What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Wisconsin is a successful program but they are not the blueprint for CU.
Didn't mean they should be the blueprint for CU across the board, but I believe there are a lot of natural similarities between the advantages and disadvantages of both the programs and cities where they are located. Obviously, the style of play probably isn't a fit for CU in the Pac 12, so there needs to be more focus on the QBs and WRs, but hard to argue with wanting CU to emulate what they've done in the trenches.

Didn't mean they should be the blueprint for CU across the board, but I believe there are a lot of natural similarities between the advantages and disadvantages of both the programs and cities where they are located. Obviously, the style of play probably isn't a fit for CU in the Pac 12, so there needs to be more focus on the QBs and WRs, but hard to argue with wanting CU to emulate what they've done in the trenches.

CU has been successful enough in the past to know what should be the blueprint. It is not Wisconsin.

CU has been successful enough in the past to know what should be the blueprint. It is not Wisconsin.
Does anybody at CU really know what it takes to be consistently successful in the Pac 12? Also, has CU been successful enough in the recent time period of college football to know what it takes to be consistently successful? I would seriously like to hear you elaborate on this, and I'm not being snarky. Who is the model/blueprint for CU? Washington?

Does CU's past success really provide the recipe for how to succeed in the present? Sincere question. I feel like there are a number of programs out there (Nebraska foremost among them) that are trying to duplicate the way they did things 20 years ago in a world where it no longer fits. Curious for you to expand on what you see as the blueprint for CU success.

Well, looks like Schek beat me to it.

Neither is answering direct questions, which you seem to be unable to do today. Yeesh

What am I not answering? I do not think there is necessarily another school that really fits with what CU needs to do going forward, so CU needs to recruit those three areas hard and things will work themselves out. You can directly infer struggles in the past from ignoring at least one of those areas, along with no commitment to join the facilities arms race.

I do not think there is necessarily another school that really fits with what CU needs to do going forward, so CU needs to recruit those three areas hard and things will work themselves out. You can directly infer struggles in the past from ignoring at least one of those areas.
This would have been a great answer from you originally, although, I would have enjoyed hearing your thoughts on why the CU/Wisconsin comparisons are so far off, even though I understand there are different recruiting demographics.

This would have been a great answer from you originally, although, I would have enjoyed hearing your thoughts on why the CU/Wisconsin comparisons are so far off, even though I understand there are different recruiting demographics.
I think it is clear Wisconsin is on a different level in terms of culture and the support from the school and state itself. They are committed to being the best athletically and it shows.

I'm not sure a program like Wisconsin wouldn't be successful in the P12. Isn't their equivalent basically Stanford and they've been pretty successful lately with the monster OL and power running game thing.

I'm not saying we should start sending Bernardi and Jeffcoat to mine the cow farms for OL, but they sure seem to be doing something right. I wish we developed OL at half the rate they seem to.

Mike Riley looks ready to retire. I think the ridiculous expectations in Lincoln along with having to fire a good friend (couldn’t even fire him face to face) and getting his boss fired have taken a number on him. I watched his postgame after the Illinois win where the Huskers actually looked competent and he was just depressing to watch.

The OC job is Chev's if Lindgren is told to move on or accepts another position. Stop with the talk about bringing someone else in. Chev is on the natural coaching progression path and doesn't need to be mentored.

He’s in a horrible situation.

Good coach. Develops QBs. K its conference. Pretty good recruiter. Would bring identity. Reduce chaos and schoolyard approach.

I have said it before, if you are truly interested in making a big change at OC, Mark Helrich is the guy you target. The hypothetical Riley coach sounds pretty bad.
Who calls the plays in Eugene, Arroyo or Cristobal?

The OC job is Chev's if Lindgren is told to move on or accepts another position. Stop with the talk about bringing someone else in. Chev is on the natural coaching progression path and doesn't need to be mentored.
He is not ready.

Solution for OC

Mike Riley

Good for MM.
chemistry fit.
Mentor Chiv.
It takes a very long time for QBs to develop in Mike Riley's system (something Nebraska is finding out). Many QBs went through OSU with very mediocre/bad years only to break out their senior year. Not sure I'd want that at CU.

Back