What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I don't know whether he was pushed out at Alabama or left on his own, but Michigan made him one of the highest paid assistants in the country so that may partly explain why he left. Brady Hoke was fired after Nussmeier's first season at Michigan so that explains his short tenure there.

Concerns about why he hasn't gotten a HC gig yet are valid, but the same can be asked of Brent Venables who lots of people seem to have a semi for.
Venables was with OU for 13 years, 8 of which he spent as DC, before leaving for Clemson because Mark Stoops came back to OU. That's a far cry from 5 different programs in 10 seasons. Venables scoring defenses at Clemson have all been in the top 25, with the exception of his first year (4, 12, 18, 7, 24, and 48).

That Clemson defense has me wondering if Venables might not be best suited as a DC. Fast, strong, disciplined and they arrive in a bad mood.

I don't know much about him but the fact that he's been a QB coach/OC for 5 different programs since 2008 and has never had a HC opportunity feels like a pretty big red flag. How poor does someone have to interview, or how bad at their job must the perception be to keep jumping high profile program to high profile program ever few years and never getting a promotion?

With his resume there has to be a reason he hasn't gotten a HC job. It may be that he is selective or doesn't want to be a HC, more likely there is something there that raises a red flag.

Some guys can be very good assistants and not have it as a HC (Paging Dan Hawkins, Mr. Hawkins)

Nothing other than the fact that sometimes, guys are more suited to be coordinators. Wade Phillips comes immediately to mind, as does Josh McDaniels.
Agreed, but those guys have played their hands as HC while Venables hasn't. Then again, maybe he likes focusing only on defense and not every aspect of being a HC and that's why he hasn't taken a HC job yet. He pretty much has it made as DC of Clemson, so maybe he's all set there.

Venables was with OU for 13 years, 8 of which he spent as DC, before leaving for Clemson because Mark Stoops came back to OU. That's a far cry from 5 different programs in 10 seasons. Venables scoring defenses at Clemson have all been in the top 25, with the exception of his first year (4, 12, 18, 7, 24, and 48).
No doubt he's a great DC, but you'd think a guy who has been that good that long would have gotten a HC gig by now. That he hasn't moved around much doesn't change the fact that he's been a DC since 1999 without getting a HC job - Lane Kiffin has been hired 4 f**king times as a HC since 2007

If MM were to leave, I would have Jim Leavitt on speed dial.

Leavitt? Fool me once sham on you, fool me twice shame on me. The guy out and out ****ed us and he should never be allowed in the door again. Whether he did it for personal gain or not, your word means something or it doesn't.

Leavitt? Fool me once sham on you, fool me twice shame on me. The guy out and out ****ed us and he should never be allowed in the door again. Whether he did it for personal gain or not, your word means something or it doesn't.

What word are you talking about? His contract? The one with the buyout provision? Dude, if college coaches can be fired at any moment, I'm not gonna hold it against them if they leave for greener pastures.

Your avatar fits.

It's a job, he's a professional. He was offered more money, plain and simple. We had chances to raise his pay and we didnt. We perhaps didnt expect the market to go that high for a DC. Oh well, bad on us.

The guy left the program in far, far better shape than he found it. He's proven that he can get the job done.

Your avatar fits.

It's a job, he's a professional. He was offered more money, plain and simple. We had chances to raise his pay and we didnt. We didnt expect the market to go that high for a DC. Oh well, bad on us.

The guy left the program in far, far better shape than he found it. He's proven that he can get the job done.

Yeah, but he took our ****in Pepsi!

With his resume there has to be a reason he hasn't gotten a HC job. It may be that he is selective or doesn't want to be a HC, more likely there is something there that raises a red flag.

