What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

With the CU staff filled out and Chev moving to full time play caller at OC is there any word on who will be the recruiting coordinator? I can't imagine Chev has the time or energy to continue in the position.

I'm very willing to be a bag man and keep silent about it. I'd do a great job at that. (Not that CU would ever do that sort of thing.)

fwiw, I'd be a ****ty recruiter because I'd melt down after a while with the b.s. you hear and deal with while having to stay politically positive all the time with recruits/parents/coaches. I'm not a natural salesman. I'm much better as a marketer & strategist who doesn't have to deal directly with people all the time.

With the CU staff filled out and Chev moving to full time play caller at OC is there any word on who will be the recruiting coordinator? I can't imagine Chev has the time or energy to continue in the position.

Does this look like a man whose going to willingly give up his recruiting coordinator title? Chev lives for the challenge.

I'm very willing to be a bag man and keep silent about it. I'd do a great job at that. (Not that CU would ever do that sort of thing.)

fwiw, I'd be a ****ty recruiter because I'd melt down after a while with the b.s. you hear and deal with while having to stay politically positive all the time with recruits/parents/coaches. I'm not a natural salesman. I'm much better as a marketer & strategist who doesn't have to deal directly with people all the time.
Former Buff, Ted Johnson, is on the radio down here and I heard him the other day, say that he has no interest at all in coaching at the college level because of all that goes into the sales aspect of recruiting. Said he couldn't stomach the amount of butt kissing required.

Does this look like a man whose going to willingly give up his recruiting coordinator title? Chev lives for the challenge.

Probably better placed in the recruiting forum, but kinda interesting that Chev includes the #CUin18 in that tweet. Looks like the hunt continues for some ballers to close out this class.

Probably better placed in the recruiting forum, but kinda interesting that Chev includes the #CUin18 in that tweet. Looks like the hunt continues for some ballers to close out this class.
Maybe. Could also just mean that he's visiting kids who have already signed. It's not like they stop talking to them until they arrive.

1*QLCaAVZxQ9vmg6ZqMEstuw.jpeg

There's a whole lot of TBD behind UW, Stanford, Utah and WSU in my opinion. To me, there's no question that those 4 can coach.

Kelly is a tbd as this will be his first run with a staff of his own construction.
MM and Helton I'd put in the middle, but this year will be very telling for both.
Sumlin has made every program worse after year 1. He is not top half.
Wilcox had an impressive year 1, but would want to see a few more years.
No information for the other 3. How do they put Cristobal up there, only because he's known as a good recruiter?

Their rating of MM is pretty laughable. Put the OSU coach ahead of him? Ok....

Chev is still listed as the recruiting coordinator on the CUAD website. It's been updated with the new hires so I would think there would have been a press release and website update by now if Chev was going to give up the RC title.
http://cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?path=football#sidearm-roster-coaches

Fallout from the mich st rapist - the AD has been fired & there is allegedly some heat on Dantonio and Izzo.

Edit: AD "stepped down". Barstool sports speculates on twitter that both coaches may resign.

Last edited:
Chev is still listed as the recruiting coordinator on the CUAD website. It's been updated with the new hires so I would think there would have been a press release and website update by now if Chev was going to give up the RC title.
http://cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?path=football#sidearm-roster-coaches
Out of curiosity are many coordinators also the recruiting coordinator at other schools? I'm not saying Chev can't do it, he is qualified and a motivated football coach. Just seems like a huge amount of work to combine both. But in my ignorance I may be way off on this.

Go Chev, go Buffs!

There's a whole lot of TBD behind UW, Stanford, Utah and WSU in my opinion. To me, there's no question that those 4 can coach.

Kelly is a tbd as this will be his first run with a staff of his own construction.
MM and Helton I'd put in the middle, but this year will be very telling for both.
Sumlin has made every program worse after year 1. He is not top half.
Wilcox had an impressive year 1, but would want to see a few more years.
No information for the other 3. How do they put Cristobal up there, only because he's known as a good recruiter?

Their rating of MM is pretty laughable. Put the OSU coach ahead of him? Ok....

I’m a HCMM fan, but we did not look well coached last year.

I’m a HCMM fan, but we did not look well coached last year.
First year I'd actually say that about the team, so I see it as a warning flag but also something I can put in the rearview very quickly if it doesn't happen again. Not everyone is like that, though. Lots of people are very reactionary and have short memories. Case in point, the thousands of Florida State fans who decided in 2017 that Jimbo Fisher was a bad coach.

Really? Why? Did you misplace the "bag"?
He canceled his visit. And Adam said a few days ago* that he's thought to be leaning ASU because it's where he grew up and has family.

*For our newer members - if something is posted by a publisher on a premium site, the AB policy is to respect their business model & friendship by not immediately posting that same information on our free board. We need those sites to be thriving in order for Buff fans to get great coverage. Plus, AB is mostly a compiler of info and not a site that generates much original content or scoop so we rely on the premiums. So, our policy is to wait at least 24 hours before publicly talking about premium scoop unless it is something that has been reported by multiple sites and is no longer "scoop". If you are someone who want things first and in detail, AB encourages you to subscribe to 247sports or to Rivals.

Out of curiosity are many coordinators also the recruiting coordinator at other schools? I'm not saying Chev can't do it, he is qualified and a motivated football coach. Just seems like a huge amount of work to combine both. But in my ignorance I may be way off on this.

Go Chev, go Buffs!

There is a staff of people who handle coordination and admin for recruiting, under Adam Toyama. I'm not sure we've compiled what the duties of CUs recruiting coordinator are, if Toyama reports to him, etc?

I'm under the strong impression that it's not a big load. More of a title for best recruiter to get, to help elevate his pay and status.

In 5 years, Sumlin never had a team win more than a preceding year, with a gazillion dollar budget. After the first year, they had a losing record in the SEC.

But aTm replaced him with Jimbo Fisher who went from 8-0 to 3-5 in the ACC in the last 4 years, getting worse each and every year.
Perhaps they will get "improving results" because they are paying Jimbo and staff way more than Sumlin, who was very highly paid.

I suspect Sumlin will recruit better than any preceding Arizona coach in history, but not be more competitive in general. That may be good enough for Tucson?

Back