What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

When they were winning, recruiting wasn’t a problem. 4-5 years of losing/ mediocre seasons will make it hard to climb back up to a top program because they lack some of the other attractions.
Well that’s my point lol: according to the recruiting sites, recruiting still isn’t a problem. But when you analyze the players they’re getting, it’s pretty easy to see why Nebraska had 4 and 5 win seasons in the span of 3 years. The 4*s they’ve been getting have either busted (due to a number of issues, but mostly that Nebraska ended up being the best option at the end of the cycle) or they never ended up making it to campus because they were academic risks in the first place.

I think Pelini is their cap, which is more than fine if their fans are willing to accept it. Some solid wins, a ton of gimme wins, some bad losses, and not enough firepower to be in the national championship convo. Get back to actually evaluating and then coaching up the 3*s who were missed instead of trying to snatch up any overrated 4*s who will look your way (for a reason!).

Those Cornheads are already drowning themselves in kool-aid.
I hear you. I had to drive all the way to Boulder to find an old batch of Kool Aid that someone hadn't tapped yet. That **** is getting expensive. Must be the game vs Nebraska driving up the price in Colorado.

Well that’s my point lol: according to the recruiting sites, recruiting still isn’t a problem. But when you analyze the players they’re getting, it’s pretty easy to see why Nebraska had 4 and 5 win seasons in the span of 3 years. The 4*s they’ve been getting have either busted (due to a number of issues, but mostly that Nebraska ended up being the best option at the end of the cycle) or they never ended up making it to campus because they were academic risks in the first place.

I think Pelini is their cap, which is more than fine if their fans are willing to accept it. Some solid wins, a ton of gimme wins, some bad losses, and not enough firepower to be in the national championship convo. Get back to actually evaluating and then coaching up the 3*s who were missed instead of trying to snatch up any overrated 4*s who will look your way (for a reason!).
You nailed it. I hope they don't and keep on sukn though.

It is dangerous to anoint a guy like Frost the messiah. Fans will turn on him quicker than a mongoose on a cobra after a slow start.

It is dangerous to anoint a guy like Frost the messiah. Fans will turn on him quicker than a mongoose on a cobra after a slow start.
You couldn't be more wrong on the fans turning on Frost after a slow start. Everyone, and I mean everyone who follows Nebraska Football knows (and expects) Frost will need a few seasons to get things going. I'd say we'll know more about the real direction of the program after season 3. If season 3 is marginal then talk of rioting will start.

Edit: But that doesn't mean the Kool Aid supply in Nebraska won't be in short supply. Especially the red colored flavors.

You couldn't be more wrong on the fans turning on Frost after a slow start. Everyone, and I mean everyone who follows Nebraska Football knows (and expects) Frost will need a few seasons to get things going. I'd say we'll know more about the real direction of the program after season 3. If season 3 is marginal then talk of rioting will start.

Edit: But that doesn't mean the Kool Aid supply in Nebraska won't be in short supply. Especially the red colored flavors.
When the Nubs get blown out week in week out in conference, Husker nation will be on full melt down mode. I can already see the For Sale signs in his front yard.

It will go like this. “He was a great QB but he is a crappy coach.”

I appreciate this, its realistic. But I still think you're full of **** for being on this site and full of **** for being a Nubs fan. It's true, Frost is a really good coach, and a godsend for Fuskernation. But you can still expect me to byich the **** out of you for being a Nubs fan and for being on this site. I still will have hate and piss bags for all your cornholio cornlanders too.
**** you.
I mean, nice job keeping it real.
But still, **** you.

I appreciate this, its realistic. But I still think you're full of **** for being on this site and full of **** for being a Nubs fan. It's true, Frost is a really good coach, and a godsend for Fuskernation. But you can still expect me to byich the **** out of you for being a Nubs fan and for being on this site. I still will have hate and piss bags for all your cornholio cornlanders too.
**** you.
I mean, nice job keeping it real.
But still, **** you.
Hope you feel better after that temper tantrum.
Neg Rep to you.

Fair. More knowledgeable outside perspective than I'm used to seeing.

Here's the deal:

On special teams, CU is more solid than it's been in years. Both kicker and punter are really good along with having a lot more depth of speed for returns and coverage. Might be the team strength, which we haven't seen in a long time in Boulder.