Some guys can be very good assistants and not have it as a HC (Paging Dan Hawkins, Mr. Hawkins)

I think its two things-One, he's probably super picky in terms of what he looks at. He's said publicly that he believes his job is better than the majority of head coaching gigs out there, and he's probably right. Clemson and Alabama clearly are the top 2 programs in this sport right now, and I don't think that can be debated. Two, he might not interview well. I still think the K-State gig is his if he wants it when Darth Snyder retires.....I don't think Snyder has enough pull now to force KSU to make his son his successor.

Your avatar fits.

It's a job, he's a professional. He was offered more money, plain and simple. We had chances to raise his pay and we didnt. We perhaps didnt expect the market to go that high for a DC. Oh well, bad on us.

Oh no question. Isn't Brent Venables the only DC in the country who makes more than Leavitt does? We were also able to go out and hire a guy in DJ Eliot who has done a pretty good job with what he's got to work with through 5 games. No touchdowns in the first two (CSU's offense is really, really good), his unit kept us in the Washington game for almost three quarters, and his unit kept UCLA's offense under 30 for the first time this season.

I would be excited about Brent Venables as a DC at Colorado. Not so much as a head coach.
For whatever reason, I don't see him as HC material. Kind of like Wade Phillips. Great DC. Horrible head coach.

Meh, I could be wrong.

Oh no question. Isn't Brent Venables the only DC in the country who makes more than Leavitt does? We were also able to go out and hire a guy in DJ Eliot who has done a pretty good job with what he's got to work with through 5 games. No touchdowns in the first two (CSU's offense is really, really good), his unit kept us in the Washington game for almost three quarters, and his unit kept UCLA's offense under 30 for the first time this season.

Who cares about his unit? Tell us about his defense!

I don't know whether he was pushed out at Alabama or left on his own, but Michigan made him one of the highest paid assistants in the country so that may partly explain why he left. Brady Hoke was fired after Nussmeier's first season at Michigan so that explains his short tenure there.

Concerns about why he hasn't gotten a HC gig yet are valid, but the same can be asked of Brent Venables who lots of people seem to have a semi for.

I was with you a few years ago, I thought Nussmeier was the **** when he was at UW, that offense was insane. Then came the Michigan disaster, chalk it up to Brady Hoke as HC. Then Alabama, chalk it up to a weird fit as he's probably not a power running game type of OC. But now Florida, where the offense has held the defense back for a few years now. His star has definitely fallen. I'm not as down on him as others; if he were brought in as OC, fine. But no way, if Mac were to leave, should we give him the job. Way too many other more intriguing coordinators more deserving IMO.

I was with you a few years ago, I thought Nussmeier was the **** when he was at UW, that offense was insane. Then came the Michigan disaster, chalk it up to Brady Hoke as HC. Then Alabama, chalk it up to a weird fit as he's probably not a power running game type of OC. But now Florida, where the offense has held the defense back for a few years now. His star has definitely fallen. I'm not as down on him as others; if he were brought in as OC, fine. But no way, if Mac were to leave, should we give him the job. Way too many other more intriguing coordinators more deserving IMO.
Chalk what up at Alabama? Their offense was really good.

I'm actually less concerned with his recent results as an OC - if we're talking about him being a HC then he's probably not calling plays or designing an offensive scheme anyway. What I see is a guy with big time college football experience at blue blood programs, who has coached under and with a lot of really good football coaches. I'd expect him to have coaching contacts as deep as most in the business and I'd expect him to know what an elite football program looks like. Now whether he could build one himself, who knows?

Chalk what up at Alabama? Their offense was really good.

I'm actually less concerned with his recent results as an OC - if we're talking about him being a HC then he's probably not calling plays or designing an offensive scheme anyway. What I see is a guy with big time college football experience at blue blood programs, who has coached under and with a lot of really good football coaches. I'd expect him to have coaching contacts as deep as most in the business and I'd expect him to know what an elite football program looks like. Now whether he could build one himself, who knows?

So good that Saban told him to get lost for Kiffin? FWIW, I think a semi intelligent rock could call a solid game for Bama.

