would have to be roughly #8 in the nation in scoring offense.

Technically, our offense scored more points than Utah's. The pick six put them over the top for the game. I understand your point, though.

Go ahead and explain

Paul Kwiatkowski (UDub): 485k
Mark Banker (Ore St): 505k
Jeff Casteel (Zona): 450k
Jeff Ulbrich (UCLA): 475k
Justin Wilcox (USC): 800k
Don Pellum (Oregon): 400k
Art kaufman (Cal): 550k
Keith Patterson (ASU): 450k

Does CU really need to pay Gibbs 200-300k more than our peers for a D-Coordinator? At 700k he would be the 2nd highest paid DC in the conference. #3 is paid 150k less. That's not being competitive with our conference, it's blowing everyone else out of the water. No need. You pay that type of salary for Durkin, not Gibbs

Last edited:
Paul Kwiatkowski (UDub): 485k
Mark Banker (Ore St): 505k
Jeff Casteel (Zona): 450k
Jeff Ulbrich (UCLA): 475k
Justin Wilcox (USC): 800k
Don Pellum (Oregon): 400k
Art kaufman (Cal): 550k
Keith Patterson (ASU): 450k

Does CU really need to pay Gibbs 200-300k more than our peers for a D-Coordinator? At 700k he would be the 2nd highest paid DC in the conference. #3 is paid 150k less.
Depends on what his other offers are and what his value is. What if TT offers $625K? Boulder costs more to live in than Lubbock, so we'd have to offer that plus more to get him.

Dude, come on. Just because one person gets a raise on the staff doesn't mean you have to pay the others more. Do you get a raise when someone else in your office does? Why do people also think the regents are anti-football? They approved the facilities BEFORE the 1/3rd was raised, and there was a big difference in the target and current money raised at the time. The regents are paying RG a lot, I'm sure they will have a lot of issues with paying a coach what his value is :rolling_eyes: Of course RG is going to have to sell, that's a big part of his job, but I do not see the regents or donors having an issue with paying someone when the goal is championships, this isn't a Mike Bohn run football AD.
I'm speaking hypothetically based on some assertions that we are going to pay the DC upwards of a million. And, dude, yeah, if you pay the DC even $700K, then, yes, you do change the entire salary structure. Believe me now or believe me later.

Depends on what his other offers are and what his value is. What if TT offers $625K? Boulder costs more to live in than Lubbock, so we'd have to offer that plus more to get him.

Then we move on. LOL at Gibbs as the 2nd highest paid DC in the conference. But I guess it wouldn't surprise me at CU since Bohn grossly inflated the staff's salaries

Pay Gibbs 500k. Right around where he deserves

I'm speaking hypothetically based on some assertions that we are going to pay the DC upwards of a million. And, dude, yeah, if you pay the DC even $700K, then, yes, you do change the entire salary structure. Believe me now or believe me later.
A coach should be paid what his value is, if a superstar DC is hired he deserves to be paid significantly more.

Then we move on. LOL at Gibbs as the 2nd highest paid DC in the conference. But I guess it wouldn't surprise me at CU since Bohn grossly inflated the staff's salaries
There isn't a single scenario that makes you happy. Must suck to be a miserable person. Of course you would bitch about CU paying a DC top dollar after bitching about how cheap CU has been.

A coach should be paid what his value is, if a superstar DC is hired he deserves to be paid significantly more.

There isn't a single scenario that makes you happy. Must suck to be a miserable person. Of course you would bitch about CU paying a DC top dollar after bitching about how cheap CU has been. Where are you getting $700K from? Talk about bitching to bitch.

:lol:

I'm not really going to go further into this rabbit hole.

I'd be happy with Gibbs at 500-550k. BTW @bcs- 900k for David Gibbs?

I'll be honest, what salaries we pay our staff is not that big of a concern for me. Obviously if we vastly overpay, than that is not smart management. But we need to have an administration committed to winning and if we have to overpay a bit to get who we want because it is a competitive environment, because yes Boulder is more expensive than other places, and because Colorado is currently less attractive than many other B5 schools, than so be it.

I trust RG to manage that part right. I just hope we get one of our top choices. Period.

I'd rather take a shot at trying to steal Wilcox for $1M per than paying Gibbs $700k, unfortunately we're in a position now where CU needs to overpay to land these type of coaches.

The only way Gibbs winds up in Lubbock is if we don't offer him. Even then, he may stay at UH over going there. Texas Tech's defense is a mess. Some of the point totals they gave up-31 to Iowa State, 48 to Baylor, 42 to Oklahoma, 34 to Texas, 82 to TCU. All things being equal, I think any poster on this board who says they'd rather fix the mess in Lubbock than come here and improve things slightly and get a large amount of credit if our 2015 season meets the expectations of everyone on this board is either nuts or lying.

I'm not really going to go further into this rabbit hole.

I'd be happy with Gibbs at 500-550k. BTW @bcs- 900k for David Gibbs?
if its what the market dictates, then yes, obviously I'd like him for yes, but who would you be happy with outside of gibbs durkin and pendergast?

I'd rather take a shot at trying to steal Wilcox for $1M per than paying Gibbs $700k, unfortunately we're in a position now where CU needs to overpay to land these type of coaches.
A lot of USC fans are not happy with Wilcox and would much rather have Pendergast back...fwiw

The only way Gibbs winds up in Lubbock is if we don't offer him. Even then, he may stay at UH over going there. Texas Tech's defense is a mess. Some of the point totals they gave up-31 to Iowa State, 48 to Baylor, 42 to Oklahoma, 34 to Texas, 82 to TCU. All things being equal, I think any poster on this board who says they'd rather fix the mess in Lubbock than come here and improve things slightly and get a large amount of credit if our 2015 season meets the expectations of everyone on this board is either nuts or lying.

To add to your point, the TTU defense has a low ceiling for just how fixable it is. Kingsbury is going to run an air raid offense, which will do the defense no favors.

For f8ck sake. CU doesn't pay enough. No, CU pays too much. Coaches don't deserve it.

Whoever tales this job is taking a risk. There are other jobs out there we are competing with. Maybe CU has to over pay right now? Out of all the things to bitch about

From phone

We shouldn't lose a DC to TT. Defense is an afterthought there and isn't here under MM.

@bcs- If we're paying 900k then our pool greatly increases. Keep in mind Pat Narduzzi at MSU wasn't even making 700k+ until this year

We shouldn't lose a DC to TT. Defense is an afterthought there and isn't here under MM.

@bcs- If we're paying 900k then our pool greatly increases. Keep in mind Pat Narduzzi at MSU wasn't even making 700k+ until this year
and my point is who are you going to get, that would make you happy?

For f8ck sake. CU doesn't pay enough. No, CU pays too much. Coaches don't deserve it.

Whoever tales this job is taking a risk. There are other jobs out there we are competing with. Maybe CU has to over pay right now? Out of all the things to bitch about

From phone

The disconnect comes where big pay bumps do not lead to higher expectations. No doubt CU has to overpay right now, but there is a balance.

If we're paying any DC 700k+ than we should expect at a minimum a top 50 defense in year 1

Back