On offense, the WRs don't take a step back from 2017 and probably are able to help Montez a lot more because they're big bodied guys this year. The past 2 years, despite the numbers those seniors put up, they struggled beating press coverage and physicality so they were rarely open quickly unless there was a defensive breakdown. With the current group. they're open even when they're covered and I don't think they give up anything on the big play threat. CU has more of a threat at the TE position than it has had, too. McMillian, like Lindsay, is a very good receiver out of the backfield also.

The offense, as the preview got into, really comes down to the OL and Montez. If Montez takes the mental step in his development this year and shows some leadership and an ability to read a defense, he has the tools to be scary good. With the OL, there is a lot of youth and an injury recovery question with Lynott. But the talent level has been raised. The big thing it has been missing for years is nastiness. Guys like Moretti and Tonz are violent and nasty. If that mentality surfaces and coaching overcomes the inexperience, particularly at C where we are playing a very talented guy in Pursell who greyshirted and then redshirted so isn't a typical freshman, then this OL could be surprisingly good. I think that right now it is fair to assume that Montez is uneven in his performances and that the OL struggles, so predicting an uneven offensive output is reasonable. However, there's a very definite path I can see to this offense being dynamic and also able to grind teams when it's called for. Lots of potential upside that could surprise a lot of people.

With the defense, strength up the middle has to be there within this scheme. Two senior safeties and two senior inside linebackers give a very strong core. On the outside, CU returns both Udoffia and Wigley at CB who both started a lot last year. But there's a good chance that neither of those guys starts in 2018. RS-Freshman Miller looks to be locked in as CB1. He's a freak. CB2 is the main DB position battle in fall camp and the guy not mentioned by the preview is Abrams, who was one of the most sought after JUCO transfers this year. Long and athletic, but skinny. Very similar to Ahkello Witherspoon who is now with the 49ers -- but Spoon wasn't ready his first year out of JUCO and Abrams might not be either. If not, Udoffia is the likely starter and he's a former WR who has a nose for the ball. Buff fans don't have many concerns at CB. The question is whether they'll be great or just good. It certainly helps that they've got senior safeties to call the coverage and coach on the field.

OLB is where there are question marks in the back 8 of the defense. Taylor has the potential, as the preview stated, to be a freak. Rare to have a guy with LB size who has the speed so that you don't have to sub out an OLB to go to nickel. But he's also a guy who didn't play HS football and has only his JUCO experience. Speed covers a lot, but we don't know if he's going to be a liability at times too. That's a difficult position to play since it has to defeat the zone reads in the run game while also being able to cover a slot WR in man coverage. The other OLB is really an edge pass rusher that only has limited coverage responsibility and only has to deal with the boundary on zone read run defense. Buffs couldn't generate an edge pass rush from the position last season and the big question is whether the guys vying for that spot can do so this year. True soph Callier flashed early last season with strong pass rush skills, but teams adjusted to his limited arsenal of moves and neutralized him within a couple games. RS-Junior Falo returns after a year's suspension as a guy CU was counting on to be the starter last season. RS-Frosh Wells is the 3rd guy who could be the real wild card here. Last with the LBs, the inside finally seems to have depth that will allow Gamboa and Lewis to avoid getting worn down from playing too many snaps. Jones and Landman look ready to play a lot.

Which brings us to the DL. It was horrible last year. We lost Jackson to graduation, who was easily our best DL from a group that struggled. But depth seems to be much better this year and experience should help. Edwards at NT is probably the biggest key. If he can hold the point of attack this year, watch out. He was one of the top JUCO transfers in 2017, but his fitness and technique were horrible. But he's the biggest and strongest guy on the team and there's a new position coach. Senior. His backup, Tuiloma, is also huge and will be an experienced RS-Junior this year who should be able to take enough snaps to keep Edwards fresh. There's also a senior, Franke, who is more the size of a one-gap DT but rotates in at NT on passing downs while also giving some at the DE spots. He'll be effective and help the team win in his limited snaps. At DE, we've got Mulumba who was another 2017 JUCO. One of the most improved guys from the start of last season to the end and he could be a handful as a senior in 2018. He will start. Opposite him will be a mix of Johnson (JUCO transfer) who was mentioned in the preview. He's a bull who is shorter than what you normally see from a 3-4 DE and reports from the spring were that his tenacity and low pad level gave the OL a lot of trouble. His main competition to start who will likely rotate with him is pretty much the opposite. Lang is a RS-Frosh CU was able win a recruiting battle with USC for in 2017 who is like 6'7" but came in very undersized last year after losing a lot of weight focusing on the classroom and getting eligible in the spring & summer. He had been slated to play as a true frosh but had to redshirt because he was down to like 250 lbs. World of talent and could be the wildcard. Also, true freshman Antwine was a big recruiting win for us in 2018 over Oklahoma State (flipped him late) and he could be a guy who comes in and starts from day one.