Like I said, the guy just isn't on an upward trajectory. If I were him, I'd head back to the P12 and do whatever he was doing at UW. I just don't see why we'd want to go out of our way to give him the job over a bunch of other more interesting coordinators.

So good that Saban told him to get lost for Kiffin? FWIW, I think a semi intelligent rock could call a solid game for Bama.

Like I said, the guy just isn't on an upward trajectory. If I were him, I'd head back to the P12 and do whatever he was doing at UW. I just don't see why we'd want to go out of our way to give him the job over a bunch of other more interesting coordinators.
Did Saban tell him to get lost? He got a pretty big raise going to Michigan if I recall.

Regardless, I think we sometimes put too much stock in how a coordinator's offense or defense performed in the year or two prior - you're hiring a HC not a coordinator.

Did Saban tell him to get lost? He got a pretty big raise going to Michigan if I recall.

Regardless, I think we sometimes put too much stock in how a coordinator's offense or defense performed in the year or two prior - you're hiring a HC not a coordinator.

idk on his time at Alabama, sure seemed like Saban told him to roll out. Maybe he did end up getting a raise.

I'm not saying you have to hire only someone putting in a top 5 nationally performance, but surely Nussmeier's offense rocking a 97th ranking in total offense so far this year gives you concern?

The last part is a good point and why it's hard to find a good head coach. Their offensive/defensive X's and O's and playcalling got them in that position, and if they end up relinquishing that duty to a coordinator, then they better have other traits that qualify them to be a HC. That's part of the reason I feel comfortable with RG making the next hire, if/when that time comes. I think he possesses many of the same intangible traits and would be able to identify the right guy.

Was perusing some coordinators for schools and came across this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rudolph

If there were another program in the country I'd want to emulate, I think it'd have to be Wisconsin (Or Washington). Their offense is pretty boring, but god damn are they consistent. Seems like every year they're at 10 wins and in the top 15 or so and that's with decently high coaching turnover the last decade. They always have that same damn offense, though. And apparently they don't take shortcuts in the admissions realm, so that's respectable.

idk on his time at Alabama, sure seemed like Saban told him to roll out. Maybe he did end up getting a raise.

I'm not saying you have to hire only someone putting in a top 5 nationally performance, but surely Nussmeier's offense rocking a 97th ranking in total offense so far this year gives you concern?
Not necessarily, it's one factor but I don't think that correlates to how he'd do as a HC as much as we think it does. McElwain has worked with him at 4 different schools (I think) - if he suddenly fired him that would be a concern.

It's rare that a guy has elite results at every stop in his career and guys like Will Muschamp, Lane Kiffin, or Ron Zook can be busts so it's an inexact science. Nussmeier might be a horrible HC, I don't know, he just seems to be a guy that keeps getting hired for important positions at big time programs which caught my attention.

Looks like the show clause Chip Kelly got for the Will Lyles affair after he departed Eugene could be a problem for him going forward. It's expired, but in the wake of what happened last week, some may be cautious to approach him with a show clause on his resume, especially given it was for a similar and comparable offense for what the FBI has been looking into.

Was perusing some coordinators for schools and came across this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rudolph

If there were another program in the country I'd want to emulate, I think it'd have to be Wisconsin (Or Washington). Their offense is pretty boring, but god damn are they consistent. Seems like every year they're at 10 wins and in the top 15 or so and that's with decently high coaching turnover the last decade. They always have that same damn offense, though. And apparently they don't take shortcuts in the admissions realm, so that's respectable.
I like the general concept, but Rudolph has followed Paul Chryst everywhere throughout his career. Wisconsin from 08-11 when Chryst was OC, then Pitt as OC from 12-14, and then aback to Wisconsin. Has a very Rick Dennison/Gary Kubiak feel to it.

I like the general concept, but Rudolph has followed Paul Chryst everywhere throughout his career. Wisconsin from 08-11 when Chryst was OC, then Pitt as OC from 12-14, and then aback to Wisconsin. Has a very Rick Dennison/Gary Kubiak feel to it.

