What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I think Nebraska should go defense with this hire and then bring in a pro style OC with experience developing big, physical offensive lines. Seems like a spread guy like frost will always struggle against Ohio state, Michigan and Wisconsin.
Like Bo Pelini as HC and Callahan as OC? I like it.

I think Nebraska should go defense with this hire and then bring in a pro style OC with experience developing big, physical offensive lines. Seems like a spread guy like frost will always struggle against Ohio state, Michigan and Wisconsin.
Agree. They should be trying to emulate Wisconsin as well. Never going to out recruit Ohio State or Michigan, and they are in an area of the country that they can be successful recruiting the big OL kids.

Still can't believe Doug Nussmeier hasn't gotten a HC gig yet. He'd be near the top of my list if Mac were ever to leave.

If he were to leave I would look at P5 coordinators or G5 coaches.
Norvell
Leavitt
Morris
Montgomery
Strong
Frost
Wilson
Aranda (although fading quickly)
Vanables
Cristobal

Or try to poach a P5 guy who isn't as happy as it may seem or wants to get back somewhere (obviously more long shots)
McElwain
Holgorsen
Gundy
Mullen

Norvell
Leavitt
Morris
Montgomery
Strong
Frost
Wilson
Aranda (although fading quickly)
Vanables
Cristobal

Or try to poach a P5 guy who isn't as happy as it may seem or wants to get back somewhere (obviously more long shots)
McElwain
Holgorsen
Gundy
Mullen
Maybe Aranda ends up being thrown to the side by the elites, leaving him available for the Buffs. I would love him as a hire, although, I know nothing about his recruiting background.

Would also love Venables, but he's getting an elite job at some point.

You think Gundy would make a move from Stillwater to Boulder? I know you said long shot, but that feels like a less than zero percent chance. CU doesn't have an Uncle Pickens.

Maybe Aranda ends up being thrown to the side by the elites, leaving him available for the Buffs. I would love him as a hire, although, I know nothing about his recruiting background.

Would also love Venables, but he's getting an elite job at some point.

You think Gundy would make a move from Stillwater to Boulder? I know you said long shot, but that feels like a less than zero percent chance. CU doesn't have an Uncle Pickens.
I wouldn't think so but he doesn't get along with Pickens and has expressed interest in jobs the last few years, I'm not sure if that is just to get more money or if he is really interested in getting out.

Are we seriously talking about MM leaving at the end of this season? Unless he rights the ship and we finish 10-2, he's not getting poached this year. Last year was great but it looks unlikely that we'll see a repeat of that performance. What larger school is going to steal a coach who wins 7-ish games?

Agree. They should be trying to emulate Wisconsin as well. Never going to out recruit Ohio State or Michigan, and they are in an area of the country that they can be successful recruiting the big OL kids.
Last five recruiting classes...

5 (current)

Are we seriously talking about MM leaving at the end of this season? Unless he rights the ship and we finish 10-2, he's not getting poached this year. Last year was great but it looks unlikely that we'll see a repeat of that performance. What larger school is going to steal a coach who wins 7-ish games?
It's a dumb conversation, to be sure, but whatever. If he gets the Buffs to 8 wins this year, I could see teams inquiring, though. It won't be Tennessee or a program looking to make a splash hire, but there could be offers. After 2018 season is more likely, IMO.

Folks will make sure turnaround is real unless it’s a target school like GaTech, Vandy, etc. MM should have waited as well.

Frost is going to have his choice of jobs including some much better opportunities than Nebraska.

Unless Riley makes a huge turnaround I think kNU goes after Frost. For him it will be a tough choice.

He knows what the challenges are in Stinkoln with recruiting, with a conference dominated by 2-3 of college footballs superpowers, and of the unrealistic expectations of the corn fans. Balanced against that is his sense of being a part of the school and his loyalty to what the program was.

In the end I think he is smart enough to choose to go elsewhere leaving the corn fans both crying and being even less happy with who they do eventually hire.

No. Hell no.
Solid argument.

He's originally from the west coast. He's been an OC at Fresno State, Washington, Alabama, Michigan, and Florida so plenty of big boy coaching experience, but he's still only 46 years old. He's coached 5 QBs that were drafted into the NFL. Coached Jake Locker into a top 10 NFL pick. Made Marc Bulger a pro bowler with the Rams which is a minor miracle. Had 2 QBs at Michigan State set school records for passing yards.

Solid argument.

He's originally from the west coast. He's been an OC at Fresno State, Washington, Alabama, Michigan, and Florida so plenty of big boy coaching experience, but he's still only 46 years old. He's coached 5 QBs that were drafted into the NFL. Coached Jake Locker into a top 10 NFL pick. Made Marc Bulger a pro bowler with the Rams which is a minor miracle. Had 2 QBs at Michigan State set school records for passing yards.

