What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Wonder what is up with this move. Smells funny as Louisville want terrible. Wilcox plus DeRoyter doesn't need such a position.
I think it's less nefarious than that.

1) He has tons of great experience as a LB coach, but hasn't yet shown he's a good DC. Louisville wasn't happy with him.

2) His family and kids or on the West Coast.

3) Wilcox is his friend.

From what I have read, Sirmon wasn't fired at Louisville. He walked away from a lot of money.
Wilcox adds him to a staff that is already top heavy on the defensive side. Justin Wilcox was a recent standout DC and there's no question about his current DC DeRuyter in terms of capability (also a former HC).

Cal isn't a big budget operation.

That doesn't add up.

1. Either Sirmon was fired the way MM fired Baer (which is not being reported).
2. Wilcox is having problems with DeRuyter (who's known to be inflexible).
3. Sirmon couldn't work for Petrino, no matter what the money.
Last January, Sirmon signed a three-year contract with Louisville worth a $950,000 base salary. That base salary tied for 17th in the country among FBS assistant coaches in....He'd owe back $75k if he doesn't finish his contract.
That's a ton of dough. My guess is that he was Baer-fired a few weeks ago and Wilcox is giving him a rehab job, more title than salary.

Great hire by Wilcox in my opinion.

From what I have read, Sirmon wasn't fired at Louisville. He walked away from a lot of money.
Wilcox adds him to a staff that is already top heavy on the defensive side. Justin Wilcox was a recent standout DC and there's no question about his current DC DeRuyter in terms of capability (also a former HC).

That doesn't add up.

That's a ton of dough. My guess is that he was Baer-fired a few weeks ago and Wilcox is giving him a rehab job, more title than salary.

Agree it is a great hire. Does seem that - based on what I've read - whether or not Louisville was willing to go another year with Sirmon, they were not happy with his performance.

Maybe he and Petrino negotiated a compromise. Can't imagine that Cal has the budget to hire him at a high salary, but if Louisville is paying part of the difference, it would be a win-win. With the #'s Louisiville is losing on D, I think it was a genius move by all.

Agree it is a great hire. Does seem that - based on what I've read - whether or not Louisville was willing to go another year with Sirmon, they were not happy with his performance.
This is what it looks like to me, a mutual parting by two parties who knew it wasn’t working out. He’s been most successful while under Wilcox. Now he’s back. That, and Cal had an opening in this spot when their last LB coach got hired as Chip’s new DC in LA.

According to this, he’s takimg a 300k paycut. http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/didnt-take-peter-sirmon-long-find-new-gig/

Last edited:

That doesn't add up.

Sirmon has a rep as a pretty solid recruiter, and DeRuyter will move on eventually.......more than likely to a bigger power 5 DC spot. Don't know if he'll get another shot to run his own show.......especially after Jeff Tedford won 10 games with his players in Fresno this year.

Sirmon was making $950k/year on a 3 year contract. He had $1.9M left on it. I can't see that he walked from that to coach at Cal for $1M less over the next 2 years.
The dude doesn't love "family" that much.

Sirmon was making $950k/year on a 3 year contract. He had $1.9M left on it. I can't see that he walked from that to coach at Cal for $1M less over the next 2 years.
The dude doesn't love "family" that much.
the man loves his family. I'm not going venture to put a value on it but you DO NOT know what is going on in his family or the value HE places on it. but be my guest, carry on, man

the man loves his family. I'm not going venture to put a value on it but you DO NOT know what is going on in his family or the value HE places on it. but be my guest, carry on, man

Probably as much about getting to work for his BFF Wilcox as much as anything. Not a huge deal, but its just more proof he's basically DJ Eliot with more of a West Coast background.

Dude, I'm just stating the facts as they've been reported. You went from "my wife is facebook friends" to evidently knowing a lot more than is being reported?

As far as I can tell, he nor his family have ever lived in NorCal or anywhere closer than a plane ride. That's a **** ton of money to still be a plane ride away from "home" in Seattle, if that's a case. And this is relevant, because we almost hired him.

Dude, I'm just stating the facts as they've been reported. You went from "my wife is facebook friends" to evidently knowing a lot more than is being reported?

As far as I can tell, he nor his family have ever lived in NorCal or anywhere closer than a plane ride. That's a **** ton of money to still be a plane ride away from "home" in Seattle, if that's a case. And this is relevant, because we almost hired him.
not his side of the fam, she shared in her post that she they were looking to get back west to be closer to her (and his) families

OK, so if that's the case, he walked from a **** ton of money and a DC job to be closer to his wife's family in NorCal. That is very selfless of him. And we dodged a giant bullet right there folks. Replacing our DC again after one year would have have been a major setback.

I hope to God he played Petrino on this. Hey Bobby, you don't like me and you owe me a bunch of money. How about I resign and you agree to pay me half the money? Win Win? That would be fantastic!

Like always it’s probably somewhere in the middle. I guarantee if Louisville had a better defense this year and Petrino was satisfied with his performance he wouldn’t have taken a lesser job at cal just to get back to his family. But since Petrino obviously doesn’t really know how to coach defense or formulate a plan to do so it probably influenced his decision to move back out west.

Crazy rumor down here is that Cale Gundy (OU staff) may be looking to join Sumlin in Tucson. Or, he could be copying his brother and making a ploy for a pay raise.

Like always it’s probably somewhere in the middle. I guarantee if Louisville had a better defense this year and Petrino was satisfied with his performance he wouldn’t have taken a lesser job at cal just to get back to his family. But since Petrino obviously doesn’t really know how to coach defense or formulate a plan to do so it probably influenced his decision to move back out west.
Probably wants an opportunity to call the offense. He is like third in line behind Riley and the other co coordinator.

Your friend is a dumb ass
ded.gif

I'm so glad that ASU hired Herm Edwards.

“Where recruiting has gone. Mike, this is almost like professional football when it comes to recruiting kids and evaluating these guys. It’s big. We’re already on the 2019 guys.”
“I basically came in here and set up a pro model of how we’re going to go about evaluating players. But the evaluation is the key here in college football. It’s not like in pro football. In pro football, it’s interesting because when you win, you draft last but in college football you recruit. You have to go after guys.”
“It’s, I’ll tell you what now, you’re not only recruiting kids, sometimes you’re trying to recruit the parent too. That’s what amazing. You have to stay in contact with these kids.”

“Where recruiting has gone. Mike, this is almost like professional football when it comes to recruiting kids and evaluating these guys. It’s big. We’re already on the 2019 guys.”
“I basically came in here and set up a pro model of how we’re going to go about evaluating players. But the evaluation is the key here in college football. It’s not like in pro football. In pro football, it’s interesting because when you win, you draft last but in college football you recruit. You have to go after guys.”
“It’s, I’ll tell you what now, you’re not only recruiting kids, sometimes you’re trying to recruit the parent too. That’s what amazing. You have to stay in contact with these kids.”

That's delicious.

He's really going to love the learning curve when he finds out the time limitations during camp.
I hadn't even though about that. They may need to spoon feed him. I mean, I was afraid that if he learned that offers are going out to 2020 recruits and the 2021 guys are being evaluated that he might have an aneurism.

this might be worse than I ever thought possible

I almost feel bad for him

Back