Could very well be. I just thought he was interesting. Wisconsin popped in my mind because of what you were saying in another thread the other day about averaging 9 wins a season and what not. Wisconsin's wins per year is probably pretty extraordinarily high given they aren't in a hotbed and not a blue blood type program.

Also worth mentioning, the Wisconsin magic might not translate well. Chryst was just doing whatever at Pitt (6 & 7 wins), Bielema sucks at Arky, and Gary Andersen seems to be having a lot of trouble at Oregon St. Not saying this guy would be the top of my list if we did have to replace Mac.

Top of my list for coordinators would probably have to start with Dave Aranda or Jeremy Pruitt. Pruitt has such a sick resume, but he also has never had to coach a defense that wasn't top 5 recruiting level loaded.

Could very well be. I just thought he was interesting. Wisconsin popped in my mind because of what you were saying in another thread the other day about averaging 9 wins a season and what not. Wisconsin's wins per year is probably pretty extraordinarily high given they aren't in a hotbed and not a blue blood type program.

Also worth mentioning, the Wisconsin magic might not translate well. Chryst was just doing whatever at Pitt (6 & 7 wins), Bielema sucks at Arky, and Gary Andersen seems to be having a lot of trouble at Oregon St. Not saying this guy would be the top of my list if we did have to replace Mac.

Top of my list for coordinators would probably have to start with Dave Aranda or Jeremy Pruitt. Pruitt has such a sick resume, but he also has never had to coach a defense that wasn't top 5 recruiting level loaded.
Wisconsin is a total enigma to me in the college football world. They've made a bowl game in 22 of the past 24 years, including 15 in a row with a record of 13-9. Been to 6 Rose Bowls during that time period with a record of 3-3, have won 6 Big 10 Championships and played in a total of 8, and won 9+ games 15 times during that period. Oh, and all of that was done under 4 different Head Coaches and two different ADs.

Wisconsin recruiting rankings dating back to 2000: 31 (currently), 39, 35, 41, 32, 40, 65, 44, 46, 42, 37, 32, 36, 30, 36, 31, 56, 22, 34 (Averaging yearly ranking of 38th)

They are the blueprint/model for programs like CU.

Wisconsin is a total enigma to me in the college football world. They've made a bowl game in 22 of the past 24 years, including 15 in a row with a record of 13-9. Been to 6 Rose Bowls during that time period with a record of 3-3, have won 6 Big 10 Championships and played in a total of 8, and won 9+ games 15 times during that period. Oh, and all of that was done under 4 different Head Coaches and two different ADs.

Wisconsin recruiting rankings dating back to 2000: 31 (currently), 39, 35, 41, 32, 40, 65, 44, 46, 42, 37, 32, 36, 30, 36, 31, 56, 22, 34 (Averaging yearly ranking of 38th)

They are the blueprint/model for programs like CU.
Well, yes, but there is one giant hurdle. Wiscy has had 24 OL drafted in those 24 years, with 5 more OL making rosters as UFA's. The reason they have sustained success is they recruit and develop OL like a mutha.

Well, yes, but there is one giant hurdle. Wiscy has had 24 OL drafted in those 24 years, with 5 more OL making rosters as UFA's. The reason they have sustained success is they recruit and develop OL like a mutha.
Looking at their OL recruiting the past 5 years (including this cycle) they have 15 OL commits in that period. 9 of those 15 are from Wisconsin, 2 are from Michigan, 1 is from MN, 1 is from Ohio, 1 is from CA, and 1 is from Hawaii. The difference between the two programs seems to be that the state of Wisconsin produces more OL talent than Colorado, and they ALL want to go to Wisconsin, as opposed to here where almost all the highly touted OL choose to go out of state. Hopefully Moretti and Page are the start of turning that around here.

Back