Lots of pieces and lots of questions on the defense. It could be bad, it could be uneven, it could be damn good.

Other than special teams, that's the theme for this year. Lots of potential and reason to be confident that every position is manned by a good player with depth, but we've got no idea how it will all gel together or whether our QB will develop as a veteran leader who treats it like a job. I'd say it's actually a deeper and more talented team than we had in 2016, but that team had a group of seniors in all the key spots that had talent and a huge hunger to go out as winners after what they'd suffered for 3 years. My biggest question in 2018 probably comes down to that hunger. 2017's team got complacent and cocky, thinking they'd arrived after the 2016 season. Will the 2018 team learn from that and make sure it never happens again? If so, watch out.

Last edited:

Here's the deal:

On special teams, CU is more solid than it's been in years. Both kicker and punter are really good along with having a lot more depth of speed for returns and coverage. Might be the team strength, which we haven't seen in a long time in Boulder.

On offense, the WRs don't take a step back from 2017 and probably are able to help Montez a lot more because they're big bodied guys this year. The past 2 years, despite the numbers those seniors put up, they struggled beating press coverage and physicality so they were rarely open quickly unless there was a defensive breakdown. With the current group. they're open even when they're covered and I don't think they give up anything on the big play threat. CU has more of a threat at the TE position than it has had, too. McMillian, like Lindsay, is a very good receiver out of the backfield also.

The offense, as the preview got into, really comes down to the OL and Montez. If Montez takes the mental step in his development this year and shows some leadership and an ability to read a defense, he has the tools to be scary good. With the OL, there is a lot of youth and an injury recovery question with Lynott. But the talent level has been raised. The big thing it has been missing for years is nastiness. Guys like Moretti and Tonz are violent and nasty. If that mentality surfaces and coaching overcomes the inexperience, particularly at C where we are playing a very talented guy in Pursell who greyshirted and then redshirted so isn't a typical freshman, then this OL could be surprisingly good. I think that right now it is fair to assume that Montez is uneven in his performances and that the OL struggles, so predicting an uneven offensive output is reasonable. However, there's a very definite path I can see to this offense being dynamic and also able to grind teams when it's called for. Lots of potential upside that could surprise a lot of people.

With the defense, strength up the middle has to be there within this scheme. Two senior safeties and two senior inside linebackers give a very strong core. On the outside, CU returns both Udoffia and Wigley at CB who both started a lot last year. But there's a good chance that neither of those guys starts in 2018. RS-Freshman Miller looks to be locked in as CB1. He's a freak. CB2 is the main DB position battle in fall camp and the guy not mentioned by the preview is Abrams, who was one of the most sought after JUCO transfers this year. Long and athletic, but skinny. Very similar to Ahkello Witherspoon who is now with the 49ers -- but Spoon wasn't ready his first year out of JUCO and Abrams might not be either. If not, Udoffia is the likely starter and he's a former WR who has a nose for the ball. Buff fans don't have many concerns at CB. The question is whether they'll be great or just good. It certainly helps that they've got senior safeties to call the coverage and coach on the field.

