What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*** Official 2014 Colorado @ Wyoming Basketball Game thread ***

2 more than tonight. Our football team would've beat them tonight, Gehrke knocking down 3s everywhere.

To quote Aaron Rodgers-"R-E-L-A-X". Wyoming is a bad matchup for us....and not just in Laramie. We had trouble putting them away last year in Boulder (I think we won by 8). Glad that we don't have to play them for a while.

Oh I agree. Its still November, and I wasn't expecting a win today anyway. But, there are times when this team is way too easy to defend.

You know those low budget sports instructional films like "Basketball: How to Run a Zone 101"? We looked like the practice dummies on display against it.

See how they react after being embarrassed, then ill hold off on panic. I'm sorry 33 points is pathetic at any level, my son had 26 two nights ago.

I like Ski, but he is a total head case at this point. Then, Dom coming in and hitting 2 quick 3s must have really had him pressing. At that point, didn't Tad pull Dom for quite awhile? Again, I think we needed somebody willing to really bang inside and wish we'd seen more Miller (if he played at all - espn3 was not very good and, oddly, had different 'broadcasts' on the computer and Apple TV)

See how they react after being embarrassed, then ill hold off on panic. I'm sorry 33 points is pathetic at any level, my son had 26 two nights ago.

Unfortunately this game has made me recall youth basketball, too. My zone held a team to zero once in a half when I coached after the coach bailed out. So there's that, but they were 12 year olds.

Notes and over reactions from the game:
1. CU's guard play is very very bad. The group (not just Ski) hasn't been great offensively and likely won't be, but this game showed that they aren't really all that good defensively either.
2. As Boyle has said, CU doesn't have a defensive stopper.
3. The team seems intent on either shooting at the rim or shooting the three. Doesn't work when you don't have three point shooters. I didn't see one player being assertive in taking mid-range shots even when they were open. They always hesitated then shot.
4. When another team gets aggressive with CU, CU gets passive. Except for Ski who gets frantic. There isn't anyone with an attitude on this team, hasn't been since Spencer went down last year. Both of the last two summers Boyle keeps saying he likes the way his team competes. Clearly he is saying this hoping someone will hear and actually START competing.
5. I am really glad Boyle is spending a lot of energy recruiting transfer guards.
6. The offense still has a lot of stagnant standing around. The speed of the Wyoming cuts without the ball made CU look like a bunch of sloths by comparison.
7. Scott will be a solid pro player, but he is not pro ready and still panics under the double team and still reverts to playing like freshman Jelly when people get physical with him. Someone should tell him that he needs to stop asking for a foul to be called and start trying to break the glass with a hard dunk every time he is anywhere close to the rim. Guys will get out the way really fast if he does that, even if it does cost him a couple offensive fouls. I can't imagine scouts seeing the tape from this game and recommending Scott be a pick.
8. This team looked identical against Arizona, Pittsburgh and Wyoming. There is no doubt if something doesn't change fast other teams will start to repeat what those teams have done and this could turn into a long season.
9. So happy the Buffs have a soft schedule for a bit to try and fix things.

I find it hilarious how everyone on here was just stroking themselves after the Auburn game, how great we were, the total package, how fun they are to watch, etc ... When in actuality Auburn was missing their leading scorer, have very little talent besides him and hit a serious shooting slump in the second half, only partially because of our defense. The first half was much more emblematic of who we are as team right now.

All 3 games this season expose the same issues we've had for 3 years: besides Spencer, we don't have a single guard that the other team has to game plan for. It is a gigantic hole in Tad's recruitment resume. Maybe Dom turns into a legit threat but we have ZERO other dangerous perimeter players. Ski has regressed like no player I've ever seen. JHop, Talton, Fletcher ... Opposing coaches would be ecstatic forcing those guys to beat you. They simply won't, with any kind of remote consistency. And if anyone thinks we'll go anywhere besides the NIT with this giant gaping hole in our game plan you're deluded. Great defense only gets you so far.

