What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

My Notre Dame buddy who teaches in Denver is rather amused at the rumors going around about ND poaching Mac.

Leach would actually be a good fit at Notre Dame. I'd love to see what he could do with the talent he could get there.

He's catholic, which is a big bonus for a coach there since his bosses are priests.
I'm not sure his latest musings about life existing elsewhere in the universe would go well with the rank and file at ND.

I'm not sure his latest musings about life existing elsewhere in the universe would go well with the rank and file at ND.
(Way off topic.)
You'd be surprised. RCC actually has made statements on this. Pope Francis said it's ok for catholics to believe that aliens exist and that he would be cool with baptizing them if we meet intelligent life. All this in the past decade. RCC also does a lot of astronomy. Actually makes me think they know something - and have known something for a long time - that they're laying the groundwork to eventually tell us.
8431.jpg

Add Bob Davie to the hot seat list.

The Davie investigation was initiated in recent months, sources say, following the latest round of athlete exit interviews conducted over the spring.

NMFishbowl.com has not been told who the school has tasked with carrying out the investigation, or what precisely triggered it. However, sources say that the severity and volume of the allegations made by players were deemed to be of a serious enough nature as to warrant outside review.

“I can confirm there is an investigation underway in Athletics,” said UNM spokesperson Cinnamon Blair. “We are not going to comment on the details or the individuals involved until the investigation is complete.”

(Way off topic.)
You'd be surprised. RCC actually has made statements on this. Pope Francis said it's ok for catholics to believe that aliens exist and that he would be cool with baptizing them if we meet intelligent life. All this in the past decade. RCC also does a lot of astronomy. Actually makes me think they know something - and have known something for a long time - that they're laying the groundwork to eventually tell us.
8431.jpg

Indeed it is, but funny to contemplate, nonetheless. I'll admit, I'm not current on the Holy See's position on aliens nor the rest of the RCC. Progressive thinking - surprising to me, actually.

I think Notre Dame makes Bob Stoops say no before they go anywhere else. He's Irish-Catholic, he's from the Midwest, and he has a home in Chicago.
This is interesting.

And disconcerting.

Stoops is a really good coach; he's much better than he usually gets credit for. For that reason, I would really hate to see him in South Bend.

He was kicking the tires on the CU job after MM's 2nd season here? Regardless, Oregon State was the best job he could get after a pretty successful couple seasons at Wisconsin?

Yeah.....I doubt he would have taken this gig then after turning it down two years earlier.

I'd add Narduzzi and Brohm to ND as well.

Fitzgerald isn't going to Notre Dame-IIRC, they showed interest in him after they fired Charlie Weis and he told them no. He's a Northwestern alum, and at this point he's got coach-for-life status there. If they fire Brian Kelly, they're going to make Bob Stoops tell them no before they look at anyone else.
I could see Chip Kelly in the SEC.....just not at a place where he's going to have to be in the same division with Nick Saban. I think Chip is a smart enough guy to know the talent that fits his system will get beat at the LOS by Saban year in and year out. Don't see him at Auburn or A&M.....and I don't think Ole Miss will touch him either. One more SEC thought for you-If Mike Bobo wins more than 7 games this year, he's going to go after one of those three gigs.

Let me throw a few other things out there-Watch for Idaho HC Paul Petrino's name to pop up for openings in this part of the country. Not a great record, but he won 9 games last year. If he gets Idaho to a bowl game, he's gone-this year is that program's last year as an FBS program. Watch for his name at Arizona and Arizona State......as well as Oregon State if they part ways with Gary Andersen after this year.

Add Bob Davie to the hot seat list.

The Davie investigation was initiated in recent months, sources say, following the latest round of athlete exit interviews conducted over the spring.

NMFishbowl.com has not been told who the school has tasked with carrying out the investigation, or what precisely triggered it. However, sources say that the severity and volume of the allegations made by players were deemed to be of a serious enough nature as to warrant outside review.

“I can confirm there is an investigation underway in Athletics,” said UNM spokesperson Cinnamon Blair. “We are not going to comment on the details or the individuals involved until the investigation is complete.”
They have a game tonight vs boise st. Interesting watch.