OLB is where there are question mark in the back 8 of the defense. Taylor has the potential, as the preview stated, to be a freak. Rare to have a guy with LB size who has the speed so that you don't have to sub out an OLB to go to nickel. But he's also a guy who didn't play HS football and has only his JUCO experience. Speed covers a lot, but we don't know if he's going to be a liability at times too. That's a difficult position to play since it has to defeat the zone reads in the run game while also being able to cover a slot WR in man coverage. The other OLB is really an edge pass rusher that only has limited coverage responsibility and only has to deal with the boundary on zone read run defense. Buffs couldn't generate an edge pass rush from the position last season and the big question is whether the guys vying for that spot can do so this year. True soph Callier flashed early last season with strong pass rush skills, but teams adjusted to his limited arsenal of moves and neutralized him within a couple games. RS-Junior Falo returns after a year's suspension as a guy CU was counting on to be the starter last season. RS-Frosh Wells is the 3rd guy who could be the real wild card here. Last with the LBs, the inside finally seems to have depth that will allow Gamboa and Lewis to avoid getting worn down from playing too many snaps. Jones and Landman look ready to play a lot.

Which brings us to the DL. It was horrible last year. We lost Jackson to graduation, who was easily our best DL from a group that struggled. But depth seems to be much better this year and experience should help. Edwards at NT is probably the biggest key. If he can hold the point of attack this year, watch out. He was one of the top JUCO transfers in 2017, but his fitness and technique were horrible. But he's the biggest and strongest guy on the team and there's a new position coach. Senior. His backup, Tuiloma, is also huge and will be an experienced RS-Junior this year who should be able to take enough snaps to keep Edwards fresh. There's also a senior, Franke, who is more the size of a one-gap DT but rotates in at NT on passing downs while also giving some at the DE spots. He'll be effective and help the team win in his limited snaps. At DE, we've got Mulumba who was another 2017 JUCO. One of the most improved guys from the start of last season to the end and he could be a handful as a senior in 2018. He will start. Opposite him will be a mix of Johnson (JUCO transfer) who was mentioned in the preview. He's a bull who is shorter than what you normally see from a 3-4 DE and reports from the spring were that his tenacity and low pad level gave the OL a lot of trouble. His main competition to start who will likely rotate with him is pretty much the opposite. Lang is a RS-Frosh CU was able win a recruiting battle with USC for in 2017 who is like 6'7" but came in very undersized last year after losing a lot of weight focusing on the classroom and getting eligible in the spring & summer. He had been slated to play as a true frosh but had to redshirt because he was down to like 250 lbs. World of talent and could be the wildcard. Also, true freshman Antwine was a big recruiting win for us in 2018 over Oklahoma State (flipped him late) and he could be a guy who comes in and starts from day one.

Lots of pieces and lots of questions on the defense. It could be bad, it could be uneven, it could be damn good.

Other than special teams, that's the theme for this year. Lots of potential and reason to be confident that every position is manned by a good player with depth, but we've got no idea how it will all gel together or whether our QB will develop as a veteran leader who treats it like a job. I'd say it's actually a deeper and more talented team than we had in 2017, but that team had a group of seniors in all the key spots that had talent and a huge hunger to go out as winners after what they'd suffered for 3 years. My biggest question in 2018 probably comes down to that hunger. 2017's team got complacent and cocky, thinking they'd arrived after the 2017 season. Will the 2018 team learn from that and make sure it never happens again? If so, watch out.

In terms of length, your post rivaled a typical Mtn Buff novel, but unlike his posts, I read the entire thing. Well done.

As the obssessed Nebraska hater of the board, I will give a TLDR (not worth the read) preview of Nebraska that nobody needs.

QB
Adrian Martinez will probably be the starter as he’s the guy who fits the offense best. An impressive recruiting win for Frost right away, I think Martinez is mostly the real deal. A senior year injury hurt his recruiting stock tho, and it sounds like several teams backed off of him because of it. Frost beat a new coaching staff at Tennessee for him and I’m not sure what options he ultimately had. Arm strength questions are an early issue, Frost liked to air it out deep at UCF and it sounds like Martinez might struggle with that, even before the shoulder injury. Still tho, he does read and react well and will certainly be an issue in our 2019 game, if not before it. 4* Gebbia is the back-up/possible starter who will be a coach someday. Always working hard on the playbook, he just doesn’t seem to have a frame to play at this level. He’s listed at 185lbs and it definitely looks like it (or smaller) when you see him in game. Also, not really athletic enough for this offense but he tries.