7. Scott will be a solid pro player, but he is not pro ready and still panics under the double team and still reverts to playing like freshman Jelly when people get physical with him. Someone should tell him that he needs to stop asking for a foul to be called and start trying to break the glass with a hard dunk every time he is anywhere close to the rim. Guys will get out the way really fast if he does that, even if it does cost him a couple offensive fouls. I can't imagine scouts seeing the tape from this game and recommending Scott be a pick.
I've been feeling this way for awhile, and glad someone's had the stones to say it. Scott's a fantastic player and is worth the price of a season ticket to watch in person, but I've struggled with seeing the transition to effective play in the pro game. Hope I'm wrong.

That being said, you're about to get publicly flogged by some folks on here....

It definitely makes @Georgia a near must win game for CU. Can't afford to go 0-2 in their only two true road games in OOC.

The upper classmen need to play like it. Just not going to win many games when Ski, Scott, Talton and XJ go 7/30. All with bad games. They played like freshmen today, that had never been in a hostile environment before.

Re: Josh Scott, is particularly disappointing. If you are a NBA prospect, you can't get shut down by the Wyoming's of the world. There are no NBA level talents on this Wyoming team.

I've been feeling this way for awhile, and glad someone's had the stones to say it. Scott's a fantastic player and is worth the price of a season ticket to watch in person, but I've struggled with seeing the transition to effective play in the pro game. Hope I'm wrong.

That being said, you're about to get publicly flogged by some folks on here....

In this camp too. Best of luck, Kane. I got flogged for having the audacity to predict Spencer would be picked in the 40s. Hang in there, there's no telling what the NBA early-entry mafia may bring your way.

I find it hilarious how everyone on here was just stroking themselves after the Auburn game, how great we were, the total package, how fun they are to watch, etc ... When in actuality Auburn was missing their leading scorer, have very little talent besides him and hit a serious shooting slump in the second half, only partially because of our defense. The first half was much more emblematic of who we are as team right now.

All 3 games this season expose the same issues we've had for 3 years: besides Spencer, we don't have a single guard that the other team has to game plan for. It is a gigantic hole in Tad's recruitment resume. Maybe Dom turns into a legit threat but we have ZERO other dangerous perimeter players. Ski has regressed like no player I've ever seen. JHop, Talton, Fletcher ... Opposing coaches would be ecstatic forcing those guys to beat you. They simply won't, with any kind of remote consistency. And if anyone thinks we'll go anywhere besides the NIT with this giant gaping hole in our game plan you're deluded. Great defense only gets you so far.

We scored 90 points against Auburn. Why would we not feel good about that.

And cville is killing it in this thread. Making me feel better about that beatdown

Mine is only 11 but the team scored 71. I started teaching my son just the simple ****, he asked, and he took over after, I don't have to tell him much. I see too many players, not talking about CU, that don't know basic basketball. 3 quarters of the team, I don't coach but I help when I attend a practice and I'm asked, most of them didn't know what triple threat was. I've been teaching them how to run off screens, using pivot feet, looking up court on a break etc. Just really, really basic stuff. The coach has them running like all kinds of crap and they don't know how to set a screen. Defeats the purpose to me. You see it at every level, frequently.

It's difficult to score 9 points in a half. There are so few single-digit halves by D1 teams each year that it's a truly elite level of ineptitude.

I believe Northwestern scored 29 last year in a game. Outside of that, our 33 has to be up there as one of the most pathetic displays of offense in major conference basketball in the 21st century. We set offense in basketball back about 116 years tonight to those 33-27 games we used to play on 1898.

I believe Northwestern scored 29 last year in a game. Outside of that, our 33 has to be up there as one of the most pathetic displays of offense in major conference basketball in the 21st century. We set offense in basketball back about 116 years tonight to those 33-27 games we used to play on 1898.

Those balls were lopsided and you couldn't dribble them either. Speaking of Northwestern, I think they might still play with one of those old-school balls.

What a complete beatdown, It wasn't just the Buffs playing badly, Wyoming just crushed us at every turn. I don't even want to know how many dunks they had. Even their walk-ons beat up on our rotation players. Did anyone hear Tad's comments after the game?

Back