What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

The point is not really that CU has suddenly passed NU in terms of desirability, but rather NU has slipped considerably. They can still find a good coach, but it will actually take some work.

I kind of want to see kNU go 7-5, fire Riley, and have to reach way,way, way down on the list to fill the toxic HC position. Is that wrong?

I really want them to lose every game. But a much more realistic outcome is them squeaking by Rutgers and Illinois in their next two, with the Nub Lovers thinking that maybe everything is fine, and then losing 7 in a row to finish the season.

Nebraska, as a program and a fanbase, just needs to stop living in the past and accept that they haven't been truly relevant in one and a half decades. The game has passed them by and they're not nearly as big and important these days as they think they are. The parallels between Nebraska and Liverpool FC are very, very striking.

Moderators get this guy out of here for that obscene comment... :mad::mad::mad:

“That job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago, and no one in the administration seems to recognize it,” said one anonymous coach to Athlon.

The college football world:

giphy.gif

Nebraska fans:

RbgYhzI.gif

I liked this post. Then I unliked it so I could like it a second time.

Nebraska, as a program and a fanbase, just needs to stop living in the past and accept that they haven't been truly relevant in one and a half decades. The game has passed them by and they're not nearly as big and important these days as they think they are. The parallels between Nebraska and Liverpool FC are very, very striking.

It doesn't matter at this point who they hire. Unless they go full Baylor level renegade they aren't coming back to the glory years and even that may not do it.

Their B12 connection is gone, the Texas recruits don't want to go there anymore.
They aren't in the big bowl games and on national TV every week, the California recruits don't want to go there anymore.
The old Osborne staff connections are almost all gone. The legacy kids don't want to go there any more.
They are getting beat regularly in the B1G. The top Midwest kids would rather go to tOSU, Mich, Wisc. Mich St. etc.

The talent coming in isn't on par with the talent going out, it's been happening for over a decade now. They will still get some kids who are impressed by the polyester filled stadium and the adoration of the tractor driving fans but they aren't getting enough. The talent they have isn't going to make any coach look like a genius.

Riley was a highly respected coach and couldn't make them happy,
Pelini the same, they fired Solich for winning 9 games, they gave Callahan the boot with a winning record.

Frost probably dreams of the job. They may not have much choice because other than Riley they didn't have much interest last time from name coaches and it isn't likely to get better this time around. Going to be a whole bunch of better jobs available for the name candidates that don't involve unrealistic expectations and living in the US version of Siberia.

The one coach that screams to me pay him anything he wants to go to Nebraska is CHRIS PETERSON, but I think Washington is a better job, and I think Washington would match it. The second coach that screams to me a potential homerun is DAVID SHAW, since his style of offense with running the ball is actually what most Fuskers want to see again. But, when push comes to shove, I believe that SCOTT FROST will be the coach as early as next year depending on the AD. If they hire Trev Alberts, then you will see Frost. If they hire Frost, our LB Coach Els would likely return to Nebraska.

NU needs a turnaround artist.

Let the rumors fly.

You are not very good at this.

The one coach that screams to me pay him anything he wants to go to Nebraska is CHRIS PETERSON, but I think Washington is a better job, and I think Washington would match it. The second coach that screams to me a potential homerun is DAVID SHAW, since his style of offense with running the ball is actually what most Fuskers want to see again. But, when push comes to shove, I believe that SCOTT FROST will be the coach as early as next year depending on the AD. If they hire Trev Alberts, then you will see Frost. If they hire Frost, our LB Coach Els would likely return to Nebraska.

Petersen? Shaw?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

David Shaw leaves for the NFL or not at all.

You think a 3-sport Stanford alum, son of a Stanford coach, who is less than 10 wins away from passing Pop Warner as the all-time winningest coach at arguably the best overall collegiate sports program in the world, with young children, is going to pack it all up and move to Stinkin', Nebraska?

Stanford has flirted with playing for a national title under Shaw's watch. I don't think the relative lack of fan support will ever outweigh the name on the jersey for him. He believes in that school and wants to win the right way.

And oh-by-the-way, Shaw already makes more (3.9m) than Riley does at Nebraska (2.9m).

I don't think his agent would pick up the phone.

I can't see Petersen or Shaw leaving their gigs for NU. I could see them poaching Matt Rhule, or going rogue with Briles. Stoops, the guy at VT whose name I cannot remember, Holgerson, or any of the other established names I hear NU fan throw around are not coming. Any coach with a decent P5 gig (meaning anybody other than KU, MIzzou, or Iowa St.) is not going to jump ship for NU. It just is not that good of a job anymore and the expectations are crazy. The exception would be Bielema, as others have suggested, if Arky is ready to cut him loose. Other than that, maybe Frost since he is a member of the cult of corn, or an NFL retread, G5 wanna be or hot shot coordinator, and even the top flight coordinators are going to think twice. A name that would be funny, but not likely, Bobo. If I wanted to see them do well, and I don't, I would suggest AF's HC. He is clean, is a solid X and O guy and I think he would consider it. But in the end, any HC that does not get 10 wins a year and a CFP berth every few years will get run. I don't think there is a coach on Earth who can meet the silly expectations of the Tractor crowd.

Why are all the NAMES in caps?

I think Les Miles or Jim Tressel are the biggest names they could get that would fit in the B1G. They’re both approaching their mid 60s tho. Lol at Chip, Peterson, or Shaw. No chance.

Supposedly, Dan Mullen really liked the idea of coaching in Lincoln but it’s hard to tell how true that is with their homer writers.

It’s just hard to envision any up and comer wanting the job. It’s not just pressure and unrealistic goals. A lot of schools have that. But unlike most places, Nebraska fans demand overachieving. They think “well we won 9 last year, we should win 10 this year.” That’s not how it works. And you don’t have the talent in the 500 mike radius to make a living off. Add in how other B1G programs are developing and there’s just too high of a probability of it ruining a career.

They need to get the two hires right in a bad way. Their sell-out streak won’t technically end this year, but they won’t have full stadiums and next year could be dire unless they reduce prices drastically. Another underwhelming hire would really show where the program is and possibly ruin their mystique forever.

NU is going to have to go the gimmick scheme route to win. Sometimes those gimmicks are actual innovation, most of the time they're just dumb.

But that's just it, they can't do what everyone else in the B1G is doing and be better than everyone else doing it, they've got to do something different. High risk, high reward. But also more frequent, spectacular and entertaining (to us) failure.

Or they can try and out Wisconsin Wisconsin, and stay mired in mediocrity the whole time.

The final option is to sell their souls to the devil young women to the football program and hire someone like Briles.

You are not very good at this.

Petersen? Shaw?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The last time around they ended up with Riley. No way in the world either Shaw or Petersen even looks twice at Nebraska.

They also aren't getting Les Miles or any other "name" guy.

This time around I think it's Frost or a Coordinator from someplace. Likely somebody who has "Nebraska ties."

I could see Les going there. And I think it'd be a bad choice as I have a feeling Les doesn't really want to coach anymore and would do it for the money only.

....The parallels between Nebraska and Liverpool FC are very, very striking.
in the sense that both organizations play a game they call "football" among themselves, but which is considered incredibly dull, boring and "not real football" by almost all real football fans?

Back