RB
Mostly JAGs here, which is what DiNardo said in his review of their spring practice he watched. Tre Bryant is their best back, but he unfortunately has chronic knee issues and there’s uncertainty with how much college ball he has left in him. Devine Ozigbo is a big plodding back who can be an okay change of pace back every now and then but is just too damn slow to do any kind of feature running. Mikale Wilbon is probably their 2nd best back but he has issues in pass protection and it hurts his playing time. Nebraska writers believe one of these two backs will leave the team. Jaylin Bradley is a Nebraska kid who was one of their lowest rated recruits. Their previous RB coach was a bit like Jeffcoat and didn’t exactly stock their cupboards with RBs. It’s why Frost essentially added 3 RBs in the off-season, including a JUCO. Both the JUCO and Bradley haven’t looked like anything special so far and their highest rated prep recruit likely won’t be eligible.

WR
Definitely their most intimidating position. Stanley Morgan Jr and JD Spielman are serious threats. Tyjon Lindsey is their KD Nixon and McQuitty is a guy they expect to have a big year coming off an ACL injury. Only issue I see is that all these guys are 6’ or well under, which we definitely know how much of a problem that can be. Frost added a bunch of hybrid WR/ATH/TEs in this last recruiting class so maybe they are adding more size but I haven’t heard anything about those guys.

TE
A bunch of JAGs here as well. Like I mentioned above, Frost added a couple hybrid TEs because he knew this was a position that was lacking.

OL
Brendan Jaimes is their best offensive lineman, he played as a true freshman last year and played really well. He can’t seem to get over 290 (hey! Just like our OTs!) but he’s a good one. Farniok is the other tackle who needs some developing. Their best center has had issues staying healthy and was limited this spring with his status being a bit up in the air going forward. It’s caused some shifting and I think it’s a significant issue depth wise. Their guards were highly rated, but not necessarily deserving of their ratings as their options were never that great. It’s showed, as this OL has been soft and was a big problem under Riley. The best thing I can say about them is that they looked better when they were running the ball than they did in pass pro, so maybe Frost can unleash them.

DL
This looked to be a better unit in the spring game (which they weren’t going up against 1st or 2nd string OLs so take it with a grain of salt). I think they have a few depth issues like we had when we switched to the 3-4, they just don’t have a ton of size on the DL yet. Guys who are 275 instead of 290, guys who are 290 instead of 300, etc. Stoltenberg is their starting nose at 305lbs. He’s solid but has had some injury issues.

LB
This unit is okay. I expected Avery Roberts to be a terror, but he was the 4* I linked earlier in here who his position coach called out for being out of shape and not buying in so we will see with him. The ILBs are solid, if lacking some depth. The OLBs gave very little pass rush help last year and struggled mightily in coverage. This is a position that needs to be better. They added a Buff Backer type, but he’s only 200lbs as a converted safety and one of their writers noted that he got taken out of a lot of plays in the spring game.

CB
Woof. Former safety DiCaprio Bootle is slotted to be the #2 CB here because none of the other CBs tackle and he’s one of their better tacklers. He’s a coverage liability though. Lamar Jackson was Riley’s first prized recruit but he’s been terrible. It sounds like Riley promised him a starting job if he came to Nebraska and that’s exactly what he got so he never had to put in the effort. He tries to get out of the way of tackling and his coverage skills have been bust. Eric Lee was their only other scholarship corner in the spring and he struggled last year and lost his starting spot to the aforementioned safety. They’re pursuing a grad transfer from ND because this position is an issue.

S
No depth here and the starters are just okay, nothing spectacular. Their defense was shredded apart last year and their entire secondary played a big role in why.

Conclusion
Nebraska won 4 games last year, got bullied by an NIU team that was mediocre, gave up 54pts to a Minnesota team that didn’t score another TD in their final two games, and ultimately found a way to suck worse than we did with a favorable schedule. I suppose a big turnaround is possible if we conclude that Nebraska had the most incompetent coaching staff in America and now has one of the most competent coaching staffs in America, but I see a lot of deadweight and issues on this team that won’t get ironed out for a couple of years. I’m a homer but I’m not *that* much of an idot. I know we will be the dog in this game, probably for good reason. But I expect a win. Nebraska is bad, they’re soft, and their fans still need humbling (they are predicting a 9 win season with one of the toughest schedules in the nation!). We win 33-21.

Last edited:
As the obssessed Nebraska hater of the board, I will give a TLDR (not worth the read) preview of Nebraska that nobody needs.