His career since Michigan State has been pretty bad. That "big boy" coaching experience includes his current gig at Florida. Have you watched Florida football over the last three years? If you have, I am wondering why you would even want to hire him as OC, let alone HC.

He also was pushed out at Bama and the one year at Michigan was a non-bowl team. That is a bad trajectory at several different schools.

If the nibbletts call, Frost will come home. I'm not entirely convinced anybody can do much better there than Riley. It's turning into a roided up version of Wyoming. It's hard to sell a kid on a program in the middle of nowhere when you can't beat the likes of Northern Illinois. At home. The facilities and tradition are nice, but there are 20 other schools that have the same stuff in more attractive locations.

His career since Michigan State has been pretty bad. That "big boy" coaching experience includes his current gig at Florida. Have you watched Florida football over the last three years? If you have, I am wondering why you would even want to hire him as OC, let alone HC.

He also was pushed out at Bama and the one year at Michigan was a non-bowl team. That is a bad trajectory at several different schools.
Jake Locker was a top 10 pick, Marc Bulger was a pro bowler, AJ McCarron set school records for TDs en route to a national championship. Those all happened after his Michigan State job.

Florida hasn't had a qb for years but that's also a McElwain team and offense. They've been ok. He's been hired by some really good coaches at marquee programs which I think is a decent endorsement.

Strange anyone would think MikMac is going to get poached.
Norvell- I like this one.
Leavitt- No thanks.
Morris- I like this one.
Montgomery- No thanks.
Strong- No thanks.
Frost- No thanks.
Wilson- Intriguing.
Aranda (although fading quickly)- I like this one
Vanables- No thanks, great DC, IMO will be a lousy HC.
Cristobal- No thanks.

McElwain- been there done that, not gonna happen
Holgorsen- No way
Gundy- Possible, he and Uncle Boone do not see eye to eye.
Mullen- Possible, he is not likely to last at MSU, but I think he will have other options
I agree MikMac is not likely to get poached.

Jake Locker was a top 10 pick, Marc Bulger was a pro bowler, AJ McCarron set school records for TDs en route to a national championship. Those all happened after his Michigan State job.

Florida hasn't had a qb for years but that's also a McElwain team and offense. They've been ok. He's been hired by some really good coaches at marquee programs which I think is a decent endorsement.

He will never enjoy the talent advantages he had at Alabama the rest of his career. The fact Nick Saban decided to move on after only two years and rolled the dice with Lane Kiffin says a lot.

111, 100, 107, 81 are his scoring offenses the last four years and the last ranking is merely in-progress. That is objectively very bad for two programs whose talent level never dips nearly that low.

Strange anyone would think MikMac is going to get poached.

I agree MikMac is not likely to get poached.
Probably not, but definitely not a crazy thought. If he takes CU to back to back bowl games with a ton of coach of the year trophies behind his desk his name will no doubt pop up.

Still can't believe Doug Nussmeier hasn't gotten a HC gig yet. He'd be near the top of my list if Mac were ever to leave.
I don't know much about him but the fact that he's been a QB coach/OC for 5 different programs since 2008 and has never had a HC opportunity feels like a pretty big red flag. How poor does someone have to interview, or how bad at their job must the perception be to keep jumping high profile program to high profile program ever few years and never getting a promotion?

MM is good enough to get offers at a bunch of schools he wouldn't want to coach at while not being a big enough name to get an offer from a school he might actually consider. That's good for us.

Were big enough that we shouldn't be giving someone their first head coaching gig. Too risky to the downside.

If we hire too young we stand a better chance of being fleeced. Like Sacky is alluding to, MM could get picked off for the right gig ($$$).

I like the idea of an older seasoned guy like Leavitt. Not too many stops left. Knows what he's doing.

Having Scott Frost as a coach next time we play in Lincoln is a fun a idea. You know, because, they covet him...

I will never understand the mentality that CU (or really any school) needs to artificially shrink its candidate pool.

I don't know much about him but the fact that he's been a QB coach/OC for 5 different programs since 2008 and has never had a HC opportunity feels like a pretty big red flag. How poor does someone have to interview, or how bad at their job must the perception be to keep jumping high profile program to high profile program ever few years and never getting a promotion?
I don't know whether he was pushed out at Alabama or left on his own, but Michigan made him one of the highest paid assistants in the country so that may partly explain why he left. Brady Hoke was fired after Nussmeier's first season at Michigan so that explains his short tenure there.

Concerns about why he hasn't gotten a HC gig yet are valid, but the same can be asked of Brent Venables who lots of people seem to have a semi for.

Back