Someone one Scout found a Mike MacIntyre thread on A&M's Scout site. Interesting to read the thoughts and opinions of CU and MM from an outside perspective. Honestly, most of what has been said in the thread has been pretty reasonable. Some really like the idea of MM's coaching ability with the talent A&M naturally pulls in, others are concerned about the lack of recruiting chops and say no. Below is part of the OP...
Mac is a coaches coach. He will remind you of Dabo Sweeney in his emotional connection to his players. Not afraid to cry and use words like love and jesus and God. He is genuinely interested in his players and loves the connection with them. You can tell he is passionate about coaching. His father was a coach and his hero. He would coach high school ball for 50K. He's a coach.
National asst coach of the ear as DC at Duke. In his first season as DC at Duke he improved their defense by 10 pts a game. Finished #50 natonally in scoring defense.
has always run a 3-4 defense
Colorado didnt improve their recruiting at all when Mac arrived. In fact, Embree's classes were rated higher in many cases. Not until the 2017 class did Mac get any kind of national bump. His first 4 classes were consistently rated in the 60s. Why?
His first 3 defenses stunk. Rushing defense was terrible. He fired his first DC Kent Baer, after 2 years. Hired Jim Leavitt. Leavitt improved the defense slightly in 2015. Then in 2016 they took a major leap and played really good defense finishing #16 nationally in YPP and #19 in total D and #20 in scoring d. So far this season, their defense has played outstanding.
Statistically, over his career at CU not much stands out. Their offense certainly has been pedestrian. TO margin is nothing special. Of course, his first 2 years they flat stunk. No 2 ways about it. Year 3 they were very competitive and lost a ton of close games to better teams.
He very much appears to be a foundational type builder. Dont expect a lot of jucos or transfers. he wants to evaluate his recruits and find his players and let them grow up. Thats his favorite part of the game. Hes not going to take a lot of mercenaries just to win. He likes the development aspect too much.
He knows DBs. He's going to put 5 players in the NFL as DBs and 4 were 3 stars and 1 was a 2 star. his CB play has been really good. This has been a huge issue for A&M going back 20 years.
His best offense was at San Jose State, where is had John Defilippo as his OC/QB coach, now the QB coach for the Phil Eagles. He's definitely run the ball more at Colorado, but Colorado's offense hasn't been very good.
His recruiting footprint is national. Signs kids coast to coast as you would expect.
Great motivator I believe. Really, really good in front of his team. No question this is his strength. He connects with his team.
Hot and cold with the media. At times seems affable and loose with them and then can be very prickly and sensitive and it can come on quickly. Doesn't seem super comfortable in front of the camera.
Colorado was in terrible shape when he took the gig. Worst program in Power 5. He has certainly built them back up methodically through evaluations and development and team building. Would he be able to do the same taking over a talented team with a few missing parts? Would he be able to handle the recruiting landscape that is far different than what he has been exposed to?
he lost a lot of close games in 2015. Was game management at fault? I don't know.

http://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/The-Mike-MacIntyre-File-107401610

MM in College Station would be disastrous. Horrible fit on both sides. He'd make a better coach at UT (I just threw up a little in my mouth).

MM in College Station would be disastrous. Horrible fit on both sides. He'd make a better coach at UT (I just threw up a little in my mouth).

I can see this.

M2 works slowly, he is about building culture, building a foundation.

This may sound strange but UT is much more patient than aTm is. He would have enough talent right from the start at Texas to win the games against the B12 gimees (KU, ISU, TTU,) and enough others to at least get to a bowl game. Texas fans and more importantly boosters would like his personality and give him the benefit, at least for a couple years.

At aTm the bottom of the SEC is much tougher and the fans are more impatient. Not because they should be but they are. I also don't see him being a great fit for the rah rah culture of College Station.

No patience required at aTm. A solid coach would have them winning in year 1. Recruiting is easy at aTm if you are a winner. It's not really recruiting, it's shrewd evaluation. Recruiting to Colorado after Hawkins is akin to miracle working. That's not the situation in College Station, just like it wasn't the situation in Alabama.

The only school that I see Mac going to if they had the commitment and the money would be Georgia Tech. No other school makes that much sense because while MM has shown that he can "Build" a team, he has no track record of finishing the deal and "Winning" championships. We have Mac for at least 3 more years. Jay Mac will become a Grad Assistant and when he is ready, will follow in his dad's footsteps.

The only school that I see Mac going to if they had the commitment and the money would be Georgia Tech. No other school makes that much sense because while MM has shown that he can "Build" a team, he has no track record of finishing the deal and "Winning" championships.
He also does not have a record of not being able to finish and win championships, as he's always been promoted before having to climb that hill.

My point is that we don't know, and we have no track record from which to speculate.

He might be able to win championships. He might not be able to.

I think he's earned the opportunity to try, and I think it will take a lot for him to not have that opportunity at CU.

Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
LSU
Mizzou
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Tennessee
Texas A&M
UCLA

All programs that could be looking for new HCs next year. Which is the best job?

Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
LSU
Mizzou
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Tennessee
Texas A&M
UCLA

All programs that could be looking for new HCs next year. Which is the best job?
Why would Florida be ditching Sparkles?

I agree with Duff Florida is probably the best job on that list right now.

Mizzou could pull out a good hire. Feel like it is a great time to take that job over. Low expectations, lots of money and great access to recruits.

Back