QB
Adrian Martinez will probably be the starter as he’s the guy who fits the offense best. An impressive recruiting win for Frost right away, I think Martinez is mostly the real deal. A senior year injury hurt his recruiting stock tho, and it sounds like several teams backed off of him because of it. Frost beat a new coaching staff at Tennessee for him and I’m not sure what options he ultimately had. Arm strength questions are an early issue, Frost liked to air it out deep at UCF and it sounds like Martinez might struggle with that, even before the shoulder injury. Still tho, he does read and react well and will certainly be an issue in our 2019 game, if not before it. 4* Gebbia is the back-up/possible starter who will be a coach someday. Always working hard on the playbook, he just doesn’t seem to have a frame to play at this level. He’s listed at 185lbs and it definitely looks like it (or smaller) when you see him in game. Also, not really athletic enough for this offense but he tries.

RB
Mostly JAGs here, which is what DiNardo said in his review of their spring practice he watched. Tre Bryant is their best back, but he unfortunately has chronic knee issues and there’s uncertainty with how much college ball he has left in him. Devine Ozigbo is a big plodding back who can be an okay change of pace back every now and then but is just too damn slow to do any kind of feature running. Mikale Wilbon is probably their 2nd best back but he has issues in pass protection and it hurts his playing time. Nebraska writers believe one of these two backs will leave the team. Jaylin Bradley is a Nebraska kid who was one of their lowest rated recruits. Their previous RB coach was a bit like Jeffcoat and didn’t exactly stock their cupboards with RBs. It’s why Frost essentially added 3 RBs in the off-season, including a JUCO. Both the JUCO and Bradley haven’t looked like anything special so far and their highest rated prep recruit likely won’t be eligible.

WR
Definitely their most intimidating position. Stanley Morgan Jr and JD Spielman are serious threats. Tyjon Lindsey is their KD Nixon and McQuitty is a guy they expect to have a big year coming off an ACL injury. Only issue I see is that all these guys are 6’ or well under, which we definitely know how much of a problem that can be. Frost added a bunch of hybrid WR/ATH/TEs in this last recruiting class so maybe they are adding more size but I haven’t heard anything about those guys.

TE
A bunch of JAGs here as well. Like I mentioned above, Frost added a couple hybrid TEs because he knew this was a position that was lacking.

OL
Brendan Jaimes is their best offensive lineman, he played as a true freshman last year and played really well. He can’t seem to get over 290 (hey! Just like our OTs!) but he’s a good one. Farniok is the other tackle who needs some developing. Their best center has had issues staying healthy and was limited this spring with his status being a bit up in the air going forward. It’s caused some shifting and I think it’s a significant issue depth wise. Their guards were highly rated, but not necessarily deserving of their ratings as their options were never that great. It’s showed, as this OL has been soft and was a big problem under Riley. The best thing I can say about them is that they looked better when they were running the ball than they did in pass pro, so maybe Frost can unleash them.

DL
This looked to be a better unit in the spring game (which they weren’t going up against 1st or 2nd string OLs so take it with a grain of salt). I think they have a few depth issues like we had when we switched to the 3-4, they just don’t have a ton of size on the DL yet. Guys who are 275 instead of 290, guys who are 290 instead of 300, etc. Stoltenberg is their starting nose at 305lbs. He’s solid but has had some injury issues.

LB
This unit is okay. I expected Avery Roberts to be a terror, but he was the 4* I linked earlier in here who his position coach called out for being out of shape and not buying in so we will see with him. The ILBs are solid, if lacking some depth. The OLBs gave very little pass rush help last year and struggled mightily in coverage. This is a position that needs to be better. They added a Buff Backer type, but he’s only 200lbs as a converted safety and one of their writers noted that he got taken out of a lot of plays in the spring game.

CB
Woof. Former safety DiCaprio Bootle is slotted to be the #2 CB here because none of the other CBs tackle and he’s one of their better tacklers. He’s a coverage liability though. Lamar Jackson was Riley’s first prized recruit but he’s been terrible. It sounds like Riley promised him a starting job if he came to Nebraska and that’s exactly what he got so he never had to put in the effort. He tries to get out of the way of tackling and his coverage skills have been bust. Eric Lee was their only other scholarship corner in the spring and he struggled last year and lost his starting spot to the aforementioned safety. They’re pursuing a grad transfer from ND because this position is an issue.

