What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2022 Bowl Games Thread

Smith? They caught lightning in a bottle with him. Perfect coach for the school.
They might be able to keep him forever, too. Mike Gundy type situation. Former starting QB for probably the best season ever for OSU Beavs. They've already signed him to 2 pay bumps and extensions, most recently a new deal signed this season that takes him up to $4.85M per year starting in 2023 (6 year deal). Not sure why he'd ever leave and why OSU would allow it to happen.

They might be able to keep him forever, too. Mike Gundy type situation. Former starting QB for probably the best season ever for OSU Beavs. They've already signed him to 2 pay bumps and extensions, most recently a new deal signed this season that takes him up to $4.85M per year starting in 2023 (6 year deal). Not sure why he'd ever leave and why OSU would allow it to happen.
Totally agree. From what I hear locally, he’s very happy in Corvallis and has no interest in doing anything else

Why would he? He makes millions in a place he loves with full institutional support. Seems pretty ideal to me.
I think we're going to see more of the trend.

We'll always have the coaches who chase the brass ring and the bag like has been the norm for years.

But I also think that we've gotten to the point where even a mid-level HC job in D1 represents generational wealth. As long as you're in a P5 conference, the resources are now going to be there to allow anyone to make a career decision that's not driven by money.

If you're happy, your family is happy, you have the resources to win, and you have full job security with a stakeholder community that has your back (like Tad at CU), it's kind of a dream job for most coaches. I've got to assume that more coaches will stick with those types of situations if they're fortunate enough to find them.

Duke's Mayo Bowl Question of the Game

Brock Osweiler: Worse QB or worse commentator?

Discuss.

What do I hate more? ND or a SEC team winning a bowl game? Root for Godzilla!
In general, root against the SEC and B1G. Anything which swings the pendulum back to balance college football again would be a very good thing.

Notre Dame, as much as I may dislike them, is pretty much the leader on standing against FOX and ESPN turning CFB into NFL-lite.

I think we're going to see more of the trend.

We'll always have the coaches who chase the brass ring and the bag like has been the norm for years.

But I also think that we've gotten to the point where even a mid-level HC job in D1 represents generational wealth. As long as you're in a P5 conference, the resources are now going to be there to allow anyone to make a career decision that's not driven by money.

If you're happy, your family is happy, you have the resources to win, and you have full job security with a stakeholder community that has your back (like Tad at CU), it's kind of a dream job for most coaches. I've got to assume that more coaches will stick with those types of situations if they're fortunate enough to find them.
I think we see less generational wealth as the P5 becomes the CFP Conference and money dries up for folks outside of the top 40ish schools.

I think we see less generational wealth as the P5 becomes the CFP Conference and money dries up for folks outside of the top 40ish schools.
If that's the direction it goes. Could also stay around the 64-72 range for power conference programs. Gonna be interesting to see how this shakes out. Hell, there's a scenario in the next round (2030s) that USC/UCLA come back to the Pac. Or where there are 5 conferences and 80 programs which make up the new Power FBS conference, however it's structured or named.

I mean, it wasn't too long ago when the national narrative was that the Big Ten was dead because of population migration & recruiting talent -- then they made strong moves with coaches, incredibly savvy media structure, and new market expansions. All I know for sure is that the current conditions do not define the future conditions. Still a lot of moving parts.

Back