S
No depth here and the starters are just okay, nothing spectacular. Their defense was shredded apart last year and their entire secondary played a big role in why.

Conclusion
Nebraska won 4 games last year, got bullied by an NIU team that was mediocre, gave up 54pts to a Minnesota team that didn’t score another TD in their final two games, and ultimately found a way to suck worse than we did with a favorable schedule. I suppose a big turnaround is possible if we conclude that Nebraska had the most incompetent coaching staff in America and now has one of the most competent coaching staffs in America, but I see a lot of deadweight and issues on this team that won’t get ironed out for a couple of years. I’m a homer but I’m not *that* much of an idot. I know we will be the dog in this game, probably for good reason. But I expect a win. Nebraska is bad, they’re soft, and their fans still need humbling (they are predicting a 9 win season with one of the toughest schedules in the nation!). We win 33-21.

Their conference is tougher than ours is, and their schedule is a lot tougher. I think if you look at them sanely-Frost will get things back eventually to where they're winning 7-9 games a year (with the occasional special season that would probably involve a schedule that has them missing some of the East heavyweights). That's not happening this year. They play one of the two toughest schedules in the sport-with the other being USC. If they go 6-6 this year, this season is a success for them. I'm expecting 4-5 wins from NU, but I don't think they'll get pasted most times they take the field.

Here's the deal:

OLB is where there are question marks in the back 8 of the defense. Taylor has the potential, as the preview stated, to be a freak. Rare to have a guy with LB size who has the speed so that you don't have to sub out an OLB to go to nickel. But he's also a guy who didn't play HS football and has only his JUCO experience. Speed covers a lot, but we don't know if he's going to be a liability at times too. That's a difficult position to play since it has to defeat the zone reads in the run game while also being able to cover a slot WR in man coverage. The other OLB is really an edge pass rusher that only has limited coverage responsibility and only has to deal with the boundary on zone read run defense. Buffs couldn't generate an edge pass rush from the position last season and the big question is whether the guys vying for that spot can do so this year. True soph Callier flashed early last season with strong pass rush skills, but teams adjusted to his limited arsenal of moves and neutralized him within a couple games. RS-Junior Falo returns after a year's suspension as a guy CU was counting on to be the starter last season. RS-Frosh Wells is the 3rd guy who could be the real wild card here. Last with the LBs, the inside finally seems to have depth that will allow Gamboa and Lewis to avoid getting worn down from playing too many snaps. Jones and Landman look ready to play a lot.

Other than special teams, that's the theme for this year. Lots of potential and reason to be confident that every position is manned by a good player with depth, but we've got no idea how it will all gel together or whether our QB will develop as a veteran leader who treats it like a job. I'd say it's actually a deeper and more talented team than we had in 2016, but that team had a group of seniors in all the key spots that had talent and a huge hunger to go out as winners after what they'd suffered for 3 years. My biggest question in 2018 probably comes down to that hunger. 2017's team got complacent and cocky, thinking they'd arrived after the 2016 season. Will the 2018 team learn from that and make sure it never happens again? If so, watch out.

Thanks for the assessment!! Between 60 hour work weeks, planning and finalizing a destination wedding and honeymoon, buying a new house, moving, graduating and getting ready for job specific state tests I don’t have the time to be up to date on really, anything. May-August is brutal for me.

Thanks for the assessment!! Between 60 hour work weeks, planning and finalizing a destination wedding and honeymoon, buying a new house, moving, graduating and getting ready for job specific state tests I don’t have the time to be up to date on really, anything. May-August is brutal for me.
You need to prioritize better.

Since it’s the off-season we can cut some slack and accept AllBuffs being in #2 position behind midget porn. ;)

Yes since they had to get that information from a CU writer. That information seems spot on. Buffs could get off to a nice start this season. Nebraska is one of five teams with new coaching staffs in place for this season.
Yep! New coach, new players at many positions and with players who rate poorly from the previous staff. CU going into Lincoln ready to kick ass. Not liking the chances for a positive result. The Huskers probably go with 3 wins for the season. Right?

Back